August 2022 Observation & Discussion

Dewpoint back home reached 81.3°F today with a high of 96°F. 🤮 

Looks like DCA just gusted to 58mph. That storm just collapsed and put out a gust front.

• Like 2

104* today. Then a week of 100’s. 
Tues/Wed has a 20% chance of rain. 

Frankly I think they’re just bored copying and pasting yesterdays forecast.  😴

• Like 2

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

6 hours ago, Phil said:

Dewpoint back home reached 81.3°F today with a high of 96°F. 🤮 

Looks like DCA just gusted to 58mph. That storm just collapsed and put out a gust front.

What started off as a amazingly borning severe thunderstorm season has literally turned into one of the best summer thunderstorm patterns in a long while in this resgion

• Like 3

The Monsoon seasons has been incredible thus far for the state of AZ.  95% of the valley has received over 1" of rain which is AN through this period of the season.  There is a LOT more to come.  The pattern is going to fire back up this weekend and then again the following weekend.  I'm excited to capture some pictures while I'm out here and some videos.  One thing I noticed right away while flying over the mountains was how lush and green they looked from up top.  That was not the case when I left here back in the Spring. 

Very early yesterday morning morning there was a massive cluster of strong storms that erupted over the valley around 3:00am local time that swept the valley from East to West causing flooding and wind damage.  The high temp was a very cool 93F (106F is Normal).  Heading up into the low 100's today and its quite humid...it's like I never left the soupy air from back home.

Of note, current DP at Scottsdale is 70F...make it a Fantastic Friday!

image.png

Current-Valley-Dew-Point.jpg

• Like 4

It's going to be a hot sticky weekend around here with highs in the 90s and heat index values near 110.  I am head into the Ozarks on a float trip this weekend.  I'll be on the Current River which is part of the Ozark National Scenic Riverways.  Next week brings a cold front with rain and cooler temperatures, highs look to me in the low to mid 80s.  Looking forward to the drier and more refreshing air.

image.thumb.png.25d54032762e420cee45841f0ab478dd.png

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Clinton said:

It's going to be a hot sticky weekend around here with highs in the 90s and heat index values near 110.  I am head into the Ozarks on a float trip this weekend.  I'll be on the Current River which is part of the Ozark National Scenic Riverways.  Next week brings a cold front with rain and cooler temperatures, highs look to me in the low to mid 80s.  Looking forward to the drier and more refreshing air.

image.thumb.png.25d54032762e420cee45841f0ab478dd.png

Awesome!  Have fun on the water and stay cool my friend!

• Like 1

The rain has shut off around here the last week. The humidity trudges on, unfortunately. We will hope for some rainfall from Saturday night through Monday night, though chances aren’t high. If we don’t get anything, it looks dry for another week after. It is not uncommon for us to go an entire month of August and have little to no rain. Dryland crops probably need another couple of rains to have a good yield. Irrigated crops look amazing and will be fine. Not much dryland farming in this immediate area. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CentralNebWeather said:

The rain has shut off around here the last week. The humidity trudges on, unfortunately. We will hope for some rainfall from Saturday night through Monday night, though chances aren’t high. If we don’t get anything, it looks dry for another week after. It is not uncommon for us to go an entire month of August and have little to no rain. Dryland crops probably need another couple of rains to have a good yield. Irrigated crops look amazing and will be fine. Not much dryland farming in this immediate area. 

You are lucky you received the moisture that you did last month. Things around here are getting very dry and "crispy." The return of the high heat today and tomorrow is not going to help things at all here locally.

I really hope we can squeeze out some decent moisture over the weekend - if not we will be in much deeper trouble. So far a whole 0.22" of rain has fallen in my backyard over the last 3+ weeks - that's pretty dry for this time of the year around here (thankfully the long lasting heatwave predicted by some of the models a few weeks ago did not fully materialize). 

• Like 4

103 at 1:30.  
We’ll see 105.  Feels like it.  
This just goes on and on.  
Next week some changes. One day down to 96-97.  30% chance of rain.  
C’mon!

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

Yeah.    105 at 5 pm. 
What’s new?   
Doing some deep soaking watering to keep shrubs alive.  With no rain they’re in peril.  Water is cheaper than replacing 

Dragging a hose is awful  Had a back injection today so I’m pushing things.  

Forecast is for 100 tomorrow.  I’ll rest.

I really hate this weather  😐

Well, …I shouldn’t be surprised. 
Hot And Dry. 

5FE4BF60-437A-427F-ADCD-45FBB9484651.gif

0F55D320-93D1-465E-9C7B-6F22E918BE97.png

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • Storm 1

The northeastern KY curse is working again, we seem to be avoiding any thunder today, and its only lightly rained to this point. 

I'm sure somebody got some heavy stuff though. 

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

I received an email from a friend today in southern Spain and they are roasting.  
90’s-100’s. NO air conditioning 

Life is hard in parts of Europe right now. Inflation and heat is hammering folks that usually have a pretty high quality of life. The heat is on there. 
The Ukrainian war is affecting them as well. 

PS-  I’ve been doing deep soaking on all our large plants.  3’ soak. 
The water bill will be horrendous. Cheaper than replacing mature plants. 
My Magnolia tree has rewarded me with some flower buds!! 

• Like 2

Its been a warmer than average summer here in KC so far and the next two weeks look quite hot with not much moisture. We're well below average on rainfall since June 1st and the landscape is really stressed. Actually, parts of southern KC are in a D1 drought, much drier on the south side of KC. The northside has caught a few more thunderstorm rounds the last few months...

Its summer in KC

• Like 3

Good morning from Milwaukee. At this time it is clear here and the reported temperature is 74 with a DP of 72. I have not been outside yet but it is clear. As for Grand Rapids the official H/L yesterday was 85/70 there was no rain fall and the sun was out 44% of the time. For today the record H/L is 102 in 1918 and the record low of 46 was in 1948 and 1994. Here in Milwaukee the H/L yesterday was 81/64 the record high here was 100 also set in 1918 and the record low was 50 set in 1971. Today looks to be very warm and humid on both sides of the lake. We are going to the Wisconsin State Fair later today so it will be a hot day there. Tomorrow were are going to a Brewers baseball game. There looks like there could be some rain for the game but there is a retractable roof there so that rain will not be a problem.

• Like 3

Wet weekend in store for the Ohio Valley! Had a t'storm this morning at 4-5am. No really close lightning but close enough the thunder woke me right up out of sleep.

75 after a low of 71. The sun has not come out for more than 24 hours, and yesterday was pleasantly mild with a high not even 80.

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

It's unclear how much rain we will get this weekend.  Models are mostly focusing the rain from southern MN and northern IA through southern WI.  Most models show little, if any, rain over the southern half of Iowa where it is badly needed.

• Sick 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Cedar Rapids just hit an 80º dewpoint, I think for the first time this year.  Combined with a 92º temp the heat index is 111º.

• Like 3
  • Popcorn 1
  • scream 1
  • Sick 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

And the heat goes on. Currently on a 7 day streak of 90+ degree highs with a couple 100 degree days mixed in, which should continue tomorrow. Averaging 96.9 degrees for the high temp so far this month the first 6 days.

We get a brief 2 day cool down to the 80s, before mid to upper 90s come back. July had a streak of 7 in a row and 10 out of 11 days over 90 at one point as well. I'm very pessimistic on any rain chances as well the next 7 days.

This Afternoon
Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 101. Heat index values as high as 110. South southeast wind around 13 mph.
Tonight
A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 4am. Partly cloudy, with a low around 77. South wind 6 to 11 mph, with gusts as high as 18 mph. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
Sunday
A 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 1pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 92. Southeast wind 6 to 8 mph becoming northwest in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 16 mph. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
Sunday Night
A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 67. North northwest wind 9 to 11 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
Monday
A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms before 1pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 84. North wind around 9 mph.
Monday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 63.
Tuesday
Sunny, with a high near 88.
Tuesday Night
Clear, with a low around 66.
Wednesday
Sunny, with a high near 94.
Wednesday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 67.
Thursday
Sunny, with a high near 96.
Thursday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 69.
Friday
Sunny and hot, with a high near 97.
Friday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 72.
Saturday
Sunny and hot, with a high near 98.
  • Like 1
  • Sick 1

There are like 21/2” cracks in the rough of the golf course.  This is behind my house.  The creek is entirely dry.  The deer have abandoned it.  
most birds are at the lake 1/4 mile away.  I never see any water birds. 
Herons, occasion pelican, even hawks are all hunting at the lake.  
Can you blame them? 
Cool spell  100* at 5 pm

84A7886E-10FB-458E-999D-3E9C35E0A354.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 3