Jump to content
The Weather Forums

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, TacomaWx said:

Got a new job at the Fred meyer distribution center today in the deli area…so I’ll be getting my fair share of cold in if this winter busts. Super excited to move onto a better job. It’s low elevation in the swamp though :( 

I've always heard working for Freddie's was worse than Amazon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

Horrible.    I was talking to a co-worker yesterday who lives in Cape Coral and he was getting pretty worried.   I hope people have heeded the warnings and got out of the way.   

That area saw a huge influx of people the past few years with remote work and other factors.

  • Sad 1

A forum for the end of the world.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Strange. Isn’t Freddie’s mostly unionized?

It’s unionized. My buddy works there and likes it. It’s hard work but it pays well. 

  • Like 2

22-23 cold season stats

Coldest max-25

Coldest min-19

Sub 40 highs-9

Sub 32 highs-2

Sub 32 lows-19

Total snowfall-6.0” 

Monthly rainfall-2.88”

Wet season rainfall-16.37”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

It’s unionized. My buddy works there and likes it. It’s hard work but it pays well. 

Gotta be more opportunities to do different things than working in the store. Sounds like something to be excited about. Go make the most of it and if you don’t like it take the experience gained and go do something else. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, T-Town said:

Gotta be more opportunities to do different things than working in the store. Sounds like something to be excited about. Go make the most of it and if you don’t like it take the experience gained and go do something else. 

Yeah I got very burnt out working at the stevens street store. So much theft and homeless problems. The final straw for me was some crazy guy was following me around the store threatening to kill me and came back several times harassing me. Store security did absolutely did nothing about it either I won’t miss dealing with customers. 

  • Like 1
  • scream 1

22-23 cold season stats

Coldest max-25

Coldest min-19

Sub 40 highs-9

Sub 32 highs-2

Sub 32 lows-19

Total snowfall-6.0” 

Monthly rainfall-2.88”

Wet season rainfall-16.37”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Crazy stat: PDX has seen 100 consecutive days with a high of 70 or greater, beating the record of 96 set last year, which beat the record of 92 set in 2017. Seven of the top eight 70+ streaks have been set since 2012.

Decent chance of a sub 70 high today or tomorrow, but if not the streak could get truly absurd (if it isn't already).

t3INqFs.png

  • Like 4
  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Canadian north is seeing a heatwave currently too.  Interesting that some of the old records from western Canada right now are from 1949. 
 

Weather summary
for the Northwest Territories
issued by Environment Canada
at 2:18 a.m. MDT Wednesday 28 September 2022.

Discussion.

Late season warmth brought several new temperature records to the 
Northwest Territories on Tuesday. 

The following areas set a daily maximum temperature record on 
September 27, 2022 (temperature values given in degrees Celsius): 

Fort Providence Area 
New record of 25.5 
Old record of 22.2 set in 1949 
Records in this area have been kept since 1943 

Fort Smith Area 
New record of 26.8 
Old record of 24.4 set in 1976 
Records in this area have been kept since 1913 

Hay River Area 
New record of 27.6 
Old record of 26.1 set in 1949 
Records in this area have been kept since 1893 

Yellowknife Area 
New record of 22.3 
Old record of 17.7 set in 2001 
Records in this area have been kept since 1942 

 

  • Excited 1
  • Snow 2
  • scream 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Staff
11 minutes ago, ShawniganLake said:

Jim succeeded at destroying another potential trough. 

He is trying though.   Unfortunately he posted a map which I guess is still considered a jinx by nature.    Duly noted.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Staff

In a meeting now and my co-worker who lives in Fort Meyers is connected and working while he says the wind is blowing at 115 mph in his backyard.    Crazy.  

  • Snow 1
  • Windy 2
  • scream 3

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not to lead conversation away, but Hurricane Ian made landfall as Category 4 (it was Category 5 off the coast).  150mph winds in places.  The eye is north of Cape Coral.  Here is the latest satellite from about ten minutes ago.  I added the precipitation layer.  Storm surge is really bad for these western coast communities as the water is roaring back in as the winds howl. 

 

 

 

Screen Shot 2022-09-28 at 2.03.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-28 at 2.03.27 PM.png

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • scream 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

12Z ECMWF looks even warmer and drier than its 00Z run for next week... surprising to no one. 

I'm really starting to wonder if we are going to enter drought and have a very dry first half of winter.  I hope not, but I am feeling that (with zero evidence to back it up!) lol! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really weird today.  There was fairly significant rain where I work in Kent, and yet I came home to bone dry conditions.  Didn't even scrape up .01 here.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

 

Winter 2022-23 stats

 

Total Snowfall = 7.5"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 10

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.4"

Coldest Low = 17

Lows 32 or below = 43

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 2

Highs 40 or below = 17

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Really weird today.  There was fairly significant rain where I work in Kent, and yet I came home to bone dry conditions.  Didn't even scrape up .01 here.

Here we had a few hundreths of rain in the morning probably and now it's mostly sunny. Seems like the rain will be back soon though. I'm really hoping for a pattern change

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, NWbyNW said:

Not to lead conversation away, but Hurricane Ian made landfall as Category 4 (it was Category 5 off the coast).  150mph winds in places.  The eye is north of Cape Coral.  Here is the latest satellite from about ten minutes ago.  I added the precipitation layer.  Storm surge is really bad for these western coast communities as the water is roaring back in as the winds howl. 

