August 2022 PNW Observations and Discussion - 1956 Redux!1!!1!

Went over towards Anacortes to catch a bit of the action. As I was driving over there, there were a few nice bolts to my south, but didn't quite get there early enough to catch anything on my camera. Arrived basically in the midst of heavy rain and by the time the rain stopped the lightning had basically stopped as well. But still a nice small storm.

• Like 2

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

12 minutes ago, Skagit Weather said:

Went over towards Anacortes to catch a bit of the action. As I was driving over there, there were a few nice bolts to my south, but didn't quite get there early enough to catch anything on my camera. Arrived basically in the midst of heavy rain and by the time the rain stopped the lightning had basically stopped as well. But still a nice small storm.

Models have been consistent about showing a thunderstorm developing in that area over the past few days.

It's called clown range for a reason.

13 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Miss. It’s all going to the east of me and the west of me. Maybe later.

Sucks that we couldn’t get something much more widespread. Those are just so rare to happen unfortunately. Lot of people scored but some people missed out too. Hopefully sometime at the end of this month or next month we get another good convective set up. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Clouds are hanging on tough today. Still 67 here after a low of 60 this morning just might eek out a sub 70 high. 

ECMWF and GFS perfectly predicted the stubborn low clouds today.    ECMWF shows it clears from south to north this evening and tomorrow is basically sunny from the start.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I guess the best that can be said right now is the coming weekend looks awesome.  ECMWF is going for mid 70s for SEA while GFS is going low 80s.  After that a possible round of hell on Earth.  At least it's getting late now.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

4 hours ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Bainbridge looks to be in the bullseye (for some reason, it often is when convection happens). Wish I was at my old place in Winslow right now.

The rain was pretty epic but the thunder was just so/so.  I would take another round, please.

2 hours ago, FroYoBro said:

Well, about 145 raindrops fell in Tigard last night. Now we can go back into a heatwave pattern. 

I think I may have had closer to 200.  Actually picked up .01 yesterday with big fat drops coming down for a few minutes.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

15 minutes ago, Dave said:

Update on the hailstones. They seem to be okay. I covered them with Saran wrap to help prevent sublimation. I know I'm getting carried away with this, but I've wanted to experience a severe thunderstorm for decades. Possibly Timmy_supercell is the only one that feels the same. I saw hail that exploded when it hit my patio and hail that bounced about 2 feet high when it landed the lawn. It happened in my backyard. A once in a lifetime event for Eugene. I also finally got a fcucking job after being unemployed for a year. Not the sexiest job though. I'm an accountant. 

20220810_153429.jpg

Have to say I've never experienced hail that large.

I think the best way to preserve the stones would be to vacuum pack them 

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

You heard it here first.  Abnormal cold snap somewhere between Sept 10 and Oct 20 coming our way.  Once the summer pattern collapses, I think we will go back to the generally below normal regime we had seen for months prior to this summer.

• Like 3
  • Snow 1
  • Weenie 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

3 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Getting some drizzle! 

We actually had rain for about 5 minutes today.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

4 hours ago, TacomaWx said:

I didn’t get the best videos since it went right overhead I had to go inside. Storm was pretty legit though we also picked up 0.12” of rain which breaks a 35 day dry streak! 

995250B7-BB2C-467A-AA86-0B81B54E35BB.jpeg

74683707-3D40-48D1-985E-B1948B3D229B.jpeg

59804CEE-5435-47D9-8FF3-63BB032B6AD6.jpeg

Nice!

4 hours ago, Kayla said:

Looking forward to seeing the inverse of this ridge/trough position come September-March! Enjoy it while you can @Phil😜

Screen Shot 2022-08-10 at 12.45.16 PM.png

Lol, and I’m missing it all in SE GA where the airmass changes are so slight it barely makes a difference. 

I’m sure I’ll get home just in time for another prolonged hot stretch.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dave said:

Update on the hailstones. They seem to be okay. I covered them with Saran wrap to help prevent sublimation. I know I'm getting carried away with this, but I've wanted to experience a severe thunderstorm for decades. Possibly Timmy_supercell is the only one that feels the same. I saw hail that exploded when it hit my patio and hail that bounced about 2 feet high when it landed the lawn. It happened in my backyard. A once in a lifetime event for Eugene. I also finally got a fcucking job after being unemployed for a year. Not the sexiest job though. I'm an accountant. 

20220810_153429.jpg

Sounds like you've had a pretty good week. Congrats on the job and the hail

• Like 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

32 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

You heard it here first.  Abnormal cold snap somewhere between Sept 10 and Oct 20 coming our way.  Once the summer pattern collapses, I think we will go back to the generally below normal regime we had seen for months prior to this summer.

