Official Weather Complaint Thread

Geos

I have a friend who knows a doctor at Creighton medical here in Omaha. He talked to him today and the doctor told him there is only 134 kits to use at this time. Not sure if he meant just Creighton or in all the hospitals in Omaha. So they can’t even test everyone they want to. They’re having to save the test kits for only the most serious cases. He said they were expecting things to get much worse over the next month and just hoping they can keep up at the hospitals.

• Like 2

Everything is being canceled.  All sports are pretty much done.  It's going to be a rough couple of months (hopefully only a couple).  Let's hope the warming weather eventually helps.

I think this corona virus has 2 or 3 more weeks and then we all should be in the clear

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

It’s going to be longer than that. We’re still hardly testing anyone bc of test kit shortages. Freaking Omaha Nebraska with 650k people has only 134 kits at one of its hospitals. A guy at work who’s been sick for over a week was told he couldn’t get tested bc he didn’t have a high enough fever and they’re basically having to ration test kits for the most sickest.

Epidemiologists think Italy is still 2-4 weeks away from their peak and we’re behind them in the timeline. Most forecasts I’ve seen are May or June. It might slow down during the peak summer months but health experts expect it to return in the fall.

I think this corona virus has 2 or 3 more weeks and then we all should be in the clear

https://youtu.be/E3URhJx0NSw

Really fascinating Joe Rogan interview.  Covers lots of different aspects regarding infectious diseases, including a lengthy discussion of COVID-19.  However, you may need a good stiff drink while watching this.  But limit yourself to just one!  You don't want to be compromising your immune system. 

• Like 2

Looking at a case like China, we have a month at least dealing with it. It slowly started to trickle into China as early as November, but it was covered up. It's why the leaders of Wuhan were all removed from office. We are a few months behind them.

Besides the test being in very limited quantities, it's also extremely unreliable. I think it's why Trump is putting such an emphasis on getting test kits made here. I also think no major government wants to admit that the test kits are not reliable and can give false negatives quite easily.

• Like 1

Looking at a case like China, we have a month at least dealing with it. It slowly started to trickle into China as early as November, but it was covered up. It's why the leaders of Wuhan were all removed from office. We are a few months behind them.

Besides the test being in very limited quantities, it's also extremely unreliable. I think it's why Trump is putting such an emphasis on getting test kits made here. I also think no major government wants to admit that the test kits are not reliable and can give false negatives quite easily.

I clicked the like button although I'm not sure I "like" these comments.  However, unfortunately, I do agree with them.  The lack of testing and the unreliability of those test kits is a major concern.  Hopefully, with the new testing methods coming online, we'll be able to get a better handle on the actual scope and prevalence of this bug.  

• Like 1

I clicked the like button although I'm not sure I "like" these comments.  However, unfortunately, I do agree with them.  The lack of testing and the unreliability of those test kits is a major concern.  Hopefully, with the new testing methods coming online, we'll be able to get a better handle on the actual scope and prevalence of this bug.  

I just watched Trump's conference, they are making much better tests. I think we are in good shape.

• Like 1

Bio Warefare from China. They hate Trump, the Dems hate Trump, both couldn’t be more happy with the USA panicking and the economy crashing. Media caused the panic too...

Awful!!!

Yeah, that crazy fake news media. They are desperate!

If a lot of people would get really sick, the U.S. wouldn't have enough hospital beds.

• Like 1

Bio Warefare from China. They hate Trump, the Dems hate Trump, both couldn’t be more happy with the USA panicking and the economy crashing. Media caused the panic too...

Awful!!!

Oh shut up.  You sound stupid.  You are a moron if you think people are happy the economy is crashing.  My 401K was doing great.  This is not a partisan issue.  Grow up.  Become an adult.  

• Like 2

White House says no more than 10 in a gathering.  Could go until July.  D**n MEDIA!!!! It's too bad the media was on this before the government.  But usually the media services the people better than the government anyway.  That's what makes America greater than other countries.  Accountability.  Just saying something is fake news doesn't make it fake.  

• Like 3

The politicization of this is stupid. This isn't bio-warfare, it's not Trump's fault. Everyone shut up.

Communist Bernie isn’t president yet so we still have freedom of speech, thank God! And this is the complaint thread anyway.

And you are right, it’s no ones fault and I should shut up now!

Cant believe people in Chicago were celebrating St. Patrick's Parade this past weekend. I mean, how stupid can these people be. STAY HOME MORONS!!!!!!

• Like 1

Oh shut up. You sound stupid. You are a moron if you think people are happy the economy is crashing. My 401K was doing great. This is not a partisan issue. Grow up. Become an adult.

