October 2022 PNW weather Discussion. + Ultimate Leg Reveal Extravaganza

TacomaWx

7 hours ago, ShawniganLake said:
Weather summary
for British Columbia
issued by Environment Canada
at 12:07 a.m. PDT Sunday 2 October 2022.

Discussion.

A ridge of high pressure brought another warm autumn day. 

The following areas set a daily maximum temperature record on 
October 1, 2022 (temperature values given in degrees Celsius): 

Cache Creek Area (Ashcroft) 
New record of 26.6 
Old record of 26.3 set in 2012 
Records in this area have been kept since 1944 

Clearwater Area (Clearwater Auto) 
New record of 24.8 
Old record of 23.9 set in 1923 
Records in this area have been kept since 1913 

Comox Area (Comox A) 
New record of 23.0 
Old record of 22.9 set in 1992 
Records in this area have been kept since 1914 

Courtenay Area (Comox A) 
New record of 23.0 
Old record of 22.9 set in 1992 
Records in this area have been kept since 1914 

Hope Area (Hope Airport) 
New record of 28.8 
Old record of 27.7 set in 1987 
Records in this area have been kept since 1936 

Lytton Area (Lytton RCS) 
New record of 27.3 
Old record of 26.9 set in 2003 
Records in this area have been kept since 1921 

Merritt Area (Merritt) 
New record of 27.9 
Old record of 27.8 set in 1975 
Records in this area have been kept since 1918 

Port Alberni Area (Port Alberni (AUT)) 
New record of 28.0 
Old record of 26.5 set in 1987 
Records in this area have been kept since 1900 

Revelstoke Area (Revelstoke Airport Auto) 
New record of 23.1 
Old record of 22.8 set in 2003 
Records in this area have been kept since 1898 

No 30’s anymore. I guess that’s a sign of progress.

It's called clown range for a reason.

3 hours ago, Cloud said:

Made it back home today and looking at the models.. bruh... wtf?!

qpf_acc.us_state_wa.png

qpf_acc.us_state_or.png

I’m in the 1st shade of grey! 

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

56 minutes ago, Kayla said:

Looks like Bozeman ended up with 23.06" of precipitation for the water year which is a bit above the average of 20". 

Had a 51/45 day here yesterday with just 0.06" of rainfall. Already up to 0.42" on the day today though and it's still raining. currently 45F.

It has been another really beneficial rainfall, especially for Central Montana.

Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 8.07.23 AM.png

SEA ended the water year with 45.48 inches which is +6.14 compared to normal.    

Ending up much wetter than normal... despite setting records for the warmest and driest July - September period ever and a summer which also set a record the longest streak of 90+ degree days and the most 90+ days in total.  

When I was looking up the updated SEA average annual rainfall (which is higher than the long term average)... I found this chart which shows how the average temps changed by month with the 1991-2020 averages and its not correct to say that its really only summer that is has been getting warmer.    Its probably more accurate to say that the January - March period has been warming more slowly.   The increase in average temps was pretty consistent from April - December and not just focused on summer.

E0pnS12UcAIp-Vm.jpg

• Like 5

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

SEA ended the water year with 45.48 inches which is +6.14 compared to normal.    

Ending up much wetter than normal... despite setting records for the warmest and driest July - September period ever and a summer which also set a record the longest streak of 90+ degree days and the most 90+ days in total.  

When I was looking up the updated SEA average annual rainfall (which is higher than the long term average)... I found this chart which shows how the average temps changed by month with the 1991-2020 averages and its not correct to say that its really only summer that is has been getting warmer.    Its probably more accurate to say that the January - March period has been warming more slowly.   The increase in average temps was pretty consistent from April - December and not just focused on summer.

E0pnS12UcAIp-Vm.jpg

Great find! Although there is really only one particular member that has been saying that only the summers have been warming. Do you have the link for that chart?

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

9 minutes ago, Kayla said:

Great find! Although there is really only one particular member that has been saying that only the summers have been warming. Do you have the link for that chart?

It was in a Seattle Weather Blog tweet from last year...

sea rain ag.png

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

6 minutes ago, SnowWillarrive said:

I wonder if will ever see rain again 

That is what I've been wondering in Oklahoma, I haven't seen at least 1/4 inch of rain in a month. 

