Winter Medium to Long Range Discussion; 5+ days out

Geos

Did you even think you'd have temps below zero this month? I highly doubt it. It's coming. 00z Euro Day 9 drops -20C temps right over your neck of the woods under arctic HP. I'm sure you'll also have a decent snow cover around to produce some good radiational cooling. Heck, throw in Maxim as well. If Chicago has snow OTG when the cold snap hits, ORD may get close to ZERO.

Lol the average low is 4 above around the tenth. If we dont go below zero I would be very surprised.

I can survive seasonable cold that hit in mid january.... Been waiting for it since it was first insisted upon coming way back in early january.

Anyways still have a ways to go before it gets here. Got another questionable cutter to track this week...

Lol the average low is 4 above around the tenth. If we dont go below zero I would be very surprised

Lets say -10F...and now way you believed it is to last very long.  Heck, if it goes all out...you may not even crack 0F for daytime highs.

Brrr hope I survive. +11 for december sure beats that +3 that was suppose to happen.

If its an all out.attack as you say there goes another week of snow chances

If you remember, that was an example not an exact figure I called for your region.  Nonetheless, the cold didn't come but the northern tier did cool off from the extreme positive departures.  Move on.

12z Euro showing not 1, not 2, not 3 but 4 systems to track over the next 7-10 days...and then there were people saying this pattern is gonna get cold and dry...come on now...patience...I knew going forward that with all the blocking evolving models were going to act funky...they still are.  Until this first system enters the pattern, we will see models with a better idea.  I bet there are a few on here that thought I was nuts that we would be tracking systems even when the cold hits.  There is no way it will get plain ol' cold and bone dry in this pattern, esp the way the Pacific has been on fire.  Unless of course, your in the Dakotas/MN/Northwoods where the cold will overwhelm the pattern going forward.  I'm also not advising that everyone will be in the best spot...some will, some won't..it's the way nature plays.

• Like 1

12z Euro showing not 1, not 2, not 3 but 4 systems to track over the next 7-10 days...and then there were people saying this pattern is gonna cold and dry...come on now...patience...I knew going forward that with all the blocking evolving models were going to act funky...they still are.  Until this first system enters the pattern, we will see models with a better idea.  I bet there are a few on here that thought I was nuts that we would be tracking systems even when the cold hits.  There is no way it will get plain ol' cold and bone dry in this pattern, esp the way the Pacific has been on fire.  Unless of course, your in the Dakotas/MN/Northwoods where the cold will overwhelm the pattern going forward.  I'm also not advising that everyone will be in the best spot...some will, some won't..it's the way nature plays.

End of the run looks really interesting. 

Total snowfall run on the euro look any good?

I just appreciate where this pattern is going...rain or snow or sunshine...you gotta love the meteorology that is taking place.  The overwhelming blocking that is going to take place screams a coast to coast active pattern.  Canada is going to fill up with some astounding cold and if your on the southern rim of this arctic airmass, wherever it sets up...your going to be golden.  It will obviously shift back and forth as systems roll on through which is a good thing if you want to get hit by storm systems. 

Its a weather forum and he has nothing else to look at but cold rain. Skepticism is fine.

Here is your snow map

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/uploads/monthly_01_2016/post-622-0-58020000-1451847895.jpg

Posting 240 HR snow maps ain't going to do this pattern justice...wait and see how this map looks like in 4-5 days...I'd imagine it will fill in.