September 2022 Observations and Discussion

Tom

92 tomorrow and dry all weekend  

Then 86 Sunday and Monday.  
That’s better.  

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

13 hours ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

Someone should tell Mother Nature/Lake Mead about the cycles as Lake Mead seems to have been waiting for 20+ years.

6A2D97AB-3D8C-447A-A044-30E8E9CDEE83.jpeg

Interesting. One thing that i haven't  heard much talk about. Is the amounts  of human consumption  from Lake Meade or any other western  lake. Seems to me that cities in sw usa have grown immensely?  Thats alot of water usage.

• Like 2

Unfortunately, all models this evening have pushed the good rain farther east, dropping my yard below to well below 1".  The bullseye is now northern Illinois into southern Wisconsin.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

2 hours ago, OKwx2k4 said:

There are many cycles in nature.

Weather is no different on the short scale, climate on the long. Some cycles are short, some long. Its not chaos. Its balance. It takes a lot of study of the whole picture without any other input to figure at least that out.

Predictability will never be perfect. Weather isn't digital. It's fluid. Got to look at bare facts, not opinions. That's all. 

Not the first drought to happen there. Or in TX. Nowhere near the worst, either.

People didn't always have to be scared, lied to, paid or coerced into responsibility and conservation. Maybe that plays a part. Waste and lack of wisdom? Surely not. 

No one’s scaring me, paying me, or lying to me. Just following the facts and science.

Its too bad those on the other side only think it’s all just a big money-making, high level coordinated hoax between top level scientists and even countries around the world, with apparently made up data and flawed research. This is all being done just to make these people rich by asking the god awful evil task of having people take better care of the planet we live on. The horror…

• Like 1

On 9/8/2022 at 10:47 AM, Phil said:

I hate September. Most boring weather of the year with rapid loss of daylight.

The entire August 15 - October 15 period is by far my least favorite weather wise. Not much to look forward to until stronger fronts/dynamics arrive later in October.

From the standpoint of interesting weather I agree. But as a person who enjoys nice weather, September is my favorite month. In Iowa we typically see prolonged periods of dry weather with very warm days and low humidity and cooler evenings. The weather has been fantastic here lately and after the next couple days it looks to continue. Not to mention the start of football season, which also adds to my love of September and early fall in general. 

• Like 5

The official H/L at Grand Rapids yesterday was 81/56 there was no rain fall and the sun was out 98% of the time. The overnight low here both in MBY and at GRR has been 62 and that is the current temperature with some clouds. For today the average H/L is now down to 76/55. The record high of 94 was set in 1931 and 2013 and the record low of 36 was set in 1917 and 1969. The sun rises today at 7:16AM and set at 8:01 PM. It looks to become rather wet for Sunday and Sunday night. After that it looks to reman on the mild side.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OttumwaSnomow said:

Interesting. One thing that i haven't  heard much talk about. Is the amounts  of human consumption  from Lake Meade or any other western  lake. Seems to me that cities in sw usa have grown immensely?  Thats alot of water usage.

Not to mention, the amount of agriculture that is grown in AZ/So Cal region....Arizona agriculture uses 72% of the entire water supply.  Pretty incredible and you wouldn't think that Arizona grows a lot of food, esp down near Yuma.  Nearly 2/3's of the nations fruits and veggies are grown in this region.  The farmers and ranchers use a lot of water and now they have to cut back another 3% next year.  That doesn't include the 18% cuts this year alone.  Check your local grocery store and see where the romaine salad comes from among other food.

Next year more cuts will be expected and farmers are concerned unless we bring in other modern tech to grow food with less water.  Arizona got the lower end of the stick and NOT California and neither did Nevada...gee, I wonder why??? Maybe Politics and MONEY had to do with it?

https://www.azfamily.com/2022/08/16/colorado-river-cuts-expected-arizona-other-area-states/

We'll find a solution...I'm confident of this....if all else fails, it'll eventually come from nature when these lakes get filled back up naturally.

• Like 1

Woke up around 2:30am today to the sounds of water dripping down the roof tiles...the valley did get a decent soaking and I think Sky Harbor got some decent rains to bump up the official readings.  It'll be nice to see PHX bump up their precip stats since that will add to the Monsoon season totals.

Earlier yesterday evening, winds picked up as a line of storms fired up kicking up dust across the valley.  Kay's influence into the valley was in full effect.  I've never experienced a tropical systems effect here in AZ so that will be checked off my bucket list.

http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/current/mcview.phtml?prod=sel1rad&java=script&mode=archive&frames=75&interval=10&year=2022&month=9&day=9&hour=17&minute=45

• Like 1

Very much ready for this strong cold front to move through later today and drop highs into the low 70s for a few days.  Hopefully I can get some rain as it has turned rather dry here the last 2 weeks, 1/2 to 1 inch is in the forecast.  Chicago and @westMJim look to receive some heavy amounts.

qpf_acc.us_mw.png

https://www.drought.gov/states/missouri/county/johnson worsening in my area.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Clinton said:

Very much ready for this strong cold front to move through later today and drop highs into the low 70s for a few days.  Hopefully I can get some rain as it has turned rather dry here the last 2 weeks, 1/2 to 1 inch is in the forecast.  Chicago and @westMJim look to receive some heavy amounts.

qpf_acc.us_mw.png

https://www.drought.gov/states/missouri/county/johnson worsening in my area.

Fast Forward a few months and lock it in!  Man, this system has been on my radar for a long time and its crazy how many shifts have happened in the modeling over the past few days.  This is one potent little Autumn storm...pretty dynamic and loads of precip.  Good luck to you down there!

• Thanks 1

Texas is used to wearing shorts on Halloween.   Even on Christmas.  
But I hope we get cooler weather and some cold, not to mention rain.  

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

1 minute ago, Andie said:

Texas is used to wearing shorts on Halloween.   Even on Christmas.  
But I hope we get cooler weather and some cold, not to mention rain.  

I won't get much rain either, even when it appears to be during the Oklahoma State Fair!

Fell to 60°F this morning, 50s are possible now in the next 2 nights!

• Like 1

Never say Never with Weather, because anything is possible!

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted

So far this is a pretty weak rain event.  I'm at only 0.45 with only light rain through the middle of the night.  There's no way I'll make an inch... probably won't come close.

• Sad 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

4 hours ago, Clinton said:

Temperature is down to 76 and the windows are open for the first time since June.  It feels great having fresh air blowing in.  Tomorrow is going to be a great day to be outside, I'll be watching the Chiefs game on the back deck.

image.thumb.png.f0c5da506605479dfee5b8f44a5e5f82.png

“Fresh air blowing in…”.  

WTH is that!?  😄

• lol 1

Yesterdays official H/L at Grand Rapids was 83/62 that was more typical of a mid July day instead of a mis September day. There was no rain fall and the sun was out 79% of the possible time. The overnight low so far both at GRR and here in MBY was 61 and that is the current temperature. For today the average H/L is now down to 76/55. The record high of 94 was set in 1931 and the record low of a frosty 32 was set in 1943. Today dose not look to be very nice day with a lot of rain expected.

• Like 1

I got my new water-winter wonderland license plate. Looks much better than the old one that I had that had become very faded. For those not familiar this is a remake of a old style plate from the mid 1960's

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2021/12/02/michigan-license-plate-water-winter-wonderland/8838020002/

• Like 1

Very nice rain last night as I picked up .80 inches.  The models did a great job as they nailed the amounts for my area.  The sun is out and it's a beautiful morning outside with a temp of 56.  This weather makes the coffee taste better!  I am a little jealous of St. Joe getting into the upper 40s 

image.png.d99d182d89b84b09398e6c4ac110ee6d.png

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, someweatherdude said:

This is absolute nuts.  101, 102, 102, 100, 100, 100 for KC.  Whether it's a nutty forecast or nutty weather, or both, it's nuts.  

image.thumb.gif.302c535629cb289af9866a7fe0fe7d7d.gif

The GFS is almost unusable this time of year, it has done this since its upgrade.  It will most likely be warm but more likely upper 80s not 100.  It's kind of embarrassing to see the American model have this kind of issue in the fall all the time.

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, someweatherdude said:

This is absolute nuts.  101, 102, 102, 100, 100, 100 for KC in late September.  Whether it's a nutty forecast or nutty weather, or both, it's nuts.  

image.thumb.gif.302c535629cb289af9866a7fe0fe7d7d.gif

Wait till we start seeing the infamous "Barney" blue colors in the LR forecasts come this cold season.  I'm sure the temps forecasts will be way off and showing outrageously brutal cold.

• Like 2

The remnants of Kay will continue to spin offshore and will support a nice monsoonal flow pumping moisture into the SW.  Looking forward to more storm action over the next few days.  Not to mention, but some days in the low 90's will feel kinda nice.

• Like 3