11/29 - 11/30 Plains/Midwest Snowstorm

Tom

0z RGEM.

Hopefully the mixing comes to an end in Omaha and Lincoln early and it goes to all snow.

12z tomorrow.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

I see you have the low level moisture in place in eastern Nebraska. Models showing the mid level dryness working its way out quickly.

Soundings near Omaha at 12z tomorrow. NAM vs. GFS. Above freezing layers more stubborn to leave at the ~800mb level -NAM.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

Does anyone have any updated high res runs?

Think the HRRR is over doing it for the DSM area-- and the 05Z run seems to be more in line-- time will tell.

acsnw_t2sfc_f15.png

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Guest Snowball

This event should have been a low end winter weather advisory and that's pushing it. We have ice build up on trees and sidewalks. When these systems come back through it should be really interesting!

There must be a bunch of young guys now getting into the NWS because they seem to be declining in accuracy over the last several years.  And now they issue Winter Storm Warnings for every little snowfall event.   I remember when they use to only issue those when we were suppose to get clocked.  I feel like we can get more accurate information on this weather forum, and that's pretty sad.

• Like 2

There must be a bunch of young guys now getting into the NWS because they seem to be declining in accuracy over the last several years.  And now they issue Winter Storm Warnings for every little snowfall event.   I remember when they use to only issue those when we were suppose to get clocked.  I feel like we can get more accurate information on this weather forum, and that's pretty sad.

I believe one of the main Mets at OAX(Brian) has been there for quite a few years. Not sure about the rest of them though. 

I suppose they'd rather err on the side of caution, 2* colder and we'd have one hell of a mess.

It was trying to sleet a bit on my way into work 20 minutes ago. Streets are just wet so far.

I believe one of the main Mets at OAX(Brian) has been there for quite a few years. Not sure about the rest of them though. 

I suppose they'd rather err on the side of caution, 2* colder and we'd have one hell of a mess.

It was trying to sleet a bit on my way into work 20 minutes ago. Streets are just wet so far.

The problem with that is once you cry wolf so many times people aren't going to take the warnings as serious.  It use to be if you were in a Winter Storm Warning you knew to expect some pretty heavy snow accumulations.  This will end up being a Winter Weather Advisory level snow at best.

The problem with that is once you cry wolf so many times people aren't going to take the warnings as serious.  It use to be if you were in a Winter Storm Warning you knew to expect some pretty heavy snow accumulations.  This will end up being a Winter Weather Advisory level snow at best.

I agree, but imagine the outrage(likely manufactured via social media) if they didn't issue a warning and we actually got all the ice that was forecasted. 

It's just the way things are anymore...  :wacko:

DMX downgraded several counties near DSM --- only hope for snow here is some wrap around snow showers...

A long time to wait it seems for the next chance....

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I thought you guys in Lincoln were going to get more than 2"! Did the freezing drizzle and sleet last longer than expected?

Mercer Island, 350 ft