August 2022 Observation & Discussion

1 hour ago, OttumwaSnomow said:

We had an amazing  1st trip to the Ely Minn area. Forgot my rain gage, but  it rained some 7 straight  days!  Thanks  to the huge ULL.  Heading  back to drought stricken  southeast  Iowa. While  cooler and one day of light rain of about  half inch, the miserable  year of near misses continues. Those kind of years  hurt the most.  Upon arriving  I will look over situation  and models,  but strongly  expect  to began to lay men off. Which  pains me greatly  as all have families and homes. But its along way to the 1st snow, Maybe mid Jan?  Despite  having  a large business  of 200 accounts  and  one of 90 acres we cannot  even keep 3 men busy. Make 3 of past 11  years a total  loss and several  other  bad ones. I seriously  despise se Iowa weather! Below is yesterday's  rain and the past 90 days.

Screenshot_20220820-100222_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220820-100258_Gallery.jpg

Sorry to hear. That's awful. Things have to turn around.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

Just had a close friend catch it and it nearly put her in the hospital.

Here in Douglas county we currently have 150 people hospitalized with COVID, including 13 kids. Had 5 new deaths yesterday too. It’s definitely still going on.☹️

Yeah its a bad situation we will have to learn to live with. I feel better this morning. Fever broke during the night.

• Like 3

For a week models consistently showed 0.50-1.00" across eastern Iowa.  It wasn't as widespread as I had hoped and I ended up in one of the dry spots.  I only received 0.39".

• Like 2
  • Popcorn 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

An unusually wet weather pattern for late August will set up over North Texas by late in the weekend. Numerous showers and thunderstorms are likely beginning Sunday and continuing through Tuesday. Heavy rain is likely and flooding could become an issue, as 3 to 4 inches of rain is likely across much of North Texas. Some locales could receive even more than that. A Flood Watch will begin for much of North Texas Sunday morning. Be aware of the possibility of flooding and stay up to date with the latest forecast.
NBC/DFW

woohoo🙌

• Like 2
  • Excited 1
  • Storm 1
  • Rain 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Drought continues to worsen. Took a drive today. Yards without sprinkler systems look rough. Dry land corn and soybeans may have an early harvest. I’d bet yields are way down. Irrigated crops look amazing. Good news is very few bugs or mosquitoes with no standing water this summer. We are still at 0.06” in the last 24 days and counting. If we get nothing the rest of August, it may be the driest in our history. We are going to need a massive pattern change this fall and winter to escape the pattern. This has basically been going on since last October. Only a well above normal July has kept us going. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

A lot of rain expected over a broad area.  

2DD204C6-BFCE-4A04-A4F2-AFC54E799A26.png

• Like 3
  • Excited 1
  • Storm 1
  • Rain 1
  • scream 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

Looks like my area had two of the heaver rain showers yesterday. The first one around 4PM had very heavy rain, wind and some thunder. The 2nd one around 9PM had heavy rain (not as heavy as the 1st one) and some thunder as well. A total of 1.36" of rain fell here in MBY. The official H/L at Grand Rapids yesterday was 79/63 with a official rain fall amount of just 0.35" there was just 5% of reported sunshine the top wind speed was a reported 41 MPH. The overnight low here in MBY was 62 with a low of 63 at GRR. At the current time there is some fog here with a temp of 64. For today the record high of 97 was set in 1916 and again in 1955. The record low of 44 was set in 1956.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tom said:

The Monsoon produced some wild wx near Moab, UT yesterday....rivers flowing through the town center...

https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-news/moab-streets-power-lines-trees-damaged-after-flooding

On the 2nd vid, those people needed help in that vehicle. Its too bad I was not rolling on by there at that time to help those people. I wonder what happened to them. Pretty wild scene.

• Like 2

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Nice wet weekend here in S MI. No severe weather anticipated, but a few strong storms not outta the question. The lawns are looking a lot better. It is still rather humid w temps remaining in the 70s.😬

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Here it comes! 😀

ACF563C4-9200-4159-A3BF-88BB1DA3E0FC.jpeg

Edit:
8 hrs later and still waiting.  

As slow as this is moving everyone will need a boat after all this rain.  But I don’t hear any complaints.  
It should arrive between 10-11 pm. 
We could see 3”.  Worth the wait! 

• Like 2

Big Desert Lightning Boomers are fun too!  
They can knock you outta bed!

8:40

Finally starting.  Lots of lightning and thunder.  Nice change.  100% chance of rain for 3 days.  

2DC07762-A1E0-441A-A844-2A101F9477AE.png

• Like 5
  • Storm 1

20 minutes ago, Andie said:

Big Desert Lightning Boomers are fun too!  
They can knock you outta bed!

I’m seeing constant lighting and rumbles of thunder on the backside of this large storm that just blew up as it tracked into the valley.  Kinda wish it was dark outside to see the inter-cloud bolts light up the sky.

56AD2431-9762-4414-AB0B-0E6DDA1C3AB1.jpeg

• Like 5

Back home in MD after 3 weeks down in FL/GA. Back to the daily grind tomorrow. :( 

Humid and damp imby, sounds like a jungle outside.

• Weenie 1

Thunder, loads of lightning, and nonstop rain rolling over North Texas. Rain totals vary and still coming in. Downtown Dallas flooded, but that’s not unusual.  
79* Rain.  Will dig on rain totals as they come in. But this isn’t over.  
Really nice to see all this water!!

Looks like Ft Worth recorded 3.66” so far. today.  More on the way.  

• Like 4
  • Storm 1

14 minutes ago, Andie said:

Thunder, loads of lightning, and nonstop rain rolling over North Texas. Rain totals vary and still coming in. Downtown Dallas flooded, but that’s not unusual.  
79* Rain.  Will dig on rain totals as they come in. But this isn’t over.  
Really nice to see all this water!!

