September 2022 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Where’s the rain?

Through the 26th, we’re another inch below average for the month with ~1.5” out of normal 2.5”.

Average temps are 50/74 today and cool to 47/71 by the end of the 7 day period. Right now it’s only the lows that are driving the below normal averages until the end of the week.

Tonight
Clear, with a low around 43. East northeast wind 5 to 8 mph. 
Wednesday
Sunny, with a high near 68. East southeast wind 3 to 7 mph. 
Wednesday Night
Clear, with a low around 45. East southeast wind around 7 mph. 
Thursday
Sunny, with a high near 72. South southeast wind 7 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph. 
Thursday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 53. South southeast wind 10 to 13 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph. 
Friday
Sunny, with a high near 78.
Friday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 54.
Saturday
Sunny, with a high near 79.
Saturday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 52.
Sunday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 77.
Sunday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 53.
Monday
Monday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 53.
Tuesday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 76.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

Where’s the rain?

Through the 26th, we’re another inch below average for the month with ~1.5” out of normal 2.5”.

Average temps are 50/74 today and cool to 47/71 by the end of the 7 day period. Right now it’s only the lows that are driving the below normal averages until the end of the week.

Tonight
Clear, with a low around 43. East northeast wind 5 to 8 mph. 
Wednesday
Sunny, with a high near 68. East southeast wind 3 to 7 mph. 
Wednesday Night
Clear, with a low around 45. East southeast wind around 7 mph. 
Thursday
Sunny, with a high near 72. South southeast wind 7 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph. 
Thursday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 53. South southeast wind 10 to 13 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph. 
Friday
Sunny, with a high near 78.
Friday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 54.
Saturday
Sunny, with a high near 79.
Saturday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 52.
Sunday
Sunday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 53.
Monday
Monday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 53.
Tuesday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 76.

That's what life is like in California. Drought-o-mania.

20220927_185433.thumb.jpg.4244e2300f9111f5a42118cf0eb2eefa.jpg

Plenty of upper 20's in the Upper MW/GL's region this morning...this should bring a bit of a chill in the air!  Man, what a shock to the system.  A bit early for ya'll?  This should kick start the leaf change quickly this year up by the GL's this season.

I know we have one member up in the Arrowhead of MN...wonder what temp he's going to get down to over this next couple days.

image.png

• Like 2
  • Snow 1

The official H/L at Grand Rapids yesterday was 57/45 officially there was 0.05” of rain fall and 36% of possible sunshine. Here at my house, I record 0.04” of rain fall. The current temperature and overnight low at both GRR and here at my house is 47. For today the average H/L is now down to 69/48 the record high of 86 was recorded in 1905 and the record low of 27 was set in 1991. Last year the H/L was 71/50. There looks to be a chance of frost tonight. The last time it has gotten down below 35 in September was in 2000 when the low reached 34 on September 28th

• Like 3

Low of 59 in the morning.  Awesome!   
High should max out at 84.  
Now that’s more like it.  

• Like 3

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

33 minutes ago, Clinton said:

Coolest morning of the season so far, the temperature has dropped to 45.  Great weather to get some outdoor projects done this weekend. 

image.png.d0dd841258a34790375d997850f6aea2.png

Have you ran the furnace yet?  I think a lot of peeps around the GL's have already done so...gotta tell ya, this early taste of Autumn for you guys must feel so dang nice...

• Like 1

I smell a big bust coming in Week 2 from our CPC friends....esp for the Upper MW/GL's region...nasso much for the C & S Plains where I can see more of a seasonal temp pattern...the models keep trending towards a W NAMER Ridge.  #IndianSummerCancel

1.gif

1.png

2.png

• Like 3

As is many times the case the clouds were did not break overnight and that keep the temperatures up well into the 40’s in much of our area. That was not the case in parts of norther lower Michigan were many temperatures fell into the upper 20’s and low 30’s. At Grand Rapids the official H/L yesterday was 54/47 there was a reported trace of rain fall and 4% of possible sunshine. The low so far here in MBY is the current reading of 45. For today the average H/L is now down to 69/48 the record high of 93 was set in 1953 that is the current latest day of 90 or better at Grand Rapids. So it is safe to say we will not see any more days of 90 or better until next year.

