August 2022 PNW Observations and Discussion - 1956 Redux!1!!1!

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

It probably won't be wall to wall hot either.    The ECMWF showed cooler days on Friday and then on Labor Day with highs barely into the mid 70s in Seattle with weak systems passing through to the north.  

Oh, sure. No disagreement there. It’s just a recurring issue with Jim; he has difficulty separating what he wants to happen from what all evidence indicates is most likely to happen.

• Like 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

7 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Actually, not really. This has already been hashed to death. Hunga Tonga was a very unusual volcanic eruption. Lots of water vapor, virtually no sulphur. Most models indicate it should cause warming, not cooling, at the surface. Though since it is such an unusual eruption, we are essentially in uncharted territory here.

I was going to mention the same thing.    Its almost entirely water vapor.    We don't know yet how that will effect surface temps... but there is almost no SO2 involved to offset anything.

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

With a high of 70 at SEA yesterday... it is likely that August will finish with no high temp below 70.    I believe that is pretty rare.   Even in the last 10 years of warmer than normal summers it has only happened once (in 2017).

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

5 hours ago, The Blob said:

If September is warm, it'll be great for our vegetable gardens.

Yea.  We were so late getting our garden in this year that the tomatoes are just starting to ripen. 

On the other hand We just went to drought level 3 here and there have been some fish strandings in rivers on Vancouver Island as the water levels drop.  

3 hours ago, Omegaraptor said:

I hiked the Trail of Ten Falls with Andrew yesterday. He’s a great guy in person.

Good times. Thanks for coming down, I enjoyed hiking it with you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Just now, TacomaWx said:

It’s crazy how the top 7 have all happened in the last 13 years…and quite a few of those just in the last 5. 

This summer should also end up with warmest avg min temp on record. Obviously some of that is UHI but maybe the humidity has been higher during our heat waves keeping min temps up.

Dropped to 51 blissful degrees here this morning!  Even SEA managed to drop to 53.  Feels great!

• Like 5

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

8 minutes ago, Doiinko said:

This summer should also end up with warmest avg min temp on record. Obviously some of that is UHI but maybe the humidity has been higher during our heat waves keeping min temps up.

For sure.  The mins have been ridiculous.  High humidity is almost certainly to blame since many of the nights have been clear.  So many times we have tapped into the monsoon moisture from the SW US, but with little in the way of actual cloudiness.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

12Z GFS shows a spectacular holiday weekend... cautiously optimistic that those AR-type solutions were wrong.    Highs in the low to mid 80s and sun sounds perfect for lake activities.    👍

• Like 2

Very refreshing morning. Unfortunately it will not last, but within 2-3 weeks it should become the norm! Can't wait. 

• Like 4

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

11 minutes ago, Doiinko said:

The 64.1 average from 7/25 to 8/25 is a pretty staggering and unprecedented stretch. As you said, UHI is a factor but the monsoonal component, albeit with pretty weak, to the pattern was a substantial factor.

• Like 3

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

35 minutes ago, skywatcher said:

I'm utterly enjoying the fall teaser this morning. Hit 51° this morning with a thin layer of dew on the grass. Really nice weather

Please share. I need some of that.

Low level marine overcast here today and we’re still pushing 90°F at noontime. F**king stupid.

• Storm 1
  • Sick 4

3 hours ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Actually, not really. This has already been hashed to death. Hunga Tonga was a very unusual volcanic eruption. Lots of water vapor, virtually no sulphur. Most models indicate it should cause warming, not cooling, at the surface. Though since it is such an unusual eruption, we are essentially in uncharted territory here.

As I said....no sign of any change from it yet.  People need to be very careful of making presumptions with something that has little precedence in the period of record.

https://psl.noaa.gov/data/correlation/gmsst.data

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

18 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Very refreshing morning. Unfortunately it will not last, but within 2-3 weeks it should become the norm! Can't wait. 

Yup.  One thing we know is the general pattern we have been in will end.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

3 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Yup.  One thing we know is the general pattern we have been in will end.

It can stay generally ridgy well into the fall... particularly in Nina years.    

41 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

It’s crazy how the top 7 have all happened in the last 13 years…and quite a few of those just in the last 5. 

