August 2022 PNW Observations and Discussion - 1956 Redux!1!!1!

5 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Always safe to bet on hot summers nowadays.

There’s hot and then there’s breaking multiple all time records hot. I am the first to be grim about summer predictions but this year even threw me for a loop with the very Niña-esque spring preceding it.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 2

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

18 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Real talk time though. Did anyone see this coming for the summer? Even during the massive heatwave at the end of last month, some were pointing to it as a good sign for a cooler late summer. That clearly isn’t happening. WTF is going on. Any alphabet soup, Phil? 

Combination of long term warming trend, strong but not ridiculous 4CH with favorable placement starting a few weeks ago and an almost constant barrage storminess over AK and the GOA. Poor Anchorage has had 7+ inches of rain since the pattern set in.

• Like 4

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

3 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Combination of long term warming trend, strong but not ridiculous 4CH with favorable placement starting a few weeks ago and an almost constant barrage storminess over AK and the GOA. Poor Anchorage has had 7+ inches of rain since the pattern set in.

I have noticed there is a very strong early season jet off to our NW. Maybe it will finally migrate down here at some point and we can get a nice active fall.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Based on the models after this heatwave there’s another one in the 8/24-8/27 period. Euros showing what would likely verify as some +90 days here which would be the latest we’ve had +90 weather here since 2016 or potentially even 2013. Not very common to get into the 90s that late in the summer here. 

• Like 3
  • Popcorn 1

Just now, Cascadia_Wx said:

I have noticed there is a very strong early season jet off to our NW. Maybe it will finally migrate down here at some point and we can get a nice active fall.

F*ck ton of energy dumping into the gulf right now on repeat. That will change eventually as wavelengths do. 

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • scream 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

WILDFIRE UPDATE

NEW Known Wildfires started today! 8/16/22  

Washington - 5 (5 new fires in the state. Many new fires started in the southeastern corner of the State due to lightning strikes.  These are expected to be put out quickly by crews from Clarkston.  There are five large fires in the state after the growth of the Mohr Fire, 8 miles southeast of Waterville.  Several fires have been put out, including all the new fires from yesterday. The total drops from 46 to 33.) Total: 33

Oregon - 4 (4 new fires in the state. There are three large fires in the state. The total increases by one to 41.) Total: 41

Idaho - 0 (No new fires in the state.  We got four large fires in the state. The total number fires remains at 26.) Total: 26

California - 29 (29 new fires in the state of California.  There is concern with an upcoming heatwave set to hit the Bay Area and regions north, that fires could spread.  Crews have made excellent progress now controlling two large fires along the CA-Oregon border deep in the Klamath National Forest.  There are now five large fires in the state. The total drops from 60 to 57.) Total: 57

British Columbia - 23 (The smallest increase in new fires in the past week with only 23 new fires. There are five large fires in the province. The total amount of fires in the province see's a big drop from 145 to 122.  Weather and hard working crews are making good progress.) Total: 122

Who Has had The Most Amount of Fires (Ranked by days in which they've had the most fires, only counting days we've kept track here.)

1. British Columbia - 22 days with the most wildfires

2. Oregon - 2 days with the most wildfires.

SMOKE UPDATE

Besides isolated areas within some BC valleys, around Wenatchee, and near La Pine, smoke is mostly aloft and out of the breathing air for the populace of the Pacific Northwest.  Boise metro is seeing some hazy, smoky skies as plume from the nearby fires in the Bitterroots are causing air quality issues.  

Air quality is degrading heavily compared to yesterday in California. All of Northern California is under moderate to hazardous air due to smoke.  Coastal areas are good. Smoke and haze is effecting the Inland Empire from Stockton to Bakersfield. Air quality is mostly good with a few moderate pockets in Southern California. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, LowerGarfield said:

I personally think it's strange that NWS Missoula covers Clearwater and Idaho counties in Idaho since they are closer to Spokane's forecast and most places there are on Pacific Time. But what is even weirder is that Orfofino (low elevation) is in the same forecast zone  area as Grangeville which is about 2.5-3k ft higher and which receives a lot more snow. So a big snow event in Grangeville still issues a warning in Orofino which is only slightly different from Lewiston.

