August 2022 Observation & Discussion

Quite a widespread area of convection, most of it weakens before reaching here. Thunder was briefly heard at our airport, but they haven't been reporting observations other than that for the last 2 days.

The last 2-3 days have been 90+, which would be our warmest stretch since July.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

3 hours ago, james1976 said:

Had another severe warned storm last night up here in MN. Dropped a quick 1.35"

Been some weeks since my county has even been in a Watch. Hope you're having fun with those!

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

3/26, 

The rain has ended here and at MBY I recorded a total of 0.84” of rain in todays rain events. The storm that formed almost overhead had the most rain with 0.55 in about 20 minutes that caused some road flooding and there was some close by lightning strikes. In the next storm there was some wind with heavy rain but no where near as heavy as earlier. In total there has been 1.92” of rain fall between the overnight rain and the rain this afternoon.  At the current time there is just under 160,000 locations without power at Consumers Power here in Michigan.

• Like 1

Zzzzzzz..... dry and warm with above average temps the next week.

Tonight
Clear, with a low around 57. Light and variable wind.
Tuesday
Sunny, with a high near 84. North northwest wind 5 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 18 mph.
Tuesday Night
Clear, with a low around 59. North wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Wednesday
Sunny, with a high near 88. Calm wind becoming south 5 to 7 mph in the afternoon.
Wednesday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 65. South southeast wind around 6 mph.
Thursday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 90.
Thursday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 67.
Friday
Sunny, with a high near 92.
Friday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 64.
Saturday
Sunny, with a high near 87.
Saturday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 63.
Sunday
Sunny, with a high near 89.
Sunday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 65.
Labor Day
Sunny, with a high near 89.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

High of 91 tomorrow but scattered rain.  60% chance.  Pretty good for us.
Scattered rain currently moving SE but may not hold together.  Another bust to our list.   

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

The storms that rolled through my place back home produced some heavy rain and pretty strong winds in the 50-60 mph range.  Lot's of storm reports of 8-12" tree branches knocked off and power outages but those were more down S/SE of the area where the line really blossomed.  I was watching the line roll through MI and thought about @westMJim @jaster220 @Niko

image.png

Nice vid of the lightning strikes...

• Like 2
  • Storm 1
  • scream 1

Local mets now think we top out at 111F today at Sky Harbor which will come close to the 2011 record of 113F.  Normal high is now a cooler 104F.  It hasn't hit 110F or higher since July 22nd!  That's quite a stretch of not seeing 110's, esp in August when you typically can see those extreme temps.  They have been all to common in the past few summers but not this year as the Monsoon season has put a cap on those extremes.

• scream 2

Very little break between the storms here! Funny how the AFD's were saying activity would lessen with the loss of daylight, but this is at least the 4th or 5th thunderstorm to hit Ashland since last night. They're a little weaker right now I guess, but the ones around 4am were pretty decent. Some of that shook the house.

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

3/26, 

Yesterday was a very wet day indeed here in Grand Rapids the official amount of rain fall was 0.94” Here at in MBY I had 0.84” The official two-day total was 1.91 here in MBY the two day total was 1.92” The official H/L yesterday at Grand Rapids was 84/67 there was a reported 21% of possible sunshine. The highest wind gust was 58MPH at Holland they reported a wind gust of 66 MPH. The official overnight low was 68 here in MBY the overnight low was 66. At this time with clear skies it is 69 here. For today the record high of 95 was set way back in 1899 and the record low of 39 was set in 1976 that 39 is the coldest low at Grand Rapids for the month of August. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom said:

The storms that rolled through my place back home produced some heavy rain and pretty strong winds in the 50-60 mph range.  Lot's of storm reports of 8-12" tree branches knocked off and power outages but those were more down S/SE of the area where the line really blossomed.  I was watching the line roll through MI and thought about @westMJim @jaster220 @Niko

image.png

Nice vid of the lightning strikes...