The thing is...with this there's a smoking gun (the 4CH being so dominant), with the January curse there really isn't.  We have had plenty of cold Decembers and cold Februarys, but January has been a torch.  Still trying to wrap my head around that one.  Maybe it's just bad luck, but that seems so hard to imagine given how long it's been going on.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

11 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

As I said....no sign of any change from it yet.  People need to be very careful of making presumptions with something that has little precedence in the period of record.

https://psl.noaa.gov/data/correlation/gmsst.data

The effect on tropospheric temperatures may be negligible/statistically insignificant (given La Niña in particular). Also the fact the excess H2O is confined to the stratosphere makes it a bit more difficult to determine the radiative forcing at the surface/below the altitude of the greybody emission temperature.

What is more certain is the stratosphere will radiatively cool in bulk. The amplitude/spatial structure and chemical effects of said cooling may affect the PV/BDC structure/intensity, thus the annular mode(s), tropical convection, cloud cover, general circulation, and wind speeds, all of which will affect the planetary heat budget.

Anyone making definitive statements now should be ignored.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

It can stay generally ridgy well into the fall... particularly in Nina years.    

Very true.  I would just love to see the ridge move west and put us in NW flow.  Hopefully it will make that move and not go into a crappy WSW flow pattern when it ends.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, Phil said:

The effect on tropospheric temperatures may be negligible/statistically insignificant (given La Niña in particular). Also the fact the excess H2O is confined to the stratosphere makes it a bit more difficult to determine the radiative forcing at the surface/below the altitude of the greybody emission temperature.

What is more certain is the stratosphere will radiatively cool in bulk. The latitude and chemical effects of said cooling may affect the PV/BDC structure/integrity, thus the annular mode(s), tropical convection, cloud cover, general circulation, and wind speeds, all of which will affect the planetary heat budget.

Anyone making definitive statements now should be ignored.

I've wondered if the water vapor could actually have a reflective effect on the sun's energy due to being so high in the atmosphere.  The global warming properties of water vapor are based more on water vapor in the troposphere. 

Very possible this will have different effects than what is being assumed.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

3 hours ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Oh, sure. No disagreement there. It’s just a recurring issue with Jim; he has difficulty separating what he wants to happen from what all evidence indicates is most likely to happen.

Just a few runs the EPS was showing a GOA ridge and modest troughing over the NW.  I had that in mind when I talked about the models fluctuating.

I'm getting a little bit tired of people trying to imply I'm some kind of an idiot.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

I've wondered if the water vapor could actually have a reflective effect on the sun's energy due to being so high in the atmosphere.  The global warming properties of water vapor are based more on water vapor in the troposphere. 

Water vapor in the stratosphere is a greenhouse gas... its traps warmth and does not reflect sunlight.  

https://research.noaa.gov/article/ArtMID/587/ArticleID/1299/Water-vapor-in-the-upper-atmosphere-amplifies-global-warming-says-new-study

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Just a few runs the EPS was showing a GOA ridge and modest troughing over the NW.  I had that in mind when I talked about the models fluctuating.

I'm getting a little bit tired of people trying to imply I'm some kind of an idiot.

No one said that... just that we all do lots of wishcasting.     Its part of being a weather geek.   😀

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

It wouldn’t be reflective because H2O’s absorption bands are primarily in the infrared spectrum, while incoming solar radiation is primarily in the visible and ultraviolet spectra. Meanwhile O2/O3 already absorb heavily in UV spectrum.

This is true both near the surface - 12km and above 12km to the TOA boundary.

CD1E0E4D-8135-4B0B-A54F-63C495909792.jpegFB6E53A8-0A8D-4E87-9E10-302B84489395.jpeg2CCEB6C2-386C-440A-A926-7A8AA05D8409.jpeg

• Like 2

Kicked off the incoming fall season with my annual fall/winter season prep. Phase 1 is cleaning out the garden shed so I have space for summer deck items to be stored. Also for easy access to my snow shovels! Phase 2 will be putting up a new carport for my truck (cheap one I had for 4yrs got nuked in the big March snow) Phase 3 will be doing a major trim back of my front landscaping that got neglected due to my spring RV pad construction. Phase 4 will be cleaning out the main shop and servicing the generator. Phase 5 will be pulling boat and jetski and getting them put away for the season. Should be all wrapped up with the phases by the first week of October. 

It’s coming. 

But not today as the sun just popped out! 

