August 2022 PNW Observations and Discussion - 1956 Redux!1!!1!

4 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

For a little historical perspective, the previous max/min record for a 30 day stretch was 62.1, also 7/16 through 8/14 in 1998.

Record should bloat a bit further with some mid 60’s stuff in a few days and a VERY chilly low of 55 back on 7/18 disappears from history.

That is interesting it happened during a Nina, but that was only the early stages of it.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

3 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

The funny thing is this month hasn't seemed that bad.  Only 2 days of 85+ so far.  Looks like we have one more nasty round to get through, and then hopefully that will be it.

Yeah so far it hasn’t been too bad. Honestly besides the last week of July this summer hasn’t been too bad here. Just a few warm days outside of that one week and too dry for my preferences but it could be worse. The upcoming heatwave doesn’t look too significant. Last summer was much worse IMO. 

On 8/12/2022 at 7:14 PM, Jginmartini said:

Storms hung with me most the day as I traveled 89 northbound.  Just missed having to cross through and area of road that was flash flooding.   While I was shooting the hay bails a cop went wizzing past me, I knew something was up.  Glad they didn’t shut it down. Would of been a long detour.  Had to sit around 30 minutes while they got the debris off road. Cool moment for me though 😊

65EEE1F9-3505-40F2-A9A4-84BEFD32D9F0.jpeg

D2872F4A-72C2-4167-8E3C-2B3520650602.jpeg

2DB1018B-DD29-4C81-9F8D-6DB7E6D5F507.jpeg

You are living the good life Sir! 🤩 Love following your pictures. Do you have an Instagram or other site where you post all your beautiful destinations?

27 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

That is interesting it happened during a Nina, but that was only the early stages of it.

PDX reeled off 19 straight 60+ lows during that stretch, which at the time was pretty unimaginable. Basically a big period at the end of global warming.

• Troll 2

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

48 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

The funny thing is this month hasn't seemed that bad.  Only 2 days of 85+ so far.  Looks like we have one more nasty round to get through, and then hopefully that will be it.

I just drank a glacier freeze gatorade. Cool summer!!

• lol 2

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

1 hour ago, Front Ranger said:

5 of the past 6 Julys at SEA have had under .20" of rain. And 6 of the past 7 Augusts (including this one so far) have had less than 1/3" of rain.

It's very impressive how well set this regime has become for WA.  Ridiculously dry summers followed by above normal precip the rest of the year.  Wash, rinse, repeat.  Obviously places further south have been quite dry overall though.

The summers have been so dry here the false dandelion plants in our yard have literally turned to dust every summer.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

9 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I just drank a glacier freeze gatorade. Cool summer!!

Just saying this hasn't felt like it's part of a possible record warm August.  Been very comfortable except for two days so far.  I realize that is probably going to change very soon.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

28 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

PDX reeled off 19 straight 60+ lows during that stretch, which at the time was pretty unimaginable. Basically a big period at the end of global warming.

Wow! 

It certainly is true the 1998 La Nina marked the beginning of a few years of global cooling too, which later reversed of course.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

7 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Just saying this hasn't felt like it's part of a possible record warm August.  Been very comfortable except for two days so far.  I realize that is probably going to change very soon.

The fact that every day that isn’t near record warm is notable lately is pretty notable 

• Weenie 2

3 hours ago, LowerGarfield said:

Up to 81 at my location now. Yesterday was quite nice. We went to Hells Gate in Lewiston and the high there was about 90 but at the river in the shade it felt more like 75-80 so it was perfect. We're due for another heat wave on the east side of the state but that's to be expected in August. 

I was swimming in the Columbia yesterday near Vantage and it was 90 degrees with a DP of -2 and 25 mph wind gusts. By far the least hot 90 degrees I’ve ever felt.

• Like 2

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

1 hour ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

You are living the good life Sir! 🤩 Love following your pictures. Do you have an Instagram or other site where you post all your beautiful destinations?

Thanks 😊
I’m afraid I’m just FB dude and I have been spamming it good with my photos and travel…lol!  

