August 2022 Observation & Discussion

1 hour ago, Andie said:

High of 88 today.  Then 97, 92, then back into the high 80’s and some rain.  

Typical season shift.   We could still see 100’s though. That’s the Southern Plains! 

6C8FBB7E-B1EE-4F01-A7DF-EE16CD501E56.jpeg

Your looking pretty the next 2-3 weeks....I think it's safe to say, no extended Heat for you on the horizon...maybe its time to wave good bye to the Heat?  

Tom Hanks Hello GIF

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

Definitely!!  

80* at noon!….and rain moving SE👍

180D67A7-5EA3-4906-B5E1-D33785D61253.jpeg

• Storm 1
  • Rain 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Really getting dry.  .06" in the last 3 weeks.  Dryland crops will be interesting to see what they can produce, fearful that yields will probably be way down.  The vast majority of the area is irrigated and those crops look amazing.  Farmers would have loved some rain to turn off irrigation systems.  My brother in law says that he should be done irrigating Aug. 31.  He says if we could just get a 1" rain, that might be enough to be finished for the season.  Not looking too promising.  I have probably used my underground sprinklers more this year than any year since 2012.  Not looking forward to the next bill.  

Rain evaporated.  

The forecast is beginning to look like Haiku. 

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

Well, I won’t be celebrating an ice age. According to that map! 

• Like 2

On 8/16/2022 at 8:13 AM, Bryan1117 said:

We did get some showers and storms that ended up back building into the metro last night. It looks like I will finish up with 0.75” of rain from this system, so really not too bad at all.

It wasn’t the 1 - 2” that was initially predicted by the models, but thankful that we at least got a halfway decent soaking over a 24-hour period. Maybe this fall/ winter things will line up perfectly for us with a decent system in the Omaha metro.

Yeah it was weird how it back built after the main show had stayed south and was moving southeast the entire night. Ended up getting clipped with basically the very northwest edge of the new area of rain, but thanks to efficient rainfall rates got a pretty decent amount. I received .94” IMBY!

• Like 1

On 8/15/2022 at 10:21 PM, james1976 said:

Perfect evening up in the MN home. Clear, calm and 64. Great night for a bonfire. 

Im near Ely, Minn and it has been beautiful  weather!   60s and 70s mostly. Every time  it warms to 70s  convection  occurs and has rained some every single day!  Nice change from Southeast  Iowa!

• Like 3

Yeah. Those low lying swampy areas will flood. Many homes are back in those areas.  Not good. 

It has 8.3 very near me.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

I’m still waiting for the next “ice age/global cooling” to start that was predicted on here… 😁

1FE3563A-062B-4FA4-9A03-940CCF25E97D.jpeg

8BAD2D7A-5CE7-4941-8B49-57C32C0C351C.jpeg

It's been a rather interesting Year thus far...let's see how the year settles up....Get your Popcorn ready!

YearTDeptUS.png

• Like 1

As the saying goes, its "Show Time"...I got a bit of a taste of the Monsoon here in the valley yesterday.  While I was at the pool last evening looking out to my east as the storms were heading my way, the outflows blew so fast through the complex that the chairs blew into the pool.  Pretty wild.  I captured some vids on the development of the line that came through. The severe stuff was just to my NW and I only got a few tenths of an inch.  The beauty of the clouds that bubble up each and every single day up in the mountains since I've been here is why I love being here during the Monsoon season.  

The Tropics of the Valley of the Sun...

Screen Shot 2022-08-19 at 4.20.55 AM.png

54944A1E-9C15-4A4A-B96D-8ED91603DA3E.jpeg

50DAB0DE-2E55-4B86-BAFF-DFDE2717D4DE.jpeg

• Like 3

There appears to be a Bald Eagle that has settled into the area….

This was the view from a couple days ago when it went on my morning cardio/hike…the Bald Eagle 🦅 in the video usually sits on top of one of the palm trees on the right side of the picture below…

00C030D0-DD0E-4670-A48A-BFF23EF019C1.jpeg

79681046-40B2-4B7B-93FF-7563B73C019E.jpeg

• Like 8

Continuation of very the pleasant late summer weather. Yesterdays official H/L at Grand Rapids was 84/59. There was no rain fall and the sun was out 85% of the time. The overnight low here in MBY was 59 at the current time with clear skies it is 61 here. For today the record high of 98 was set in 1955 and the record low of 43 was in 1977. Today looks to continue the pleasant weather pattern but there are increasing chances of some rain (maybe heavy?) over the weekend.

