August 2022 PNW Observations and Discussion - 1956 Redux!1!!1!

• Longtimer
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Cloud said:

This is a fight that we’ve been fighting and continuing to lose. This is why you see a few members including myself reference BFI more often than not. And it’s not because I live right by it either. 

BFI definitely is more representative overall being that it's in the actual city and closer in elevation to the majority of city locations.

The problem I see is that for whatever reason there are large gaps in the official data at BFI within the NCDC database that make it a very fragmented period of record, which makes it harder to compile averages and extremes. That is despite the fact that it's actually an older station than SEA (BFI began observations in 1928 and SEA began in 1944) and that from what I can tell they have been recording the weather there continuously from the jump. In fact, it is by that measurement the oldest continuously operating weather station in Seattle and it's probably seen fewer land use changes than SEA overall as well.

Edited by BLI snowman
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

BFI definitely is more representative overall being that it's in the actual city.

The problem I see is that for whatever reason there are large gaps in the official data at BFI within the NCDC database that make it a very fragmented period of record, which makes it harder to compile averages and extremes. That is despite the fact that it's actually an older station than SEA (BFI began observations in 1928 and SEA began in 1944) and that from what I can tell they have been recording the weather there continuously from the jump. In fact, it is by that measurement the oldest continuously operating weather station in Seattle and it's probably seen fewer land use changes than SEA overall as well.

Great points!! And this is actually something I noticed while scouting through the database in recent years. There are a lot of missing data. My guess is this largely the reason why the NWS don’t want to move to BFI. SEW would also work tbh. 

• Like 1

I haven't had a chance to do any deep dives in to models. Anyone have any temp, wind, and cloud cover predictions for tomorrow in the Seattle/Bellevue area? Hosting a work event on my boat on lake WA- definitely not the best weather day, but hoping not too bad. Thanks!

17 hours ago, Skagit Weather said:

It's funny you mention the food. The seafood is fresh, but many Chileans have no idea how to cook it. The only time I had good seafood was at international restaurants such as Peruvian. Even decently upscale places generally overcooked their fish. The food in general is terrible in the country unless you like northern European bland. They put half a tub of mayonnaise on everything (one of their national dishes is the "completo" which is a hot dog with more mayonnaise than hot dog) and I swear they're allergic to spice. Their cocktails and produce though are fantastic!

I guess to add a weather element to this post, Chile has such a unique climate. Down in the south you have some of the wettest temperate locations in the world with almost continuous year round rainfall while in the north you have the Atacama Desert and the driest location in the world. Santiago itself has quite a similar climate to San Jose, CA with slightly less rain and slightly cooler lows from more of a continental influence (and higher elevation). Unfortunately it's situated in a basin so it suffers from quite bad pollution like LA did a couple decades ago.

Thanks for the heads up, I guess I'll have to cook the majority of the seafood myself when I visit. I wanna taste their barnacles so bad. 😋 

The Atacama Desert is so interesting. It's the driest in the world but since it lies so close to the Pacific Ocean it gets dense fog. It doesn't rain but there's enough moisture to help support vegetation called lomas.

"One of the driest places on Earth, South America’s Atacama Desert — a 1,000 kilometer stretch along the western coast of Peru and northern Chile — receives almost no rainfall. But there are isolated patches of green amidst the desert sands, thanks to water from an unusual source — fog.

In some parts of the Atacama coastline, moisture from clouds formed over the Pacific Ocean drifts inland and sweeps over the desert slopes. The fog isn’t wet enough to produce rain, but it does provide enough moisture for isolated islands of vegetation called lomas. Grasses, cacti, shrubs and small trees flourish in these fog oases, surrounded by mountains and shifting dunes.

Scientists estimate the South American lomas support some 1,400 plant species, more than 40% of which are found nowhere else. But the lomas are important for another reason too: people depend on them to scratch out a living in an otherwise barren land."

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/the-future-of-a-fog-oasis/

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RentonHillTC said:

I hit 92 and have been 90-91 for several hours. I figured SeaTac would have made it. 

Inter-hour did showed it hit 90 after 5pm. But have to wait to see if it’s official. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Jginmartini said:

What a beautiful storm!!! Awesome shot 

That means a lot coming from you!

• Like 1

Cold Season 2021/22:

Total snowfall: 119.0"

Highest daily snowfall: 16"

Highest snow depth: 20"

Coldest high: -5ºF

Coldest low: -25ºF

Number of subzero days: 1

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

• Longtimer
16 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Great points!! And this is actually something I noticed while scouting through the database in recent years. There are a lot of missing data. My guess is this largely the reason why the NWS don’t want to move to BFI. SEW would also work tbh. 

Yeah, Sandpoint has been recording continuously now since 1986 and even has snowfall data as well. Also in the city of course.

1 minute ago, BLI snowman said:

Yeah, Sandpoint has been recording continuously now since 1986 and even has snowfall data as well. Also in the city of course.