The radar looks amazing for your area...woah!  What a feeling this must be for you and all of the Texans!  Enjoy it!

• Like 2
  • Excited 1

Waking up this morning to cool and comfy temps (74F/68F) along with the fresh smell in the air from the welcomed rains yesterday.  We will have a little break today in the valley from the storms but more will be in the forecast tomorrow and Wednesday.  I was at the pool yesterday and it felt like I was in Florida.  It just baffles me that the Monsoon is so friggin' active this year and some of you in the Plains can't get a drop!  It's crazy how the weather pattern impacts one region and not the other.

Well, this is certainly a sign of the times...

Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 5.09.47 AM.png

• Like 3
  • Excited 1

I’m hearing totals will hit 4-6”. 
With what I’m seeing it likely will be the high end.  
I’ll hit 4” by noon.  
The heavens just open up.
I couldn’t see 75 yards a moment ago.  

• Like 3
  • Storm 1

1 minute ago, james1976 said:

@Tom I typically don't pay a lot of attention to the Monsoon but this year seems like it's been way more active from stuff I've seen and heard. 

You got that right!  I'm telling ya, I just went for a walk around the fountain and it feels like a day back home in the humidity or living in Florida.  The DP's have been consistently in the upper 60's to low 70's.  The mountains are seeing daily chances of storms.  Usually, what we see out here is a day or two of the Monsoon and then drier air moves in.  This year has been consistently flooded with abundant moisture in the atmosphere that provides the fuel for storm development.  I think this will end up being a record setting Monsoon for parts of the valley and the state.  Some spots will have the drought completely reversed which is a monumental achievement if you think about where the season started out.  

Now the Monsoon is hitting UT and CO pretty hard and also into W Cali where its also needed badly.  Nature has her way of balancing things out on her own time!  This is pure gut feeling and based on what I have been experiencing but don't be surprised we see a very active STJ this coming winter with an active Jet pounding Cali into the 4 corners.  I think UT/CO will see a MUCH better snow season.

• Like 2

Still pouring. We’ll pass 6” by noon.  
The sky just opens up and pours buckets.  You can hardly breath if you’re outside. Like being under water.  
Rain should continue this afternoon.  
Looks like todays total is 5.6”

40% chance of thunderstorm tomorrow   

Oh, I don’t live on a golf course anymore. I live on a lake.  
(I can build a boat dock!)

CE008E14-571C-4D34-8E34-7C58ACD693F0.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Rain 2
  • scream 4

Day 5 of Covid. Feeling good....almost back to normal. Up at the MN home. Absolutely perfect weather. Mowed the lawn and trimmed up the trees today. Power washed front of the house. Took the dog for a walk. Now having a great bonfire out back. Cicadas and crickets being loud!

• Like 7

Totals finalized. From NWS:  We made history. This is official  other areas put this in the shade    

C5ED5109-F707-4634-9139-804B3FA2A0F7.png

• Like 7
  • Sad 1
  • scream 1

Just a kind of warm 82 today with a low of 67. The worst of the muggy days must be over, we're starting to manage some afternoons with dewpoints in the 60's. 

Haven't had a hot day in a full two weeks as well (92 on 8/9)!

Each week brings different notes in the bug sounds too. There is now a strong dominance on cricket chirping vs. anything else. The nearest katydid is further down the street, crickets make up about 2/3rds of the night time noises.

• Like 3

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

They keep adjusting numbers- higher.
Officially 9.55” DFW airport  

A 1 in a 1000 year Deluge.  An awesome sight!  But many are shouting “climate change”.  Down here we call it a rare rain event. 

There have been 5-1 in 1000 yr rain events this year, pretty much along the 30 degree parallel.  That tells me it’s a cycle   Tells climate changers the world is ending.  I don’t buy it   

Its Louisiana’s turn now. 
High water rescues already occurring.  

• Like 3

The very pleasant late summer weather continues. Yesterdays official H/L at Grand Rapids was 80/63 there was no rain fall and 86% of possible sunshine was reported. The overnight low here in MBY was 55 the official overnight low at GRR was 57. At the current time it is 64 at GRR and 66 here in MBY with sunny skies. For today the average H/L is 80/61 the record high of 96 was recorded in 1947 and the record low of 43 was set in back to back years of 1951 and again in 1952.

1 hour ago, Andie said:

They keep adjusting numbers- higher.
Officially 9.55” DFW airport  

A 1 in a 1000 year Deluge.  An awesome sight!  But many are shouting “climate change”.  Down here we call it a rare rain event. 

There have been 5-1 in 1000 yr rain events this year, pretty much along the 30 degree parallel.  That tells me it’s a cycle   Tells climate changers the world is ending.  I don’t buy it   

Its Louisiana’s turn now. 
High water rescues already occurring.  

Climate change is real.  Get over it already.  Almost everyone accepts it no matter the political belief.  Mountains of evidence.  So weird your political beliefs won't let you accept a simple fact.   

• Like 3

Change yes. Cause no.  
I don’t believe man is the major cause.  
The entire solar system is experiencing some degree of change.  
I was over it a long time ago. Just not what you think ‘it’ is. 😄

• Like 5

2 hours ago, tStacsh said:

Climate change is real.  Get over it already.  Almost everyone accepts it no matter the political belief.  Mountains of evidence.  So weird your political beliefs won't let you accept a simple fact.   

calm down bro

2 hours ago, tStacsh said:

Unfortunately, I would say political beliefs determine whether one believes in man made climate change or not. Much like COVID, and that’s pretty sad. 

• Like 3