2 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

The pattern has been overwhelmingly ridgy for our region with way above average heights since late June. The troughs that you keep flipping out about in the 11 day range aren’t actually happening. Just a PSA.

We have a had a few rounds of quite low PNA thrown in that didn't produce much rain.  You're trying to imply I'm either an idiot or losing my grasp on reality or something.  I've acknowledged many times it has been insanely dry and our recent summers have been persistently hot.  I get it.

• Popcorn 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

We have a had a few rounds of quite low PNA thrown in that didn't produce much rain.  You're trying to imply I'm either an idiot or losing my grasp on reality or something.  I've acknowledged many times it has been insanely dry and our recent summers have been persistently hot.  I get it.

SEA has had only 3 days below normal this month (and barely so)... and that is using the new jacked up warm averages from 1991-2020.    

And that is after the third warmest August ever.    

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

9 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

SEA has had only 3 days below normal this month (and barely so)... and that is using the new jacked up warm averages from 1991-2020.    

And that is after the third warmest August ever.    

Very true.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

On 9/1/2022 at 12:35 AM, snow_wizard said:

I'm going normal or below for this month.

My August call was dead on albeit not shocking.

To follow up... SEA is on pace for its second warmest September ever just behind 2020.    

Not sure where it will end up yet but it's almost a lock to be top tier warm given the next 4 days look quite warm and last day of the month is on Friday. 

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

32 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Given how many strong nor'easters they have weathered... I have to imagine they know how to handle storms.

I think people on the coastlines of the mainland in Atlantic Canada probably were in a worse position.  Tree damage will be severe

41 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I personally do NOT think you’re an idiot, Jim but I most certainly DO think you lose grip on reality on occasion. It’s one of your most endearing qualities! Reality bites!

• Like 3
  • lol 1
  • Popcorn 2

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

18 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

67 and sunny here. No smoke either for now. 

Smoke came in here in the last hour... it squeezed down through Duvall and Fall City from the Hwy 2 corridor.     But satellite shows the the plume at the source has now switched directions and its moving east so it should improve here soon. 

Unrelated but I wasn't sure if I should make a new thread for this or not so I thought I'd ask it here.

It looks like there was a COOP station called "Portland Elk-Point" from 1957-1972 with some gaps in between, but it seems like there were three different locations that fell under this station. From April 1969 to December 1972, it's located at "710 SW Viewmont Drive, Portland, OR" (West Haven-Sylvan at 950' elevation), from December 1967 to March 1969 it's located at "17345 NW West Union Road, Portland, OR" (Bethany at 250' elevation). However, from October 1957 to May 1958, it's location is only stated as "Wantz Residency" and Washington County. I was wondering if anyone here knew how to find the location of the station during that time period.

There was a lot of interesting information such as a 10s sustained wind speed of 65mph in February 1958, so I was wondering where the location was.

Here is the link to the observation forms: https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/IPS/coop/coop.html?_page=2&state=OR&foreign=false&stationID=356747&_target3=Next+>

It doesn't seem to show up on the WRCC page either.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Joshua Lake Oswego said:

I picture him getting the biggest sh*t-eating grin when he knows a lot of us are desperately hoping for a pattern change and he can post a ridgy map. 

I really want rain too.   I just took issue with it being obvious in the models.   I don't see it yet.   

I would actually do the same if the tables were turned and people were saying ridging was inevitable but the models keep backing away.    If fact I have done that many times.    

It's not about preferences at all in this case.   Just model analysis.

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

Smoke came in here in the last hour... it squeezed down through Duvall and Fall City from the Hwy 2 corridor.     But satellite shows the the plume at the source has now switched directions and its moving east so it should improve here soon. 

Nothing here yet. We will see about the upcoming Systems. I think that we will probably get 0.10-0.20” out of them. I don’t think we will have to wait until mid October for us to get something meaningful. 

1 minute ago, TacomaWx said:

Nothing here yet. We will see about the upcoming Systems. I think that we will probably get 0.10-0.20” out of them. I don’t think we will have to wait until mid October for us to get something meaningful. 

Smoke cleared out here now.   It looks like it was just a wave of smoke that blew through as NW wind picked up.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

The models look somewhat promising, but the troughing looks like it might struggle to produce a lot rain given the details.  Ensembles do show the mean ridge axis moving further east as time goes on.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 hour ago, Doiinko said:

Unrelated but I wasn't sure if I should make a new thread for this or not so I thought I'd ask it here.

It looks like there was a COOP station called "Portland Elk-Point" from 1957-1972 with some gaps in between, but it seems like there were three different locations that fell under this station. From April 1969 to December 1972, it's located at "710 SW Viewmont Drive, Portland, OR" (West Haven-Sylvan at 950' elevation), from December 1967 to March 1969 it's located at "17345 NW West Union Road, Portland, OR" (Bethany at 250' elevation). However, from October 1957 to May 1958, it's location is only stated as "Wantz Residency" and Washington County. I was wondering if anyone here knew how to find the location of the station during that time period.

There was a lot of interesting information such as a 10s sustained wind speed of 65mph in February 1958, so I was wondering where the location was.

Here is the link to the observation forms: https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/IPS/coop/coop.html?_page=2&state=OR&foreign=false&stationID=356747&_target3=Next+>

It doesn't seem to show up on the WRCC page either.

I would assume it was a personal station and they took it with them while moving? There is a family of that name is SW per Google search.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Blob said:

I would assume it was a personal station and they took it with them while moving? There is a family of that name is SW per Google search.

I think the observer contributed to this paper as well: https://www.jstor.org/stable/26180362?read-now=1&oauth_data=eyJlbWFpbCI6InJpc2hhYi5tYWRodUBnbWFpbC5jb20iLCJpbnN0aXR1dGlvbklkcyI6W119&seq=12#page_scan_tab_contents

And this which has the ID as 692
image.png.e1891f1a4a071ef5336ec0e4d530b85d.png

7 minutes ago, Doiinko said:

It shows 692 as in the middle of Downtown Portland but in the forms it states Washington County.

8 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Wow... Cougs demonstrate how to 'Coug it'.   Give up 22 points in last 3 minutes and 30 seconds to lose to Ducks.

Should be in the banter, but what an embarrassing collapse by WSU. 

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • lol 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • Sad 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

2 hours ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

I love the weather today, blue sky and 75 here. Today for me is a perfect day of weather.

It has been very comfortable this month.  Strange it will end up being the warmest Sep on record for a number of places in spite of a glaring lack of 80+ days compared to 1967 and 2017.  The lows are what did it this month, but they have come into line now.  You have to think the Nina will take hold of the pattern when it counts.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

Wow... Cougs demonstrate how to 'Coug it'.   Give up 22 points in last 3 minutes and 30 seconds to lose to Ducks.

Funny that I was joking about them Couging it with about 5 mins to go and there you have it lol.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope