Official Weather Complaint Thread

Geos

3 hours ago, SE Wisconsin said:

Doesn't it seem that we've been promised abundant cold and snow by multiple forecasters and that it is always just a couple of weeks away.  We just need to be patient and winter will finally come.  Well I'm still waiting and it always seems to be perpetually two weeks away.  I beginning to think that for many of us in this sub-forum cold and snow will never truly arrive and it will be another busted and disappointing winter.   

It's not coming this year.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gabel23 said:

@Tom or anyone else who can answer this question......is there a way to access the old web site that we used to have? I would like to access the discussions we had form 10 or so years ago!! I don't know if they are archived or if there is another way to view the discussions. 

I would send a message to @iFred...

• Like 1

Kidney stones removal turned into a nightmare. It was supposed to be a simple outpatient surgery (ended up in ICU for 3 days). I had complications from the anesthesia. I ended up losing reflex and sensation from belly button down to legs and feet- couldn't move them at all. When one of the doctors was checking my foot for reflex he said that he should at least be hurting to another dr, which I obviously couldn't even feel. I ended up having to be put on 2ltrs of o2 the first night then late afternoon/early evening had a tachycardia episode. Had numerous blood tests, ekg, chest x-ray, and MRI. They also did ultrasound to check for blood clots. Good news is all results came back normal. My nerves finally began firing again but had pain. My left leg turned to normal fairly quick the morning after surgery, my right leg and foot still have issues. At least I can walk now using a walker but still have some pain in my foot. My main focus is getting my strength back and being able to walk and put all my weight on right leg/foot. I'm hoping it doesn't take too long. Just have to take one step at a time. As of right now I have a stent that is scheduled to be removed on February 3rd. Hopefully no issues with that one. I hope to hear something by Tuesday in regards to my short-term disability through work. I was discharged yesterday, staying at my sister's house now while I recoup. Have to do PT everyday (use walker and walk around for 5-10 minutes at a time every hour to hour and half) to try to build up muscles)

• Sad 6

5 hours ago, jcwxguy said:

Kidney stones removal turned into a nightmare. It was supposed to be a simple outpatient surgery (ended up in ICU for 3 days). I had complications from the anesthesia. I ended up losing reflex and sensation from belly button down to legs and feet- couldn't move them at all. When one of the doctors was checking my foot for reflex he said that he should at least be hurting to another dr, which I obviously couldn't even feel. I ended up having to be put on 2ltrs of o2 the first night then late afternoon/early evening had a tachycardia episode. Had numerous blood tests, ekg, chest x-ray, and MRI. They also did ultrasound to check for blood clots. Good news is all results came back normal. My nerves finally began firing again but had pain. My left leg turned to normal fairly quick the morning after surgery, my right leg and foot still have issues. At least I can walk now using a walker but still have some pain in my foot. My main focus is getting my strength back and being able to walk and put all my weight on right leg/foot. I'm hoping it doesn't take too long. Just have to take one step at a time. As of right now I have a stent that is scheduled to be removed on February 3rd. Hopefully no issues with that one. I hope to hear something by Tuesday in regards to my short-term disability through work. I was discharged yesterday, staying at my sister's house now while I recoup. Have to do PT everyday (use walker and walk around for 5-10 minutes at a time every hour to hour and half) to try to build up muscles)

Sorry to hear of all you’re going through. Take care and get well!

• Like 3

Omg I'm sorry to hear you're going through that. Kidney stones have been something I'm paranoid about ever since my mom told me an older cousin got it. I think I'd rather die than pass kidney stones, I've gotten in the habit of drinking a ton of water all the time lol. 

• Like 1

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

19 hours ago, jcwxguy said:

Had major surgery back in the 90's. Your description brings back unfond memories. Take it easy and do your PT. Things will get back on track sooner than you think/feel while you're going through the trials. Hoping for the best outcome. Chin up!

• Like 2

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 52.8" (89% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.1 Apr: 0.0

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = xx.x" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

A MAJOR reminder that getting snow event s or not is NOTHING compared to your health. Glad your doing "better" jcwxguy. Serious good vibes and prayers sent your way.

• Like 4

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

On 1/23/2021 at 3:06 AM, jcwxguy said:

Stay strong my friend!  Glad to hear you were able to get through this extraordinary situation.  Health is #1...take care of yourself and I pray for a speedy recovery.  Be well and enjoy the snow that's coming your way.  Hopefully mother nature can keep your spirits up during your recovery.

• Like 6

On 1/23/2021 at 3:06 AM, jcwxguy said:

Man, so sorry to hear what u are going through. I had my stones removed by laser bath a couple years back and luckily it went well. Speedy recovery my friend and stay strong.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I hate putting this here, but didn't want to derail any of the other active threads. Not sure it will get much attention, but here goes.

(1) How do we explain this historic cold and snow outbreak across much of the country in light of the "settled science" of climate change, formerly called global warming? We have not had anything like this since Dec 1983 and is reminiscent of winters from the 1960s-1980s and before. In Topeka, this cold spell is being compared to Dec 1983 and a cold spell in 1899. (I think there has been decent cold outbreaks in other parts of the world this winter as well.)

Under the current claims of climate change, it seems this type of severe winter outbreak is not possible. Is this an anomaly? Perfectly normal? How is this explained?

(2) Green Energy. We are seeing reports of rolling blackouts in various places. Wind turbines are frozen shut and solar panels covered with snow causing reductions in energy outputs. Wind turbines may have suffered damage to critical seals and bearings and may not be able to come back on line right away. These systems are producing less energy at the time we need them most, during a brutal cold outbreak. Is green energy really the way to go in the future?

It'd be interesting to hear from some of the climate change and green energy advocates on these issues.

• Like 4

23-24 seasonal snow total: 17.8" (as of 3/9/24)

13 minutes ago, someweatherdude said:

I'm not a huge believer in man-made global warming.  I'm truly an agnostic on the subject.  My mind is open to all sides of the debate.  I acknowledge it could be real.  But I also acknowledge there could be other causes, or even that we're not truly warming as much as some people say.  But one thing I feel very confident about: You can't use any single weather event, or even series of events, to establish or debunk climate change theories.  A single hot summer or cold winter has almost nothing to do with long term climate trends.  In fact, one of the reasons I remain unconvinced of either side's arguments is that, in climate terms, our sample size of recent warming is just too small.  The climate has warmed and cooled many times over the eons.  Our experience since the 1980s is less than a blip. And a cold snap during a single winter is even less than less than a blip.  

I couldn't agree more with this post.  As for the Green Energy stuff.  I'm all for it but I think it needs to be supplementary.  

• Like 3

3 very good posts above. I concur with all and will add my own opinion that we are indeed in an over all warmer period which began around 1998 and is due to cosmic positioning of our solar system as it oscillates withing the "galactic ring". Which means humans didn't cause it, nor can they likely do much about it in reality. Some have seized the opportunity to make it a scary situation for gain (political, financial, whatever..) and here we are.  

• Like 3

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 52.8" (89% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.1 Apr: 0.0

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = xx.x" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

23 minutes ago, someweatherdude said:

I'm not a huge believer in man-made global warming.  I'm truly an agnostic on the subject.  My mind is open to all sides of the debate.  I acknowledge it could be real.  But I also acknowledge there could be other causes, or even that we're not truly warming as much as some people say.  But one thing I feel very confident about: You can't use any single weather event, or even series of events, to establish or debunk climate change theories.  A single hot summer or cold winter has almost nothing to do with long term climate trends.  In fact, one of the reasons I remain unconvinced of either side's arguments is that, in climate terms, our sample size of recent warming is just too small.  The climate has warmed and cooled many times over the eons.  Our experience since the 1980s is less than a blip. And a cold snap during a single winter is even less than less than a blip.  

I wouldn't disagree with any of this and glad you responded, but "agnostics" generally have a reasoned approach to the subject like yourself.   The problem is we live in a highly politicized world where conforming to the preferred narrative is of the greatest importance. Thus, an event that deviates greatly from the official narrative does take on more significance politically, even if doesn't scientifically. The hard core advocates, who frequently influence policy decisions, generally do not allow for historic cold events such as this and I am curious how they are reacting to it. To be more blunt, for some of them, these events are not possible and it would be interesting to hear their take on it.

1 hour ago, mlgamer said:

(2) Green Energy. ...These systems are producing less energy at the time we need them most, during a brutal cold outbreak.

The average windiest locations of interior North Americas that are the prime areas for wind power development also have a flaw in that the highest demand for energy in the same areas occurs during the calmest winds, extreme heat and cold.  This is a widely known but poorly addressed weakness of wind power.   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Beltrami Island said:

The average windiest locations of interior North Americas that are the prime areas for wind power development also have a flaw in that the highest demand for energy in the same areas occurs during the calmest winds, extreme heat and cold.  This is a widely known but poorly addressed weakness of wind power.   

You're nailing this spot on. Wouldn't matter if you increased peak generation ability and/or output x10 if that base output is still near zero during peak demand.

1 hour ago, someweatherdude said:

One comment I've seen from climate change advocates is that global warming would be expected to cause a weaker polar jet stream, and thus allow more intrusions of cold air further south even while the arctic becomes warmer on average.  I don't claim to know whether that's a valid explanation.  It seems plausible.  But it could be totally wrong for all I know. I've seen arguments on both sides.  It's a shame it's such a political issue.  But everything is subject to political influences -- even viruses.  I guess all we can do is try to keep an open mind, try to understand the agendas (whether from the left or the right) behind what we read, and try best we can, after taking everything into account, to be objective judges of our sources' credibility.  Too many people on both sides only hear and see what they want to.  Honestly, it's kind of a moot point to me personally.  I view the earth as my home, and as with my home, I want to treat it in a way that will keep it clean, fresh, functional and aesthetically pleasing. I'm a steward of the home God gave me.  So to me, regardless of whether man is causing warming, I'll  support reasonable efforts to reduce pollution and to generally treat Earth and its inhabitants with respect.

Unfortunately, the people who decide these things aren't as "reasonable" as you. Many of them are quite certain climate change is caused by humans and they are quite certain they know what to do about it. Their solutions tend to be highly selective and politically motivated. They also use limited data points to substantiate their claims. For example, arctic sea ice coverage or strength of Atlantic hurricanes over the past 10, 20 or 30 years. Now we have a limited data point that sure, may be meaningless, but since they have no problem using limited data points, this one certainly doesn't fit their narrative as a whole and the green energies they promote proved to be unreliable when needed. It's their narrative so maybe they could do us a favor and give us their insights on how these things fit into it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mlgamer said:

I hate putting this here, but didn't want to derail any of the other active threads. Not sure it will get much attention, but here goes.

(1) How do we explain this historic cold and snow outbreak across much of the country in light of the "settled science" of climate change, formerly called global warming? We have not had anything like this since Dec 1983 and is reminiscent of winters from the 1960s-1980s and before. In Topeka, this cold spell is being compared to Dec 1983 and a cold spell in 1899. (I think there has been decent cold outbreaks in other parts of the world this winter as well.)

Under the current claims of climate change, it seems this type of severe winter outbreak is not possible. Is this an anomaly? Perfectly normal? How is this explained?

(2) Green Energy. We are seeing reports of rolling blackouts in various places. Wind turbines are frozen shut and solar panels covered with snow causing reductions in energy outputs. Wind turbines may have suffered damage to critical seals and bearings and may not be able to come back on line right away. These systems are producing less energy at the time we need them most, during a brutal cold outbreak. Is green energy really the way to go in the future?

It'd be interesting to hear from some of the climate change and green energy advocates on these issues.

