August 2022 PNW Observations and Discussion - 1956 Redux!1!!1!

1 minute ago, hawkstwelve said:

You may technically fall within the EPSL (barely, based on the below screenshot and your previous pic) but your observed weather, especially during the winter, aligns much more closely with the western Cascade Range than it does with the remaining locales in the EPSL. Not much to debate about that.

Screenshot_20220825-171637_Vivaldi Browser.jpg

For sure in the EPSL and technically part of the valley here.   And obviously it's close because there is a mountain right next to us... and you go into the mountains immediately to the east of NB on I-90.   The mountains around us are responsible for the increased rainfall and the gap in the mountains is part of the reason for the increased snowfall because it allows for frequent east wind here.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

17 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Skykomish lies in a river valley too but it's still a part of the Cascades Range's overall domain (and weatherwise is still heavily influenced by the surrounding orographic factors).  The same is true of places like Oakridge, Stevenson, Darrington, and Hope. All of which lie in steep river valleys well within the Cascade Range's domain. 

Point being that one would simply make an obvious distinction between your locale and the lowlands that are lying entirely west of the Cascades. 

There is a world of difference between Skykomish and North Bend.    Skykomish is basically cut off by mountains in all directions... including to the west.     This area is much more open to the west and southwest flow.    That is why our snow has nowhere remotely close to the staying power that it has in Skykomish.     The Cascades start just to the east here.    In Skykomish... the Cascades start to the west.     Huge difference.

Skykomish marked on the map and my area circled...

sky.png

• Excited 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

7 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

There is a world of difference between Skykomish and North Bend.    Skykomish is basically cut off by mountains in all directions... including to the west.     This area is much more open to the west and southwest flow.    That is why our snow has nowhere remotely close to the staying power that it has in Skykomish.     The Cascades start just to the east here.    In Skykomish... the Cascades start to the west.     Huge difference.

Skykomish marked on the map and my area circled...

sky.png

Yes, like I said you are the far western reach of the Range. West of Skykomish but longitudinally actually about the same as Mt. Rainier.  Your very neighborhood lies on a fairly heavy incline, correct? 500+ feet above the valley to your west? (North Bend which is only roughly 400 feet ASL). 

4 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Yes, like I said you are the far western reach of the Range. West of Skykomish but longitudinally actually about the same as Mt. Rainier.  Your very neighborhood lies on a fairly heavy incline, correct? 500+ feet above the valley to your west? (North Bend which is only roughly 400 feet ASL). 

I just looked up every town you listed and all of them are much farther east than North Bend and well within the Cascade Range domain.   No comparison to North Bend.

My area is an elevated plateau in the Snoqualmie Valley... about 300-500 feet higher than the valley floor which is the same elevation as SEA.    

Mt Rainier is east longitudinally as well... but the Cascades do jut out to the west farther south in SW WA.

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

I just looked up every town you listed and all of them are much farther east than North Bend and well within the Cascade Range domain.   No comparison to North Bend.

My area is an elevated plateau in the Snoqualmie Valley... about 300-500 feet higher than the valley floor which is the same elevation as SEA.   

If your neighborhood is actually on an incline (it is, correct?) then by definition it is not a plateau. Seems like you're in the upward sloping portion of the valley where it effectively becomes encompassed by the Cascades.

No biggie! 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

If your neighborhood is actually on an incline (it is, correct?) then by definition it is not a plateau. Seems like you're in the upward sloping portion of the valley where it effectively becomes encompassed by the Cascades.

No biggie! 

It is a plateau up here.   There is a short hill between here and NB.    The neighborhood to my east has about 700 homes and that neighborhood is at the same elevation as my house and that entire area is basically flat.    

You can literally see the plateau with that entire neighborhood in this picture.   There is no incline across that area.   And in fact it goes down a little as you head east.   

nb 8017.png

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

It is a plateau up here.   There is a short hill between here and NB.    The neighborhood to my east has about 700 homes and that neighborhood is at the same elevation as my house and that entire area is basically flat.    

