August 2022 Observation & Discussion

2 hours ago, Andie said:

Change yes. Cause no.  
I don’t believe man is the major cause.  
The entire solar system is experiencing some degree of change.  

It's still a gray area for me too. I'd like to see hypothetical cow populations on a planet not farming beef, vs. right now. 

I'm reading about how we're trying to reduce methane production specifically by changing a cows diet. Now, lets consider an environment where humans aren't doing anything to cows. Won't they still produce methane? Back in the days when times were far simpler; what stopped a cow from eating grass in one big open field?

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

2 hours ago, Timmy Supercell said:

It's still a gray area for me too. I'd like to see hypothetical cow populations on a planet not farming beef, vs. right now. 

I'm reading about how we're trying to reduce methane production specifically by changing a cows diet. Now, lets consider an environment where humans aren't doing anything to cows. Won't they still produce methane? Back in the days when times were far simpler; what stopped a cow from eating grass in one big open field?

There is very real egregious harm being done by the tons of carbon belched out by China’s factories.

. Not talking politics, just tons of carbon. That needs to stop.  
But the millions of volcanos and fumerols deep in the ocean can not be stopped.  I wish we knew what was happening under the ice on the outer planets and moons.  The comparison would be fascinating.  The ice  that is melting in Antarctica is being studied currently to locate the source of heat under the ice shelf’s.  They suspect a volcano or volcanic ridge that’s become active.  
But scientists know the solar system is experiencing change and warming.  It’s a fascinating subject once the politics takes a hike. 

Edit:  change on other planets 

https://www.space.com/33001-mars-ice-age-ending-now.html

So what’s warming THEM up?  
Martian SUVs?

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

2 hours ago, james1976 said:

I've been impressed with how quiet the tropics have been so far this year. Idk what that means moving forward but good there hasn't been any destructive storms so far.

I heard a met on a weather channel comment identically today.  
Very different season.  Maybe they’ll squeak one out before the seasons over.   

• Like 3

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

6 hours ago, Timmy Supercell said:

When the vast majority of the scientific world agrees, I tend to go with that. Especially when you consider that includes NASA scientists and the world’s top scientists at scientific institutions and universities around the world.

I tend not to believe the talking heads on Faux News, GOP congressmen, and people like Tom and Andy on a random winter blog.😂😂

• Storm 1

4 hours ago, Andie said:

There is very real egregious harm being done by the tons of carbon belched out by China’s factories.

. Not talking politics, just tons of carbon. That needs to stop.  
But the millions of volcanos and fumerols deep in the ocean can not be stopped.  I wish we knew what was happening under the ice on the outer planets and moons.  The comparison would be fascinating.  The ice  that is melting in Antarctica is being studied currently to locate the source of heat under the ice shelf’s.  They suspect a volcano or volcanic ridge that’s become active.  
But scientists know the solar system is experiencing change and warming.  It’s a fascinating subject once the politics takes a hike. 

Edit:  change on other planets 

https://www.space.com/33001-mars-ice-age-ending-now.html

So what’s warming THEM up?  
Martian SUVs?

Ain’t it great that causes for climate change can vary?

So many deniers think it’s only one or the other.

No one on the HUMAN CAUSED CLIMATE CHANGE side is denying the earth didn’t change before humans, they’re saying 7+ BILLION humans on not that big of a rock are the cause now.

Much like the Earth’s climate has changed over millions of years, Mars’s can too without humans.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

Ain’t it great that causes for climate change can vary?

So many deniers think it’s only one or the other.

No one on the HUMAN CAUSED CLIMATE CHANGE side is denying the earth didn’t change before humans, they’re saying 7+ BILLION humans on not that big of a rock are the cause now.

Much like the Earth’s climate has changed over millions of years, Mars’s can too without humans.

It’s so complex and people react so politically.  Ice ages come and go. The earth has its life. We do affect it yes. Population growth is a problem  

My very real man made disaster on the horizon that frightens me for mankind’s sake is the destruction of our oceans through human pollution. Particularly plastics.  

My sister was an oceanographer. I’ve known a few. It worries them something fierce. Destroy  the ocean and we’re right behind it. 

• Like 9

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Like a broken record yesterday was yet another very nice late summer day with a official H/L of 82/60 at Grand Rapids. There was no rain fall and the sun was out 84% of the time. The overnight low here in MBY was 60 and it looks like the official overnight low at GRR was 61. At the current time it is 62 here with clear skies. For today the average H/L is now down to 80/60 The record high of 98 was set in 1947 and 1948 the record low of 40 was set in 1942 and again in 1946. Great late summer weather looks to continue for the next several days with a chance of a few showers tomorrow.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hawkstwelve said:

Let's try and keep political and climate change related talk confined to their respective threads, yeah?

18z GFS had a beauty of a trough dipping into the Upper Midwest in the long range. Some -16c 850mb anomalies were showing up with that thing. It would be a nice taste of fall. A man can dream...

gfs_z500a_namer_53.pnggfs_T850a_ncus_52.png

This would be thing of beauty if it verifies.  We really need some moisture to go along with this change, but we'll take what we can get.

• Like 3

74* heading for 87*
Humidity currently 87%…..right

Clap your hands and it rains! Miserable.

10” of rain has its consequences. 

Yards really getting stressed in town that I drive by.  You just can't put enough water on them.  Of course this makes them more susceptible to disease.  We are 4 days away from going 1 month with only about .06" of rainfall with hot temperatures most of the time.   I hate droughts of any sort. 

• Sad 3

COME ON! GFS looks quite wet next week in KC starting Sunday morning through next Saturday, looks quite unsettled across the midsection. I'm still around 5 inches of rain short for the summer and running about 2 degrees above average on temps. 

