August 2022 PNW Observations and Discussion - 1956 Redux!1!!1!

11 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Sun break!!!

PDX up to 97.

...97% cloudcover?

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

84F about 10 mins after sunset. Air quality is green though just under yellow status.

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

22 hours ago, BLI snowman said:

And going out of your way to place an exuberant emphasis on the responsibility of UHI for SEA's recent high temps just seems like a really tired way of deflecting from the fact that we are simply just seeing historically hot summer weather quite a bit more frequently now.

Of course there has been hotter summer weather recently. No one is saying that isn't the case. Straw man.

The fact remains that focusing solely on SEA's numbers gives a skewed view of recent records vs the historical record. OLM has had fewer land changes around it, and is clearly a better station to compare to its own historical records - if you're looking for the most fair comparisons, at least.

Not sure why pointing this out should bother anyone.

A forum for the end of the world.

2 hours ago, TacomaWx said:

88 DP 70 puke GIF

Very rare that you end up hotter than my location in the summer.  We had some pretty solid cloud cover here compared to places further west.  Still an ugly 86/70 here today.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

6 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Of course there has been hotter summer weather recently. No one is saying that isn't the case. Straw man.

The fact remains that focusing solely on SEA's numbers gives a skewed view of recent records vs the historical record. OLM has had fewer land changes around it, and is clearly a better station to compare to its own historical records - if you're looking for the most fair comparisons, at least.

Not sure why pointing this out should bother anyone.

From what I can tell the general average for July and August this century is up a solid 2F vs the final quarter of the 20th century.  Absolutely no question the biggest change in the climate here has been during the summer.

For whatever reason the warming in this region has been much more pronounced than just about anywhere during the summer, and some places have actually cooled a tad this century.  Obviously there is something of a distribution component to this as well as a general warming of the globe.

• Like 1
  • Sun 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

20 minutes ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

Not everyday you see PDX as the coolest location along the I-5 corridor. The forecasted high was 96, missed it by 10 degrees. 🥶

web_ORWA_HIGHS_Today-11.jpg.e9a8628e88b17296b03f80d326fdc81e.jpg

The models really underestimated cloud cover effects today.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Smoke aloft is making for some excellent colors in the sky tonight.  Today was horribly muggy, the muggiest it's felt all year to me.  Dead still air.  Yuck.  Topped out at 79F today, still a warm 73F right now.  The moisture in the air made today feel way hotter than some of the hotter temp days recently. 

2022-08-18 19.48.53.jpg

2022-08-18 19.49.03.jpg

• Like 2

Should be another warm night as the mid-level deck of clouds stays in place until tomorrow morning.    All the models show the clouds get shoved east by noon tomorrow and we return to more typical summer weather.   For Seattle the ECMWF shows mid 80s tomorrow... around 80 on Saturday... then low to mid 80s again on Sunday.    Might end up a little warmer with its a cool bias but should be a spectacular summer weekend.

• Like 4

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Been sitting outside to warm up! The only thing that would have made this evening more perfect would be being at the lake right now taking a slow night cruise in the boat. 

C84CF495-CD24-4AEA-8640-3CEA5856B9D8.jpeg

04B816F9-376B-42C8-AB6F-4857088A0873.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

2 hours ago, SnowWillarrive said:

Sometimes I question if rain is possible anymore in this climate 

Out climate history features many July and Augusts with very little rain... even long ago.   And then it starts raining again in the fall and never stops.   One extreme to the other... and I am sure it will happen again.   

• scream 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

3 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Gotta happen eventually I really hope the gfs is on to something. Would be really nice to see some anomalous troughing as a flip side to what we’ve been getting recently. 

This is the kind of sh*t that keeps Tim up at night 

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

3 hours ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

Finally found a place that has fried okra here. Still can't find any catfish or hushpuppies. Not sure why they aren't prevalent here as they're yummy AF.

Agree with you on catfish. Popeyes used to have catfish fillets and I always got them. They tasted so good with their tartar sauce. Unfortunately they discontinued it up here because it didn't sell well. It sucks you folks don't even have a Burgerville down there. Even Corvallis has one now.

• Excited 1

5 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

This is the kind of sh*t that keeps Tim up at night 

Some rich hypocrisy here! 

At least I have a warming climate on my side.   😎

• Like 1
  • Troll 2