April 2016 Observation and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Tyler Mode

It would be nice to have a bit more rain this May, the drought last year killed a bunch of trees/shrubs at my parents place. I figured it was just Victoria that was running low this year, but it doesn't sound like there was much more up there either. Looks like we could break 20C+ each of the next three days. Crazy that it's snowing down in Denver, my brother ended up getting stuck at the airport down there.

Yep, already lawn watering season here. I just noticed that mine needs a good soaking, starting to brown in places. Definitely some dead trees and shrubs around here from last summer. We went to stage 4 watering restrictions in July. No lawn watering and 2 hours of hand watering only. Pretty tough for people with large gardens to water everything by hand in 2 hours, if you have the time. Currently up to 20C here today.

Not so much. But thats OK... you tried. :lol:

Forcing (convection) in that location has down stream implications in the mid latitudes. MJO in the Maritime during the winter often results in Aluetian height rises / West coast troughing. With upward motion over the Indian Ocean / Maritime, low level easterlies will initiate the beginning of this Nina.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/ensocycle/djfschem_lanina.gif

• Like 1

Forcing (convection) in that location has down stream implications in the mid latitudes. MJO in the Maritime during the winter often results in Aluetian height rises / West coast troughing. With upward motion over the Indian Ocean / Maritime, low level easterlies will initiate the beginning of this Nina.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/ensocycle/djfschem_lanina.gif

D**n, you're good. The English language just doesn't get along with my thought process most of the time.

• Like 1

D**n, you're good. The English language just doesn't get along with my thought process most of the time.

Yeah... the visual helps a great deal.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

You are a bit late to that conversation, best advice, go back to late March in this topic and start reading.

Naw, I'm good....I can't stand sifting through info. I just rather ask and if I don't get the answer I want I forget about it and move on. Thanks though. 

Looking ahead into next week

• Monday appears to be warmest day with ~85 PDX and ~80 SEA.
  • PDX may see 3 or 4 days of 80+ Sunday-Wednesday
  • Increasing potential for convection Cascades eastward...with potential for drift into the lowlands as flow initially is SE backing to E then NE during the Wednesday-Saturday timeframe. This in response to a broad ULL settling into California.
  • 6-10 day period showing a +6.5 F temp departure at PDX
  • 11-15 day period remaining warm with a +3 to +5 departure across the PNW. Split-flow sending most of the energy into California/Great Basin. Given the pattern a periodic threat of convection at least Cascades eastward.

This ended up being a half-decent forecast in the 11-15 timeframe.

The Pacific Northwest: Where storms go to die.