Looking forward to fall.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MIKEKC said:

COME ON! GFS looks quite wet next week in KC starting Sunday morning through next Saturday, looks quite unsettled across the midsection. I'm still around 5 inches of rain short for the summer and running about 2 degrees above average on temps. 

Looking forward to fall.

Ottumwa Iowa has a 14 inch deficit  for 2022.  We have had steady deficits since April 1st. These are rough estimates 

April 1.5 inch below avg

May 2.5 inch below avg

June 2 inch below avg

July 2.0 inch  below avg

Aug 3 inch below avg

Its only rained  over 1 inch once in 2022. That was 1.08 in late may in 11 minutes.

Lawns basically  burned up since june.

We will probably  have a 6 inch rain one nite in September.  Thats how this place got its ridiculous high averages. 

Otherwise  were pretty  much west nebraska. 

• Like 2
  • Storm 1
  • Sick 1

We still have about an hour or so of scissor grinders (between 7:30-8:30pm) on our street.

76 degrees at time of recording, with a high of 86. Mild evening and there is noticeably more of a cool-off from the highs nowadays. I hope Septembers are usually this nice. 

• Like 4

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Today was the 30th day at/above 90°F this summer in DC. Pattern isn’t changing much going forward, either, so we’ll be steadily adding to that total.

Lower sun angles definitely noticeable now, though. Some trees are dropping interior leaves (as they always do in August) and cicadas are screaming from the trees. A sure sign summer is growing old and will soon yield to autumn.

• Like 5

Yesterday was a very warm late summer day here in Grand Rapids. The official H/L was 85/60. There was no rain fall and the sun was out 85% of the time. The overnight low here in MBY was 65 and the official low at GRR looks to have been 64. At the current time it is cloudy here and 66. There are some showers to the west over Lake Michigan that should be moving in in a little while. For today average H/L is 80/60. The record high of 94 was set in 1948 and again in 1959. The record low of 41 was set in 1942.

• Like 1

Only 0.09" here last night.  I hope this weekend can produce more widespread rain.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

I was just thinking this morning, I don't remember the last time I've seen a cloud in the sky.  Probably at least 10 days ago when we had some fog.  Every day is the same weather, 85-90 degrees, little to no wind, with a dew of 60.  Just such a frustrating pattern we are in. Still sitting at .06" in the last 28 days.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, CentralNebWeather said:

I was just thinking this morning, I don't remember the last time I've seen a cloud in the sky.  Probably at least 10 days ago when we had some fog.  Every day is the same weather, 85-90 degrees, little to no wind, with a dew of 60.  Just such a frustrating pattern we are in. Still sitting at .06" in the last 28 days.  

Most of the past 10 days have had some passing clouds, but almost no rain to speak of. Farms surrounding Lincoln are mostly dryland and don't look good at all, outside of random localized spots that have gotten multiple storms. 

• Like 2

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

43 minutes ago, snowstorm83 said:

Most of the past 10 days have had some passing clouds, but almost no rain to speak of. Farms surrounding Lincoln are mostly dryland and don't look good at all, outside of random localized spots that have gotten multiple storms. 

There is a dryland cornfield less than 1/2 a mile from me.  It was looking so good 2 weeks ago, but now looks like it is ready to harvest.  Yields will be way down, I'd assume.  All of the rest of the crops are irrigated.  They look great, but think of how much money has been spent on water, fuel, electricity, maintenance of irrigation motors.   

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Picked up another .20" of rain from some passing thunderstorms early this morning in my backyard. I will say that this pattern won't be busting the drought anytime soon, however it's nice to be getting at least some moisture from time to time. Hope you guys out west can score some rain soon! 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Tom said:

The 0z Euro is certainly favoring OK/TX with abundant moisture to close out August... @Iceresistance @OKwx2k4 can get back in the game...

image.png

Would be nice to see the Cornbelt belt regions get some needed moisture...

image.png

I've been watching this on the models

• Like 1

Never say Never with Weather, because anything is possible!

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted

GOR-geous day!  
89*.  Humidity 58%.
Wind 12 mph.  
For Texas that’s awesome.

I’ll have another, please.  🤠

• Like 3

Well, it's official. I'm moving to Tulsa Oklahoma in October so you'll be seeing a lot more of me over here soon! Any other posters on here from that area?

• Like 7
  • Excited 1

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Yesterday broke our string of sunny days with just 2% of possible sunshine. Here in MBY I recorded 0.07” of rain fall while the official reading was just a trace. The official H/L with the clouds was 76/63. The overnight low in MBY was 66 and that is the current temperature. For today the average H/L is 80/60 the record high of 95 was set in 1948 and 1973 the record low of 42 was set in 1945. It looks like we will return to some very good late summer weather for the next several days. The weekend looks to be warm with a chance of some rain come Sunday night into Monday.

• Like 2

Happy Friday!  #TGIF...things are going change around here and the Monsoon will dry up for a little while next week as we warm up into the mid/upper low 100's.  TBH, I'm ready for a change and to see lower humidity levels.  I gotta tell ya, it wears on you when temps are around 100F and DP's in the 60's each and every day.  You can't even enjoy the pool bc you don't get that "cooling" effect as I'm used to when the DP's are much lower.  Having said that, a stretch of hotter days is welcomed and I can deal with it. 

Meanwhile, the GL's/MW will cool off nicely leading up to the Labor Day weekend.  You guys are going to get a delightful stretch of early Autumn weather.  

image.gif

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Black Hole said:

Well, it's official. I'm moving to Tulsa Oklahoma in October so you'll be seeing a lot more of me over here soon! Any other posters on here from that area?

Not too far north of the Texas line.  
Get ready for cold fronts and hot as hell! Loads of weather.  

• Like 1