Jim is predicting a cold snap!

In related news, water is wet and the Pope is Catholic.

• Like 1
  • lol 1
  • Troll 1

41 minutes ago, Dave said:

20220810_153429.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

67/60 today down to 64 with drizzle. Morning thunderstorms and a thick marine layer all afternoon. My kind of day! 

Just started drizzling here too.    Interesting that it started in both our areas at the same time while the area of low clouds is clearing around the Sound near Seattle.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

6 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Just started drizzling here too.    Interesting that it started in both our areas at the same time while the area of low clouds is clearing around the Sound near Seattle.

It’s already done drizzling here…even if we clear out pretty doubtful we hit 70 at this point. 

a0b8ab30-e5c4-4c02-ba15-673f80687ac9_360x203.jpg.dbfea3fc8f5a5113dd816143c5a1e6db.jpg

(Lightning from the Port of Tacoma)

WILDFIRE UPDATE  (The Fire After The Storm Edition)

NEW Known Wildfires started today! 8/10/22  

Washington - 13 (Thirteen new fires sparked in WA after some scattered lightning and thunder, with the threat continuing into Wednesday evening.  What started as four large fires in the state now grows to five Welcome the new Mohr Fire near Waterville.  WA Fire crews say that the the Mohr Fire is currently under control but fighting against strong sustained winds.  WA Fire Crews are optimistic about fully putting out the Cow Canyon Fire and Vantage Highway Fire by the end of the week. There is a cluster of fires, high up in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest that are currently growing.  These have been lightning induced. The total increases from 23 to 32.) Total: 32

Oregon - 24 (Lightning cells have spread throughout Oregon causing fires across the state with Central OR taking it especially hard.  29 new fires started mostly due to lighting.... There are three large fires in the state; the Miller Road Fire, Cedar Creek Fire, and Windigo Fire. The lightning strike are unfortunately hitting the driest parts of the state and in areas where wildfires are already burning, simply increasing the amount of fire. The total of fires in the state has exploded from 54 to 78.  Oregon now has more fires than any other state/province in the region.) Total: 78

Idaho - 2 (After four days of no new fires, a new fast growing fire near Pocatello has been sparked.  The Michaud Creek Fire quickly elevated to become a large fire in the state.  Another fire north of Pocatello has become a large fire; the Ross Fork Fire. The Wolf Fang Fire in the Bitterroot's has grown to be classified as a large fire now. There are now five large fires in the state including the Moose Fire and Woodtick Fire in remote locations within the Bitterroot Range. Pocatello is now surrounded by two large burns. All known fires in the state are large fires now. The total number of fires grows from 3 to 5.) Total: 3

British Columbia - 19 (Nineteen fires in the province including several in the Southeast District, Kamloops District, and now several on Vancouver Island.  The fires on Vancouver Island appear to be lightning induced. The bulk are wet of Port Alberni and surrounded BC-4.  There are now seven large wildfires in BC. The total amount of fires in the province increases from 49 to 58.) Total: 49

SMOKE UPDATE

Onshore winds are pushing smoke eastward. 

Two massive fires both west and north of Pocatello are burying the city in smoke and poor quality. Smoke fire massive blazes within the Bitterroot Range have placed Salmon ID in the unhealthy air quality range, and this may extend into Missoula MT and as far north as Kalispell.

All of southeastern BC is in moderate to unhealthy air due to smoke from BC fires.  Air quality is deteriorating on Vancouver Island's north due to BC wildfire smoke from the north flowing southward. Campbell River and Courtney are seeing moderate air quality. 

Seattle metro and Portland metro have clean, smoke free air.  The same can not be said for Oregon's south which continue to be socked in by California wildfire smoke.  Moderate to unhealthy air around Medford, Klamath Falls, and Grants Pass continues.  Air quality is hazardous down I-5 into California.  Smoke will also plague Bend, though models are showing it may be aloft for the time being. 

• Like 9

41 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Seriously, though, one of my personal heroes, E. D. Morel (google the name), got his start as a clerk.

He noticed something odd in the books of his employer: lots of valuable rubber and ivory was being shipped out of the Congo, but no goods or money were going in to trade for it, except manacles, whips, guns, ammunition, etc. He deduced that something extremely unsavoury was going on (i.e. slavery). It was worse than that: it was slavery and genocide. He quit his job and devoted his life to blowing the whistle on it. It took frustratingly long to stop it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snow_wizard said:

Are you thinking the cold snap will be on the dry side? I'm thinking September will be wetter and cooler than normal.