How do I access Sandpoint Station I can't find it anywhere 

Know thyself and you shall know the Gods!!!!

All things are possible, who you are is limited by who you think you are!!!!

☥𓂀

1 hour ago, SnowWillarrive said:

Will there be a big crash this evening? 

Looks like it maybe not major but it’ll crash. 87/61 here…still 87 currently but down to 76 in Shelton. It is coming. 

22-23 cold season stats

Coldest max-65

Coldest min-48

Monthly rainfall-0.04”

29 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

BFI definitely is more representative overall being that it's in the actual city and closer in elevation to the majority of city locations.

I checked some different months at BFI vs SEA and it's interesting to see the difference in snowfall in months like January 1950 for example probably somewhat due to elevation. BFI saw 7.8" of snow on 1/13/1950 while SEA saw 20". I guess SEA being farther south might've helped too but even at the end of the month as well they recorded way more.

Snowfall:

2021/2022: 6"

2020/2021: 4.5"

2019/2020: 1"

2018/2019: 3.7"

2017/2018: 5.5"

2016/2017: 18"

2015/2016: 1"

2014/2015: 0"

2013/2014: 9"

4 hours ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

12z EPS. Long range needs a little work but the control looks nice. Good to see decent agreement on the troughing and some rain chances later next week, though.

2E18CF24-CA1D-4F19-A59F-6FC9E01B17C9.png

12Z EPS. Long range needs a little work but the control looks real nice for a heat wave August 28 through September 2.  Good to see decent agreement on summer continuing in all it's warm/hot glory.  Good decent agreement on a slight cool down before summer resumes again on or about September 6.

Fixed it for you.

You're welcome.

• Like 1
  • lol 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Troll 1
  • Weenie 1

10 minutes ago, Cloud said:

5 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Also here.. Under "Nowdata" ->> "Seattle City Area" is the WFO station. 

https://www.weather.gov/wrh/Climate?wfo=sew

Thanks!!!

☥𓂀

13 minutes ago, Doiinko said:

I checked some different months at BFI vs SEA and it's interesting to see the difference in snowfall in months like January 1950 for example probably somewhat due to elevation. BFI saw 7.8" of snow on 1/13/1950 while SEA saw 20". I guess SEA being farther south might've helped too but even at the end of the month as well they recorded way more.

It doesn't hurt that SeaTac is on a frigging "plateau" and KBFI is essentially at sea level.

Take west seattle and QA as examples, I've routinely see those areas receive between 2-4" more snowfall than a spot half a mile away and 150 feet lower receiving half that amount.

It's not rocket surgery man.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JBolin said:

It doesn't hurt that SeaTac is on a frigging "plateau" and KBFI is essentially at sea level.

Take west seattle and QA as examples, I've routinely see those areas receive between 2-4" more snowfall than a spot half a mile away and 150 feet lower receiving half that amount.

It's not rocket surgery man.

Yeah I'm not too familiar with the microclimates in Seattle so I find the differences interesting. That makes sense though. The ice storm on the 19th must've been pretty bad in Portland though, Seattle had already warmed up but Portland received 2" of precip while staying below freezing.

Snowfall:

8 minutes ago, Kayla said:

Got hit with a very strong cell this evening. She was a beautiful! Picked up 1.03” of rainfall/hail in 30 minutes! Temp also dropped from 80 down to 49 degrees during the storm.

The approach.

432D231C-8927-43B5-870E-A810976D8435.jpeg

During.

This is part of my problem…..I need to be under this sort of thing daily.  The addiction is real sadly 🤣. Those skies are magical to me!

• Like 3

• Longtimer
36 minutes ago, ChrisAmunRA said:

How do I access Sandpoint Station I can't find it anywhere 

I don't know that they have a MESOWEST link to their real-time hourly data. But since it's the location of the NWS office they do take daily records and you can always find their most recent daily data on the SEW site. Looks like they pulled an 89 today.

CDUS46 KSEW 260118
CLISEW

CLIMATE REPORT 
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SEATTLE
618 PM PDT THU AUG 25 2022

...THE SEATTLE WA WFO CLIMATE SUMMARY FOR AUGUST 25 2022...
VALID TODAY AS OF 0500 PM LOCAL TIME.

