9 minutes ago, Cloud said:

This is what? 3rd year in a row now? 🥺

This is actually very low AQI (still bad) levels considering how bad China and India usually are. I am impressed.  Good job world.  

The difference is the PNW isn't creating this bad air due to bad practices.  This is natural bad air. 

• Like 2

Guest administrator
2 minutes ago, NWbyNW said:

Maybe some good news?  Bolt Creek Fire's latest update says the fire has burned 500 acres but is listed at minimal-low growth.  Let's hope this is correct instead of the fear-mongering local media.

Screen Shot 2022-09-10 at 10.05.34 PM.png

I detached a retina after I rolled my eyes at this post.

8 minutes ago, NWbyNW said:

Maybe some good news?  Bolt Creek Fire's latest update says the fire has burned 500 acres but is listed at minimal-low growth.  Let's hope this is correct instead of the fear-mongering local media.

It says this was updated 20 mins ago but I absolutely do not believe the numbers are right. The fire is supposedly 2,000 acres and that was 9hrs ago. 

And a fire of that magnitude, I find it hard to believe that it's only 500 acres. 

And I dont believe the Washington State DNR Wildfire is doing any "fear-mongering"

2 hours ago, SnowWillarrive said:

Agreed.

And even in the west the smoke in places like Montana are much worse for smoke most summers. 

That may have been true in the past but I wouldn’t make that assumption now. You guys have had it way worse then me over the past 3 years now.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

12 minutes ago, NWbyNW said:

And if you believe what you're seeing on here with the true-color visible satellite is 500 acres... I'll shave my head. 

CODNEXLAB-GOES-West-subregional-Pac_NW-truecolor-05_11Z-20220911_map_-21-1n-10-100.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ShawniganLake said:

You know AST is on the coast, right?

The warmest lows here are at the coast.

And Tim keeps saying the SSTs are screaming warm over there so.. 🤷 

• lol 2

14 minutes ago, smerfylicious said:

It's closer to 7,000 acres according to Sky Valley Fire.

We'll know the exact size tomorrow but as of Saturday Evening, it's already 9,000 acres. 

As of Saturday evening, the wildfire is estimated to have burned 9,000 acres, according to Peter Mongillo, a spokesperson with Snohomish Regional Fire and Rescue. Infrared aircraft and equipment will be used Sunday to determine the exact size

• Sad 2

23 minutes ago, SnowWillarrive said:

The last several years has been exceptionally smoke free in Montana.
plus we have only had 1-2 days of smoke here in 2022. 

Again this is an assumption that is based on thoughts (mainly thanks to Tim) instead of facts. I've lived here for 5 summers now and it hasn't been worse than anywhere else in the PNW. Smoke free summers in the NW are unfortunately a thing of the past as our climate continues to warm.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5476308/#SD1Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 8.20.54 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 8.26.15 AM.png

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Did the tour of Puget Sound today car shopping for my son.  Coming down the canyon into the Skagit flats conditions went to in a hurry (not that they were great in Bellingham).  We hit Marysville around 1pm to fairly heavy ash fall, but it was a cool 73 degrees.  We struck out there and headed on to Kirkland.  The temp jumped to the upper 90's as we hit Bellevue.   Other than the stifling heat, the smell of smoke was not too strong.

We then went on down to Renton, it was a few degrees cooler, but I think the smoke was a little worse.

We ended up back in Kirkland and picked up a car we looked at there, and started driving north around 9:45 this evening.  It was hard to tell what the smoke was doing for the most part, but it seemed to be down to streetlight level around Lynnwood and again in Burlington/Mt. Vernon.

My son graduated from a 1998 Subaru Impreza with over 300k miles to a 2016 Subaru Forester with 70k miles.  All of this Subaru test driving has me seriously considering selling my Vee-Dub and getting a Subie. When I got the vee-dub, I got the TDI anticipating that I would have a commute.  Instead I now work remote full time, so it doesn't really make sense to keep a car meant to drive long distances.

