August 2022 PNW Observations and Discussion - 1956 Redux!1!!1!

1 minute ago, Timmy Supercell said:

It does feel a bit weird to have moved to a warmer climate, and its rather mild where I am for being middle of August.

Sorry to stick you guys with a third straight hot summer in a row.

It’s been gorgeous. Thank you. 

• Like 2
  • lol 1
  • Angry 1
  • Snow 1
  • Downvote 4

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

1 minute ago, Deweydog said:

It’s been gorgeous. Thank you. 

Definitely great summers for leaving your air conditioned home office in your central air conditioned house, and driving in a car with AC and cooled seats to an air conditioned In-N-Out burger for dinner. Oh and maybe going to the coast once.

For people who actually go outside of the AC bubble it’s been pretty shitty, though. ;)

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Weenie 2

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

14 minutes ago, Timmy Supercell said:

It does feel a bit weird to have moved to a warmer climate, and its rather mild where I am for being middle of August.

Sorry to stick you guys with a third straight hot summer in a row.

How's the humidity out there? Have you adjusted to it yet? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Definitely great summers for leaving your air conditioned home office in your central air conditioned house, and driving in a car with AC and cooled seats to an air conditioned In-N-Out burger for dinner. Oh and maybe going to the coast once.

For people who actually go outside of the AC bubble it’s been pretty shitty, though. ;)

Hearing some pretty credible rumors about In and Out going in (and out) on 139th just west of the big road. Great news for burger and UHI enthusiasts!

• Like 3
  • Excited 1
  • Sick 1

3 minutes ago, AlTahoe said:

How's the humidity out there? Have you adjusted to it yet? 

Yup its not bad, though from talking to others who don't have AC even long time locals can't adjust.

Since June we haven't really had a heatwave by definition. The humidity at certain temperatures is less noticable. When the highs are 80 or under you don't really notice that.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

2 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Hearing some pretty credible rumors about In and Out going in (and out) on 139th just west of the big road. Great news for burger and UHI enthusiasts!

There were folks in K-Falls rooting for a In-and-Out to move there, I'm hoping its not a hyped up place not much different than Sonic. I thought we did alright with a Wendy's less than a mile from my house I could walk to.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

3/26, 

1 minute ago, Timmy Supercell said:

There were folks in K-Falls rooting for a In-and-Out to move there, I'm hoping its not a hyped up place not much different than Sonic. I thought we did alright with a Wendy's less than a mile from my house I could walk to.

It’s the definition of a hyped up place.

• Weenie 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

20 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Been outside most every day.  Quite lovely up here overall as others have said.   Could have done without a few days at the end of July though.  

Don't need a record hot summer to be happy... but even a really warm summer is not too bad in the Seattle area.   Particularly considering that 12 days of 90 degrees is the all time record.   

I just hope something less than a record cold and wet spring will suffice for you.  It's very unlikely we will see a spring like this year again any time soon.  But a summer like this year is becoming the norm.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

8 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Been outside most every day.  Quite lovely up here overall as others have said.   Could have done without a few days at the end of July though.  

Don't need a record hot summer to be happy... but even a really warm summer is not too bad in the Seattle area.   Particularly considering that 12 days of 90 degrees is the all time record.   

I just hope something less than a record cold and wet spring will suffice for you.  It's very unlikely we will see a spring like this year again any time soon.  But a summer like this year is becoming the norm.

The nice, wet spring has made this summer even more enjoyable. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

If something from last year repeats, maybe another temperate Fall season. I enjoyed the first wet October since 2016 before leaving southern Oregon. Pretty sure 9/1 > 11/30 came out around normal there on Mean temperature.

• Confused 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

3/26, 

Of course that was a 90 day averaged Mean. The first week of September can do what it wants. 

(in reply to the confused react LOL).

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

3/26, 

22 hours ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Real talk time though. Did anyone see this coming for the summer? Even during the massive heatwave at the end of last month, some were pointing to it as a good sign for a cooler late summer. That clearly isn’t happening. WTF is going on. Any alphabet soup, Phil? 

On 4/9/2022 at 11:57 AM, James Jones said:

Given the drought the West is facing it wouldn't surprise me if we had another Dust Bowl type summer out this way. 

Predicting a hot summer these days is about as difficult as predicting a predominately cloudy December. Best to expect it to be hot until the atmosphere proves otherwise.

• Like 2
  • scream 1

2 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

If you’re a person that throws up a lot I can see why you’d be particularly sensitive to the heat…

I’m kind of a never-puker so it isn’t such a big deal.

You have no idea. I literally threw up in the heat yesterday. 

• Sick 2

3 minutes ago, James Jones said:

Predicting a hot summer these days is about as difficult as predicting a predominately cloudy December. Best to expect it to be hot until the atmosphere proves otherwise.

A strong Nino might help in the long run.   Need something to break the endless drought in the SW.   But everyone just wants to cheer for Ninas.    The last 3 Nina summers have not been Nina-like at all... might as well cheer for a Nino.   

• Storm 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

41 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Fortunately, those of you in the PNW lowlands have both the ocean and mountains nearby to flee to for natural AC.

Can't be said for 90%+ of the US population.

• Like 1
  • Troll 1

A forum for the end of the world.