Sent you a DM 😊

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Swamp said:

It was a great road tip but the huge cell we went through caused someone on a motorcycle to put down his bike.  Not sure on the riders condition but a lot of cars stopped in the pouring rain to check on him.  The bike was a mangled mess.

We tried to out run the cell as it was heading north east at 35mph but when we hit Butte and headed West we knew we weren't gonna make it.  At least we didn't have the half inch sized hail the weather alert called for.

Hope their ok!  Saw many bikers and wasn’t sure how they managed these storms!  Just crazy….cool you got the hail and not damaging I assume.  I tried to avoid being under the main cells as well but got close enough for pictures.  Didn’t always work out that way as I was consumed many times. Of course visibility went out the door and all you see is muted flashes of lightning and Thunder is muffled by the heavy rain.  Can’t wait to go play again!!! 

• Storm 1

50 minutes ago, Jginmartini said:

Hope their ok!  Saw many bikers and wasn’t sure how they managed these storms!  Just crazy….cool you got the hail and not damaging I assume.  I tried to avoid being under the main cells as well but got close enough for pictures.  Didn’t always work out that way as I was consumed many times. Of course visibility went out the door and all you see is muted flashes of lightning and Thunder is muffled by the heavy rain.  Can’t wait to go play again!!! 

Quite a monsoon season. 

1 hour ago, bainbridgekid said:

I was swimming in the Columbia yesterday near Vantage and it was 90 degrees with a DP of -2 and 25 mph wind gusts. By far the least hot 90 degrees I’ve ever felt.

Are you sure the air was really that dry?  Pretty extraordinary if it was.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

56 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Meanwhile, it’s a gorgeous day.

Them's fightin words!

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Looks like SEA will come in right between the GFS and ECMWF today for max temp.  Probably a lesson in there somewhere...

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

43 minutes ago, Mr Marine Layer said:

Quite a monsoon season. 

It has been much needed as you know!  Every day storms firing off in the same locations around the mountains then they drift off slowly and fade away.  Really fascinating to watch!  Love the rain shafts as one would dissipate another would form under a different part of the storm. 
Next time I need to just stake out a spot and do a timelapse….bet that would look cool.  

16 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Lake Tapps... gorgeous day!    Boat is docked here at restaurant and time for early dinner.   

Just can't imagine wishing summer away.  

20220814_160559.jpg

20220814_160104.jpg

I enjoy it for the most part. 90% of the days are very beautiful and enjoyable until we get a bunch of 90s or smoky at the end. Think we may avoid the smoke part this year though. 

• Like 2
  • Excited 1

13 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

I enjoy it for the most part. 90% of the days are very beautiful and enjoyable until we get a bunch of 90s or smoky at the end. Think we may avoid the smoke part this year though. 

I don’t know about avoiding smoke. With more lightning possibly on the way and heat likely lasting through the end of the month it’s not hard to imagine regional fires getting a lot worse before we get into the rainy season.

4 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I don’t know about avoiding smoke. With more lightning possibly on the way and heat likely lasting through the end of the month it’s not hard to imagine regional fires getting a lot worse before we get into the rainy season.

I’m feeling optimistic about this year. Of course I was pretty optimistic in 2020 too then what wasn’t a terrible summer was ruined by the Labor Day storm. 

• Like 1
  • Sick 1

12 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

I’m feeling optimistic about this year. Of course I was pretty optimistic in 2020 too then what wasn’t a terrible summer was ruined by the Labor Day storm. 

This summer has been a lot hotter than 2020 so unfortunately it would take a lot less than a freak event like that to really get things going.

• Downvote 1
  • Weenie 1

WILDFIRE UPDATE

Let's do this again...

