Valentine's Day/President's Day Snow System and 16th Clipper

Tom

There are various solutions on the table for what could be a snowy Valentine's Day & President's Day after what has been a very cold 2nd week in February.  The ground should be plenty cold to allow fast accumulating snows.

GFS has been advertising a northern lead wave that lays down a pretty decent swath of snow from the Dakotas  down towards the Lower Lakes.  On the other hand, the Euro doesn't see the first wave as being nearly as strong but develops a stronger southern feature that tracks up the App's.  Still a lot of uncertainty but the consistency of the GFS has raised some eye brows.

Let's discuss... 

• Like 1

Good luck to all, good storm to track. I'm hoping it can lay down a decent snowpack to keep the glacier going. That's one thing that has held the cold air at bay....besides super El Niño. Temps look to rise towards the 60's in western high plains next week; hopefully a deeper snowpack east of the Rockies can keep the pacific air west next week.

Those are 10:1 ratios...would like to see what InstantWxMaps has for snowfall...

I second that.

Went ahead and got a week's subscription.

post-7-0-23668700-1455168782_thumb.png

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Not sure if on the NAM the southern stream is starting to take over and maybe a possible phase starting to take shape. Either way it looks like a decent snowfall taking shape around these parts.

Probably going to see some different solutions up until Friday when the wave would be getting better sampling as it hits British Columbia.

Not sure if on the NAM the southern stream is starting to take over and maybe a possible phase starting to take shape. Either way it looks like a decent snowfall taking shape around these parts.

Do you have the 06z GEFS from instantwxmaps???  I saw you post them yesterday...just curious...

Here is a model that I have not used or really looked at before but thought it would be interesting to post. Anyone heard of this model?

Looks like the NASA model and showing this system phasing and going neg tilt a lot earlier.  I like the look of the HP off the EC which should allow this system to slow and dig.  Tracking these type of systems is always fun because it usually throws some surprises to qpf/snowfall totals.

Looks like the NASA model and showing this system phasing and going neg tilt a lot earlier.  I like the look of the HP off the EC which should allow this system to slow and dig.  Tracking these type of systems is always fun because it usually throws some surprises to qpf/snowfall totals.

With really no blocking, HP off the EC, and a strenghtening low pressure system, how could this not track farther NW instead of it just sliding east. New GFS run is starting to hone in on it but still a ways to go.

With really no blocking, HP off the EC, and a strenghtening low pressure system, how could this not track farther NW instead of it just sliding east. New GFS run is starting to hone in on it but still a ways to go.

The consistency of the GFS with this system has me  a bit enthusiastic about this one.  Seems like the Euro is playing catch up again.

The consistency of the GFS with this system has me  a bit enthusiastic about this one.  Seems like the Euro is playing catch up again.

And the GEM. What does the EURO parallel show for the first wave?

I would think with the second wave on Wednesday, if the wave goes negative tilt earlier it will back up west of the mountains. It's going that direction it looks like.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

And the GEM. What does the EURO parallel show for the first wave?

I would think with the second wave on Wednesday, if the wave goes negative tilt earlier it will back up west of the mountains. It's going that direction it looks like.

12z Euro Para...similar to the Operational...