2-19/2-21 Great Lakes Winter Storm...Heavy Rain/Flooding and Snow

Money

Looks like it may be heavy snow around Waterloo, but getting closer to rain the further east you go. Hard to tell for sure on back and white maps. I know the 540 line is pretty far east, but that's not always the best indication. I'd say East Central Iowa is still a good amount of rain.

I feel like I would get dry slotted as the low passes through and the only hope I would have at some real accumulation snow would be on the backside. My guess is that I start the storm off with maybe a little mix, not lasting long, then switch to all rain, get dry slotted, and then maybe catch a little light snow on the backside if I get lucky.

I feel like I would get dry slotted as the low passes through and the only hope I would have at some real accumulation snow would be on the backside. My guess is that I start the storm off with maybe a little mix, not lasting long, then switch to all rain, get dry slotted, and then maybe catch a little light snow on the backside if I get lucky.

GGEM is the only model tonight thats this far west. 

20-40 mile shift SE is all I need. Just looked at the GGEM snowfall maps on WX bell and the snow line is from CR/DBQ and NW. 2-6 NW of that line.

SLP would actually move right through Rockford, IL. Or just to the west of there.

But you're banking on the GGEM being right with the cold. This is going to be a very close call. GFS and NAM not quite as generous pulling cold air in.

Crazy how good consistent models have been with bigger scale storms like this. But, when a clipper comes through, it can't even figure out the track when the storm is actually hitting the area.

Might be because clippers come from Canada where the RAOB network is sparse.

Looks like a central, ne Iowa snow storm right now.

On the flip side the NAM is soaking IL.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"