October 2022 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Had about 0.25" last night as the cold front came through.  We have been really lucky around here to get rains in the last month that many in the state have missed.  My grass is still green and lush as I mowed it yesterday.  Leaves are really turning and falling fast.  The winds of the next few days will bring many down.  Looks like several nights of frost or freeze conditions coming up early next week according to NWS Hastings.  The lowest we have gotten so far is 34 degrees.  Many north and east of here have already had a frost or freeze last weekend.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Iceresistance said:

@Andie

A heavy rainfall event is possible for most of Central and Southern Texas in the next 5-8 Days. Some locations could have up to 3-5 inches locally. Northern Texas is currently likely to get 1-3 inches of rain. 

Hope you’re right here. We’re very dry, the Trinity River isn’t even flowing through Ft Worth.  Signs of serious drought all around.  

• Like 2

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Really lucked out with this system.  most models showed us getting nothing yesterday, but a line blew up right over my backyard and most areas in marion and CR have .75" with more knocking on the door.  I'm only at .35" but ill take it.  

• Like 4

I haven't had a t'storm in 5 weeks, lets get some action today! 

day1otlk_1300.gif

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

A line of storms popped in the area early this morning.  The far southeast part of the city got an inch of rain.  The far nw barely got wet.  I got 0.23".  It was nice to hear thunder and rain on the roof again.  Models are bone dry again for the next 1-2 weeks.

• Like 3

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

7 hours ago, Andie said:

Hope you’re right here. We’re very dry, the Trinity River isn’t even flowing through Ft Worth.  Signs of serious drought all around.  

WPC has trended wetter, at least .5 inches except in the Northern Texas Panhandle, and at least 1 inch except the Texas Panhandle

• Like 2

Never say Never with Weather, because anything is possible!

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted

Had my first hailstorm of the year! Wasn't very big it looks like the northwestern parts of town could have had bigger stones. 1/2" size here.

Some good lightning and booms too.

KJKL_loop.gif

• Like 3
  • Storm 3
  • scream 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

3/26, 

South Nashville in a tornado warning? 🌪️

KOHX_loop.gif

• Storm 1
  • scream 2

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

3/26, 

31 minutes ago, Timmy Supercell said:

Had my first hailstorm of the year! Wasn't very big it looks like the northwestern parts of town could have had bigger stones. 1/2" size here.

KJKL_loop.gif

My area is in line for some t'stms tanite as well, but nothing severe, maybe strong. Also, we need the rain here. It has been very dry.

• Like 2

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

94 today.  Likely our last high day for a good while. Sunday we should get thunderstorms and 79*   Much needed.  Some rivers bone dry.

I was outside abit today and the heat and pain meds I have to be on right now made me ill. Really ready to get this nonsense over with.   

Most of our temps after Sunday will be  in the 70’s/high 60’s. A really nice change. Fall !!🍂🍁

• Like 3

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

14 minutes ago, Andie said:

94 today.  Likely our last high day for a good while. Sunday we should get thunderstorms and 79*   Much needed.  Some rivers bone dry.

I was outside abit today and the heat and pain meds I have to be on right now made me ill. Really ready to get this nonsense over with.   

Most of our temps after Sunday will be  in the 70’s/high 60’s. A really nice change. Fall !!🍂🍁

Same here, used to be the possibility of 50s as highs. 

15 minutes ago, Iceresistance said:

Same here, used to be the possibility of 50s as highs. 

36 minutes ago, Andie said:

Going to be a fast jump right into fall for us on the south end here. I'll take it. 

Most of the grass is dead already and the leaves are early some because of heat stress/drought stress. 

Good rain and hail this morning. Always an old Ozarks sign of cold to come in October.

• Like 3

Let the games begin !!!!  😆

PHX topped out at balmy 95F yesterday and will be about the same today and tomorrow before our next system comes off the PAC ocean over the weekend.  You have no idea how much I'm enjoying this pattern evolve over here.  It's not often, esp in recent years, that storms come off the PAC this far south into the So Cal/4 Corners region.  IMHO, this is a massive clue that the new LRC is showing itself.  As I have opined, this Split Flow pattern is going to produce some interesting storm systems this Winter.

1.png

Not sure if ya'll can read this Blog bc it is a great read and exactly what I have been thinking about over the past week or so when I saw this pattern in the modeling.

https://blog.weather.us/ever-wonder-or-hear-of-what-a-split-flow-is/

• Like 2

Dang, 6 tornado reports near the MKE area yesterday...talk about an amped up atmosphere!  

image.gif

This massive ULL spinning up over the GL's is going to produce some fascinating weather for mid-OCT.  1st Flakes for MN/N WI peeps later tomorrow?  Lake Effect Snow is likely to accumulate in the lake belts of the U.P. and the Western Shores of MI Mon-Tue.  Hard Freeze for the MW peeps early next week?  The interesting thing about this system is how long it takes to track out of the GL's region and lobes of energy rotate around it.  Plenty of chances of instability showers/storms from this scenario.

image.png

Both Tue/Wed am are looking a Wee bit chilly for the MW folks...