NEW Known Wildfires started today! 8/14/22  

Washington - 8 (8 new fires in the state. There are five large fires in the state. Crews had expected to beat the Cow Canyon and Vantage Highway Fire by Sunday, but it doesn't appear that has happened.  There are also many small fires that have sparked up along I-5 between Olympia and Longview.  These will be put out quick, but a reminder to not throw cigarettes out your window. The total remains at 42.) Total: 42

Oregon - 3 (3 new fires in the state. Crews are doing an amazing job at cleaning up fires. There are three large fires in the state. The total of fires drops from 49 to 45.) Total: 45

Idaho - 2 (2 new fires in the state.  A new large fast moving fire called the 'Ra 7 Mhrfpa Fire' is spreading southeast of Boise along the freeway, but thankfully it is expected to be put out soon. Lightning in the St. Joe National Forest sparked at least half a dozen new fires.  Growth potential is possible as there is plenty of fuel to expand. We got from three to four large fires in the state. The total number fires grows from 19 to 25.) Total: 25

British Columbia - 96 (Yesterday say 74 new fires, 108, and now 96. The number of large fires in the province is six.  Lightning sparked several fires along the Columbia Mountains within the Southeast District.  Several are along BC-23, but many are in remote locations as well. Fires are burning around Galena and Winlaw.  There are plenty of fuels, so we will keep an eye on their progression or decline. The total amount of fires in the province is 158.) Total: 158

Who Has had The Most Amount of Fires (Ranked by days in which they've had the most fires, only counting days we've kept track here.)

1. British Columbia - 20 days with the most wildfires

2. Oregon - 2 days with the most wildfires.

SMOKE UPDATE

As promised for awhile, winds shifted southward for Medford and Klamath Falls, allowing both areas to have some much needed, smoke-free, healthy air.  The metro areas in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and BC all are seeing clean air. Poor air quality still exists due to smoke in various BC valleys near wildfires. Overall, smoke has blown eastward now high aloft over Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, and the prairie provinces. 

• Like 7

55 minutes ago, NWbyNW said:

WILDFIRE UPDATE

Let's do this again...

NEW Known Wildfires started today! 8/14/22  

Washington - 8 (8 new fires in the state. There are five large fires in the state. Crews had expected to beat the Cow Canyon and Vantage Highway Fire by Sunday, but it doesn't appear that has happened.  There are also many small fires that have sparked up along I-5 between Olympia and Longview.  These will be put out quick, but a reminder to not throw cigarettes out your window. The total remains at 42.) Total: 42

Oregon - 3 (3 new fires in the state. Crews are doing an amazing job at cleaning up fires. There are three large fires in the state. The total of fires drops from 49 to 45.) Total: 45

Idaho - 2 (2 new fires in the state.  A new large fast moving fire called the 'Ra 7 Mhrfpa Fire' is spreading southeast of Boise along the freeway, but thankfully it is expected to be put out soon. Lightning in the St. Joe National Forest sparked at least half a dozen new fires.  Growth potential is possible as there is plenty of fuel to expand. We got from three to four large fires in the state. The total number fires grows from 19 to 25.) Total: 25

British Columbia - 96 (Yesterday say 74 new fires, 108, and now 96. The number of large fires in the province is six.  Lightning sparked several fires along the Columbia Mountains within the Southeast District.  Several are along BC-23, but many are in remote locations as well. Fires are burning around Galena and Winlaw.  There are plenty of fuels, so we will keep an eye on their progression or decline. The total amount of fires in the province is 158.) Total: 158

Who Has had The Most Amount of Fires (Ranked by days in which they've had the most fires, only counting days we've kept track here.)

1. British Columbia - 20 days with the most wildfires

2. Oregon - 2 days with the most wildfires.

SMOKE UPDATE

As promised for awhile, winds shifted southward for Medford and Klamath Falls, allowing both areas to have some much needed, smoke-free, healthy air.  The metro areas in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and BC all are seeing clean air. Poor air quality still exists due to smoke in various BC valleys near wildfires. Overall, smoke has blown eastward now high aloft over Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, and the prairie provinces. 

What about California?????

4 hours ago, snow_wizard said:

Are you sure the air was really that dry?  Pretty extraordinary if it was.

According to this station nearby it was. Yesterday evening it recorded an 87 degree temp and -10 degree DP.

https://www.weather.gov/wrh/timeseries?site=TVANT

• lol 1

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

4 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

According to this station nearby it was. Yesterday evening it recorded an 87 degree temp and -10 degree DP.

https://www.weather.gov/wrh/timeseries?site=TVANT

DP dropped from 42 to 9 in 15 minutes early this morning while the ambient temperature dropped one degree. That seems pretty close to impossible.

• Snow 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.