It was crazy here, I'll tell ya that. Winds were extremely strong (Had gusts to as high as 65mph) and they are saying that there was a possible tornado just north of me, but they are not sure yet. Some say it was a gustnado. Anyhow, very heavy rains a lotta trees down and power is out for many as well. My patio chairs were flown all over the place, just to give ya an example. That was one strong line that came over S MI. Skies became pitch dark  and suddenly, BAM!!.....this wall of very hvy rain and very strong winds W/ vivid lightning and pea size hail struck. Good stuff..."Finally." I think this was the 2nd severe storm my area had thus far this Summer.

Btw: nice vid above. Chicago was hit hard as well.

• Like 3

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

Today I saw a couple of trees already changing colors. Autumn is knocking on the doorstep.

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

Yesterday was insane! Had 3/4 of an inch of rain at my house, but the lightning was INSANE! It was crashing and banging all over the place! It even set a field on fire near the High School. 

Never say Never with Weather, because anything is possible!

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted

PHX hit a high of 111F yesterday and I felt every bit of the Heat but TBH, it wasn't that bad compared to the deeper moisture I've felt since I got here.  It's kinda nice to have the air dry out for a little while.  I can feel the difference in the A/C when your inside the house but esp when you get out of the pool and get that evaporative "cooling" effect.  Temps cool today into the mid 100's... 😎

• Like 1

Very few complaints.  
Fall is our more active time but we have to dodge the rain. That’s fine!!

We’ll be in the high 80’s Low 90’s for the week.  Chances of rain next 5 days.  

• Like 2

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

Hastings NWS keeps upping temps in the next 10 days to 2 weeks.  It is like a broken record.  Most days will now be 90 to mid 90's.  Drought continues to worsen, if that is even possible at this point.  Very slight chance of rain tonight.  Everyone I talk to is so done with this weather pattern and ready for fall.  Really no signs of hope until at least the middle of September.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Unless we get a surprise before midnight (20% POPs lol), LNK will end August tying as the 5th driest on record with only 0.55". Even worse, only there's only been 0.89" since July 7th. I don't know how Lancaster is still only in D0 drought, wouldn't be surprised to see that change tomorrow. I guess one positive thing is it seemed like we only had a handful of humid days this month. 

• Like 4

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

The official H/L at Grand Rapids yesterday was 76/63 there was no rain fall and there was 63% of possible sun shine. The official over night low at Grand Rapids was 61 while here in MBY the low was 59. For today the average H/L is now down to 79/59 the record for the date is 97 in 1953 and the record low of 43 was set in 1915 and again in 1967. It looks like with a west wind off of Lake Michigan the overnight lows were warmer near the lake last night with Muskegon only reporting a low of 71. Lows that are warmer near the lake will become more common it the days ahead.

Currently 77* at 6pm!

Light rain.   WooHoo!!🙌🙌🙌

• Like 1

76*
Rain and Lt rain.  ….awesome!🤠👍

• Like 1

The official H/L at Grand Rapids yesterday was 84/57 there have been many very nice days this warm season. There was no rain fall and the sun was out 91% of the time. For today the average H/L is down to 78/58 the record high of 98 was set way back in 1915 and the record low of a chilly 37 was set in 1946. The overnight low both here in MBY and at GRR was 66. Today should be the warmest day in the next week or so but that said next week still looks to be very nice with some chances of showers over the weekend.

For Met summer at Grand Rapids the mean for the 3 months was 71.1 that was nearly average (+0.2) the average H/L was 81/60.7 the highest reading of 95 was set on June 21st and the and the lowest reading was 45 on June 4th there were just 7 days of 90 or better. There was 9.22" (-2.13") of rain fall of that 4.98 fell in August. There was 61% of possible sunshine all in all a really great summer here in GR.

• Like 1

76*. Thunder and rain.  

Love it!!!

• Storm 1

• Tom unpinned this topic

I saw this map of the Summer temps and it pretty much drives the point that for the most part it was an average Summer across the GL's/MW region.  Some pockets of AN temps show up near the metro's (UHI effect).  The red paint bomb across Texas is one for the books.

Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 3.26.40 AM.png

• Like 2