August 2022 PNW Observations and Discussion - 1956 Redux!1!!1!

SEA -12 vs yesterday now.

It definitely seems like the warm bias of the GFS for SEA is the worst with SW wind onshore flow.  Even the ECMWF can bust high with that.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just now, ShawniganLake said:

The GEM keeps it cutoff indefinitely. 

Could happen, but the ECMWF and GFS are in the same camp now.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

28 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

They recently got put on the endangered species list due to declining numbers

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/amp/show/monarch-butterfly-declared-endangered-amid-declining-numbers

That makes me sad.  I hate seeing things go extinct or in danger of it  It really surprises me given the wide range they have.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

That makes me sad.  I hate seeing things go extinct or in danger of it  It really surprises me given the wide range they have.

Me too. I guess we can try to focus on our similarities more. I always like to see people from opposite sites of the political spectrum both valuing nature. It’s more common than advertised.

• Like 7

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

I can't remember who was showing the temp plots over the previous 5 days, but I set that up for my weather station data.  It's a fun way to look at these events and the subsequent cool down.

image.png.5e8f39466d07b34abd312eeda79f6f2c.png

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I think the fir forests in central Mexico where they winter are being destroyed which is a a big part of it. Very interesting forests high in the central Mexican mountains. Oyamel firs. Always surprises me how much it looks like a forest that could be in our region.

• Like 1

The quick return to extreme heat on the operational run still looking like a bit of an outlier on the GEFS. Although it wouldn’t surprise me to see the mean gradually trend toward the operational like it did for the failed troughy period this week 

64415427-2CBD-4ADA-8027-64E7A261F631.png

Edited by Cascadia_Wx
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Me too. I guess we can try to focus on our similarities more. I always like to see people from opposite sites of the political spectrum both valuing nature. It’s more common than advertised.

It is.  I have always been concerned about the environment.  There's a happy medium to accommodate people and nature.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

4 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

I can't remember who was showing the temp plots over the previous 5 days, but I set that up for my weather station data.  It's a fun way to look at these events and the subsequent cool down.

image.png.5e8f39466d07b34abd312eeda79f6f2c.png

I was only using hourly so it doesnt show the min/max perfectly but it gets the point across. Interesting that last night was my warmest midnight temp of the heatwave and i really didnt "cool down" until after sunrise. 

image.png.16b7313a443d28be3f825527b6b808c4.png

• Like 2

73F and smoky sun. Been clear all night and still today besides the smoke. Not sure what all the talk is on here about a troughy period. It doesn't seem that abnormal to me like the last 8 days.

• Weenie 2

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

16 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Looking more and more like I might be off the grid again in the last half of August. Hope I don’t come back to a perma-ban this time!

That is not what happened of course.   

• Troll 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2 minutes ago, Doiinko said:

Didn't we manage some snow with "fake cold" before? In Jan 2016 I think.

Truly fake cold patterns inherently don’t produce snow due to the warm mid levels. We can score small scale hybrid patterns though, like 2016 thanks to the existing surface cold. That one was really unique as a weak inside slider cutoff over Northern CA and then intensified as it drifted north. That snow was “colder” than any of the snow we had during 2016-17.

• Like 2

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

32 minutes ago, RentonHillTC said:

I was only using hourly so it doesnt show the min/max perfectly but it gets the point across. Interesting that last night was my warmest midnight temp of the heatwave and i really didnt "cool down" until after sunrise. 

image.png.16b7313a443d28be3f825527b6b808c4.png

It's definitely a good visual, I am getting half hour intervals off of my weather station.  We definitely started seeing the cooling around 10 last night.  I almost killed the A/C and opened the windows, but I wasn't sure how cool it was really going to get.

I need to get back in to my weather/climate spreadsheets.  I got out of the habit of keeping them up when I wasn't doing much spreadsheet stuff through work, but now that I am again I'll have to get back into it.

2 hours ago, SnarkyGoblin said:

I never really understood people hating the heat (especially when it's relatively temporary) while having AC in their home.

Hate is a strong word.  I like to be outside during the summer as much as possible.  I also like to enjoy being outside as much as possible.  Does that help you understand?

• Like 1

Upper level overcast and haze,  I assume some must be smoke.  I hope it stays up high, may actually keep the temp down a degree or two.  I remember some days last August/Sept that were forecast to be in the 100s and Smoke kept the temps in the upper 80s/low 90s

5 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Euro puts a bit of a dent in this weekend's narrative.

I’ve pointed out that there’s lots of ensemble spread. I definitely don’t want it to get really hot again but you can’t blame people for acknowledging  the possibility.