I heard the pressure was so low that the hurricane literally sucked water out of the bays north of the storm.

  • scream 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

 

Winter 2022-23 stats

 

Total Snowfall = 7.5"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 10

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.4"

Coldest Low = 17

Lows 32 or below = 43

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 2

Highs 40 or below = 17

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Doiinko said:

Here we had a few hundreths of rain in the morning probably and now it's mostly sunny. Seems like the rain will be back soon though. I'm really hoping for a pattern change

Yeah....this is just a one off this time.

It was disappointing to see the EPS less hopeful than the 0z was.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

 

Winter 2022-23 stats

 

Total Snowfall = 7.5"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 10

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.4"

Coldest Low = 17

Lows 32 or below = 43

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 2

Highs 40 or below = 17

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Staff
2 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I heard the pressure was so low that the hurricane literally sucked water out of the bays north of the storm.

I posted a pic here earlier of this happening in Tampa Bay.

tampa.png

  • Like 1
  • scream 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ShawniganLake said:

The Canadian north is seeing a heatwave currently too.  Interesting that some of the old records from western Canada right now are from 1949. 
 

Weather summary
for the Northwest Territories
issued by Environment Canada
at 2:18 a.m. MDT Wednesday 28 September 2022.

Discussion.

Late season warmth brought several new temperature records to the 
Northwest Territories on Tuesday. 

The following areas set a daily maximum temperature record on 
September 27, 2022 (temperature values given in degrees Celsius): 

Fort Providence Area 
New record of 25.5 
Old record of 22.2 set in 1949 
Records in this area have been kept since 1943 

Fort Smith Area 
New record of 26.8 
Old record of 24.4 set in 1976 
Records in this area have been kept since 1913 

Hay River Area 
New record of 27.6 
Old record of 26.1 set in 1949 
Records in this area have been kept since 1893 

Yellowknife Area 
New record of 22.3 
Old record of 17.7 set in 2001 
Records in this area have been kept since 1942 

 

Kind of weird seeing both 1949 and 1976 there.  Two of the most extreme blocking episodes of the 20th century happened in the following winters.

  • Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

 

Winter 2022-23 stats

 

Total Snowfall = 7.5"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 10

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.4"

Coldest Low = 17

Lows 32 or below = 43

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 2

Highs 40 or below = 17

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I posted a pic here earlier of this happening in Tampa Bay.

tampa.png

Almost like what happens before a tsunami.

  • Like 1
  • scream 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

 

Winter 2022-23 stats

 

Total Snowfall = 7.5"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 10

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.4"

Coldest Low = 17

Lows 32 or below = 43

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 2

Highs 40 or below = 17

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For those that are dying to see some eye candy at least.  This is the EPS control so take with a grain of salt.

1665576000-vBs4rBFaZ0k.png

  • Like 3
  • Excited 1
  • lol 1
  • Snow 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

 

Winter 2022-23 stats

 

Total Snowfall = 7.5"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 10

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.4"

Coldest Low = 17

Lows 32 or below = 43

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 2

Highs 40 or below = 17

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Staff
1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

Almost like what happens before a tsunami.

I saw other videos online of it also happening before Charley in 2004... which took almost the exact same track.

 

800px-Charley_2004_track.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Staff
1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

For those that are dying to see some eye candy at least.  This is the EPS control so take with a grain of salt.

1665576000-vBs4rBFaZ0k.png

Seems like every other control run for the last 6 weeks has gone crazy after 240 hours.   Never actually happens though.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, RentonHillTC said:

fun while it lasted

image.thumb.png.92e692bc35ca832df2378df6c10b99b1.png

That run may have been the highlight for this season!

Death To Warm Anomalies!

 

Winter 2022-23 stats

 

Total Snowfall = 7.5"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 10

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.4"

Coldest Low = 17

Lows 32 or below = 43

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 2

Highs 40 or below = 17

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Front Ranger said:

That palm tree on the left bites the dust starting around 1:23.

Did anyone else notice the morons in the water.  Talk about colossally stupid!

Death To Warm Anomalies!

 

Winter 2022-23 stats

 

Total Snowfall = 7.5"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 10

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.4"

Coldest Low = 17

Lows 32 or below = 43

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 2

Highs 40 or below = 17

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, T-Town said:

Done. I’d like to thank my OCD for helping me prioritize the puzzle over eating, sleeping, working, family commitments…. Couldn’t have done it without you. 

92FD9042-F061-4693-B928-07B8EEC54017.jpeg

Probably why I don't do puzzles.... 😆

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ShawniganLake said:

Jim succeeded at destroying another potential trough. 

I didn't say anything about it last night.  Somebody requested me to post the map.  I made no comment.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

 

Winter 2022-23 stats

 

Total Snowfall = 7.5"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 10

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.4"

Coldest Low = 17

Lows 32 or below = 43

Highs 32 or below = 2

Lows 20 or below = 2

Highs 40 or below = 17

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Phil unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...