5.png

6.png

• Like 5

North Texas will welcome a 60% chance of rain and a high of 79 on Sunday.  

Really excited about it. Real rain!  
Texas and Oklahoma have been out of the loop this year when it comes to regular rain.

Our rivers are not flowing or are at a trickle.  Speaks a great deal to ground water levels.  
Bring it on!!

• Storm 1
  • Rain 1

Welcome to Thursday the 13th Yesterday here at Grand Rapids the official H/L was 69/44. At the airport there was 0.54” of rain fall and there was a reported 5% of possible sunshine. The sun did come out here just before the 1st wave of rain came in. In MBY I recorded 0.49” of rain fall. So far the overnight low here in MBY is the current temperature of 45. For today the average H/L is now down to 62/43 the record high of 87 was set in 1975 and the record low of 24 was set in 1993. The record snow fall is 0.1” in 2006.  Last year on this date the H/L was 70/58.

• Like 2

Showers today with the cold front passage. Rainfall amounts will average between 0.50" to 1.00" across Chester County. Following this front a beautiful autumnal weekend in store. With temps a little below normal tomorrow and near normal on Saturday. Another cold front passes on Monday with the chilliest weather so far this season on the way. Temps on Tuesday may not get out of the 40's in some of the higher spots across the county. Many spots could see their 1st freezing temps by Wednesday morning.
The record high for today is 87 degrees from 1957. The record low is 27 degrees in 1906. The daily rainfall record is 2.03" from 1927.
image.png.c0079e8a6f6130b237154b74f9e98fad.png
  • Like 1

All historical weather data analytics posted by me is specifically for the climate of Chester County PA.  We continually analyze the actual raw non-adjusted NWS certified Coop observed climate data for Chester County.  There have been no post observation adjustments to any of the detailed analytics. All data is sourced from trained NWS observers and spotters. The life blood of science is to challenge what is thought to be known. The concept that climate change etc. is somehow “settled science” describes a religion - a belief system that does not welcome challenges. We should all continue to challenge science!    Snow Totals 2023/24 = 24.5" -  11/28 (0.3") / 12/7 (0.8") / 12/11 (0.8") / 1/6 (2.0") / 1/16 (2.8") / 1/19 (4.5") / 2/13 (10.5") / 2/17 (2.8")

Average Chester County PA Snow at elevations over 660 FT ASL (1983-Present) = 35.9" Snow totals by season: 2022/23 (2.7") /2021/22 (20.5")  2020/21 snow  (52.2") /  2019/20 snow (5.8" )/ 2018/19 snow (35.1" )/ 2017/18 snow (58.5") / 2016/17 snow (24.0")/ 2015/16 snow (40.8")/ 2014/15 snow = (55.3") /2013/14 snow (80.0").

Check out the historical Western Chester County PA website at https://www.chescowx.com.  Follow me on twitter at https://twitter.com/ChescoWx and join us on the #1 social media source for all things Chester County weather on the Chester County Weather Page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/chescowx

National Weather Service  SKYWARN® Trained Spotter CHPA-174

16 hours ago, Timmy Supercell said:

KJKL_loop.gif

1" inch hail reported in Coal Grove, OH from that storm.

That's only a few miles from here. That was a good call assuming others had larger hail. It looked pretty good on radar.

• Like 2

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

3/26, 

I might get a high in the upper 40's coming up early next week. Chilly! 

• Like 4
  • Snow 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

3/26, 

Currently 76 at 1 pm. 
Clear, gorgeous day! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, westMJim said:

Maybe you mentioned if so I do not recall. But how long are you going to stay Phoenix? It seems like you have been out there for a long time this year.

I'm thinking another couple weeks or so...it'll be about that time to get into Fall and Winter mode!  The weather has been quite nice and will get even better next week.  I've noticed a lot more foot traffic at the stores and on the roadwyas have gotten a lot busier over the last week.  All the snow birds out east are making their ways into the valley.  We have many folks that are from the midwest that live in my complex half the year (WI/IL/IA).  There are a few that moved from the East Coast ( NY and MA).

• Like 3

It's darn cold today, easily the coldest day of the season so far.  It's in the mid 40s with a strong wind (wind chill 38º).

• Like 1
  • Windy 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

11 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

It's darn cold today, easily the coldest day of the season so far.  It's in the mid 40s with a strong wind (wind chill 38º).

I'll take that over 110s during the summer!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

Here’s a video from my backyard of the storm we had Tuesday night 

IMG_3439.MOV

I can't see the video, can you upload it to YouTube if you don't mind to?

It looks like Toms call for a warm up to end the month will happen.  The MJO is moving into phase 6 and may stay there for awhile.  Phase 6 is not only warm in Oct but also dry in the central part of the country.  We have great blocking setting up and other good teleconnections but we are missing the most important ingredient to have a snowy winter and that is storms. 

JMAN.png

0d40d5_cbde3f79ad6e4236bf72bf0b012bdbcd~mv2.png

• Sad 1