Winter Medium to Long Range Discussion; 5+ days out

Geos

But there is a giant high to the north...

If anything I would expect this system to cut south of I-70 and then up the East Coast.

Here's the L at HR 96

http://maps1.pivotalweather.com/models/gfshires/20160111/00Z/f096/sfcconus.png

There's no high even close to being in the picture. 

Oops, I was thinking of the 1040 high on the GGEM.

The EURO and JMA run from earlier actually makes more sense given the pattern and teleconnections.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

The only thing I'm taking in from the models ATM is the fact that once again, the LRC/30- day cycle proved to a great forecasting technique and the models are honing in a strong storm system in the same region (s) this particular storm formed in previous cycles.  The fact that each op run, and ensemble run, it seems this storm is trending stronger.  It was a large storm in the LRC's cycle #1 and the 30-day cycle so I'm optimistic it will repeat again during this period.

The low does start to occlude on the GFS, but a bit too late. Need a slightly cooler scenario than 12/28.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

Ukie looks like the Euro and came south from 12z...

I like that track. High is further south which is good.

Yeah I'm going to start a thread for this.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

Interested to see the euro run tonight. It was the only model to show a system cutting through the GL/MW areas and now the other models have followed. 

Yup, so the King Euro may have taken the first step sniffing this storm out 2 days ago..

Some interesting notes on this week's AO Update from AER:

The models are now coming into better consensus for a stronger pulse of energy transfer beginning next week that is predicted to initiate a sudden stratospheric warming (SSW) at the end of the month.

• The overall negative AO and the elongated polar vortex favor cold temperatures in the middle of the continents including Siberia and the Plains of North America while and active storm track and vertical energy transfer favor more variable and seasonable temperatures in Western Europe and the United States East Coast.

That above statement alone fits with this year's LRC and suggests storms to continue targeting the central CONUS and not ride up along the EC.

We should see a pullback some time later next week...

This pattern will be in place through next week but as the AO trends positive, temperatures are predicted to become more seasonable across the Central and Eastern United States.

The AO will trend negative this week as geopotential heights continue to build across the Arctic.  However next week the predicted strong pulse of vertical energy will force a positive trend in the tropospheric AO but a negative trend in the stratospheric AO.  Once the SSW peaks the tropospheric AO will once again trend negative and the overall negative AO should persist longer than the initial negative AO event that is currently ongoing and is predicted to initiate the SSW. 

Therefore we are more confident that a troposphere-stratosphere-troposphere coupling event is underway (Cohen et al. 2007).   The current strong negative AO is a tropospheric precursor that will initiate a strong burst of vertical energy transfer from the troposphere into the stratosphere the last week of January as seen in the vertical wave activity flux (WAFz) plot (Figure 7).  More recent model runs have trended stronger with this energy burst and are indicating this energy burst will be of sufficient amplitude to initiate a SSW during the last week of January.  

I think what we can gather here is that there will be a significant storm. Somewhere. Where it goes, how much cold air it has and how strong it will be is still unknown but will become clearer with time. Several models have something around the 210-240hr time frame. Will wait to see if this verifies.

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

I think what we can gather here is that there will be a significant storm. Somewhere. Where it goes, how much cold air it has and how strong it will be is still unknown but will become clearer with time. Several models have something around the 210-240hr time frame. Will wait to see if this verifies.

True. This is the first time the op euro has shown the storm with the correct orientation as far as the repeating pattern that it came from. That's why it raises my interest. We'll see if it's still there at midnight. As with the rest, will likely be further SE of the last few like it.

attachicon.gifGFS 12Z Jan. 12.gif

The 12Z GFS goes crazy over Nebraska.  If only this could partially play out.

That's probably the most snowy map I've seen for Nebraska for the last couple winters. 

Mercer Island, 350 ft