August 2022 PNW Observations and Discussion - 1956 Redux!1!!1!

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

We might just break the 2015 record for 90-degree days.     Hard to imagine that happening given that we have a rapidly strengthening Nina right now... and this is a rare 3rd year Nina.     Pretty crazy.

This is a head scratcher for sure.  Can't wait to see what this may lead to going forward.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

5 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

The really weird thing is the atmosphere over the tropical Pacific has been textbook La Nina this summer.  Not sure what is causing the abnormal abundance of heat in a multi year Nina summer.  The MJO has almost totally avoided touching any regions hostile to La Nina for weeks now.

Could be a fun crash this fall after we finally slog our way through all of the heat.  The summer to autumn transition has actually become rather profound here in recent years.

Could be a warming effect from Tonga volcano.   I know this will be downvoted... but it is possible.    It will be really interesting to see if the warmth continues beyond summer.

• Like 2
  • lol 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sun 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Weenie 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

15 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

The really weird thing is the atmosphere over the tropical Pacific has been textbook La Nina this summer.  Not sure what is causing the abnormal abundance of heat in a multi year Nina summer.  The MJO has almost totally avoided touching any regions hostile to La Nina for weeks now.

Could be a fun crash this fall after we finally slog our way through all of the heat.  The summer to autumn transition has actually become rather profound here in recent years.

that warm pool/blob over the N Pacific seems to be a semi permanent feature now and maybe wasn't as profound the last time we had a triple decker Nina

• Troll 1

15 hours ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Honestly, it’s not. The meanings behind symbols change, and not always for the better. The swastika once had generally positive connotations as both a Native American and Hindu symbol of good luck (many businesses and sports teams used the swastika name and symbol) until the Nazis basically ruined it.

That symbol means a lot of things and is even commonly used by the deaf..   I don't think we should go running around trying to make everyone happy simply because someeone asserts it's a symbol of hate.  That was a purely political assertion which should not be given the time of day--and should not be political here either.  But let's agree to disagree.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Marine Layer said:

17 degrees cooler in Eugene than yesterday at this time.

Currently clear skies and 74F.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

15 hours ago, TacomaWx said:

Well I’ve given it some thought and Ive changed my mind and think I’ll stick around. Get a good feeling after the incident a few days ago that type of thing won’t be tolerated again so maybe it’ll be a good thing moving forward. 

Looks like I’m off the wagon as well. My wife won’t even look at my pictures of clouds, so looks like I’ll have to continue to post them here. 

• Like 3
  • lol 2

17 minutes ago, T-Town said:

Looks like I’m off the wagon as well. My wife won’t even look at my pictures of clouds, so looks like I’ll have to continue to post them here. 

LOL.

Same here.  

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • Downvote 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2 minutes ago, T-Town said:

90 at seatac. 

Might be a rounding error still. They should reach it though since they were 1 degree  warmer than yesterday at the 2:53 hourly measurement.

SEA’s all time record for 90+ degree days is 12 and today would be their tenth this Summer I believe.

• scream 1

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

3 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

Might be a rounding error still. They should reach it though since they were 1 degree  warmer than yesterday at the 2:53 hourly measurement.

SEA’s all time record for 90+ degree days is 12 and today would be their tenth this Summer I believe.

I’m seeing it on this site. Is this an automated conversion from celsius and we need to wait for a confirmation of some kind?

This would be number 10 if it’s official. 

65575B76-6ADC-4F19-A801-568EBB78570A.png

11 minutes ago, T-Town said:

I’m seeing it on this site. Is this an automated conversion from celsius and we need to wait for a confirmation of some kind?

This would be number 10 if it’s official. 

65575B76-6ADC-4F19-A801-568EBB78570A.png

Have to wait until 3:53 p.m. update which is considered top of the hour for some reason.    The inter-hour observations can be off due to rounding and might not represent actual high for the day.   Although many times the high temp is higher than all of the hourly observations for the day.     No idea why.  

• Like 1

With SE flow this is just perfect for storm lovers. Always fun to see these storms pop to the south and move over the lowlands. 

...Central Oregon (near/east of the Cascades)...
   Downstream (to the northeast of the approaching mid-level low),
   forcing for ascent is generally forecast to contribute to
   considerable thunderstorm development Tuesday afternoon into Tuesday
   evening.  Forecast soundings indicate that CAPE may remain limited
   to 500-1000 J/kg or less, but beneath 30-70 kt southerly flow in the
   500-300 mb layer, strong deep-layer shear will be at least
   conditionally supportive of isolated supercells posing a risk to
   produce severe hail and locally strong surface gusts.
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Have to wait until 3:53 p.m. update which is considered top of the hour for some reason.    The inter-hour observations can be off due to rounding and might not represent actual high for the day.   Although many times the high temp is higher than all of the hourly observations for the day.     No idea why.  

For some reason they take the initial measurements in Celcius and then report the inter-hour ones as the nearest Fahrenheit value. So sometimes the real value is higher and sometimes it's lower. Really pretty dumb and unnecessarily confusing. 

• Like 4

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

Still 88 at SEA on the 4 p.m. observation... no change from last hour.   

And 90 degrees is still not official.    Now we wait until the next update at 4:53 p.m.  

3 hours ago, Phishy Wx said:

that warm pool/blob over the N Pacific seems to be a semi permanent feature now and maybe wasn't as profound the last time we had a triple decker Nina

It's actually an extreme -PDO though.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9