1DB910C8-957E-43CA-AC5A-6379BF08C590.jpeg

2D2AFDB4-C0C6-465F-BD77-5888EDAC3A82.jpeg

41A1972B-6E0D-416F-9ED9-5D5C492B4A12.jpeg

• Like 6

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

5 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Water vapor in the stratosphere is a greenhouse gas... its traps warmth and does not reflect sunlight.  

https://research.noaa.gov/article/ArtMID/587/ArticleID/1299/Water-vapor-in-the-upper-atmosphere-amplifies-global-warming-says-new-study

We'll see if it actually happens in this case.  No sign of it yet according to global temp anoms vs the last couple of years.  Regardless of what people say there was more than just water vapor put into the air from that volcano.  Certain a lot of salts went up there as well.  The bottom line is....we don't know in this case.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, Phil said:

It wouldn’t be reflective because H2O’s absorption bands are primarily in the infrared spectrum. Meanwhile O2/O3 already absorb heavily in UV spectrum.

FA581CB1-B278-4208-84A3-4E325B4421D8.jpeg709462D0-F93F-4911-8752-38879A06972B.jpeg

Ok...I was just wondering.  This water vapor is so high compared to what is normally seen it seemed like the effects might be different.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just now, snow_wizard said:

Ok...I was just wondering.  This water vapor is so high compared to what is normally seen it seemed like the effects might be different.

There is always water vapor in the stratosphere.    And they say it generally contributes to global warming.   We will just have way more than usual for the next 5-10 years.    It will probably take a couple years to judge the effect on the climate system.    Even with SO2... the cooling effects are often delayed by a year.

6 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Kicked off the incoming fall season with my annual fall/winter season prep. Phase 1 is cleaning out the garden shed so I have space for summer deck items to be stored. Also for easy access to my snow shovels! Phase 2 will be putting up a new carport for my truck (cheap one I had for 4yrs got nuked in the big March snow) Phase 3 will be doing a major trim back of my front landscaping that got neglected due to my spring RV pad construction. Phase 4 will be cleaning out the main shop and servicing the generator. Phase 5 will be pulling boat and jetski and getting them put away for the season. Should be all wrapped up with the phases by the first week of October. 

It’s coming. 

But not today as the sun just popped out! 

1DB910C8-957E-43CA-AC5A-6379BF08C590.jpeg

2D2AFDB4-C0C6-465F-BD77-5888EDAC3A82.jpeg

41A1972B-6E0D-416F-9ED9-5D5C492B4A12.jpeg

Has your wife ever asked you how many shovels does one man really need? I was asked this recently and I quickly went on the attack about a certain snow shovel “accident” a couple years ago….

• Like 1
  • lol 3

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Something that hasn't been talked about much.  Sea salt particles in the atmosphere cause global cooling.  I wonder how much of that was spewed into the atmosphere by Hunga Tonga.  Just one possible way this could work out different than we think.

Air Quality and Climate Change | Center for Science Education (ucar.edu) 

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

5 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

A portion of incoming solar radiation is in the infrared spectrum which H2O does absorb, but that is more than countered by absorption in lower frequency IR which is a heavily component of Earth’s ULWR emissions.

The fact its not reflective/doesn’t reduce surface radiative forcing is demonstrated by the net cooling effect it has in the stratosphere. If it were reflective w/ respect to the surface, it would warm the stratosphere similar to how SO2 does.

2A94BAF5-79C3-4AB8-8851-D0176C662A49.jpeg

1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

Something that hasn't talked about much.  Sera salt particles int the atmosphere cause global cooling.  I wonder how much of that was spewed into the atmosphere by Hunga Tonga.  Just one possible way this could work out different than we think.

Air Quality and Climate Change | Center for Science Education (ucar.edu) 

FWIW the enhanced warming in the arctic is confined to the autumn and winter, not during the summer when albedo feedback would be realized directly. That explanation by UCAR is lacking context.

The truth is “arctic enhancement” is largely driven by a combination of latent heat release from re-freezing open water in the autumn/early winter, as well the modern day circulation (+TNH/+NAM) greatly enhancing WAA into the high arctic during the cold season.

We’ve seen during the (brief) excursions into -NAO in recent years that WAA into CAB/high arctic is greatly reduced, with northerly winds/CAA dominating the NATL. If we could somehow establish -NAO/-PNA type circulation as the dominant winter pattern, the arctic ice pack would absolutely recover, possibly to a significant extent, as we saw in the 1960s/70s.

• Thanks 1