East/Gulf Coast Weather 2016

Phil

We're at 95/75, H/I 107 here as of 2pm. Sweatbatth.

Still not on par with the 100+/80+ days in the 2010-12 years, however. Mid-90s are typical. August is typically the nastiest month here, though, and given forcing/Niña climo, might start seeing some very nasty days towards early/mid-August.

Currently 99/73, H/I 110, in the shade nonetheless. Ties our hottest day from last summer (temp/dew of 99/83 back in early September). Though dewpoints were higher then, as we haven't had many super-dewpoint days this summer as of yet.

DCA up to 99/72...so close.

Also seeing heat indices surpassing 110 at multiple stations within the DC metro.

Looks like DCA's high was 98 degrees today. I think Monday has a better shot at 100, as tomorrow looks a bit cooler despite lower dewpoints.

Maxed out at 99 degrees here also, so the 100+ drought lives to see another day. A few urban areas surpassed 100 degrees today, but the vast majority of the region fell short.

Phil, I'm loving your sky pics!

Lately, Texas weather is as interesting as 50 miles of west Texas highway.

In the 100's and who cares if it's 101 vs. 103 ! It's hot, cloudless, miserable, and boring.

Monday we have a 40% chance of rain but a high of 96 so that should be a steam bath.

No ones committing to the strength of the storms however, but I could welcome a heavy downpour.

My God, how'd we ever survive this without A/C ?

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Phil, I'm loving your sky pics!

Lately, Texas weather is as interesting as 50 miles of west Texas highway.

In the 100's and who cares if it's 101 vs. 103 ! It's hot, cloudless, miserable, and boring.

Monday we have a 40% chance of rain but a high of 96 so that should be a steam bath.

No ones committing to the strength of the storms however, but I could welcome a heavy downpour.

My God, how'd we ever survive this without A/C ?

Thanks, definitely the season for giant marshmallow clouds.

We're entering the "dog days" of summer now. Perpetual heat and humidity, very little wind, and afternoon convection is basically climo from now through early September, with August typically being "nastiest" month. I'm leaving town August 7th for a reason, haha.

I call it sleepy summer, mostly because the loud bugs make it difficult to sleep, and the heat/humidity drive everyone into a state of lethargy and cabin fever. Maybe I'll take a video of the ruckus tonight. You can hear the katydids and robust coneheads from every corner of the house.

We just close the house and turn on the a/c ! Here the night bugs get very noisy as well. And the Mockingbird sing alllll night ! So, we shut the place up and turn on a noisy fan.

Where you headed ? My husband get to go up to Wyoming but I have to stay here and hold the fort, do a rewrite of the book that's due to the formatter Sept. 1. Wyoming mountains sound nice right now.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

Nasty out there, drenched just walking from the car to the house.

Currently 83/79 here, same @ DCA.

Feels much nicer today with dewpoints in the mid-60s, relatively speaking.

Currently 97/65, H/I 100. I'd prefer this over those gross 90/75 type days.

So much for dry air, dewpoints surging this evening under S/SE flow. Currently 88/75, feels worse than it did at 97/65 this afternoon.

iPhone can't capture just how loud these Katydids are. Literally impossible to sleep sometimes.

Beautiful lightning show w/ the storms to the west.

The cells have weakend then reformed weakend reformed which has been the pattern for tonight activity the cell that just left me has repulsed on the eastern shore also activity south of Annapolis.big storm now south of Annapolis that batch has really grown over the last 10 to 15 min also another cell has went up near Martinsburg.

• Like 2

You should be getting quite a light show to you're east phil big batch south of Annapolis which is now severe weather warned in Calvert county.

Yeah, got a great video of it. Beautiful display of flashbulb lightning.

Nasty humid out there, 81/80 with a thick haze. Similar conditions @ DCA, 82/79 there.

Felt like I was swimming to my car. Can't turn the AC on without all the windows fogging up.

Brutal today, a bunch of stations recording heat indices at/above above 115 degrees as of 1pm..80 degree dewpoint @ DCA late this morning.

Currently 100/76 here, H/I 116, while 97/77 @ DCA, H/I 113.

DCA now reads 99/77, H/I 115. Can they crack 100?

First 100+ day IMBY since 2012, though we've hit 99 degrees in each of the years since so I guess it's not a huge difference. Still nothing like the 105/80+ afternoons in the 2010-12 era, but torrid and debilitating nonetheless.

Looks like BWI just hit 100 degrees, first time since 2012. If it's going to be this hot, might as well go for broke.

The Potomac River is 93 degrees right now. No wonder there are so many 78-80 degree dewpoints this afternoon despite the stiff wind.

I have a feeling most of the area along/east of the fall line will observe 80+ dewpoints this evening/overnight.

94* ...partly cloudy

humidity 40%

dewpoint 66*

Fair chance we'll see a brief thunderstorm today and chances exist all week especially Thursday.

These on the radar right now aren't large enough to do us any good except raise the humidity.

Yeah, was another good one last night. Just too humid for me to head out and record it, though.

Currently 95/70 here, H/I 101, DCA at 96/71, H/I 103.

Another not-so-nice day here.

Afternoon temp/dew of 97/70, though we've cooled to a more tolerable 90/70 as of 7pm. Also need rain badly, as the soil is cracking, leaves dropping, etc. Unfortunately, we have to rely on hit-or-miss thunderstorms for 90% of our rainfall through the next 7+ weeks, or a tropical storm/hurricane, which usually do more harm than good either via widespread wind/tree damage and/or flooding rains.

Years like 2011 stick out. Just a brutal summer, then hurricane Irene comes in and destroys many of the stressed trees. This is followed by tropical storm Lee in September, which dumps over a foot of rain in 24hrs, flooding out neighborhoods and damaging trees with weakened/compromised root systems after hurricane Irene, as well as the hot summer that preceded.

We had a boring little front saunter through this evening and the radar looked like it wouldn't deliver very much in the way of rain.

As it approached my area however it suddenly intensified and gave us .25" of rain and some nice thunder and lightning.

Miracles never cease.

They're forecasting another chance Wednesday.

Temperature dropped 15*

Currently 79*

Slowly clearing

Humidity 91%

Dew point 77

• Like 1

Last minute spike to 98/70 on a small SW wind burst as I was outside working. Figures.

Now down to 94/67 just as I head indoors.

We have thunderstorms bearing down on us again tonight. They're scattered but we'll take them. Thunder being heard and a storm just north of me. Nice to see this time of year.

93*..........feels like 102*

Dew point 70

Humidity before the storm 45%.

Overcast.