August 2022 Observation & Discussion

33 minutes ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

Yesterday I noticed that along with the rock hard ground, the dry ground is pulling away from the foundation of our house and retaining wall of our flower bed. Quite the gaps showing up where the ground meets the house/wall.

Texans learned a long time ago to water foundations if you water nothing else.   Past time to water.  

Regularly. Foundations crack quickly. 

• Like 2

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

3 hours ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

Didn’t know that, thanks!

It puts a concrete foundation under stress.  Too much and it’ll crack.  
Soaker hoses work well if you don’t have a sprinkle system.   
Water deep.  Then keep moisture consistent. 

It’s a good idea every summer if you don’t get enough rain. Texans learned to do this eons ago.   Hang in there.  Good luck. 

• Like 3

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

Topped out at 99.5 my place. My sons house 101 first  100 his house in 4 summers.   Now just .64 rain past 30 days.  Drove to near hwy 35 in Southern  Iowa today. Was actually  worst west. Flash drought there. Corn looks horrible  some of worse ive seen my 15 yrs in Iowa. Ears not filling  out a huge issue.  Hearing  rumors from some of selling some cattle  not enough  hay to go to next spring.   The early july rain was a blessing  here at home for those that planted pre may 15. Again its looks like the trend  for rains continue north or south of southeast  Iowa!

Screenshot_20220806-212425_Messages.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

100* today.  
Then 4 days 96-99 with 3 of those days having a 20-30 % chance of rain!

That means cloud cover!  Woo-Hoo. 
Readying my rain dance!!

D**n this drought!! 

• Like 3

Yesterday  at 1:45pm

99.5 degrees

77.9 dewpoint 

115.9 real feel

And the worst?

Only .23 rain in 23 days

And .65 in 32 days

While areas north  and south of me flood. 

That being said. Because  I planted on absolutely  earliest  date and got a 2 inches of rain first couple days of July i am astounded  at my small crop here! Gotta  love Iowa's dirt!

20220807_080155.jpg

20220807_080214.jpg

20220807_081027.jpg

20220807_081540.jpg

• Like 6

The real heavy rain just missed me to the north and east.  Widespread 2-5" has fallen there.  In my yard I received an ok 0.54".

• Like 2

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Current dew is at 78F w a temp of 86F. Realfeel is at 97F. How beautiful. Florida type weather currently in S MI. Hopefully some t'stms later today. Free water is still needed.

• Like 2

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

Drought has hit its next level. I’ve been invaded by fire ants seeking water. In the yard and in my kitchen! 😠  

This is one of the curses of summer here. If you don’t poison your property, which pisses me off, you’ll be invaded. I hit it around my foundation and scan frequently for signs.  
The golf course has hit a serious dry point, so they’re going farther afield. 

97* headed for 100.  What a summer.  

• Sad 2
  • scream 1
  • Sick 1

A weak thundershower came through here. In terms of thunder one of my weakest ones. But did result in a downpour for 5 minutes. 

Almost at 40 thunder days of 2022!

• Storm 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

We’re forecast on Tuesday for 96 and 40% chance of rain.  
Low of 77!

They really shouldn’t tease us like this. 🙁

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Andie said:

We’re forecast on Tuesday for 96 and 40% chance of rain.  
Low of 77!

They really shouldn’t tease us like this. 🙁

Don't get disappointed. Lol. I really think this is the ending of this ridge. I'm going to be the coolest place in Oklahoma again for August if long-range is to be believed.

Hope I did well on my timing a couple of weeks ago. 

Old Mason Dixon line and Ozarks to E/NE through Appalachia look to cool and "backdoor" cool air in going thru probably 6 wks. Not going to be "summer-ending", but refreshing, for sure.

• Like 3

This May article just might have nailed it. 
It is just as true now as then. 

Rare triple dip Niña likely ahead. May as well get prepared.  Pacific isn’t showing any signs of weakening   

https://www.weather.com/news/climate/news/2022-05-12-la-nina-triple-dip-possible-impacts

Hello from the out skirts of the Great Salt Lake!  We arrived just before 6:00pm local time and took us just about 11 hours from the PHX area.  Gosh, it was quite the journey up here and I forgot how tiring it can get driving non stop while only stopping for gas.  I drove up hwy 89 in between the mountain ranges soaking up the scenic views and driving through the small mountain towns along the valleys.  It was a reminder how beautiful this country is out west and the fact that there are still people who live out in these small farm town communities.  Plenty of farmers growing hay, cattle and such that live off the land.  I'd love to spend some time here in the Winter when the mountains are snow capped. 