I think the remove politics and spin from climate science and explain it factually, just as you wrote it. Add basically that opinion has left the most energy rich states in the US without power when they needed them the most.

Same that environmental mismanagement (not global warming) left western states in rolling blackouts and many people with large wildfires and destroyed homes and communities this past summer.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, mlgamer said:

Your first statement is incorrect. Global warming/ climate change isn't just "it's always just going to be hot." It's been about having more extreme events in all seasons on top of the fact that the planet as a whole is much warmer. In fact it's been shown that these Polar Vortex splits can happen more easily and are affecting a relatively small section of the planet.

22 minutes ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

Your first statement is incorrect. Global warming/ climate change isn't just "it's always just going to be hot." It's been about having more extreme events in all seasons on top of the fact that the planet as a whole is much warmer. In fact it's been shown that these Polar Vortex splits can happen more easily and are affecting a relatively small section of the planet.

My first statement isn't incorrect and isn't even a statement. It is a question asking how the extreme cold snap fits into prevailing climate change theory which you do go on to provide an answer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sparky said:

Wasn’t it also very cold in the northern hemisphere on the other side of the globe earlier or just before our outbreak? I haven’t heard or checked on that recently.

I think so, but I didn't go back and check either. I do believe Japan had a freak snowstorm that dumped a huge rare amount of snow for them sometime before our cold outbreak.

• Like 2

Near as I can figure from online sources, my location has failed to reach a 12" snow depth at any time during met winter in the following years winters since 1988 :

2015-16

2011-12

2006-07

2002-03

2001-02

1999-00

1997-98

And joining the list soon....2020-2021?  Unless something changes drastically in the next 13 days. It's going to take at least 4-6+" inches of snowfall to do it and the forecast and models don't give much realistic hope.

I had a hunch it was a bad sign entering winter with drought conditions developing throughout the late summer and fall (similar to 2011-12)  Despite the warmth of December and January, my latitude allows for snow retention through some major positive temp anomalies in Dec and Jan.  There just hasn't been any moisture.

If the dryness continues through spring it's going to be a heck of a spring fire season around here. I know back in late winter 2015-16 the mn dnr was running extra fire training in anticipation of a bad fire season due to lack of snow. Luckily there was a wet 10" snowfall the third week of March that kept the ground wet enough until green up.

The 2011-12 mid March torch was followed by a cool and wet period in late March here that knocked fire danger down until things greened up in April. 

• Sad 3

17 hours ago, someweatherdude said:

I'm not saying this guy's right.  But I came across this today by chance, and thought I would pass it along.

Interesting. Whether he is right or not, he sure is taking the opposite position of the man-made climate change advocates.

Japan had a least a couple of rare monster snowstorms in Dec and Jan. Here are some excerpts from a WaPo story with the link below. I assume this is related to that record low pressure system that moved into the Bering Sea around that time as implied in the article. Interesting extreme weather events whether natural or man-made causes.

Extreme ocean-effect snow buries parts of Japan beneath seven feet, with more coming

The nation was sandwiched in between record-breaking weather systems.

Jan. 4, 2021 at 11:02 a.m. CST

Barely two weeks after a prolific ocean-effect snowstorm dropped seven feet of snow and stranded thousands of motorists, the new year in Japan kicked off with another severe snowstorm. Up to another 85 inches fell through Saturday amid strong winds and record cold temperatures.

The mind-boggling snowfall is linked to a pair of record-breaking weather systems that induced a prolonged period of westerly to northwesterly winds, the ideal wind fetch needed to yield the factory-like production and dumping of heavy snow.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2021/01/04/japan-ocean-effect-snow/

• Like 1
  • scream 1

41 minutes ago, CentralNebWeather said:

Gas $2.74 this morning. This has only taken 1 month. Sick of communism yet?  

I'd suggest moving to China if you want to know what communism is.

I'd also suggest understanding supply and demand and realizing that Biden hasn't done anything to affect supply. Been watching too much Tucker and Hannity I'd assume.

• Weenie 3