8 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

seasonal delay seems to be more pronounced now

fall starts later

winter gets ramped up later for the most part (late Jan/Feb)

spring later

even summer this year later

probably anecdotal but seems like a trend in the overall picture (i'm sure we can all point to events that contradict it) but big picture it seems to be the case.  Not sure if long state La Nina is the issue or a climate pivot

I heard somewhere the climate might be warming 

Spring and summer have most definitely NOT been starting later though. This year was a huge outlier compared to the last decade.

• Like 3

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

44 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I wonder what it would take to have Weatherbell predict a below normal winter for the NW?  If a third year Nina with +QBO isn't enough it's probably not possible.

Pretty small sample size with 3rd year Nina’s but the results are mixed at best for us.  

5 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

We are actually trending more toward 4 well defined seasons right now.  I'll be interested to see if that continues.  The warm summer thing seems to be here for a while.  I would sure rather have this what we had during the 1998 through 2001 La Nina.  Namely horrible winters and cool summers.

I was thinking that as well... our seasons have been more well defined recently.   

This past year being the exception... winter began in October and continued into June and then we flipped immediately to summer.   Hopefully with ENSO heading towards neutral or Nino by early next year we will have a much nicer spring.    Even climo will seem spectacular now.    

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

19 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

If I could choose I would love to see a 1928-29 or 1936-37 type winter this time around.  Fantastic combination of snow, cold, and sun.

Jan 1937 was crazy in the West. There have only been two months where the Average High Temp was in the 20's for lake Tahoe.

Jan 1937 - 25.5F

Jan 1949 - 27.4F

Jan 1950 - 31.0F

In recent times Feb 2019 was the coldest at 34.0F

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I was thinking that as well... our seasons have been more well defined recently.   

This past year being the exception... winter began in October and continued into June and then we flipped immediately to summer.   Hopefully with ENSO heading towards neutral or Nino by early next year we will have a much nicer spring.    Even climo will seem spectacular now.    

Winter began in October last year? Must have missed it. Mt Bachelor was barren until almost mid-December and I remember using my car's AC in late November one day.

• Like 4
  • Popcorn 1

2 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

Winter began in October last year? Must have missed it. Mt Bachelor was barren until almost mid-December and I remember using my car's AC in late November one day.

Initially it was lots of zonal flow and rain and AR events... pretty normal winter weather in the lowlands but slow start for the mountains.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

8 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Initially it was lots of zonal flow and rain... pretty normal winter weather in the lowlands but slow start for the mountains.

Also pretty normal fall weather. Lol

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

1 minute ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Also pretty normal fall weather. Lol

Yes... our normal less defined seasons in which fall, winter, and spring all blend together.  

5 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Did a little deeper dive with regard to surrounding stations and I’m starting to wonder if the recent numbers as Newport might be a little suspect. Thoughts?

You mean it might not actually be colder than Iqaluit at Newport? What ever led you to jump to that crazy conclusion?

• Like 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

1 hour ago, snow_wizard said:

Yup.  You guys killed it down there.  The Puget Sound region has been making up for it ever since.  We have had a number of really nice events here.

PDX and SEA's numbers don't seem that representative in 2016/2017, they both had 11.2". Downtown Portland had 15.5". How representative of the Puget Sound were SeaTacs numbers for snow in Feb 2019? 20+" in that one month!!

8 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Tim thinks that if it rains at all during the month it equates to "winter".

Those 75 degree showery days in early June sure felt like winter. Brrrrr!!!!!!!

Yes... 40s and 50s with rain all blends together.   Seems obvious that we don't have very well defined seasons.     When its 52 and raining in October... 48 and raining in January... and 55 and raining in April it all blends together to most people.  But go ahead and pretend otherwise.  ;)

Its the nature of our climate.   There are usually two distinct seasons... rainy and dry.   

• Weenie 1

21 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Tim thinks that if it rains at all during the month it equates to "winter".

Those 75 degree showery days in early June sure felt like winter. Brrrrr!!!!!!!

The 93 degree rain I saw in late July was sure a nice little throwback to winter!

Hilo and Windward Hawaii have 12 months of winter!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • lol 1

1 hour ago, Deweydog said:

Did a little deeper dive with regard to surrounding stations and I’m starting to wonder if the recent numbers at Newport might be a little suspect. Thoughts?

I think further investigation is required.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

15 hours ago, snow_wizard said:

2003 was pretty incredible.  Late heatwave, MAJOR October flood, and then a late October / early November Arctic outbreak.  The cold was so sudden it turned the leaves black here.  The only time I've ever seen that.

Was my first year at WWU.  I remember going to a Halloween party out in Alger and everyone was freezing their asses off.  The party was huge and most people were outside huddled around the outdoor heaters.

4 hours ago, snow_wizard said:

I wonder what it would take to have Weatherbell predict a below normal winter for the NW?  If a third year Nina with +QBO isn't enough it's probably not possible.

Bastardi def has an east coast bias in his predictions.  I actually really like their approach with the Pioneer model.  I haven't reupped my sub yet as I really don't care about summer weather.  Give me gobs of snow and purple 360hr snowfall maps though.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Snownerd3000 said:

Was my first year at WWU.  I remember going to a Halloween party out in Alger and everyone was freezing their asses off.  The party was huge and most people were outside huddled around the outdoor heaters.

We moved to Bellingham from the Willamette Valley July 2003, so that was our first Halloween up here, and yeah, my kids were pretty miserable.  My wife and I were also pretty miserable trying to figure out how to fit coats and sweaters underneath Halloween costumes.  Our kids were about 12, 6 and 3 at the time.  That was our second big reminder that we were not living in the WV any more.

The first reminder was (since we moved here July 1)  how incredibly bright it still was at 9-10 PM at night.  We would be driving around exploring, look at the time and see it was 8:30-9 and we still had to get home get the kids bathed and in bed! 

• Like 1

Wonder how Frankie McDonald is doing. He lived in Sydney, Nova Scotia. 

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

25 minutes ago, RentonHillTC said:

Anyone got any good cams or feeds to watch for Fiona landfall in NS?

It should be insane.  I don't see any way any of the things I've seen written about it are overblown.

• Popcorn 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, JBolin said:

Did an interview with Aaron Jayjack and plans to ride out the storm 

Is he well aware this is going to probably be worse than anything imaginable?

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9