August 2022 PNW Observations and Discussion - 1956 Redux!1!!1!

18 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Lots of virtue signaling.   In the end... we all just want nature to bend to our own personal will so we have what is important to us.   And nature doesn't care.  

Yeah like for instance I'd prefer your sentences to end with only one space after the period but we can't get that can we!

On one hand - of course the 2nd noble truth is that all suffering is caused by desire or attachment so of course trying to change things from the way they are is often folly, though I think with the environment that is certainly up for some level of discussion. Very likely it is largely out of our control other than blasting fireworks into the Gorge

On the other hand - nature also doesn't care if a member of my family dies does it? It's callous to tell people "well nature doesn't care" if they lost something very valuable to them, whether it's a wife or parent or their favorite hiking trail or a great memory they had as a kid. It's condescending and belittling behavior for little to no reason. This isn't The Road!

“He walked out in the gray light and stood and he saw for a brief moment the absolute truth of the world. The cold relentless circling of the intestate earth. Darkness implacable. The blind dogs of the sun in their running. The crushing black vacuum of the universe. And somewhere two hunted animals trembling like ground-foxes in their cover. Borrowed time and borrowed world and borrowed eyes with which to sorrow it.”

• Like 7

1 minute ago, OysterPrintout said:

Yeah like for instance I'd prefer your sentences to end with only one space after the period but we can't get that can we!

On one hand - of course the 2nd noble truth is that all suffering is caused by desire or attachment so of course trying to change things from the way they are is often folly, though I think with the environment that is certainly up for some level of discussion. Very likely it is largely out of our control other than blasting fireworks into the Gorge

On the other hand - nature also doesn't care if a member of my family dies does it? It's callous to tell people "well nature doesn't care" if they lost something very valuable to them, whether it's a wife or parent or their favorite hiking trail or a great memory they had as a kid. It's condescending and belittling behavior for little to no reason. This isn't The Road!

“He walked out in the gray light and stood and he saw for a brief moment the absolute truth of the world. The cold relentless circling of the intestate earth. Darkness implacable. The blind dogs of the sun in their running. The crushing black vacuum of the universe. And somewhere two hunted animals trembling like ground-foxes in their cover. Borrowed time and borrowed world and borrowed eyes with which to sorrow it.”

I understand loss... its inherent to the human condition.  My issue is that a certain person starts talking about his loss by mocking other people.   

• Downvote 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

I understand loss... its inherent to the human condition.  My issue is that a certain person starts talking about his loss by mocking other people.   

Understanding I don't have a staff tag if that is the case wouldn't it be smart to take this slap fest to DM or put a user on ignore rather than this sort of embarrassing public tête-à-tête and I'm quite sure I am the very first person to ever suggest this am I right? What do I win??!

• Like 6
  • Weenie 1

Just now, OysterPrintout said:

Understanding I don't have a staff tag if that is the case wouldn't it be smart to take this slap fest to DM or put a user on ignore rather than this sort of embarrassing public tête-à-tête and I'm quite sure I am the very first person to ever suggest this am I right? What do I win??!

I would love my posts to be completely ignored by certain individuals. Sounds like a dream come true. Just as I have ignored dozens of fight picking attempts this week alone. If the ignoring was truly mutual we really wouldn’t have a problem anymore.

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • Troll 2
  • Weenie 2

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

7 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

I don't think we need to make this personal, we all have different values and experiences. I think someone from up in the Puget Sound region is going to look at this differently at this point. They would probably feel somewhat immune to this, and they are not losing the places they have fond memories of. 

After September 2020 I will never be the same. It was by far the most traumatic experience I have ever had. You build your home and life, and then to have to literally run for your life, I can't even describe what that feels like. Being woken up by law enforcement yelling to flee, not being able to see anything because its pitch dark from smoke, not knowing where the fire is... It was terrifying. But we were lucky, our house ended up being fine, and the fire actually stopped a couple miles away. Many many people were less fortunate than us. We just had to leave our home for 8 days, with about half that time not knowing if we would have a home to go back to, but it could have been a lot worse. And you gain a new perspective from something like that, you feel for the people who didn't have a home to go back to, and you have a new sense of empathy towards people who lose their homes in fires in California, Texas, wherever, when you see it on the news it's no longer just an abstract. But you cannot expect people to haven't been through something like that to understand, there is no way they could, and that is fine, that is good, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. 

Matt isn’t from the Puget Sound region. As for the rest, I really feel for you dawg. Losing places you travel to and have fond memories of is one thing, having your very home and property threatened is a whole different level of horror that I would never want to experience.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Stop being a d*ck for once in your life. No one is saying forests shouldn’t ever burn. I if anyone understand the important role forest fire plays in ecosystems. I’ve spent years doing research on it. Fires have been in our forests for millennia. Doesn’t make the personal loss any easier, even if it all balances out in the cosmic scheme of things. The rate of favorite spots lost to fire in the last ten years alone has been pretty remarkable. To put yourself in my shoes try to picture a similarly tragic event like your favorite sports team not making the playoffs, or a rained out holiday weekend. Just because everything is meaningless in the grand scheme of things doesn’t mean you won’t get disappointed about it.

Nature is a *****. I just happen to think that loss and acceptance of natural law can run concurrently. There’s been a lot of references to climate divinity of late, so I think it’s important for some omnipotent perspective. Seems irrational to thank God for the rain but fail to acknowledge his responsibility for ruining these pristine wilderness areas which should remain locked in time.

It’s also not lost of some of us that these discussions only seem to swell when discussing cherry-picked aspects of nature’s wrath. Yes, the deck is somewhat stacked these days but it tends to undermine the melodrama.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • scream 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

2 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Nature is a *****. I just happen to think that loss and acceptance of natural law can run concurrently. There’s been a lot of references to climate divinity of late, so I think it’s important for some omnipotent perspective. Seems irrational to thank God for the rain but fail to acknowledge his responsibility for ruining these pristine wilderness areas which should remain locked in time.

It’s also not lost of some of us that these discussions only seem to swell when discussing cherry-picked aspects of nature’s wrath. Yes, the deck is somewhat stacked these days but it tends to undermine the melodrama.

Well said.  

• Troll 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, T-Town said:

In other news…. Things starting to bubble. 

12E90EC3-5E10-40D2-BD46-200650055C34.jpeg

23CF3434-D8C1-478F-85B6-1F4389851DE4.jpeg

My son is doing the Enchantments Trail today with his friends.   He is probably seeing the same thing.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

I’m not even sure what you are referring to here. The praying emojis? Anyway, thank you for once again implicitly underestimating my capacity for reasoned and nuanced thought. You are always good for that in a pinch.

• Popcorn 1
  • Weenie 1

42 minutes ago, OysterPrintout said:

Just give up. This place sucks. It’s dominated by some absolutely terrible personalities and no one will do anything about it. 

You are way too smart and reasonable to post here.

Edited by FroYoBro
  • Like 2
  • Excited 1
  • scream 1
  • Weenie 1

9 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

12Z ECMWF still showing some rain from Thursday - Saturday of next week... but farther north than the 00Z run.   

This is going to waffle quite a bit as it fights the ridge... too much details to focus on. We'll see where this ends up happening.. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TacomaWx said:

Up to 79 here at noon. Much warmer so far than yesterday. 

SEA is +2 compared to yesterday... which would put the high at 89.   But the wind is from the WSW now compared to N yesterday so it might not keep pace today.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, HoodCanalBridge said:

Looking south toward Mount Thielsen.  Beautiful day.  Clouds struggling to build out too high so far.

such a beautiful area!

B128E7B5-F497-4E78-A012-DB329569676D.jpeg

Looking forward to being down in that area on September 11th-13th. Hopefully it’s not too Smokey thank you for being down there helping fight the fires. 

• Like 1

I expect the runs over the next few days to be all over the place with that system. 

Yeah... definitely getting to the time of year when WPAC typhoons start wreaking havoc with the models.

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

SEA is +2 compared to yesterday... which would put the high at 89.   But the wind is from the WSW now compared to N yesterday so it might not keep pace today.

Yeah we had decent offshore winds off the sound at my house yesterday which kept us at a high of 83. Today could be about 5 degrees warmer with a SW wind instead of a NE one. 

1 hour ago, Doiinko said:

I didn't realize the N/S difference in Feb 2021, that was the snowiest February on record at Government Camp!

Yeah Feb 2021 was just boring standard weather. We ended up finishing above normal for the month.

• Weenie 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Yeah we had decent offshore winds off the sound at my house yesterday which kept us at a high of 83. Today could be about 5 degrees warmer with a SW wind instead of a NE one. 

Interesting... normally a N wind at SEA is the best for maximizing warmth.    Makes sense that it would not be the same in your area since a N wind has an over-water trajectory there.  

56 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

I don't think we need to make this personal, we all have different values and experiences. I think someone from up in the Puget Sound region is going to look at this differently at this point. They would probably feel somewhat immune to this, and they are not losing the places they have fond memories of. 