• Sad 1

Never say Never with Weather, because anything is possible!

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted

2 minutes ago, Joshua Lake Oswego said:

No below normal days the whole month. Sounds right to me. 65 out of the last 70 days including today have been above normal. Let’s go for 95 out of 100. 

image.png.f05b88d884363ea6630d245237ea98cb.png

That looks ridiculously wet compared to the likely reality based on the EPS.

06Z GEFS has a massive warm blob in SW Canada right through day 16. That GOA trough doesn’t wanna move.

• Like 1

The globe is on fire.

• Sad 2

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Some indication the mass circulation could be affected by the huge load of H2O in the stratosphere. Need to see how things develop heading into the winter, but I now believe it will indeed prove highly consequential.

• scream 2

Just now, Phil said:

Some indication the mass circulation could be affected by the huge load of H2O in the stratosphere. Need to see how things develop heading into the winter, but I now believe it will indeed prove highly consequential.

I’m sure it will be a convenient scapegoat whatever happens 

• Like 2

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

Even though the La Niña is evident in the big picture NH pattern, across the CONUS it actually does resemble El Niño to some extent.

The SW Canada warmth and cool troughing in the SE US is the canonical +ENSO pattern. Most of the *real* arctic cold pool is developing on Putin’s side of the pole.

Also one of the earliest Siberian high descents I can recall upcoming this week.

In the winter this would disrupt the PV and send a massive block into AK or Greenland. But it’s useless at this time of year.

7 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I’m sure it will be a convenient scapegoat whatever happens 

Probably. But given the importance of the stratosphere in seasonal/subseasonal variability, the scapegoating may prove correct.

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Probably. But given the importance of the stratosphere in seasonal/subseasonal variability, the scapegoating may prove correct.

It may affect things but I feel like we don’t know enough at this stage to tease out what it could be affecting and what is just normal climate noise/AGW.

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

1 minute ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

It may affect things but I feel like we don’t know enough at this stage to tease out what it could be affecting and what is just normal climate noise/AGW.

Agreed. The pattern right now can’t be demonstrably linked to the H2O/strat. At least not beyond the hypothetical.

I’d look towards mid/late winter for the more clearcut effects.

• Popcorn 1

38 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Colors are great higher up but lower town in the woods most of the understory and vine maple were drying up and turning brown, sadly.

It took me a second to realize that the leaves dropping from the maples werent the typica big yellow fall ones. They were sad curly brown ones. 

• Sick 1

30 minutes ago, Phil said:

Even though the La Niña is evident in the big picture NH pattern, across the CONUS it actually does resemble El Niño to some extent.

The SW Canada warmth and cool troughing in the SE US is the canonical +ENSO pattern. Most of the *real* arctic cold pool is developing on Putin’s side of the pole.

Is that part of Roundys analysis?? Like how the winter develops on our side depends if Siberia gets early snow cover or not or somethjng

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RentonHillTC said:

Is that part of Roundys analysis?? Like how the winter develops on our side depends if Siberia gets early snow cover or not or somethjng

I think you mean Judah Cohen? Aka Dr. SnowSweater.

15 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Low of 52 this morning pretty smoky as well the worst it’s been in several days. 

Clear of smoke here, it hasn't been bad since the east wind event but I could smell smoke one or two times. Not as bad as up there though.

6 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

No wind in Ellensburg again. Has not lived up to expectations so far.

Go back in the spring, you will find plenty of it! 

• Windy 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

15 hours ago, snow_wizard said:

Some incredibly interesting stuff happened in the late 1920s through early 1940s that offers a lot of hope going forward.  1929 and 1936 both featured a ridiculously dry October / November with 1929 reaching 80 in Landsburg on October 23.  Both years featured abnormally cold mins in November followed by a very wet December and then epic cold Januarys.  1942 featured a very dry September / October (up until Oct 29th). Followed by very wet weather from the very end of Oct through November, a typical December, and then extreme blocking and deep cold in January.  We'll see if this year takes a similar path.  The theme of these kinds of seasons seems to be cold holding off until the heart of the winter.

I do like the 88-89 comparison.  not buying too much into analogs close to 100 years old

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Nina became a pseudo Nino?