This might cheer you up. Dave Ramsey thinks now is a good time to invest and I agree it might be. As Warren Buffet says, (not his words, but you can get the meaning) “when everyone one is investing in a bull market be very afraid, and when many are panicking (especially for no good reason) then go for it and look for opportunities!” Or maybe it was more like “when everyone is greedy, be afraid and when everyone is afraid, be greedy”. haha

https://youtu.be/du1ehAMuy9w

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.realclearpolitics.com%2Fvideo%2F2020%2F03%2F12%2Flimbaugh_remember_the_swine_flu_panic_60_million_americans_infected_300000_hospitalized.html&h=AT37rPzPNwpsvHybxvcSg1OhpESoASfb6okGH0jDXW4KWCscElVXQdpX4ZFOSKRQpZBY_8aADKi1jlWuKKnz7Dk1141kS3gVwXTaRKuyO4wkKmy66M-J7tuVT8xAEMTUHTBA_xXy_Sc&s=1

This is kinda off topic.....I know it’s very important to be careful, but it’s also important not to panic as that only makes the situation worse. Most people already forgot about the swine flu in 2009 which was worse here in the USA and there wasn’t nearly the hysteria there is now probably because most of the media was so inthralled by Obama who they thought couldn’t do anything wrong and was the greatest person in the world. Here is some information (not fake) on that flu...

. Number of infections

In 2009 H1N1 was a new flu virus unlike the other H1N1 viruses that had existed before. Therefore, many young individuals lacked the necessary immunity to prevent the virus from becoming infectious.

A majority of the aged had the vital antibodies against the virus probably because they had been exposed to an older H1N1 virus. A year estimate by the CDC showed about 60.8 million cases of H1N1 in the United States alone. Out of those, about 274,304 patients required hospitalization.

The number of coronavirus infections is nowhere near the levels of H1N1. However, there is a worrying trend because coronavirus transmission can take place from one person to another, even if the infected person does not display any symptoms. As of now, there are about 81,000 cases of coronavirus reported worldwide.

However, there is no cause for celebration yet because the cure for the outbreak has not been found yet. Outside of China, South Korea leads in the number of infections with over 1,595 reported cases while the US has so far recorded 60 cases. Mainland China is the worst affected with over 78,000 cases of infections.

Deaths

The H1N1 caused deaths of around 12,469 in the United States. According to the CDC, between 151,700 and 575,400 people succumbed to death during the first year of the virus circulation across the entire world. Patients aged 65 years and below made up more than 80% of all H1N1 virus-related deaths. Even with a population of 38% of the entire world's population, 51% of the deaths were reported from Africa and Southeast Asia.

In the few months that coronavirus has spread, about 2,800 deaths have been reported around the world. China leads in this respect with over 2,715 deaths as they try to contain the disease. The coronavirus death toll may rise significantly if the infections find their way into underdeveloped and developing countries.

Areas affected

Image: wikimedia.com

Source: UGC

Within the period of the H1N1 flu pandemic, a total of 168 countries had reported more than one laboratory-confirmed case of the virus. This shows that H1N1 still dwarfs coronavirus, which currently stands at 44 countries and regions.

USA was worst hit, but the infection is suspected of having originated in Mexico. Some of the affected areas include Azerbaijan, Gabon, Grenada, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Monaco, Nauru, Swaziland, Suriname, United Kingdom, Chile, Argentina, Canada, Mexico, Thailand, Uruguay, and Paraguay.

Europe Asia and also in South Korea, Iran, USA, Italy, Brazil, France, Norway, Bahrain, Japan, Thailand, Singapore, Georgia, Finland, Pakistan, North Macedonia, Germany, Lebanon, Austria, Greece, Kuwait, Algeria and Hong Kong are some of the nations which have reported the presence of the virus within their borders.

• Like 1

This is kinda off topic.....I know it’s very important to be careful, but it’s also important not to panic as that only makes the situation worse. Most people already forgot about the swine flu in 2009 which was MUCH worse here in the USA and there wasn’t nearly the hysteria there is now probably because most of the media was so inthralled by Obama who they thought couldn’t do anything wrong and was the greatest person in the world. Here is some information (not fake) on that flu...

. Number of infections

In 2009 H1N1 was a new flu virus unlike the other H1N1 viruses that had existed before. Therefore, many young individuals lacked the necessary immunity to prevent the virus from becoming infectious.

A majority of the aged had the vital antibodies against the virus probably because they had been exposed to an older H1N1 virus. A year estimate by the CDC showed about 60.8 million cases of H1N1 in the United States alone. Out of those, about 274,304 patients required hospitalization.

The number of coronavirus infections is nowhere near the levels of H1N1. However, there is a worrying trend because coronavirus transmission can take place from one person to another, even if the infected person does not display any symptoms. As of now, there are about 81,000 cases of coronavirus reported worldwide.