After September 2020 I will never be the same. It was by far the most traumatic experience I have ever had. You build your home and life, and then to have to literally run for your life, I can't even describe what that feels like. Being woken up by law enforcement yelling to flee, not being able to see anything because its pitch dark from smoke, not knowing where the fire is... It was terrifying. But we were lucky, our house ended up being fine, and the fire actually stopped a couple miles away. Many many people were less fortunate than us. We just had to leave our home for 8 days, with about half that time not knowing if we would have a home to go back to, but it could have been a lot worse. And you gain a new perspective from something like that, you feel for the people who didn't have a home to go back to, and you have a new sense of empathy towards people who lose their homes in fires in California, Texas, wherever, when you see it on the news it's no longer just an abstract. But you cannot expect people to haven't been through something like that to understand, there is no way they could, and that is fine, that is good, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. 

It was scary AF. The cops and firefighters all driving up and down our streets looking out for possible debris still on fire raining into the city with ash falling and having our bags packed and ready to leave. Having to wear a fuckkin’ gas mask inside the house. I hope we never have anything like that again.

• Sad 3

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

25 minutes ago, FroYoBro said:

Just give up. This place sucks. It’s dominated by some absolutely terrible personalities and no one will do anything about it.

You are way too smart and reasonable to post here.

This forum is famous on the Canadian forum for being high-drama. But there’s lots of good analyses posted here, and I’ve been here for a number of years, so it’s worth sticking around. I just try not to feed and exacerbate the drama. Sometimes I succeed better than others.

• Like 4
It's called clown range for a reason.

7 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

This forum is famous on the Canadian forum for being high-drama. But there’s lots of good analyses posted here, and I’ve been here for a number of years, so it’s worth sticking around. I just try not to feed and exacerbate the drama. Sometimes I succeed better than others.

I'm a frequent lurker on that forum. Too bad it's not more active tbh. 

11 minutes ago, Cloud said:

I'm a frequent lurker on that forum. Too bad it's not more active tbh. 

It’s all a matter of population. Oregon has a population of 4.2 million. Washington has a population of 7.9 million. 12.1 million total. Meanwhile, BC’s population is 4.7 million, less than half of the US part of the PNW.

(And a little over half of that 4.7 million lives here in the greater Vancouver metro area. Given that BC is bigger than Texas, that means most of the rest of the province is very sparsely-populated. All that wilderness is one of the things I love about Canada.)

• Like 5
It's called clown range for a reason.

3 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

It’s all a matter of population. Oregon has a population of 4.2 million. Washington has a population of 7.9 million. 12.1 million total. Meanwhile, BC’s population is 4.7 million, less than half of the US part of the PNW.

(And a little over half of that 4.7 million lives here in the greater Vancouver metro area. Given that BC is bigger than Texas, that means the rest of the province is very sparsely-populated. All that wilderness is one of the things I love about Canada.)

This sub-forum (PNW) activities are by in large dominated by only a handful of people. And unfortunately, when they don't post or slings mud at each other, it's quite dead. I'm not really complaining, active is year round is good. 🤣

21 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Aren't Canadians known for being low drama? Have you found that perception to be true?

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Not really relevant to the current discussion but I was wondering if anyone knew if the reading of 23 degrees on 4/13/1968 at the Bethany COOP site was legitimate or not. If it was legitimate then a temp that cold in mid April is really impressive but I'm not sure if it was because usually this area is pretty bad for cold low temps. On that day Hillsboro dropped to 26, PDX dropped to 30, Salem dropped to 23 and Vancouver hit 24 so I'm thinking it might be legitimate. I've noticed that this area can struggle to lose the wind and Hillsboro which is usually colder was warmer that night
Here's the approximate location of where the reading was taken:
image.png.4e6bb4307cd8f3186902dfcee600ef45.png

• Like 1

Just watching Michael Snyder's video for today and a comment caught my eye....Someone said that elk have started moving through their area, and the first fall storm is usually soon to follow when they show up....

Interesting observation....

• Like 6
  • Excited 3

1 minute ago, Cloud said:

This sub-forum (PNW) activities are by in large dominated by only a handful of people. And unfortunately, when they don't post or slings mud at each other, it's quite dead. I'm not really complaining, active is year round is good. 🤣

Introspective moment here... As I said last week on my return from suspension, I can definitely do better, and that probably goes for others though I will not speak for anyone else or single anyone else out. Just a general statement. 

Sometimes when I go back through the archives and see some of my posts from years and years ago, I am surprised and disappointed in myself to see how condescending, argumentative, and cynical I am now compared to then. It's not the person I see myself as, or how I want others to see me, but if people do it's all on me at this point, and the burden of proof otherwise is on myself as well. 

• Like 9

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.