CLIMATE NORMAL PERIOD 1991 TO 2020
CLIMATE RECORD PERIOD 1894 TO 2022

WEATHER ITEM   OBSERVED TIME   RECORD YEAR     LAST                   
                VALUE   (LST)  VALUE           YEAR                   
TEMPERATURE (F)                                                          
 TODAY                                                               
  MAXIMUM         89R       MM  89    1916    79                      
  MINIMUM         63        MM  49    1902    53                      
  AVERAGE         76                          66                   

PRECIPITATION (IN)                                                    
  TODAY            0.00          1.29 1977     0.00                   
  MONTH TO DATE    0.04                        0.22                   
  SINCE OCT 1     39.95                       34.26                   
  SINCE JAN 1     22.92                       19.94                   

SNOWFALL (IN)                                                              
  TODAY            0.0                         0.0                    
  MONTH TO DATE    0.0                         0.0                    
  SINCE OCT 1      5.3                         9.2                    
  SINCE JUL 1      0.0                         0.0                    
  SNOW DEPTH       0                                                 

DEGREE DAYS                                                           
 HEATING                                                              
  TODAY            0                           0                      
  MONTH TO DATE    3                           8                      
  SINCE JUN 1    138                          85                      
  SINCE JUL 1     18                          11                      

COOLING                                                              
  TODAY           11                           1                      
  MONTH TO DATE  143                         127                      
  SINCE JUN 1    322                         381                      
  SINCE JAN 1    322                         381                     

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, ChrisAmunRA said:

Screenshot_20220825-174442-179.png

So does 89.6 mean it will end up officially at 90 for a high today?

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Just now, TT-SEA said:

I'd think so rounding that up

• Like 1

☥𓂀

• Longtimer
30 minutes ago, Doiinko said:

It's a pretty significant elevation difference. SEA is 430' up while BFI is 20'.

In Portland area terms that would be like comparing central Beaverton to the zoo. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

It's a pretty significant elevation difference. SEA is 430' up while BFI is 20'.

In Portland area terms that would be like comparing central Beaverton to the zoo. 

That month would've been amazing to experience in any place here!

• Like 1

Snowfall:

11 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

10 minutes ago, ChrisAmunRA said:

I'd think so rounding that up

It did got rounded up to 90. Which is also the reason why a few resources I used to get official data is kinda quiet right now for the number. 

i am assuming the 89 will stick though. 

1 minute ago, Cloud said:

It did got rounded up to 90. Which is also the reason why a few resources I used to get official data is kinda quiet right now for the number. 

i am assuming the 89 will stick though. 

Many will loose sleep tonight because of this 😱

Not me……missing out on what Kayla is enjoying will 😂

• lol 3

17 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

10 minutes ago, Doiinko said:

That month would've been amazing to experience in any place here!

Just for fun…. BFI is so low at the adjacent I-5 is above it, you can drive by and look down at the entire airport. Then you have my location off of exit 161 and I sit about 250’ ASL, above both of these. 

A bit of elevation also made a big difference so I’m also a degree or 2 cooler in the wintertime too compared to sea level. 

All of this is within 1-1.5 mile distance. 😂 

• Like 3

Mean temp this month is up to 68.9 now…+3.5 above average. It’s also +0.9 over august 2017. Based on the euro temp output it’s pretty likely we beat 2017 for the warmest august but the warmest month of all time (69.2 in July 2015) is probably safe. 

22-23 cold season stats

Coldest max-65

Coldest min-48

Monthly rainfall-0.04”

There was a massive explosion in Everett.  Searching through local news outlets, first responder Twitter pages, nothing yet.  Anyone have any idea what happened?  Black billowing smoke coming from the city.

2022-08-25 19.10.24.jpg

EDIT: Cedar Grove compost is currently on fire.  That is the cause.

• Storm 1
  • scream 3

4 minutes ago, NWbyNW said:

There was a massive explosion in Everett.  Searching through local news outlets, first responder Twitter pages, nothing yet.  Anyone have any idea what happened?  Black billowing smoke coming from the city.

2022-08-25 19.10.24.jpg

Says it’s compost fire.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Marine layer is creeping in land and down the strait. 

Pretty cool stuff. 

CODNEXLAB-GOES-West-regional-w_northwest-02-02_06Z-20220826_map_-44-1n-10-100.gif

Coming in fast towards Olympia... SEA will probably struggle to reach 70 tomorrow.   Saturday will likely be warmer with better mixing as the ULL passes through.    Its that first day of a marine push that always ends up being way cooler than any guidance shows.

• Like 4

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Just passed our local bear.   This dude is strange... no fear of humans.   They said he is a juvenile.    I laid on the horn to see if I could scare him and he actually came towards the car to investigate.    Seems curious but not aggressive... but probably not a good situation. 

20220825_181749.jpg

• Like 6
  • Excited 2
  • Sad 1
  • Storm 1
  • scream 1

4 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Just passed our local bear.   This dude is strange... no fear of humans.   They said he is a juvenile.    I laid on the horn to see if I could scare him and he actually came towards the car to investigate.    Seems curious but not aggressive... but probably not a good situation. 

20220825_181749.jpg

Probably not a good idea to pet him.

• Like 1
  • Troll 2

• Longtimer

Oh no... 

89335FB8-F4BD-46F1-B1C0-41E776B5A33E.png

• Sad 1
  • scream 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 82.13" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

00Z NAM shows marine layer clouds locked in all day with no breaks even late in the afternoon.    Might well be the first sub 70 day of the month at SEA.    

nam-218-all-nw-total_cloud-1558400.png

• Like 2
  • Snow 1

• TT-SEA unpinned this topic