13 minutes ago, Joshua Lake Oswego said:

Keeping it real. I do wishcasting and giddy posting too. Not much to be excited about for a wet weather lover the past 2 1/2 months.

Your portrayal of the current state of things is a greatly exaggerated picture of despair and death. The upcoming weather doesn’t look terrible and this fire season hasn’t been extreme at all despite a couple days of smoke. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, RentonHillTC said:

Spokane AFD mentions potential frost/freezes for northern valleys and even the basin with the upcoming trough. Anybody know what the shortest growing season on record is for the eastside areas and how 2022 would stack up? I was going to put down some grass seed up here but that seems pointless now.

well in 2019 we had accumulating snow the last week of Sept in Spokane.  not sure about earliest freeze though

• Like 3
  • Snow 1

Morning EC precip totals...

latest wa.png

latest or.png

picard-facepalm.jpg

• Like 3
  • lol 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

3 hours ago, Eujunga said:

Where is that for? Baffin Island?

Baffin Island has already had blizzard conditions down to sea level. ☃️  Best climate in the northern hemisphere.

1 hour ago, Phishy Wx said:

well in 2019 we had accumulating snow the last week of Sept in Spokane.  not sure about earliest freeze though

for the period of 2000-2022 the earliest below 32 was on 9/22/00, number 2 was 9/28/19. latest was 11/3/15. Mean of 10/12

if we go back to 1900 the earliest is 9/13/70 and the Latest is 11/11/44 with a Mean of 10/8

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Pond Inlet averages more snowfall in July than January, and the record high is 65°F. The average low in February is -35°F.

Even for 72°N that is impressive (especially considering it’s only 200ft in elevation.

Edit: Actually this station is at the port in Nanisivik, but close enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Phil said:

Pond Inlet averages more snowfall in July than January, and the record high is 65°F. The average low in February is -35°F.

Even for 72°N that is impressive (especially considering it’s only 200ft in elevation.

Edit: Actually this station is at the port in Nanisivik, but close enough.

Pond inlet definitely does not average more snow in July than January.  

Doesn’t look like any major stations up there have had any blizzards yet this season either. 

edit.  Nanisivik has a pretty different climate as that station is over 2000ft in elevation 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Excited 1
  • lol 2

Further improvement for much of the region since the update this morning.  Only Vancouver metro saw stagnant to worsening smoke conditions (west of the mtns).  Still Eastern side of the states are socked in my smoke.  The latest satellite imagery show a pretty neat wall of clouds over in the Idaho Panhandle.  You can clearly see the smoke blanketing Eastern WA and OR. 

Screen Shot 2022-09-13 at 1.50.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-13 at 1.49.58 PM.png

Not much blue on the LR EPS. 🤮

Some monsoonal component still evident in NM/TX and Mexico.

4568786E-149B-4330-9D6B-C5CA73668251.png

• Sad 1

Just now, Phil said:

Why? It is clearly needed.

No... we don't need to just go into a non-stop stormy pattern.     Glad to see it won't happen.    Variety is nice.  I do wish the troughy period would being widespread rain for a day or two but that appears unlikely now.   

• Troll 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

No... we don't need to just go into a non-stop stormy pattern.     Glad to see it won't happen.    Variety is nice.  I do wish the troughy period would being widespread rain for a day or two but that appears unlikely now.   

Uh, yes, it is absolutely needed. The entire western half of the lower-48 would benefit from a sustained wet pattern.

To suggest otherwise is the height of absurdity.

• Like 2
  • lol 1
  • Popcorn 1

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Uh, yes, it is absolutely needed. The entire western half of the lower-48 would benefit from a sustained wet pattern.

We could be choking on wildfire smoke and Tim would still be not wanting it to rain very much.

Wait… that’s actually what’s happening.

