Official Weather Complaint Thread

Geos

I though there was no way in hell it will get as cold as the last 2 winters...esp what is coming in February...bundle up...you made some calls that had no merit.

I'm sure it will get cold, might even be the coldest of the season, and I was expecting it tbh. The GFS was way overdone though and will probably change once again next run. I highly doubt we see anything close to what we saw last winter or before, especially with bare ground.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I changed the title to something more fitting.  SCREW CHICAGO!  Robbing our storms year after year!

Lmao! I was thinking of making this exact thread/title earlier today. Nice work bro.

Those that are not from Nebraska, and/or are new to this, welcome! Here is our official theme song for the winter (see at :56) : 

• Like 3

For those that want to get their hopes up again, to probably have those hopes crapped on by the Chicagoans and/or their neighbors to the north.  The GFS has a potential storm or two.  One on the 22ndish, the other near Christmas day.  My prognostication, Dallas gets a white Christmas and we get nada! LOL  Man, being a pessimist is kind of fun!

:lol:  :lol:  Sorry, I got a good chuckle this morning when I saw the thread title..now back to looking into the latest NWS headlines  :ph34r:

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 52.8" (89% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.1 Apr: 0.0

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = xx.x" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

I laughed at this thread's name then just watched our local ABC TV met. who said he now believes that our area of Central Nebraska is down to a 30% chance of light snow or flurries on Sat.  He even chuckled at our lack of snow.  Amazing that I have basically had 1 snow storm in almost 3 years of any significance.  

• Like 1

Love this thread!  Hoping January can turn the tables.  I used to live in Chicago, which makes the pain more intense when I watch them getting all the snow.   BTW, the year I moved to KC, we had our lowest snowfall on record!  3.5 inches.  Even less on my side of town.  The year I moved to MPLS (1994), they only got 25 inches of snow -- less than 50% of normal.  I lived in Des Moines for a year growing up.  The only full winter I spend there (1986-1987) was a very low snowfall year.  So I may be jinxed. 

I am liking this thread also.  I can rant all I want about our misses.  We didn't used to get missed this often with storms as I think back.  Let's keep some good conversations going to keep us out of therapy.   :D

Told Jim Flowers to lower his 40 inch snowfall prediction.  Said it was way too early.  I have no clue what he's seeing but this is as craptastic as it gets.  Cold and bone dry.  Reminding me more and more of 2013/2014.  If we can't get any precip while we have the cold I'm concerned it will come when we get the inevitable warmup and we will get cold rain.

• Like 1

Told Jim Flowers to lower his 40 inch snowfall prediction.  Said it was way too early.  I have no clue what he's seeing but this is as craptastic as it gets.  Cold and bone dry.  Reminding me more and more of 2013/2014.  If we can't get any precip while we have the cold I'm concerned it will come when we get the inevitable warmup and we will get cold rain.

I think I saw your comments on his facebook page.  I don't think it is too early.  Unless their are multiple large storms, which we rarely ever get, this number will probably be closer to 30 inches.  I always say that every day that goes by that has the cold air is one day closer to spring when we have the moisture but lack the cold air.  I am sensing a great moisture maker at 35 degrees down the road.  

Not sure if this makes KC/Nebby folks feel any better or worse but I thought it was pertinent to the convo. Skilling today address the # of 9 inch or greater storms for Chicago.

Dear Tom,
I recall hearing that Chicago gets a nine-inch or greater snowfall on average once every two years. My thinking is that in the past 10 years we have had 15 or 20 such events, or three to four times the normal rate. Am I correct?
— Carl Wagner

Dear Carl,
Not quite. It’s true that on average Chicago experiences a nine-inch or greater snowfall every two years, and that works out to five such snowstorms in an average 10-year period. But in the most recent 10-year period (the snow seasons of  2006-07 through 2015-16) the city has had eight snowstorms of at least nine inches. This is based on snowfall  s measured officially at  O’Hare International Airport. At Midway Airport, there have been 10 snows of nine inches or greater in the same 10-year period. The greatest number of nine-inch-plus snowstorms in   any 10-year period is 10 in 1893-94 to 1902-03 and 1969-70 to 1978-79.

