August 2022 PNW Observations and Discussion - 1956 Redux!1!!1!

06z NAM has a nice east slope rain event for OR.

• Like 4
  • Storm 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

16 hours ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

That sounds unattainable. Makes me tired to even think about posting that much.

I'm trying to figure out how the hell Tim posts so much while he is on vacation.  I was on vacation last week, and we put over 700 miles on the rental car, and I barely had time to even read the forum, much less post.  I still haven't had a chance to go back and read posts during the t-storms last week while I was gone.

• Like 3
  • Popcorn 2

13 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

I'm trying to figure out how the hell Tim posts so much while he is on vacation.  I was on vacation last week, and we put over 700 miles on the rental car, and I barely had time to even read the forum, much less post.  I still haven't had a chance to go back and read posts during the t-storms last week while I was gone.

I really didn't post that much on my last vacation... but there is usually down time even during vacations.    I guess it depends on what you are doing.  

• Weenie 3

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

9 hours ago, snow_wizard said:

GFS has dropped to 79 for Friday now.  Nice!

06Z run was down to 77 on Friday.    Long range looks much warmer though. 

gfs-deterministic-KSEA-daily_tmin_tmax-0716000.png

• Downvote 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

10 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

@Phil  I did a Google search on that resort you are staying at and now my Facebook feed has been begging me to come to coastal GA for the last week.   😎

Where did @Phil stay?  It is nice there if you can handle the heat/humidity, and the marsh smell....and the bugs...did I mention the heat and humidity?

Seriously though, the sand dunes, all of the tidal estuaries and wildlife, massive oak trees with Spanish moss hanging off them, it is a pretty part of the country.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Where did @Phil stay?  It is nice there if you can handle the heat/humidity, and the marsh smell....and the bugs...did I mention the heat and humidity?

Seriously though, the sand dunes, all of the tidal estuaries and wildlife, massive oak trees with Spanish moss hanging off them, it is a pretty part of the country.

https://www.seaisland.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwo_KXBhAaEiwA2RZ8hOi8WlSTEetXGqTQb3bfFw57E79yIe82FkCgVPLI1pEWM_DlyMYC_RoCCh0QAvD_BwE

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I really didn't post that much on my last vacation... but there is usually down time even during vacations.    I guess it depends on what you are doing.  

My little side trip up to Asheville really took a huge chunk of time out of the trip.  It was totally worth it, but it was also 7-8 hours in the car round trip.  And my kids were staying with my niece about 15-20 minutes away, so it was a round trip picking them up and dropping them off each day.  I was kinda shocked when I got the receipt from the rental car company and it had over 700 miles on it.

My buddy lives in Black Mountain just north of Asheville, and I could see myself living there if I ever had to move back east.  Neat little community, and I have forgotten how beautiful the Appalachians are.  His house sits at about 2,500 feet elevation, and it definitely made a difference in the temp.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Oh yeah, that's where the rich folks go.  Very high end there.   I have a couple of friends who have family homes there.  We went over a couple of times to see them, and you have to go past a guard shack on the causeway leading the island.  I guess its to keep the ruffians and scofflaws out.  Or maybe to make the people living there feel more important. 

Somehow we made it through the checkpoint.

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

At face value... the 00Z EPS shows SEA breaking the record for 90-degree days with 3 more coming up in the next 10 days.    Particularly considering it has a cool bias.  

ecmwf-ensemble-KSEA-daily_tmin_tmax-0694400.png

1 hour ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

It’s mind boggling. I generally try to limit posting on trips. Maybe a pop in once a day or so for a picture or OBS from wherever we’re staying.

• Like 3

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

49 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

We tend to take “simple” vacations like to my relatives summer place in Orondo, or rent a VRBO either on the coast or in E. Wa. Even when we go to Mexico we stay at our friends place right on the beach so it’s a direct flight down, our friends pick us up at the airport, and we spend the majority of our time at the house…The kids spend 80% of the time in the pool so I’m hanging out poolside watching them so I have lots of downtime other than making sure nobody drowns. And of course we have the long time family lake house 20min away from our house so those are like simple mini outings. When the kids get older we might do more extensive road trips to other states but for now we keep it simple which is right up my ally! You shouldn’t come back from vacation even more exhausted than before vaca! 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

51 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

At face value... the 00Z EPS shows SEA breaking the record for 90-degree days with 3 more coming up in the next 10 days.    Particularly considering it has a cool bias.  

ecmwf-ensemble-KSEA-daily_tmin_tmax-0694400.png

Even for its cool bias, none of these days are at normal or below normal. Crazy second half of summer. 