However, there is no cause for celebration yet because the cure for the outbreak has not been found yet. Outside of China, South Korea leads in the number of infections with over 1,595 reported cases while the US has so far recorded 60 cases. Mainland China is the worst affected with over 78,000 cases of infections.

Deaths

The H1N1 caused deaths of around 12,469 in the United States. According to the CDC, between 151,700 and 575,400 people succumbed to death during the first year of the virus circulation across the entire world. Patients aged 65 years and below made up more than 80% of all H1N1 virus-related deaths. Even with a population of 38% of the entire world's population, 51% of the deaths were reported from Africa and Southeast Asia.

In the few months that coronavirus has spread, about 2,800 deaths have been reported around the world. China leads in this respect with over 2,715 deaths as they try to contain the disease. The coronavirus death toll may rise significantly if the infections find their way into underdeveloped and developing countries.

Areas affected

Within the period of the H1N1 flu pandemic, a total of 168 countries had reported more than one laboratory-confirmed case of the virus. This shows that H1N1 still dwarfs coronavirus, which currently stands at 44 countries and regions.

USA was worst hit, but the infection is suspected of having originated in Mexico. Some of the affected areas include Azerbaijan, Gabon, Grenada, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Monaco, Nauru, Swaziland, Suriname, United Kingdom, Chile, Argentina, Canada, Mexico, Thailand, Uruguay, and Paraguay.

Europe Asia and also in South Korea, Iran, USA, Italy, Brazil, France, Norway, Bahrain, Japan, Thailand, Singapore, Georgia, Finland, Pakistan, North Macedonia, Germany, Lebanon, Austria, Greece, Kuwait, Algeria and Hong Kong are some of the nations which have reported the presence of the virus within their borders.

You are comparing a brand new virus we've never dealt with to viruses that have gone through their stages. Corona is worrying because it's far more contagious, and it has the potential to be much larger than H1N1 and all the other viral outbreaks China has blessed us with in the last 20 years.

This attitude is very dangerous. Corona can kill and make a lot more people sick, and H1N1 can't.

• Like 1

Not sure why I bother, but Jesus you're numbers are way off.
First off, I remember H1N1 being on the news all the time. It was also a different time popularity wise for Twitter and Facebook.
People hated the media coverage back then too:
https://news.gallup.com/poll/118258/americans-split-media-coverage-swine-flu.aspx

The numbers of sick for H1N1 were over at least an entire year. Covoid-19 has only been around a couple of months and is still exponentially growing. Most health experts predict 75-150 MILLION people in the US will eventually be infected.
https://www.axios.com/congressional-physician-predicts-75-150-million-us-coronavirus-cases-fec69e77-1515-4fbc-8340-c53b65c22c53.html

"It is estimated that 0.001 percent to 0.007 percent of the world’s population died of respiratory complications associated with (H1N1)pdm09 virus infection during the first 12 months the virus circulated."
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/2009-h1n1-pandemic.html

Not sure where you got those horribly incorrect Covoid-19 numbers but here is an up to date webpage:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Worldwide cases: 190,356 (NOT 81,000)
Deaths: 7525
US Cases: 5,263 (NOT 60) -We've already had 600 more cases announced today.
Deaths: 94
Worldwide death rate: 4%
This is 571 TIMES to 4 THOUSAND TIMES more deadly than the worldwide rate. Most people expect the rate with more testing will go down to 1-2% but you're still looking at something that is 141x-2000x more deadly than H1N1.
Death rate in Italy is 7.8%!!!

Here are numbers for the US. Take a look at the graphs and how the numbers are exponentially growing in the US:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

We're on the same curve as Italy currently just 10-14 days behind.

Infected people with Covoid-19 infect on average 2.5-3 people. The flu is less then 1 person infected for every sick person.
Covoid-19 can take 2-3 weeks for symptoms to show. Sometimes symptoms barely show at all. This leads to much more transmission before it shows itself. You may be fine because you are young with no underlying health issues, but look at the death rates for those that are older.

The biggest concern is the overloading of our hospital system. Hospitalization rates for Covoid-19 is 10-20%, so 10-20 out of every 100. The worldwide hospitalization rates for H1N1 was 22.24 per 100,000!! From your numbers below the hospitalization rate for the US was .4% so up to 50x higher hospitalization rates in the US.
https://www.cdc.gov/H1N1flu/hosp_deaths_ahdra.htm

We need to flatten the curve so there are enough beds. Look at what happened in China where they had to build numerous temporary hospitals. Look at Italy where they are overwhelmed and have a 8% death rate.
The US is already at 60-70% capacity for the number of it's hospital beds available. We can't take on a huge influx of patients.

Do your part to slow this down.

This is kinda off topic.....I know it’s very important to be careful, but it’s also important not to panic as that only makes the situation worse. Most people already forgot about the swine flu in 2009 which was MUCH worse here in the USA and there wasn’t nearly the hysteria there is now probably because most of the media was so inthralled by Obama who they thought couldn’t do anything wrong and was the greatest person in the world. Here is some information (not fake) on that flu...

