August 2022 PNW Observations and Discussion - 1956 Redux!1!!1!

30 minutes ago, Doiinko said:

I checked some different months at BFI vs SEA and it's interesting to see the difference in snowfall in months like January 1950 for example probably somewhat due to elevation. BFI saw 7.8" of snow on 1/13/1950 while SEA saw 20". I guess SEA being farther south might've helped too but even at the end of the month as well they recorded way more.

It's a pretty significant elevation difference. SEA is 430' up while BFI is 20'.

In Portland area terms that would be like comparing central Beaverton to the zoo. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

It's a pretty significant elevation difference. SEA is 430' up while BFI is 20'.

In Portland area terms that would be like comparing central Beaverton to the zoo. 

That month would've been amazing to experience in any place here!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

So does 89.6 mean it will end up officially at 90 for a high today?

10 minutes ago, ChrisAmunRA said:

I'd think so rounding that up

It did got rounded up to 90. Which is also the reason why a few resources I used to get official data is kinda quiet right now for the number. 

i am assuming the 89 will stick though. 

1 minute ago, Cloud said:

It did got rounded up to 90. Which is also the reason why a few resources I used to get official data is kinda quiet right now for the number. 

i am assuming the 89 will stick though. 

Many will loose sleep tonight because of this 😱

Not me……missing out on what Kayla is enjoying will 😂

• lol 3

17 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

10 minutes ago, Doiinko said:

That month would've been amazing to experience in any place here!

Just for fun…. BFI is so low at the adjacent I-5 is above it, you can drive by and look down at the entire airport. Then you have my location off of exit 161 and I sit about 250’ ASL, above both of these. 

A bit of elevation also made a big difference so I’m also a degree or 2 cooler in the wintertime too compared to sea level. 

All of this is within 1-1.5 mile distance. 😂 

• Like 3

There was a massive explosion in Everett.  Searching through local news outlets, first responder Twitter pages, nothing yet.  Anyone have any idea what happened?  Black billowing smoke coming from the city.

2022-08-25 19.10.24.jpg

EDIT: Cedar Grove compost is currently on fire.  That is the cause.

• Storm 1
  • scream 3

4 minutes ago, NWbyNW said:

There was a massive explosion in Everett.  Searching through local news outlets, first responder Twitter pages, nothing yet.  Anyone have any idea what happened?  Black billowing smoke coming from the city.

2022-08-25 19.10.24.jpg

Says it’s compost fire.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Marine layer is creeping in land and down the strait. 

Pretty cool stuff. 

CODNEXLAB-GOES-West-regional-w_northwest-02-02_06Z-20220826_map_-44-1n-10-100.gif

Coming in fast towards Olympia... SEA will probably struggle to reach 70 tomorrow.   Saturday will likely be warmer with better mixing as the ULL passes through.    Its that first day of a marine push that always ends up being way cooler than any guidance shows.

• Like 4

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

4 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Just passed our local bear.   This dude is strange... no fear of humans.   They said he is a juvenile.    I laid on the horn to see if I could scare him and he actually came towards the car to investigate.    Seems curious but not aggressive... but probably not a good situation. 

20220825_181749.jpg

Probably not a good idea to pet him.

• Like 1
  • Troll 2

Oh no... 

89335FB8-F4BD-46F1-B1C0-41E776B5A33E.png

• Sad 1
  • scream 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

00Z NAM shows marine layer clouds locked in all day with no breaks even late in the afternoon.    Might well be the first sub 70 day of the month at SEA.    

nam-218-all-nw-total_cloud-1558400.png

• Like 2
  • Snow 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

21 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Just passed our local bear.   This dude is strange... no fear of humans.   They said he is a juvenile.    I laid on the horn to see if I could scare him and he actually came towards the car to investigate.    Seems curious but not aggressive... but probably not a good situation. 

20220825_181749.jpg

What does Farmers Almanac say about things like this? 

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

ECMWF projection: 88°F

GFS projection: 95°F

Actual high: 89°F.

#LolGoofus

Yesterday the ECMWF showed 82 and the GFS showed 88 and the actual high at SEA was 87.     #eurocoldbias

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

Yesterday the ECMWF showed 82 and the GFS showed 88 and the actual high at SEA was 87.     #eurocoldbias

GFS is demonstrably worse.

Going to keep close tabs on this now. Will report back daily!

• Like 1
  • lol 1

1 minute ago, Phil said:

GFS is demonstrably worse.

Going to keep close tabs on this now. Will report back daily!

ECMWF is almost always too cold.   Tomorrow and Saturday might be the exception.   I think all the models are too warm for those days.  

But next week... the GFS output for SEA will be what actually happens out here.   👍

• Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, Cloud said:

It’s slower to cool down here. Still hanging onto 76. 72 SEA. 64 OLM. 

Dang SEA cools as fast as lightning. From 89 to 72 in a few hours is legit.

Meanwhile DCA high was 90 and it’s still plateaued at 80 as of midnight. 🤮 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

Just now, Phil said:

Dang SEA cools as fast as lightning. From 89 to 72 in a few hours.

Wish that was possible here. DCA high was 90 and it’s still plateaued at 80 as of midnight. 🤮 

I wonder if the dewpoint is higher there?   Do you have more humidity that western WA?   I will have to look it up.   

5 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

But next week... the GFS output for SEA will be what actually happens out here.   👍

By next week your summer will have a few days left to run.

You are a blessed man.

• Like 1
  • lol 1