• Like 3

@Tom

My husband is an Arizona boy.  
He came to Texas at 17 but still thinks of himself as an Arizonan. Problem is he thinks and acts like a Texan!😀 Poor guy.  I love that eagle pic. Beautiful hike.  

Texas is returning to norms and a slow seasonal change. Heat isn’t over but we all hope the 100+ is over generally.  
80’s and low 90’s for 10 days.  🙌
Rain in the next 4 days! 👍

• Like 4

Nice and cool this morning as temp dropped to 63, made the coffee taste even better.  SPC upgraded eastern Iowa to a slight risk for severe storms later today.  The setup is there for some large hail with the cold air aloft for Iowa and I believe mby as well.  

day1otlk_1200.gif

• Like 3
  • Storm 1

12 minutes ago, Clinton said:

Nice and cool this morning as temp dropped to 63, made the coffee taste even better.  SPC upgraded eastern Iowa to a slight risk for severe storms later today.  The setup is there for some large hail with the cold air aloft for Iowa and I believe mby as well.  

day1otlk_1200.gif

My brother and his wife are heading to the Lake of the Ozarks with their friends for about a week starting on Monday.  I've been watching the wx pattern and it looks like the HP may suppress the storm chance south.  Looks like a nice week of weather for them down there. 

• Like 1

Just now, Tom said:

My brother and his wife are heading to the Lake of the Ozarks with their friends for about a week starting on Monday.  I've been watching the wx pattern and it looks like the HP may suppress the storm chance south.  Looks like a nice week of weather for them down there. 

Yes earlier in the week it looked like we would have scattered thunderstorms all weekend and now after tomorrow morning the weekend looks perfect!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tom said:

It's been a rather interesting Year thus far...let's see how the year settles up....Get your Popcorn ready!

YearTDeptUS.png

That green in my corner of KY doesn't surprise me. I think March and May were the only two real warm months so far this year. April was cold, and it looked like June was only marginally above in spots.

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Most of the 10-day on wunderground has had highs at or under average. Today looks to be the warmest.

I can see this summer ending around climo in parts of the Ohio Valley. 

• Like 2

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

3/26, 

The 5 days beginning Sunday really cool down and should deliver rain. So far, the rain has remained south.  Our high today was 92*   Tomorrow 95*  

35248D95-6A13-46AD-9AFA-D1A4079B3ACE.jpeg

• Like 4

The bug life is so much different out here. It sounds like night time in the late afternoon/evening.

Crickets chirp throughout most of a day here! The only noises you'd hear in Oregon middle of the day are cars driving by, or someone's AC humming. 

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

3/26, 

1 hour ago, Andie said:

The 5 days beginning Sunday really cool down and should deliver rain. So far, the rain has remained south.  Our high today was 92*   Tomorrow 95*  

35248D95-6A13-46AD-9AFA-D1A4079B3ACE.jpeg

Even if I could get past those hotter days you came out of, those lows are still running warm for my liking!

Let's all have a wet end to summer. ⛈️

• lol 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

3/26, 

It’s okay. We’ll be dancing in it!   High 70’s are paradise here.  😇

• Like 2
  • Storm 1

Up in the MN home. Feeling a bit under the weather and tested positive for Covid so I'll be lying low for a few days. I have plenty to do here anyway.

Scored 1.01" up here today. Had a nice downpour and now the sun is out. Pretty nice evening right now. Things are starting to green up a bit from the recent rains.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, james1976 said:

Up in the MN home. Feeling a bit under the weather and tested positive for Covid so I'll be lying low for a few days. I have plenty to do here anyway.

Scored 1.01" up here today. Had a nice downpour and now the sun is out. Pretty nice evening right now. Things are starting to green up a bit from the recent rains.

Just had a close friend catch it and it nearly put her in the hospital.

Here in Douglas county we currently have 150 people hospitalized with COVID, including 13 kids. Had 5 new deaths yesterday too. It’s definitely still going on.☹️

• Like 1
  • lol 1
  • Sad 2

I’m about 24 hrs away from the rain.  
High today of 95 before dropping at last.  
High Sunday 89 with a 60% chance of rain.  Low of 76.  
Monday/Tuesday 79 with Lows of 73.  
80 and 90% chance rain respectively. 

We’re all hoping this is the soaker we’ve been praying for.🤞.
If it’s slow enough it will sink in rather than run off. 
SO looking forward to the next 4 days and a very real beneficial change.  

• Like 4

The official H/L yesterday at Grand Rapids was 83/58 the mean for the day had a departure of 0. A trace of rain fall was reported at GRR (here at my house there was no rain fall) and the sun was out 61% of the time. The overnight low here in MBY this morning has been 67. The official low so far at GRR is a cooler 63. I am a little closer to Lake Michigan where the overnight low at Muskegon has been 69 and Holland were the low so far has been 67 at the current time it is 67 here at my house. For today the average H/L is 81/61 the record high of 97 was set in 1947 and the record low of 43 was set in 1992. Today the sunrise is at 6:54 and the sun set time is 8:36.

The Monsoon delivered the “goods” locally with just over 1” of rain that soaked into the ground.  A slowly developing cell overhead produced a garden variety soaker.

Before then, however, I enjoyed the beautiful weather at the pool while watching the storm clouds bubble up to my North.

F210B377-0741-4D1E-A9F2-7C6305378E61.jpeg

Here are a couple vids….

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Andie said:

I’m about 24 hrs away from the rain.  
High today of 95 before dropping at last.  
High Sunday 89 with a 60% chance of rain.  Low of 76.  
Monday/Tuesday 79 with Lows of 73.  
80 and 90% chance rain respectively. 

We’re all hoping this is the soaker we’ve been praying for.🤞.
If it’s slow enough it will sink in rather than run off. 
SO looking forward to the next 4 days and a very real beneficial change.  

Models have calmed down on rainfall totals for your area which is good .  Still looks like widespread 3-5 inch amounts this week.  Also the EPS indicates we should all see some rainfall over the next 10 days.

qpf_acc-mean-imp.conus.png

1 hour ago, Clinton said:

Models have calmed down on rainfall totals for your area which is good .  Still looks like widespread 3-5 inch amounts this week.  Also the EPS indicates we should all see some rainfall over the next 10 days.

qpf_acc-mean-imp.conus.png

Awesome Clinton!
Looks like 3-3.5 in my area. Every drop will be welcomed.  I intend to catch a good deal of it for plants inside but my landscape will be drinking it in like the gods!

Hope everyone gets a good soaking.  

• Like 1

Hopefully today my area scores w/ some severe weather this weekend. Muggy air returns as well, along w higher temps. Highs are expected to be in the mid to upper 80s. I think its safe to say that the 90s are finish, but maybe not. We still have September and heck, even maybe in October for a day or 2. It has happened in the past. Next week looks super pleasant w/ low humidity and tons of sun, but heats right back up again by the following weekend (upper 80s to possibly near 90).

Also, S MI running BN rainfall for the year. Last year this time was much much wetter.

• Like 2

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

We had an amazing  1st trip to the Ely Minn area. Forgot my rain gage, but  it rained some 7 straight  days!  Thanks  to the huge ULL.  Heading  back to drought stricken  southeast  Iowa. While  cooler and one day of light rain of about  half inch, the miserable  year of near misses continues. Those kind of years  hurt the most.  Upon arriving  I will look over situation  and models,  but strongly  expect  to began to lay men off. Which  pains me greatly  as all have families and homes. But its along way to the 1st snow, Maybe mid Jan?  Despite  having  a large business  of 200 accounts  and  one of 90 acres we cannot  even keep 3 men busy. Make 3 of past 11  years a total  loss and several  other  bad ones. I seriously  despise se Iowa weather! Below is yesterday's  rain and the past 90 days.

Screenshot_20220820-100222_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220820-100258_Gallery.jpg

• Sad 7