. Number of infections

Deaths

Areas affected

2DEAB606-C6F3-4FC0-A869-F85042E79D51.jpeg

• Like 2

1 million dead in the US, over 2 million dead if we did minimal preventative measures.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

Modeling that Dr. Brix in the WH mentioned they are using as possible outcomes and planning for mitigation. It is believed that this is one of the reasons why the US changed their guidelines to less than 10 people in gatherings yesterday.

EDIT: now 973 newly reported cases in the US just today and it's not even noon yet.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

EDIT: now 1009 new cases (+22%) and 96 deaths (+10) (+12%) -1140am

Many people die of many causes every year. It's just not as  "news flashy" as a pandemic. We should keep things in proper perspective while doing what we can to minimize the impacts.

Top-10 causes of US deaths.PNG

• Like 2

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 53.1" (90% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.3 Apr: 0.1

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = 53.1" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

And that's what they're doing, they're telling people what the government and doctors are saying to do to minimize the impacts.

The "blame the media" excuse is really pretty sad as well, but you do you. These recommendations aren't Joe Smith sitting behind the news desk coming up with his own ideas.

Governments are listening to the experts(doctor's etc.) on what we all should be doing, and people like you blame the media for reporting on what the doctor's are saying and recommending we all do. That's their job!!

My mom works in a hospital as an admin assistant under the director. All day long that person is on the phone with doctors and other officials finding out what they need to do to keep this under control.

I haven't seen anywhere where the media said to horde TP for example. I've haven't seen the media say every one is going to die, but I have seen the media state how most people will recover from this. 

I have seen the media report on the yearly flu numbers, and I have seen the media report what doctors and hospitals are so worried about- this virus over running the health system based on it's much worse transmission and mortality rates and no vaccine.

Many people die of many causes every year. It's just not as  "news flashy" as a pandemic. We should keep things in proper perspective while doing what we can to minimize the impacts.

attachicon.gifTop-10 causes of US deaths.PNG

Easy rules to follow America. Stay inside and don't forget to wash your hands.

Btw: Im Setting up shop in my basement and garage to work-out. Ordering all sorts of stuff from Amazon. Gotta do those pull-ups!!!!! Inside! Inside! Be smart! 

• Like 1

Yeah I probably should’ve checked the date of the site where I pasted a copy of an article as it may have been 2 or so weeks old, but I thought some of the numbers of the swine flu seemed accurate. So those weren’t my numbers. And I agree with Wheezer’s statement above. Also I realize numbers of infections are still growing fast, but panic won’t get anyone anywhere either. Another thing....haven’t new cases of Coronavirus dropped rapidly in China? Also I’m guessing a lot of the general public forgot about H1N1 or at least it seems like many did. Oh well, I’m not to worried about it yet since I’m under 50 still and worry might be unhealthy as well. I’m working at home and we have plenty of food if it lasts a year. In fact I have a slight head cold or something since last evening, but I took a lot of vitamin C and felt well enough to be working outside most of this gorgeous day!

Ok now I did my part to lessen the panic, and I’m staying at home most of the time.

• Like 1

I don't think it's fair to compare the H1N1 virus with Corona. At the time of the H1N1 outbreak, we had four FDA-approved antiviral drugs to help ease the symptoms. As of now, we don't have much for Corona...

Corona is also more contagious and depending on the country, a high death rate (ex Italy).

• Like 1

Here are some of the latest numbers. As you can see I still use the media for information and I never said all of it is fake. In fact much of it isn’t, but many of them mix in some fake news to further their agenda. Anyway, enough of that.

Another thing if it’s that contagious you could think most people will eventually get it, because it kept spreading worldwide even with all of the measures of trying to prevent it from spreading before it was very widespread.

3-E9945-F7-AE23-4-F2-D-9-D55-709-A7626-F

BB608399-5297-424-C-8107-21-C85-CBB09-B5

Actually I'm not a believer in those crazy conspiracy theories like some say about 9-11 and many other things. It's just that much of the media is so anti Trump and hate him and would've loved to see him impeached. I used to not be very fond of Trump, but I think he's turning out to be even better than Bush in trying to get things done that he said he would. Luckily Nasty Nancy, Nutty Nadler, and Shifty Schiff and many others didn't succeed! Another thing, the dems are so concerned about saving lives, but many stills support the killiing of millions of unborn babies. And maybe if they wouldn't be so anti God and tryed to ban prayer in schools and other things there wouldn't have been so many school shootings etc. Just my 2 cents.

Edit: I apologize...I shouldn't call those people those names (I didn't invent them) and I God still loves them as much as anyone!!

• Like 1