August 2022 PNW Observations and Discussion - 1956 Redux!1!!1!

Just now, Phil said:

PNW is having its dustbowl now. Can it get any worse?

But is it really? We have had 90" of precip this water year, if that is a dust bowl then it's not that bad. 

• Rain 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

1 minute ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

But is it really? We have had 90" of precip this water year, if that is a dust bowl then it's not that bad. 

I assume a cold season “dustbowl” isn’t possible on the westside absent glacial inception.

Just now, TacomaWx said:

Not gonna get into it but the whole series of events but it was way out of line. And just covering up the posts while doing nothing else and will lead all of this to happen again. Just pretending none of it happened and hoping it doesn’t again is a pattern that’s gone on for longer than I’ve been here and doesn’t seem to be working out well. Not gonna stick around for the repeat of events like tonight there should never be stuff like we saw tonight on a weather forum this should be a fun place where people can seriously learn stuff (most of the time it is). Most of the time when everyone’s joking around it’s not personal but every now and then sh*t like tonight happens. Should be about the weather…we don’t get serious meteorologists posting here because of this stuff and it really holds this place back allowing this stuff to happen. 

Dude, please don’t leave. Just take some time to cool off. 

• Like 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

PNW is having its dustbowl now. Can it get any worse?

Looked like Spring was nice for them. I wouldn't say its that bad this year. But late winters (Feb-March) have gotten weirdly dry since 2020. I think 2 of the top 5 driest Februarys in southern Oregon happened 2020 and 2022. 

If Spring 2021 had repeated on top of almost not having a winter aside from December, then yeah. 

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

1 minute ago, TacomaWx said:

Not gonna get into it but the whole series of events but it was way out of line. And just covering up the posts while doing nothing else and will lead all of this to happen again. Just pretending none of it happened and hoping it doesn’t again is a pattern that’s gone on for longer than I’ve been here and doesn’t seem to be working out well. Not gonna stick around for the repeat of events like tonight there should never be stuff like we saw tonight on a weather forum this should be a fun place where people can seriously learn stuff (most of the time it is). Most of the time when everyone’s joking around it’s not personal but every now and then sh*t like tonight happens. Should be about the weather…we don’t get serious meteorologists posting here because of this stuff and it really holds this place back allowing this stuff to happen. 

I am not even sure I want to be here with what Andrew did tonight.   

• lol 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, TacomaWx said:

If it happens again there’ll be consequences I’m sure. That was way over the line and cannot happen again.

Heck I need to tone down the s**tposting myself. Many of us can do better on that front.

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

I thought the emoji accusation was a joke.  Found some obscure article about a certain emoji being high-jacked for a much darker meaning.    Literally no clue.   How do we even keep up with this crap?   This is what I see when I click on the emoji list.

Screenshot_20220805-231208_Chrome.jpg

I made a comment about it but it got removed. Basically this is the first I've ever heard of the Ok emoji being used in a hugely offensive manner (something about 4chan users). 

A lot of popular movies/tv shows may have featured a character using it on camera. I think it's silly.

• Like 3

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

3/26, 

1 minute ago, Timmy Supercell said:

I made a comment about it but it got removed. Basically this is the first I've ever heard of the Ok emoji being used in a hugely offensive manner (something about 4chan users). 

A lot of popular movies/tv shows may have featured a character using it on camera. I think it's silly.

First I heard of it was here:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.oregonlive.com/news/2020/07/oregon-state-police-say-troopers-hand-gesture-in-viral-video-was-innocuous.html%3FoutputType%3Damp

Weather looked pretty nice that day.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

5 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Posts like this are completely insufferable. 

What you did tonight is truly inexcusable.  We have spent 21 years teaching our kids the complete opposite of what you vehemently and angrily falsely accused me of tonight.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Just now, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Maybe you should just stick around and not take yourself so seriously. 

Bro are you on something or just trying to get banned? Effing drop it already.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Deweydog said:

I never heard about it until I looked it up yesterday.   Why is it on the main section of emojis here??    Wow.   

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I never heard about it until I looked it up yesterday.   Why is it on the main section of emojis here??    Wow.   

Originally harmless. But got tarnished by toxic groups of social media users. 

Lots of platforms use it..

• Sad 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

3/26, 

1 hour ago, TacomaWx said:

I feel bad for people who have joined the forum in the last couple years having absolutely no idea what the forum politics are like. I’ve been here long enough to kinda understand the history now but it must be like “wtf is wrong with these people” for the first couple months. That’s how it was for me anyways 😂

I lurked for eons until joining last year.  I'm on other non wx boards, this ain't nothing when it comes to drama.  consider that a positive.  its a nice respite from the usually abrasive world of internet message boards, imo.  even with what just happened

• Like 3
  • Popcorn 1

Just now, Timmy Supercell said:

Originally harmless. But got tarnished by toxic groups of social media users. 

Lots of platforms use it..

Unbelievable.  I honestly don't keep up with this stuff but it should be removed here.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Weenie 1

10 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Unbelievable.  I honestly don't keep up with this stuff but it should be removed here.

Unfortunately we can’t control how hate groups use certain symbols. Did you also know that “88” is a symbol used by neonazis? 

I mostly lurk here but it seems to me that Andrew was really stirring the pot because he is bored or something. 

Just now, SnowWillarrive said:

Unfortunately we can’t control how hate groups use certain symbols.

Did you also know that “88” is a symbol used by neonazis? 

I mostly lurk here but it seems to me that Andrew was really stirring the pot because he is bored or something. 

Did not know that either.    After 20 years... you would think Andrew might PM me and tell me that emoji has some hidden dark meaning so I can change it.   Rather than launching into a 2 day personal attack that could not be farther from the truth.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

We experienced about 4 hours of brutal humidity on Tuesday evening.    No one wanted to be outside.  It's been a long time since I have felt it that sticky and luckily it was gone almost as fast as it came on.   Wednesday was actually sort of chilly and windy.    I can honestly say I would hate to have that crap all summer.    It would ruin summer.  

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Guess I missed some stuff on the forum today. Yikes. Anyway, 73/47 on the day.

.26” of liquid so far on the month. 

• Like 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Unfortunate things I seemed to have missed. On a more positive note this EURO run seems to have some nice thunder/lightning chances for NW OR on Tuesday-- followed by a potent wave of thunderstorms for W. WA on Thursday (bulk of it is too west for the Puget Sound this run). 

lightning tuesday.png

lightning wednesday .png

• Like 3

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Very decent ECMWF run tonight.  Warm for a few days then falls back to normal and even below.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 hour ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

It's been kind of interesting up here.  Bone dry summers, but the other three seasons have been consistently normal to quite wet.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I can't even fucking enjoy myself with friends for one fucking night

• Sad 2
  • Weenie 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

1 minute ago, Meatyorologist said:

I can't even fucking enjoy myself with friends for one fucking night

Is everything ok?

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

22 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Unfortunate things I seemed to have missed. On a more positive note this EURO run seems to have some nice thunder/lightning chances for NW OR on Tuesday-- followed by a potent wave of thunderstorms for W. WA on Thursday (bulk of it is too west for the Puget Sound this run). 

lightning tuesday.png

lightning wednesday .png

Yeah...At this point the ULL seems intent on moving up the coast too far west to give the Puget Sound area much of a shot.  Pretty rare for the coast to be ground zero for warm core action.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9