I agree that there are many areas all across the country that shouldn't be combined but it's just not feasible to have a NWS office in every town/city throughout the US.

What I do think that the NWS could do better on is actually breaking down their forecast discussions to each different forecast zone that they cover. It would then hopefully provide some clarity to their point forecasts as well.

• Like 3

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

11 minutes ago, T-Town said:

Doesn’t get much better in the summertime. 

Other than the last week of July... its been pretty spectacular since summer got rolling.   Most days in the 70s and 80s and lots of sun.   👍

• Like 3

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Other than the last week of July... its been pretty spectacular since summer got rolling.   Most days in the 70s and 80s and lots of sun.   👍

Completely agree. Been spectacular here other than the long heatwave which got a bit tiresome. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Doiinko said:

We could possibly make it on the list

image.png.dc5242c9e2cd4dae82d25c2d0cfb4392.png

Meanwhile Las Vegas has seen its wettest monsoon season in 10 years. It's helped keep most of their highs so far in August under 100. Only 5 days of 100+ degree highs so far through the first 15 days, a record. The record for the whole month is 17 set back in 1968, 1983, and 1984. Interesting one of PDX longest dry spells in 1984 also occurred last time Las Vegas tied this record.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

Meanwhile Las Vegas has seen its wettest monsoon season in 10 years. It's helped keep most of their highs so far in August under 100. Only 5 days of 100+ degree highs so far through the first 15 days, a record. The record for the whole month is 17 set back in 1968, 1983, and 1984. Interesting one of PDX longest dry spells in 1984 also occurred last time Las Vegas tied this record.

Interestingly August 1968 was very wet in the PNW

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

You did say more recently that the pattern would flip to troughy in the West in the second half of July... then moved that to a delayed start of July 25th.     Apparently this is still delayed?

I’m going to troll your a** into oblivion this winter/spring. You ain’t seen half of what I’m capable of when on a petty streak.

• Popcorn 4
  • Weenie 2

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

I’m going to troll your a** into oblivion this winter/spring. You ain’t seen half of what I’m capable of when on a petty streak.

Sounds like a good admin here. 👍 

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I’m actually the only reason you’re still posting here. Just FYI.

• Confused 1
  • scream 1
  • Sick 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Fred is laughing at a distance from his Twitter hideout as we speak

• Like 1
  • lol 1
  • Popcorn 3

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

It took a while to get it rolling this year, but it’s been a great summer except for the last week of July ever since the sub-60 high we had on July 3. Hopefully the heat towards the end of next week isn’t as bad as some of the models show.

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, Phil said:

Next trade surge right over the IPWP again.

A1EABEDC-796D-44BD-A29C-9F4E09CD495E.png

Ever since you started posting about the trade winds back in late June... its been quite ridgy overall.    Something is definitely off this year.

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

@Phil  I did a Google search on that resort you are staying at and now my Facebook feed has been begging me to come to coastal GA for the last week.   😎

This place is paradise.

A humid paradise. But paradise nonetheless.

F2E1DE1A-68FC-48E1-8696-7089D96E5190.jpeg604FEF09-0EA2-4E9F-B8E8-6EAFD87A38BC.jpegC3126D0F-6DA5-4915-BEF8-F6521EEB31C2.jpeg8D949BD6-EC13-443B-95BF-B8440ECF23F0.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sick 1

BTW I caught a weird photo that gives me the creeps.

Was taking a picture of this crane and that figure wearing the black cape in the background was 100% NOT there. I was the only one on the beach. Could be a camera artifact..I guess? Lol. 😬 

20C88538-0BB5-4271-A0C3-4DD88BCD83E5.jpeg

• lol 1
  • scream 1
  • Weenie 1

Just now, Phil said:

BTW I caught a weird photo that gives me the creeps.

Was taking a picture of this crane and that figure wearing the black cape in the background was 100% NOT there. I was the only one on the beach. Could be a camera artifact..I guess? Lol. 😬 

20C88538-0BB5-4271-A0C3-4DD88BCD83E5.jpeg

Looks like either a bird or an umbrella.

8 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I’m just glad to hear that all it takes is a near all time record warm summer to make some people happy here.

Apparently a record or near record cold/wet spring is all it takes for some people to be happy here.   Very easy to achieve.  

• Weenie 1