13 minutes ago, MossMan said:

We tend to take “simple” vacations like to my relatives summer place in Orondo, or rent a VRBO either on the coast or in E. Wa. Even when we go to Mexico we stay at our friends place right on the beach so it’s a direct flight down, our friends pick us up at the airport, and we spend the majority of our time at the house…The kids spend 80% of the time in the pool so I’m hanging out poolside watching them so I have lots of downtime other than making sure nobody drowns. And of course we have the long time family lake house 20min away from our house so those are like simple mini outings. When the kids get older we might do more extensive road trips to other states but for now we keep it simple which is right up my ally! You shouldn’t come back from vacation even more exhausted than before vaca! 

We also tend to a lot of VRBO or Air BnB rentals but I stay busy.  I am lucky enough to be the stay at home half of our marriage, but that means more to do on vacay.  Rentals often mean cooking, and that means more shopping and prep.  I am ok with it because the one who cooks and shops always gets what they want to eat!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, MossMan said:

For once, I didn't come back more tired.  I finally accepted that I have to pony up for Premium Economy (I am about 6'2"-6'3" and about 270#), so I had plenty of legroom.  For the Atlanta-Seattle flight, there was no one in the middle seat.  I have wide shoulders, so I am usually tensed up trying to not impede on the middle seat passenger's space....didn't have to worry about that this trip.  The gal in the aisle seat was really tall, and skinny but large framed, and we both celebrated when we figured out the middle seat would be empty.  Also, my flight into Bellingham landed about 5pm which gave me time to come home and unwind before bed.

Also, now that my "kids" are adults, it's a lot easier...."you have my credit card, go find food and be at the gate by the time boarding starts"

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

My little side trip up to Asheville really took a huge chunk of time out of the trip.  It was totally worth it, but it was also 7-8 hours in the car round trip.  And my kids were staying with my niece about 15-20 minutes away, so it was a round trip picking them up and dropping them off each day.  I was kinda shocked when I got the receipt from the rental car company and it had over 700 miles on it.

My buddy lives in Black Mountain just north of Asheville, and I could see myself living there if I ever had to move back east.  Neat little community, and I have forgotten how beautiful the Appalachians are.  His house sits at about 2,500 feet elevation, and it definitely made a difference in the temp.

Altitude really helps. Boone, NC has a pretty nice climate (probably the best one of any town its size in the South).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boone,_North_Carolina#Geography_and_climate

• Like 3
It's called clown range for a reason.

6 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Altitude really helps. Boone, NC has a pretty nice climate (probably the best one of any town its size in the South).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boone,_North_Carolina#Geography_and_climate

Try Banner Elk, NC. over 4000' up or better yet Beech Mountain NC at 5500' the highest incorporated place east of the mississippi 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

I’m on vacation and have been posting. Easy to lay on a chase lounge and s**tpost if you have WiFi and nothing better to do.

We don’t do many activities on our vacations. The best way to recharge your batteries is to do as little as possible.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

The humidity here is bonkers. Definitely worse than Tampa/Sarasota FL (where we were the previous week). Been coming down here every August for 26 years, and I’ve never experienced humidity this bad, not even in New Orleans. Has something to do with the marshlands surrounding the island, I think.

However, a record breaking “cold” airmass moved in here last weekend and dropped low temps and dewpoints into the 60s for 2 days, which smashed all time records previously set in 1983.

Funny how different the standards for “dry” air are here. Back in DC we can see dewpoints in the 50s for brief stretches of time in the summer, but down here a dewpoint of 64°F is historically low.

• Rain 1

20 minutes ago, Phil said:

I’m on vacation and have been posting. Easy to lay on a chase lounge and s**tpost if you have WiFi and nothing better to do.

We don’t do many activities on our vacations. The best way to recharge your batteries is to do as little as possible.

Yeah I don’t get people that have every second of a vacation planned out with activities…I want to do as little as possible and just wing it each day. Even my mini trip over to help out my relative do a few things around his place last week, didn’t have the rest of the family but took the jetski to play on the Columbia, was out for hours and probably traveled about 50 miles so the next day I lounged around the house all day and basically did nothing. Both things were super fun! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

The dewpoint reached 85°F a few days into our trip and it was certainly a test of faith for several hours. Ironically, everyone caved and headed indoors except me and my gf, which you wouldn’t suspect given my attitude on here. 😂

Thankfully the sea breeze kicked in shortly afterwards and we were down to 88/77 by 3pm, which was much more tolerable.

