Midwest & Great Lakes November 20-21st Snowstorm

Geos

Guessing I'll get in on the heaviest band a little later. Still snowing good here.

Forecast went from like 5-9" total to 7-15".

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Holy crapola!  My grid has me at 8-16"!  This is freakin' insane...

Tonight

Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 32. North northwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming east northeast after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 5 to 9 inches possible.
Saturday
Snow, mainly before 3pm. The snow could be heavy at times. Temperature rising to near 34 by 8am, then falling to around 30 during the remainder of the day. East northeast wind 10 to 15 mph becoming northwest in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.
  • Like 1

some parts right around Sioux Falls, SD ended up with 17" of snow when they were supposed to get 4-6" :o And the NWS never switched it to a warning for Minnehaha county which is where S.Falls is at. I suppose they figured what's the point? There was already too much to try and warn anyone :P

That's epic. Don't think I have ever heard of a bust that extreme before.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

I am finally up to 3". I got dry slotted most of the day. I'll bet Chicago saw snow before I did. Took until almost 630 to start here. Snow is falling pretty good now but I'm guessing I top out at 6" here. Not bad but it will be much lower than several areas in the state. Northern Illinois looks like you guys are gonna get hammered. Especially you geos I have a feeling.

Congrats to all with the snow, enjoy!! It's hard to say I'm not jealous, hopefully our luck will finally change this year. It has been a very rough couple years for us but things have to change eventually. One thing is certain, the Iowa and Purdue game tomorrow morning at Iowa City will be brutal, I hope Iowa holds serve so the huskers can ruin their run at the CFP next week on Black Friday!! GBR

• Like 1

Latest HRRR model picking up on Lehs for Cook/Lake/DuPage counties around 1:00a,...it really ramps up around 6:00am...Geo's, your area seems like it will be the epicenter...HRRR has a distinct lake plume right into your back yard!  Parts of N COOK may also get in on this lake plume.  What an incredible system around these parts...just full of pleasant surprises.

Maxim, your 6" call may be a bit low... ;) ...might have to double that!  

18" possibly? that might be stretching it though...

Ya, prob...but if you take a look at the HRRR model and notice the Lehs...anything is possible...just like your comment about not believing there would be Thundersnow.  This system is throwing some crazy curveballs.  I've never seen such a "jet streak" produce this kinda snowfall.

That map below is through 1:00pm...still snowing in NE IL...back edge near RFD

• Like 1

My cousin in Deerfield, Illinois is reporting some of the biggest snowflakes he's ever seen. I'm sure he's exaggerating a bit, but it looks pretty incredible on radar.

• Like 1

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

First post of the year... have been tracking this storm since last Saturday and it has only gotten better.

Amazing that the first flakes of winter are going to likely end up being part of the largest storm this winter.  Driving is a mess, big flakes falling and 1+ in per hour rates the past couple hours. It only took about 1.5-2 hours for the snow to start accumulating on pavement. About to go out and check totals, but I expect it to be over 5 inches. This is quite an exciting storm, glad to be a part of it.

My cousin in Deerfield, Illinois is reporting some of the biggest snowflakes he's ever seen. I'm sure he's exaggerating a bit, but it looks pretty incredible on radar.

I wouldn't doubt it...he's prob seeing half dollar sized flakes....it's rip city under that band...frontogenisis at its finest...

Ugh. I can't do it. Omaha sucks. I've lived here 5 years and I think the most snow I've seen at a time is 6 or 7 inches....

I know in 2000 Omaha and most of Nebraska had a snowy winter, especially December. I guess your area has been in a weird location lately. Your location is prime, geographically speaking for big snows. Air masses from the north and south clash over the state for heaven's sake!

Mercer Island, 350 ft