The Wasatch mountains to my east are impressive as they tower thousands of feet up in the air.  We plan on driving up into Park City, UT for a day or two and enjoy the mountain lifestyle.  Today, our plan is to spend a relaxing day at Crystal Hot Springs and soak in the mineral spa. https://www.crystalhotsprings.net/home/

It contains the highest mineral content in any hot springs in the world!  In a 24 hour period, 940,000 lbs of minerals is carried to the surface with 2.3 million gallons of hot water that comes up from 8,000 ft below.  Fascinating stuff right there.  

On another note, it appears N IL got socked by heavy rains to the SW of MBY.  This morning may bring another round of heavy rains a bit farther north.  Looks like a splendid week of weather once the rains pass to the south.  It's going to be pretty hot out here with highs in the low 90's and clear skies through Wed before the Monsoon fires up Thu through the weekend.  Have a great Monday!

• Like 4

13 hours ago, OKwx2k4 said:

Don't get disappointed. Lol. I really think this is the ending of this ridge. I'm going to be the coolest place in Oklahoma again for August if long-range is to be believed.

Hope I did well on my timing a couple of weeks ago. 

Old Mason Dixon line and Ozarks to E/NE through Appalachia look to cool and "backdoor" cool air in going thru probably 6 wks. Not going to be "summer-ending", but refreshing, for sure.

Ya, I'm really liking where the pattern is heading for the month of August.  Those east of say, IA/MO region are going to have a wonderful week of weather.  The following week is when some massive changes are brewing due to a significant spike in the +PNA signal.  This could very well be a clue in the weeks and months ahead on how the models will behave in forecasting the extended range. 

In any case, the EPS just did something wild and traps a deep trough underneath a Canadian 500mb ridge.  So much blocking showing up in and around our Continent.  This could be the welcomed signal that @Andie  @Iceresistanceand folks in the Plains have Long awaited.  My gut feeling and personal opinion is this mid/late month cooling trend for the central US has a legit chance of verifying.

0z EPS 500mb Week 2 animation...

image.gif

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Tom said:

On another note, it appears N IL got socked by heavy rains to the SW of MBY.  This morning may bring another round of heavy rains a bit farther north.

The Freeport area got 4-8" of rain yesterday morning.  This morning they got another 3-5".

Sunday afternoon/night was a dud for much of Iowa.  I only received 0.09" early this morning, boosting my 2-day total to 0.63".

Some locations across southern Iowa have not even received 0.63" over the last thirty days.

• Like 3

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

19 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

The Freeport area got 4-8" of rain yesterday morning.  This morning they got another 3-5".

Sunday afternoon/night was a dud for much of Iowa.  I only received 0.09" early this morning, boosting my 2-day total to 0.63".

Some locations across southern Iowa have not even received 0.63" over the last thirty days.

I got .09 this am after another  night in the 80s.  Horrible  situation  here developing.  A couple  spots west of me have not had 1 drop in 33 days!

• Sad 1
  • Sick 1

100* today but next 3-4 days in the 96-98 range. 
We have a 30% chance of rain Tues/Wed.   
We’ll take it! 

• Like 1

A small gift from Mother Nature last night for the Omaha metro as some of us were treated to some surprise showers and thunderstorms. Picked up 0.25" in my backyard overnight... this doubles my rainfall total over the past 4 weeks so I will definitely take it.

The predicted high temperature for today is 81. It is 65 degrees currently and I will say that it feels amazing and refreshing outside, wish it would stick around for more than one day. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bryan1117 said:

Hawkeye, this map looks eerily similar to this past Winter’s total snowfall accumulation map - crazy how we have been stuck in this pattern for almost a full year now.

Thats true. Although  I did muster 32 inches of snow somehow.  The general  theme since last mid Aug (1 full yr!) is dry dry dry. Ony really  had 3 weeks when above avg precip  occured!

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Bryan1117 said:

A small gift from Mother Nature last night for the Omaha metro as some of us were treated to some surprise showers and thunderstorms. Picked up 0.25" in my backyard overnight... this doubles my rainfall total over the past 4 weeks so I will definitely take it.

The predicted high temperature for today is 81. It is 65 degrees currently and I will say that it feels amazing and refreshing outside, wish it would stick around for more than one day. 

I ended up with .34”. Was surprised to suddenly hear thunder when I had stopped looking at the radar a couple hours earlier.

I’m mowing today for the first time in 3 weeks and still probably won’t fill up much of the garbage can.

• Like 2