• Like 2
  • Excited 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Maybe parts of the west... but that is never going to happen in September.    I am glad western WA won't be flipping a switch to a constant stormy pattern which can happen.   Sorry... going to enjoy the rebound next week.   Smoke should be completely scoured out too.   

• Troll 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

3 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

We could be choking on wildfire smoke and Tim would still be not wanting it to rain very much.

Wait… that’s actually what’s happening.

No... I would love a decent soaking rain.    A couple days of rain then back to sun.    No need to rush the inevitable. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Maybe parts of the west... but that is never going to happen in September.    I am glad western WA won't be flipping a switch to a constant stormy pattern which can happen.   Sorry... going to enjoy the rebound next week.   Smoke should be completely scoured out too.   

yeah it will all be over here

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Joshua Lake Oswego said:

Yea, no need for rain anytime soon since we are guaranteed to get some before July 5th, 2023.

I said it would be nice to get a soaking rain.    But there is no need to flip the switch yet.   

You live in a climate that averages 210 dry days a year and you want rain every single day.   You are going to be disappointed the majority of the time.  Don't blame me.   I live in a climate where its closer to a 50% split but prefer the dry 50% and know the wet 50% is inevitable.   I concede all of Nov-Jan to the rain gods.   Travel also helps.   I start expecting closer to 50/50 from Feb-Apr.   Many years work out that way.   Hopefully won't see a spring 2021 again for a long time.   That was pretty rare.

• Sick 1
  • Troll 1

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I said it would be nice to get a soaking rain.    But there is no need to flip the switch yet.   

You live in a climate that averages 210 dry days a year and you want rain every single day.   You are going to be disappointed the majority of the time.  Don't blame me.   I live in a climate where its closer to a 50% split but prefer the dry 50% and know the wet 50% is inevitable.   I concede all of Nov-Jan to the rain gods.   Travel also helps.   I start expecting closer to 50/50 from Feb-Apr.   Many years work out that way.   Hopefully won't see a spring 2021 again for a long time.   That was pretty rare.

yeah, no one would ever suspect you'd prefer the "50%" of the time it's dry by what you post every day.    lol

• Like 1
  • lol 2

6 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Doesn't always work like that. Plenty of years have seen a sustained wet pattern in September and then flipped to an extended dry one again.

• Like 2

A forum for the end of the world.

Barring a late break in the clouds and that one inter-hour 70 reading (I bet it was 69, nice), it looks like SEA's 70 streak ends today. 

2022-23 Winter:

11/29: .25" + 1" = 1.25" | 11/30: .25"

12/2: .2" + .5" = .7" | 12/3: .2" | 12/4: trace

12/18: .4" | 12/19: .2" + .8" = 1.0" | 12/20: .2 + 1.5" = 1.7

1/31: trace | 2/14: trace | 2/22: .2 | 2/26: 1.0"

Total: 6.7"

2 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Doesn't always work like that. Plenty of years have seen a sustained wet pattern in September and then flipped to an extended dry one again.

Some areas in Portland had over 5" of rain in September 2019 and then October and November were very dry I think.

5 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Yep... its nice when it holds off until November to really get going.   But meaningful rain events usually start in September as a ramp up.

5 minutes ago, Seattle said:

Barring a late break in the clouds and that one inter-hour 70 reading (I bet it was 69, nice), it looks like SEA's 70 streak ends today. 

It's official. 69. 

2022-23 Winter:

11/29: .25" + 1" = 1.25" | 11/30: .25"

12/2: .2" + .5" = .7" | 12/3: .2" | 12/4: trace

12/18: .4" | 12/19: .2" + .8" = 1.0" | 12/20: .2 + 1.5" = 1.7

1/31: trace | 2/14: trace | 2/22: .2 | 2/26: 1.0"

Total: 6.7"

2 hours ago, Front Ranger said:

I would go as far to say that very wet Septembers are often a good sign for those rooting for a very dry October or November. 2019, 2013, 1978, 1969, 1911 to name a few.

• Like 1