January 2016 in the PNW

crf450ish

52 at PDX!

{insert "taste of spring" anecdote here}

Bulbs! Mowing! Weedeating! Jetsking!

Hopefully it snows next week, I don't want to mow just yet.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

So what's your point? Still it is the second largest city in Oregon.

I don't think comparing Eugene, OR at 430ft, to cities like Baltimore/New York, which sit at sea level (and are heavily urbanized) makes sense, if you're looking for compare regional snowfalls. Actually, New York/LGA sits much closer to the ocean than Portland/PDX.

Eugene, OR is roughly analogous to a slew of suburban cities around here, though, which could be used for a more appropriate comparison. That was my point.

Some new hellebores?

Is that plastic garden edging behind them? Pull that s**t out. Come on Tim, your landscaping is better than that.

It has popped out as the walkway has shifted over time.     :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

70 hours of snowfall. Imagine how deep the snow would have been out east, if the snow would have persisted another 36 hours.

I think 2009-10 and 2014-15 answered that question already. The answer is: major headaches.

In 2010, from January 29th to February 10th, several lowland cities in MD (including Elkridge and Manchester) observed between 6-7 feet of snow. Basically had nowhere to put the snow so farmers were paid to allow snow storage on portions of their land.

In 2015, areas in coastal New England observed over 90" of snow in 20 days. Same scenario, essentially.

I don't think comparing Eugene, OR at 430ft, to cities like Baltimore/New York, which sit at sea level (and are heavily urbanized) makes sense, if you're looking for compare regional snowfalls. Actually, New York/LGA sits much closer to the ocean than Portland/PDX.

Eugene, OR is roughly analogous to a slew of suburban cities around here, though, which could be used for a more appropriate comparison. That was my point.

In a similar vein.

I don't think comparing Seattle, Vancouver BC, and Portland to the east coast makes sense. Totally different topography with close proximity to mountains.

Apples and Oranges.

In a similar vein.

I don't think comparing Seattle, Vancouver BC, and Portland to the east coast makes sense. Totally different topography with close proximity to mountains.

Apples and Oranges.

At that point, though, you're tossing away the factors that define climate. All I'm doing is accounting for elevation and population/urbanization. These are controllable variables.

For example, you can try to imagine how your climate would behave without the Cascades present, but it's pure imagination.

Yeah I like the 18z. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Based on the 18z, I might be able to scrape off enough snow off my car to make a single snowball.  I'll probably pee on it though because i love yellow snowcones.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2016012518/gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_nwus_26.png

• Like 1

At that point, though, you're tossing away the factors that define climate. All I'm doing is accounting for elevation and population/urbanization. These are controllable variables.

For example, you can try to imagine how your climate would behave without the Cascades present, but it's pure imagination.

Vancouver, BC is literally right at the Pacific ocean. You can't get any more beside the ocean unless you put buildings in the ocean. :)

These posts are becoming frequent in our WA gardening group on facebook from people all over the western lowlands.    Signs of spring all around now with the warmer weather.

http://s10.postimg.org/weond30u1/Untitled.jpg

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Can somebody make him stop?

This isn't a gardening forum and it serves no purpose other than trolling.

There are probably lots of non-native plants you can buy at Costco that bloom in late January every year if it isn't snowing. We live in a mild winter climate for our latitude. Is this news?

• Like 1

55 at SEA and PDX today... very nice day.     These types of days in the winter make the rainy periods easier to get through.

In the fall we talk about signs of fall and changing leaves... and in the spring we talk about flowering stuff.     Part of being fascinated with weather also includes all the other changes in nature... at least for me.     

18Z meteograms shows 2" of snow at hour 240. That would pretty much be more snow than all of November and December combined for me! After I get 2" of snow, Spring can spring.

Sometimes its more reliable for producing snow.   Possibly because of more dynamics?   

It's late January. I think I'm going to try to grow a mango plant this summer, then post of bunch of pictures of it dying in late July because our summer climate is too cool overall to sustain a tropical plant. Then I will claim that this is a sign of fall.

It's late January. I think I'm going to try to grow a mango plant this summer, then post of bunch of pictures of it dying in late July because our summer climate is too cool overall to sustain a tropical plant. Then I will claim that this is a sign of fall.

Monster! What did that tropical plant do to you!?

• Like 1

We have many hellebores blooming and they are native.

Not fair to talk about all the signs of fall including awesome displays from non-native trees but then whine about signs of spring. I enjoy all of it.

There is lots of talk on here in the fall about how the weather will effect the fall colors.    And when its cool there are always posts about how it will really bring out the fall color... and then I post lots of pictures of that as well.   

There are a couple of dozen palm trees in Eugene.  Most of them look pretty sickly though.  A couple of decent ones exist however.

I have 4 little seedlings that are going to like this spring weather quite a bit...

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Nice trends with the models today, hopefully the temps can cool a little more and the moisture can become a little more pronounced with this upcoming cool/cold snap!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Nice trends with the models today, hopefully the temps can cool a little more and the moisture can become a little more pronounced with this upcoming cool/cold snap!

ECMWF gives you some c-zone snow this weekend.