Ground Hog Day Blizzard/Snowstorm Part II

Geos

Whew!  I thought I was banned!!  For saying I was drunk, which I still am.  I couldn't quote the individual (i believe was Geos) asking about how chaotic it is in Iowa.  It is.  The night before Caucus night is our now unofficial Mardi Gras.  We send all the politicians and media home.  THanks goodness!  I won't go in to who I met and talked with tonight, but we all are glad to get rid of the media and lying politicians on both sides outta here.  Unfortunately...they are invading one of my favorite bars so I had to put up with them tonight...and was unavailable for my expertise and stellar meteorolgoy knowledge...but I did tell this politician who doesn't take crap; what I do and HE said he appreciated me and hope I get to keep my job....but regardless..drunk or not drunk...glad I can still post here. I enjoy the winter banter...nto here in severe season b/c I am out in the field...but alas, all is good that ends well.  Give me 5 to 8 inches, like any woman would want, and I, and she, woould be happy.  Cheers, bring on the caucus and the blizzard...the media not happy about staying longer in Iowa...but as a former media member, I say screw em....spend your little income here in Iowa!  Go USA and go BLIZZARd 2016....and GO anyone that believes what I believe

• Like 3

My gut tells me the Euro is wrong-- and that 06z nam and gfs are onto something. Also been watching the RAP and HRRR -- it seems it's jogging N. Hope I'am wrong (cuz I would get the shaft) ,, but this makes the most sense to me, even if I dont like it.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

and that is why I don't work at the NWS--

OMA disco-

ALTHOUGH THE MODELS ARE IN GENERAL AGREEMENT IN THE SYNOPTIC
SCALE...MOVG THE CYCLONE OUT OF THE DESERT SOUTHWEST TODAY AND
ACROSS THE CNTRL PLAINS ON TUESDAY THERE REMAIN SIGNIFICANT
DIFFERENCES IN TEMPERATURE/MOISTURE PROFILES THAT ARE IMPORTANT TO
THE SENSIBLE WEATHER. THE SYSTEM WAS FINALLY SAMPLED AT 00Z OVER
CA WITH A 115 KT H25 JET LOCATED IN SRN CA WITH H5 HEIGHT FALLS OF
150 TO 160 M NOTED. AS NOTED BY WPC WE PREFER A 00Z EC/GFS
ENSEMBLE BLEND FOR THIS FORECAST CYCLE. THE 00Z OPERATIONAL GFS
APPEARED A TOUCH TO QUICK AND WE STILL BELIEVE A BIT TO FAR NORTH.
THE 00Z EC/GFES APPEARS LIKE A GOOD COMPROMISE TO SLOW THE SYSTEM
DOWN AT TOUCH AND MOV IMPORTANT FEATURES A BIT SOUTH.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Check out the differences between E pottawattimie COunty (just E of OMA) and W Cass Cty in SW IA in the NWS Grids. E Pott from the OMA NWS has total 6-10. East of there as 6-14" in Cass Cty forecast by NWS DMX. Not on the same page.....??

Took'em long enough --- 5:16AM (ALWAYS the LATEST) but at least DMX wrote a nice disco and made me feel a tad better--

SOUNDINGS QUICKLY BECOME DEEPLY SATURATED B/T 03-06Z OVER
SOUTHWEST IOWA AND B/T 06-09Z FURTHER NORTH. VERY POTENT 300MB JET
PLACES IOWA IN THE LEFT EXIT REGION PROVIDING PLENTY OF DIVERGENCE
ALOFT AND UPWARD VERTICAL MOTION ACROSS THE STATE BETWEEN 06-18Z
TUESDAY. ONE OTHER THING TO NOTE...SOUNDINGS DO SUGGEST AN ABOVE
FREEZING LAYER NEAR THE SURFACE TONIGHT BUT THE FORCING WITHIN THE
DGZ IS STRONG ENOUGH TO COOL THE COLUMN AND KEEP PRECIP ALL SNOW
FOR SOUTHWEST TO CENTRAL PORTIONS OF IOWA. THE BEST CROSS SECTION
TO SHOW THE SIGNIFICANT NEGATIVE EPV AND THETA-E DECREASING WITH
HEIGHT EXTENDS FROM NW IOWA TO NE MISSOURI. LARGE CROSS HAIR OF
OMEGA WITHIN THE DGZ B/T 09-15Z WITH STRONG FRONTOGENETICAL
FORCING B/T 600-650MB AS WELL AS B/T 700-750MB SHOULD LEAD TO
HEAVY BANDED SNOW DURING THIS TIME IN THE WARNING AREAS. PLUS WITH
THE AFOREMENTIONED LARGE SCALE UVM...700-500MB LAPSE RATES MUCAPE
VALUES RANGE FROM 6.0 TO 7.5 C/KM AND 50-100 MB RESPECTIVELY. THIS
IS LIKELY ENOUGH TO RELEASE CSI AND CAUSE SOME BRIEF STINTS OF
THUNDERSNOW TUESDAY MORNING. ALTHOUGH A WIDESPREAD 6-12 INCH BAND
IS ANTICIPATED...EXPECTING SOME ISOLATED SPOTS TO SEE NEAR 15
WITHIN THE TSSN REGION. THIS ROUGHLY FROM DES MOINES TO CARROLL
EAST-NORTHEAST THROUGH AMES TO IOWA FALLS/MARSHALLTOWN...AND MAYBE
AS FAR EAST AS WATERLOO. EXPECTING SNOWFALL RATES FROM 1-2 INCHES
WITH OVER 3 INCH PER HOUR RATES POSSIBLE TUESDAY MORNING.

I have become the rain/snow line. Anything can happen. projected snowfall for my area is 2-8. DVN is playing it safe and going with ~4. and a WWA. I guess if the Rain?snow line goes south. They uprgrade and if it goes north they are covered. I don't think they want to bust.

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

Nah. I'm over it. This ones a flop here. Glad the NWS in Omaha sees what I'm seeing and they dropped the blizzard watch. I imagine they drop us to an advisory as the days goes on.

Read their discussion. They believe the GFS IS TOO FAR NORTH and are siding with the euro and ensembles which dumps on us. Just because they're not going with a blizzard warning has nothing to do with amounts. It has to do with winds and visibility. You can have a frickin blizzard warning with 1" of snow forecast.