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

A strong Nino might help in the long run.   Need something to break the endless drought in the SW.   But everyone just wants to cheer for Ninas.    The last 3 Nina summers have not been Nina-like at all... might as well cheer for a Nino.   

image.gif

• Like 2
  • Excited 1
  • lol 1

6 minutes ago, James Jones said:

I'm going to predict a hot summer next year. :) 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I feel bad about even complaining about hot weather considering we only get 10-15 hot days a year here compared to down south that’s nothing. I think summers like 2015, 2017, 2018, 2021 and this year will become more common but we will probably still get some “cooler” ones mixed in. 

• Like 1
  • Storm 1

It was 99 here at 2pm when I last checked. Afternoon temps are usually a bit more reliable because the sun angles in the summer seem to have my temps running warmer in the summer during the early to mid morning range. There's also a wildfire up near Spokane close to 195. I hope everyone up there is safe.

• Like 1

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

Noticed a 96 occurred yesterday at KLMT. +2 from the same date in 2016. Though the brunt of that wave was a couple days later (8/18-20).

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

3/26, 

6 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

I feel bad about even complaining about hot weather considering we only get 10-15 hot days a year here compared to down south that’s nothing. I think summers like 2015, 2017, 2018, 2021 and this year will become more common but we will probably still get some “cooler” ones mixed in. 

Of course, it's not over yet but I'd say 2015 was a whole different animal compared to this summer.

At OLM, June 2015 was about 6.5 degrees warmer than June 2022. July was 1.5 degrees warmer in 2015. August might be comparable.

• Weenie 1

I wear weenie reacts like a badge, proud and tall. I love every single one.

🌭 react this post and punch me in the face if you agree!

• lol 1
  • Weenie 3

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

Just now, Front Ranger said:

Of course, it's not over yet but I'd say 2015 was a whole different animal compared to this summer.

At OLM, June 2015 was about 6.5 degrees warmer than June 2022. July was 1.5 degrees warmer in 2015. August might be comparable.

Getting a 2015 vibe now... but this summer started later.    Maybe we will get a warm September as a bonus.    That did not happen in 2015.

WILDFIRE UPDATE (Fire Count Dropping Fast Edition)

Hot, dry, and warm weather will envelop the majority of the west with areas having increased wind gusts.  This will be a real test to our region's resiliency in wildfires this year. 

NEW Known Wildfires started today! 8/17/22  

Washington - 4 (4 new fires in the state.  All the fires sparked near Clarkston mentioned yesterday have all been put out. There are five large fires in the state. The total grows by one to 34.) Total: 34

Oregon - 3 (3 new fires in the state. There are three large fires in the state. Oregon has seen an impressive drop in fires this past week. The total decreases from 41 to 34.) Total: 34

Idaho - 1 (One new fires in the state.  There are now three large fires in the state, one down from yesterday. The total number fires remains at 26.) Total: 26

California - 27 (27 new fires in the state of California. Some of these new fires sparked near the large, but now mostly controlled blazes burning near the Oregon-CA border. There are now five large fires in the state. This year has been a very tame year for fires in California. Despite being a warmer year for much of the state, "Experts" predicted a horrible fire season.  This so far has not come true. The total drops from 57 to 50.) Total: 50

British Columbia - 20 (The smallest increase in new fires in the past week with only 20 new fires. There are five large fires in the province. The total amount of fires in the province see's a from 122 to 115.) Total: 115

Who Has had The Most Amount of Fires (Ranked by days in which they've had the most fires, only counting days we've kept track here.)

1. British Columbia - 23 days with the most wildfires

2. Oregon - 2 days with the most wildfires.

SMOKE UPDATE

Smoke is mostly aloft over the Pacific Northwest with no smoke over Washington's western half.  Only around Wenatchee is there some smoke from nearby fires and Spokane now.

Lewiston, Idaho is seeing trapped smoke from nearby blazes. The Boise metro is under smoke causing moderate quality.  The reason for this is the shift of California wildfire smoke once again.  

Air quality degraded further in California. All of Northern California is under moderate to hazardous air due to smoke.  Coastal areas are a mixes bag today with California smoke having been offshore now moving back inland. Smoke and haze is effecting the Inland Empire from Stockton to Bakersfield. The Bay area is mostly good air quality except for portions to the north such as Santa Rosa. Air quality is mostly good with a few moderate pockets in Southern California. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Oh yeah I’m not saying this was a 2015 year…this summer hasn’t been on that level. We’re a bit short of 2021 this year for now but that could change. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Last year was a better comparison to 2015, starting in June with colossal departures from normal and heatwaves continuing all July. August was only a +0.2 mean at KLMT, this one looks to lock horns with 2017. 

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

3/26, 

And another 90F burger!

81F433C6-2720-4EA9-9CA4-1B7877F69AE8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • Sun 1
  • Storm 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

5 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Getting a 2015 vibe now... but this summer started later.    Maybe we will get a warm September as a bonus.    That did not happen in 2015.

Yeah, if September is record warm then you'd be looking at a 3 month period similar to what 2015 saw. 

Of course, 2015 also saw a very warm and dry May, far different than this year. That warm season was just nuts until September.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1