• Like 1

As many other people have, I have spent a lot of time in the Fort Myers and Cape Coral area. My Sister lived there until she passed away in 2016.  I received a text from one of my friends and as of 11AM yesterday she was ok sent me a video of her back yard. But has not responded to any of my texts since. Yes, she stayed in her house. As is the case of many people that live in Florida if you leave you have to find a place to go and at times that is not as easy as one may think. Also I think she has a generator for power. At this point it looks like there was some massive flooding in the Fort Myers and Cape area. I hope everyone I know down there is safe but that said I also know most of them did not leave.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tom said:

Have you ran the furnace yet?  I think a lot of peeps around the GL's have already done so...gotta tell ya, this early taste of Autumn for you guys must feel so dang nice...

Not yet but we were close this morning.  Temps bottomed out at 42, the warm up during the daytime is the only reason we haven't. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Clinton said:

Not yet but we were close this morning.  Temps bottomed out at 42, the warm up during the daytime is the only reason we haven't. 

We’re in one of the better stretches for no energy use in a long time here. You can see last Tuesday when it was 100, and then almost no AC and no furnace needed. Looks that way for at least the next week.

DE5FEF98-D82E-47DA-A974-036BC674746F.jpeg

• Like 1

Perfect harvesting weather around here.  I think the coldest night we've had so far is 40 last week.  Most have been in the low to mid 40's, so nothing close to a frost yet.  The afternoons have been in the upper 60's to mid 70's and a nice breeze is blowing today.  Our average first frost is between Sept. 24-Oct. 9.  Average first freeze is Oct. 1-17.  Of course those are just averages, and can vary from year to year.

• Like 2

Not going to be a very colorful fall around here.  Trees are shedding leaves before they're able to turn do to lack of rain.

The latest Drought Monitor shows worsening drought conditions across the region, with 82% of our forecast area in moderate drought (D1) or worse, severe drought (D2) expanding, and the introduction of extreme drought (D3) near Boonville.
image.png.229578b59c2d72bc12fdb34adb957041.png
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, someweatherdude said:

I don't remember seeing a spot so close to KC that has literally no precipitation expected over a two week period.  And even KC itself is predicted to get almost nothing.  Other than the remnants of Ian, the entire country is looking dry. 

image.thumb.jpeg.cee3b6bd023c0e157ca2742aa2d9f606.jpeg

I'm very thankful we have a good well and watering system on the farm because we have very little running water in the creeks and our ponds are about 4 to 5 ft low.  Currently we are pumping water to 150 head of cattle.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, CentralNebWeather said:
Looks like I had 8” in this storm. Don’t remember it. 

Weather History Continued...I went digging through the records and found:

• Topeka had 2.07" of rain on Sep 28-29, 1985 (and no snow which would be expected)
  • Had a front loaded winter: Nov-Dec: 9.1" total snow and only 1.5" the rest of the 85-86 winter.
  • No measurable precip at all in Jan 1986.  Only traces of rain on Jan 18 and Jan 26.

• Like 2

23-24 seasonal snow total: 17.8" (as of 3/9/24)

Yesterday was a great late September day with an official H/L at Grand Rapids of 63/45. There was no rain fall and 84% of possible sunshine.  The grass dried out enough and I was able to cut the grass. And yes it was very long. The overnight low here in MBY was 41 and that is still the current temperature. For today the average H/L is now down to 68/48 the record high of 85 was set in 1922 and 1971 the record of 30 was set in 1993. The next several days look to be sunny and average to just a little below average with highs in the 60’s and lows in the upper 30’s to upper 40’s. At Grand Rapids September will end up very near average temperature wise much dryer than average. 

• Like 4

I put a reminder in my phone to test the Cicada Rule and a few of us on here heard them around July 8th (ish).  Well, let's put it to test bc if you take the 1st week of July as the start date that would make the 1st week of OCT as the First Frost.  Did any of you have Frost in IA this past week?  I know up in MN/WI it was common and there was spotty Frost the last couple nights in the far western burbs of N IL.

• Like 2