You can literally see the plateau with that entire neighborhood in this picture.   There is no incline across that area.

nb 8017.png

Interesting, that is also commonly known as a "foothill". In this case, a Cascade Range foothill which could be considered a part of the Range's overall domain but also be considered a transitional zone. But again, still clearly distinct from the lowlands to the west. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Interesting, that is also commonly known as a "foothill". In this case, a Cascade Range foothill which could be considered a part of the Range's overall domain but also be considered a transitional zone. But again, still clearly distinct from the lowlands to the west. 

But it is significantly different than any of those towns you mentioned which are buried pretty deep in the Cascades.    This area is definitely part of the EPSL and the Snoqualmie Valley.    And anyone who has ever been to North Bend knows that the Cascades start just east of town.    

Just now, Deweydog said:

Sitting here hoping desperately that Tim’s wife’s gait gets worked into this.

I am just hoping to finally dispel Phil's notion that I live at 12,000 feet... near the top of Mt. Rainier.   👍

• scream 1
  • Troll 1

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

But it is significantly different than any of those towns you mentioned which are buried pretty deep in the Cascades.    This area is definitely part of the EPSL and the Snoqualmie Valley.    And anyone who has ever been to North Bend knows that the Cascades start just east of town.    

The foothills are also significantly different from any of the westward towns buried deep within the lowlands. I think anyone who has ever been to the foothills knows that they are in fact very distinct from the lowlands. 

Glad we settled that!!!!!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

The foothills are also significantly different from any of the westward towns buried deep within the lowlands. I think anyone who has ever been to the foothills knows that they are in fact very distinct from the lowlands. 

Glad we settled that!!!!!

Well the original discussion started because I mentioned that the GFS output for SEA this summer might have been too warm for SEA but just about perfect out here in the EPSL.    Which is still true!    In fact... North Bend might be one of the warmest spots within the EPSL this summer.   😃

• Troll 1

14 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

86 here…we’re not gonna hit 90 today it looks like. SEA might though. 

SEA won’t. Inter-hour obs appears for it to be locked in on a persistent stay for the last hour or two. Need a wind shift somewhere for it to change. We’re looking at a 2F rise during the time of the day when it should start to cool down now for it to hit 90. 

18 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Well the original discussion started because I mentioned that the GFS output for SEA this summer might have been too warm for SEA but just about perfect out here in the EPSL.    Which is still true!    In fact... North Bend might be one of the warmest spots within the EPSL this summer.   😃

As are Pasco, Boulder, Ft. Worth, and Dubai!! ("lowlands" that are east of the Puget Sound!)

😃

• Troll 1

53 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

You can literally see the plateau with that entire neighborhood in this picture.   There is no incline across that area.   And in fact it goes down a little as you head east.   

nb 8017.png

I can see where the valley is there. You’re on an incline.

• Popcorn 2

3 hours ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Just watching Michael Snyder's video for today and a comment caught my eye....Someone said that elk have started moving through their area, and the first fall storm is usually soon to follow when they show up....

Interesting observation....

Animals forecast weather sometimes better than humans

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1

14 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Also if you look at the hourly obs. It was 87.1 at the 4pm update. It’s a hard hard climb to 90 this time of day. 

368BC0A9-DE2E-40B2-B5B6-E954A3EC9E23.png

And the GFS had 95°F. Lmaoooo.

Tim probably has a couple dozen space heaters around his backyard and the GFS still busted warm there.

• lol 1

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

I can see where the valley is there. You’re on an incline.

😀

It's a flat plateau up here.   Don't argue stupidly.   You are just trying to drag it out.  

• Popcorn 1

2 hours ago, Kayla said:

Severe warned storm just missed me to my north yesterday. Airport got slammed with over an inch of rain and a 62mph wind gust.

Things are already popping today, should make for another exciting night!

A2614C92-A85F-42D4-A807-88FE43032131.jpeg

Wavy! Nice one. ⛈️

• Like 2

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Just now, TT-SEA said:

😀

It's a flat plateau up here.   Don't argue stupidly.   You are just trying to drag it out.  

War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. Foothills are lowland prairies.

• Popcorn 1
  • Troll 1

Looks like we're gonna top out at 94F.

• Like 1
  • Sun 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope