October 2022 PNW weather Discussion. + Ultimate Leg Reveal Extravaganza

TacomaWx

3 minutes ago, JSnowlin said:

Not horrible, not great. I won't be satisfied until 850's are colder than -16C and 925's are colder than -12C

That is really impressive for this early.  The amount of cold air in play for this early is amazing.

• Like 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just now, Kolk1604 said:

It's getting there. 

925mb temps are -4 at the end of the run.  That is there.  We need to remember how early this is.

• Like 1
  • Shivering 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The week ahead is likely to be very wet, with one or perhaps two separate atmospheric river events. What's unknown is whether or not the cold, arctic air will dig south into WA/OR, or hang up in southern BC. All models develop an Aleutian ridge just after Day 4 which then slowly shifts eastward into western Alaska by Day 6-7. It all depends on the orientation and degree of tilt of that blocking high. The next two days I think that picture will become a bit more clear.

• Like 4

I'd rather have Thanksgiving snow than Veterans' Day snow. 

Holiday snow preference: 

1. Christmas (Eve or Day)

2. New Year's (Eve or Day)

3. Boxing Day

4. President's Day

5. MLK Day

6. Valentine's Day

7. Thanksgiving (actual day or weekend)

8. Lunar New Year

9. St. Patrick's Day

10. April Fools' Day

Honorable Mentions:

Veterans' Day, Fat Tuesday, Easter, and Halloween

Did I miss any? Did not pick Hannukah because it is 8 days so not sure which day to pick.

• Like 5
  • Snow 1

1 minute ago, CliffMassYelledAtMe said:

Holiday snow preference: 

3. Boxing Day

4. President's Day

5. MLK Day

6. Valentine's Day

8. Lunar New Year

9. St. Patrick's Day

10. April Fools' Day

Honorable Mentions:

Did I miss any? Did not pick Hannukah because it is 8 days so not sure which day to pick.

4th of July? I have a thing for underdogs. 

• Like 1

195572.png?1673757432

Even accounting for the kuchera ratio it still looks like the east puget sound lowlands might get a decent amount of snow but I feel like part of that is due to the terrain bleed. I feel like the terrain bleed on the Euro never goes that far out when it keeps snow in the mountains.

9B269972-34C4-40BF-A323-67E42100C49C.png

• Like 1
  • Snow 1

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

1 minute ago, CliffMassYelledAtMe said:

Holiday snow preference: 

3. Boxing Day

4. President's Day

5. MLK Day

6. Valentine's Day

8. Lunar New Year

9. St. Patrick's Day

10. April Fools' Day

Honorable Mentions:

Halloween snow is super cool.  I experienced that in 1984.

I think this thing coming up could rival some of the great late October / early November events of the past.  Cold snaps in that time frame with a Nina usually lead to good things later.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Halloween snow is super cool.  I experienced that in 1984.

I think this thing coming up could rival some of the great late October / early November events of the past.  Cold snaps in that time frame with a Nina usually lead to good things later.

Kind of early to spike the football on something that’ll likely just be some 40/33 days with maybe some snow above 500’. Would love to be wrong but usually it’s best to bet on climo. There have been some anomalous things like April 2022 and even this summer…so we could follow the craziness with more craziness but this doesn’t seem solid to me IMO. 

• Like 4
  • Rain 2

12 minutes ago, Gradient Keeper said:

The week ahead is likely to be very wet, with one or perhaps two separate atmospheric river events. What's unknown is whether or not the cold, arctic air will dig south into WA/OR, or hang up in southern BC. All models develop an Aleutian ridge just after Day 4 which then slowly shifts eastward into western Alaska by Day 6-7. It all depends on the orientation and degree of tilt of that blocking high. The next two days I think that picture will become a bit more clear.

There's also a threat of wind along with the Rain Friday & Saturday 

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-gust_mph-7595600.png

• Windy 3

195572.png?1673757432

This is pretty wildly cool! It is currently 52F degrees.  The high temp for my place tomorrow is supposed to be 52F.  So essentially the warmest part of the day is at night as temps will cool during the day tomorrow!  This isn't too common but pretty cool.  I can say right now, at 12:45am, will be the hottest it will be until till Friday when it reaches 55F!  The rest of this week will be in the 40s!! 

Screen Shot 2022-10-31 at 12.33.57 AM.png

• Like 2
  • Shivering 1

21 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Kind of early to spike the football on something that’ll likely just be some 40/33 days with maybe some snow above 500’. Would love to be wrong but usually it’s best to bet on climo. There have been some anomalous things like April 2022 and even this summer…so we could follow the craziness with more craziness but this doesn’t seem solid to me IMO. 

I never spiked the football.   I said could.

• Excited 1
  • Weenie 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

20 minutes ago, Gradient Keeper said:

Well that is a bummer seeing the EPS mirroring the Op, unless you like tons of rain.

You're kind of missing the huge cold air mass being shown.

• Thanks 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

How can anyone be disappointed by this?  Just puzzling.

1668038400-tLPnsM3wqm4.png

• Like 1
  • Shivering 4

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

All the east coast weenies keep talking about a pattern change coming mid month that would put us back under a ridge and keep all the cold out east. Though most of those posts are CFS maps from like 500 hours out.😂

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • lol 4
  • Weenie 2

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

44 minutes ago, Cold Snap said:

All the east coast weenies keep talking about a pattern change coming mid month that would put us back under a ridge and keep all the cold out east. Though most of those posts are CFS maps from like 500 hours out.😂

Mmmhhhmmmm, yea, and the Giants were supposed to beat the Seahawks yesterday too.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, gusky said:

Hold your horses, I'll eat 4 ghost peppers at once if it snows more than 2 inches on the 8th/9th. Feel free to hold me to that

Seriously. The GFS has a track record of grossly underestimating the ability of the Rockies, Coast Mountains, and Cascades to get in the way of cold air from the interior. A period of below-normal temperatures with lowland snow chances is looking increasingly likely, but I feel very safe saying it will not be as dramatically cold and snowy as some Goofus runs are claiming it will be.

Goofus was calling for surface temperatures in the -20’s Celsius in this area last January. -15’s were more like it. And in January 2020 it was calling for -15’s and we got -10’s. Seems reasonable to add about 5˚C to whatever the GFS says temperatures will be in an outflow event.

If this thing materializes, I will be pleased as punch with a trace to 4" of sloppy wet snow followed by a freeze into the mid-20’s F, because that is realistically about the best we can expect.

• Like 5
It's called clown range for a reason.

5 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Seriously. The GFS has a track record of grossly underestimating the ability of the Rockies, Coast Mountains, and Cascades to get in the way of cold air from the interior. A period of below-normal temperatures with lowland snow chances is looking increasingly likely, but I feel very safe saying it will not be as dramatically cold and snowy as some Goofus runs are claiming it will be.

Goofus was calling for surface temperatures in the -20’s Celsius in this area last January. -15’s were more like it. And in January 2020 it was calling for -15’s and we got -10’s. Seems reasonable to add about 5˚C to whatever the GFS says temperatures will be in an outflow event.

If this thing materializes, I will be pleased as punch with a trace to 4" of sloppy wet snow followed by a freeze into the mid-20’s F, because that is realistically about the best we can expect.

GFS is certainly the drunk uncle for a reason but I will say over the last few years its usually the first to sniff out these big events before Euro and Gem catch up. 

8 minutes ago, Snownerd3000 said:

GFS is certainly the drunk uncle for a reason but I will say over the last few years its usually the first to sniff out these big events before Euro and Gem catch up. 

Indeed it was. And if you added about 5˚C to its surface temperature modellings, it ended up being quite accurate for our area. But the verbatim numbers were never to be taken seriously.

It's called clown range for a reason.

26 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

06z shows a completely reasonable temp of 3 degrees F (-16c) at Vancouver. And a 31/26 day in Portland.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Doinko said:

06z shows a completely reasonable temp of 3 degrees F (-16c) at Vancouver.

Hopefully the GFS upgrade coming in a few weeks makes some big improvements in terms of surface conditions.     Its pretty comical how extreme it can be... in both directions.  

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 hour ago, hawkstwelve said:

06z GFS looked a wee bit snowy for Western WA...

Edit: Just noticed the 00z GFS was also incredibly snowy. So I guess the ticket to a great November was just getting me out of the state. Hopefully the same will be said for January!

gfs-deterministic-washington-total_snow_kuchera-8578400.png

Cold too

sfct.us_nw.png

• lol 1