That afternoon sea breeze is such a saving grace, kicks in midday to early afternoon and blows 20-25mph. This place would be unlivable without it.

Have also had some insane lightning storms this trip. Yesterday afternoon there was another barrage of super close CG bolts, the kind of stuff that instantly sends you into the downward dog position and leaves your ears ringing for hours afterwards. I love it but man it’s nerve wracking. 

• Like 2
  • Windy 1

5 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Yeah I don’t get people that have every second of a vacation planned out with activities…I want to do as little as possible and just wing it each day. Even my mini trip over to help out my relative do a few things around his place last week, didn’t have the rest of the family but took the jetski to play on the Columbia, was out for hours and probably traveled about 50 miles so the next day I lounged around the house all day and basically did nothing. Both things were super fun! 

Thank you. Maybe we’re more similar than I realized, haha.

• Excited 1

14 hours ago, Doiinko said:

Interestingly August 1968 was very wet in the PNW

Yeah and also very cool, especially in Eastern WA/OR. Nevada had the coldest anomalies that month. August 1983 and 1984 were also on the average to cooler side west of the Cascades. Nothing like this month which will be warmer than normal.

1DP_ymu85F.png.c38d73584c610770f71a8da26ef8e5b6.png

EDQ3BldKrz.png.c45dfbd285e8453f5d9cfa17b9e12ad5.png

YZhLESHpKe.png.e97ea466f6065b0a1d3976796aea3d0d.png

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MossMan said:

I like to be more physically active but tend to be averse to lots of advance planning. The latter just sets one up for failure when the unplanned happens (or, less dramatically, suboptimal use of vacation time when one discovers a more attractive activity to do that one was unaware of in advance).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

Yeah and also very cool, especially in Eastern WA/OR. Nevada had the coldest anomalies that month. August 1983 and 1984 were also on the average to cooler side west of the Cascades. Nothing like this month which will be warmer than normal.

1DP_ymu85F.png.c38d73584c610770f71a8da26ef8e5b6.png

EDQ3BldKrz.png.c45dfbd285e8453f5d9cfa17b9e12ad5.png

YZhLESHpKe.png.e97ea466f6065b0a1d3976796aea3d0d.png

Cool data bit is there were 13 days with measurable precipitation at Yreka in August 1968. Almost half of the days in the month.

Nowadays even getting to one (or for that matter, getting a high below 90) is an accomplishment for there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phishy Wx said:

Try Banner Elk, NC. over 4000' up or better yet Beech Mountain NC at 5500' the highest incorporated place east of the mississippi 

Only problem at that altitude is the raging NW winds during the winter. Anywhere along and on the lee side of the ridges sees numerous bouts of hurricane force winds due to pressure packing and mountain waves downstream from the terrain.

Blows all the snow away and is a fire hazard as well.

12Z GFS... no significant cool down.    Even Friday is much warmer on this run.    Obviously the GFS runs warm... but its 11 degrees warmer for that day compared to its 06Z run.  

gfs-deterministic-KSEA-daily_tmin_tmax-0737600.jpg

• Excited 2
  • Sad 2
  • scream 1
  • Sick 2

46 minutes ago, Phil said:

The humidity here is bonkers. Definitely worse than Tampa/Sarasota FL (where we were the previous week). Been coming down here every August for 26 years, and I’ve never experienced humidity this bad, not even in New Orleans. Has something to do with the marshlands surrounding the island, I think.

However, a record breaking “cold” airmass moved in here last weekend and dropped low temps and dewpoints into the 60s for 2 days, which smashed all time records previously set in 1983.

Funny how different the standards for “dry” air are here. Back in DC we can see dewpoints in the 50s for brief stretches of time in the summer, but down here a dewpoint of 64°F is historically low.

That cold front was glorious.  My cousin's husband was the first to go outside Saturday morning, and he came back in side and urged us all to get outside and enjoy the cool "dry" air LOL

• Excited 1

14 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Unless you're talking about lounging around the bank, it's chaise. 🙂

I’ve always wanted one whose canvas was in a Canada goose motif. I once looked high and low for such a thing, only to conclude it was a wild goose chaise.

• Thanks 1
  • Sick 1

14 hours ago, JBolin said:

It's not all it's cracked up to be, it's essentially a ticket for reckless driving.

But whatever goats your float buddy.

If anyone ever gets a hot dog /weenie emoji from me it's because my six year old finds them hilarious and everytime I'm using the laptop version rather than mobile, he always wants to weenie every post. 

• Like 2
  • Excited 1
  • lol 2
  • Weenie 3

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)