• Like 1

Not sure if this makes KC/Nebby folks feel any better or worse but I thought it was pertinent to the convo. Skilling today address the # of 9 inch or greater storms for Chicago.

Dear Tom,

I recall hearing that Chicago gets a nine-inch or greater snowfall on average once every two years. My thinking is that in the past 10 years we have had 15 or 20 such events, or three to four times the normal rate. Am I correct?

— Carl Wagner

Dear Carl,

Not quite. It’s true that on average Chicago experiences a nine-inch or greater snowfall every two years, and that works out to five such snowstorms in an average 10-year period. But in the most recent 10-year period (the snow seasons of  2006-07 through 2015-16) the city has had eight snowstorms of at least nine inches. This is based on snowfall  s measured officially at  O’Hare International Airport. At Midway Airport, there have been 10 snows of nine inches or greater in the same 10-year period. The greatest number of nine-inch-plus snowstorms in   any 10-year period is 10 in 1893-94 to 1902-03 and 1969-70 to 1978-79.

I think I read somewhere that Omaha averages a 6" snowstorm once every 2 or 3 years is it. I always hate to point this out when we are complaining about never getting a big snowstorm when northeast of here does, but that's really quite normal climatologically speaking and isn't a "fair" comparison. We're really comparing 2 relatively different winter climates for precip.

• Like 1

I think I read somewhere that Omaha averages a 6" snowstorm once every 2 or 3 years is it. I always hate to point this out when we are complaining about never getting a big snowstorm when northeast of here does, but that's really quite normal climatologically speaking and isn't a "fair" comparison. We're really comparing 2 relatively different winter climates for precip.

I hear what you are saying.  We are not even getting 6 inch snows or less that used to happen with more frequency.  There are some years I use my snowblower once or twice during winter due to even a marginal snow.  I don't compare certain places close to the ocean or great lakes due to the moisture source.  

I hear what you are saying.  We are not even getting 6 inch snows or less that used to happen with more frequency.  There are some years I use my snowblower once or twice during winter due to even a marginal snow.  I don't compare certain places close to the ocean or great lakes due to the moisture source.  

It would be interesting to see how the average snowfall has changed over the years as a new year's total gets included in with the averages. I took some time to look up Omaha's history from this site: http://weather-warehouse.com/WeatherHistory/PastWeatherData_OmahaEppleyAirfield_Omaha_NE_January.html

It was a little cumbersome, but adding things up for each year I ran some recent numbers back to 1999.

From 99-06 we averaged about 29" of snow.

Since 2007, we've averaged 28.5" of snow per year which is actually a bit above the historical number of 26" or so. In those 9 years we've had 5 years above the 26" climate average and 4 years below.

In 2006 we only had 13.2" of snow all year, but strangely 9.4" of that fell in March. Also looking at history, January and February have been our biggest months time and time again except for that heavenly month of December '09 when we had over 24". So I guess, there's still hope that there's going to be plenty of chances even if it never seems that way!

• Like 1

It would be interesting to see how the average snowfall has changed over the years as a new year's total gets included in with the averages. I took some time to look up Omaha's history from this site: http://weather-warehouse.com/WeatherHistory/PastWeatherData_OmahaEppleyAirfield_Omaha_NE_January.html

It was a little cumbersome, but adding things up for each year I ran some recent numbers back to 1999.

From 99-06 we averaged about 29" of snow.

Since 2007, we've averaged 28.5" of snow per year which is actually a bit above the historical number of 26" or so. In those 9 years we've had 5 years above the 26" climate average and 4 years below.

In 2006 we only had 13.2" of snow all year, but strangely 9.4" of that fell in March. Also looking at history, January and February have been our biggest months time and time again except for that heavenly month of December '09 when we had over 24". So I guess, there's still hope that there's going to be plenty of chances even if it never seems that way!

Well said and good research! In my experience, we have only seen two really crazy Decembers, those being 2009 and 2000. Other than that, your right we see our biggest storms later in the year. Which, ya it sucks but there still is a lot of potential. Another note, last year I finished the season above normal with snow with 36". Pretty surprising considering we really only had one major snowstorm, which dropped over half that total during a super El Nino. We will get our snow, the waiting just sucks! 

• Like 1