I saw mention on the Whatcom weather FB page that there is a chance of thunderstorms tomorrow?

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Kayla said:

Again this is an assumption that is based on thoughts (mainly thanks to Tim) instead of facts. I've lived here for 5 summers now and it hasn't been worse than anywhere else in the PNW. Smoke free summers in the NW are unfortunately a thing of the past as our climate continues to warm.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5476308/#SD1Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 8.20.54 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 8.26.15 AM.png

Not getting my facts from TT. Personal experience from time in Missoula. Your definitely more likely to have a smokey summer in Montana vs anywhere west of the Cascades. 

As we know though. There were some pretty large fires before modern fire suppression. No surprise over recent fires in a warming climate. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Did the tour of Puget Sound today car shopping for my son.  Coming down the canyon into the Skagit flats conditions went to in a hurry (not that they were great in Bellingham).  We hit Marysville around 1pm to fairly heavy ash fall, but it was a cool 73 degrees.  We struck out there and headed on to Kirkland.  The temp jumped to the upper 90's as we hit Bellevue.   Other than the stifling heat, the smell of smoke was not too strong.

We then went on down to Renton, it was a few degrees cooler, but I think the smoke was a little worse.

We ended up back in Kirkland and picked up a car we looked at there, and started driving north around 9:45 this evening.  It was hard to tell what the smoke was doing for the most part, but it seemed to be down to streetlight level around Lynnwood and again in Burlington/Mt. Vernon.

My son graduated from a 1998 Subaru Impreza with over 300k miles to a 2016 Subaru Forester with 70k miles.  All of this Subaru test driving has me seriously considering selling my Vee-Dub and getting a Subie. When I got the vee-dub, I got the TDI anticipating that I would have a commute.  Instead I now work remote full time, so it doesn't really make sense to keep a car meant to drive long distances.

I saw mention on the Whatcom weather FB page that there is a chance of thunderstorms tomorrow?

I seen a post about that it would be early if any

• Like 1

Eastside Tacoma/Salishan, WA. Elv 263ft

Family home in Spanaway, WA. Elv 413ft

☥𓂀✡️

34 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

I own a legacy. And it’s by far the best vehicle I’ve owned. I love subies! ☺️

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, smerfylicious said:

NWS posted this from 4 hours ago. Is there a place to check for a more updated one?

20220911_001155.jpg

I don’t think we’re getting anymore updates tonight which will have many residents on edge. The last update I saw was from my previous post which was updated about 2 hours ago with 9,000 acres. 

• lol 1
  • Sad 1

Using the latest satellite data, this is roughly the boundaries of the Bolt Creek Fire to the best of their knowledge currently.  It looks like it has jumped the power pole lines and in one area, across US 2.  It may have also jumped the Skykomish River??  I hope what this is showing isn't true... but we may have lost the towns of Grotto and Baring. :( 

As winds shift, Skykomish isn't out of the risk zone either. 

Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 12.48.57 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 12.49.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 12.49.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 12.50.10 AM.png

• Sad 3

4 hours ago, NWbyNW said:

What the actual HECK.  I am standing here watching fireworks go off at the Tulalip Indian Reservation. And not just a few, but several now for the past five minutes. Do they want to start a fire?  What the heck?  Do the people firing off fireworks not realize the situation going on?

People were popping off a whole ton of fireworks in Tacoma near the dome when I was headed home from picking up food. Around 9:30 earlier. Looked like it was being fired from the streets and it had some sophistication to it, like a 4th of July show. It was unbelievable. 

• scream 1

𝘐𝘯 𝘮𝘺 𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘭𝘦𝘴𝘴 𝘥𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘮𝘴,

𝘐 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘰𝘸𝘯.

𝘗𝘶𝘺𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘶𝘱.

Reddit: HotlineMaestro

60F and still really smoky out there.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope