June 2016 Observation and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

June 2016... right now looking like a warm month based on models but can change later.

Personally I am more focused on storm chances this summer. Is this looking like a stormy summer for east sides or mostly dry?

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

12Z ECMWF is still trending warmer for next Monday and Tuesday.    There was already a big jump on the 00Z run for those days.

The trend in the long range has also been to back off the troughing and the 12Z run continued that idea.

http://stream.ecmwf.int/data/atls03/data/data01/scratch/ps2png-atls03-95e2cf679cd58ee9b4db4dd119a05a8d-KyvlPi.png

This was 240 hours from yesterdays's 12Z run:

http://stream.ecmwf.int/data/atls03/data/data01/scratch/ps2png-atls03-95e2cf679cd58ee9b4db4dd119a05a8d-1lpSiC.png

And the 216-hour image from the new 12Z run:

http://stream.ecmwf.int/data/atls06/data/data01/scratch/ps2png-atls06-95e2cf679cd58ee9b4db4dd119a05a8d-6tVzCk.png

It allows a weak trough to sneak through on day 8 and that seems to take away energy from the trough offshore afterwards.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Going to be an interesting EPS run today. All three global models are heading in very different directions during week 2.

While I like the idea of a ridge building offshore, the ECMWF is definitely stronger with it than I'd envisioned. Appears to have something to do with how it handles MJO/TC related outflow in the EPAC.

Going to be an interesting EPS run today. All three global models are heading in very different directions during week 2.

While I like the idea of a ridge building offshore, the ECMWF is definitely stronger with it than I'd envisioned. Appears to have something to do with how it handles MJO/TC related outflow in the EPAC.

Might want to take down your maps in the May thread so you do not get in trouble.   It was my mistake on the numbering of the days.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Might want to take down your maps in the May thread so you do not get in trouble. It was my mistake on the numbering of the days.

Yeah, I took them down a few minutes ago.

Overall... I am glad I did not lower my June forecast any more. I am getting the feeling this will be another month of alternating between way above normal and normal with just a few truly below normal days.

Just a feeling of course.

Don't know if you've noticed, Tim, but each run has looked pretty different. Models are struggling with the change right now. Probably best not to read way too much into every single run at this stage.

Just a feeling.

It's June 1st.

You are making yourself look like a putz. Nothing new I suppose.

Yesterday we made forecasts all the way through September.

Today you are putz if you are speculating about the the first month of that forecast?     :lol:

OK.    

Yesterday we made forecasts all the way through September.

Today you are putz if you are speculating about the the first month of that forecast? :lol:

OK.

Based entirely on one model run that you happened to really like?

Yes.

Based entirely on one model run that you happened to really like?

Yes.

Not based on any single run.   

Side note... Phil wanted to wait until the runs last night before making his final call for June.  

Just a continuation of that discussion.   If I was speculating on June 1st that I should have lowered my forecast it would be met with likes from you.    Even if it was just speculation.  

12Z ECMWF ensemble mean at 240 hours...

http://stream.ecmwf.int/data/atls13/data/data01/scratch/ps2png-atls13-95e2cf679cd58ee9b4db4dd119a05a8d-4a6bdF.png

The 12z EPS also shifted, nationwide furnace in the long range, except for the PNW and New England which are around average. Everything more zonal overall.

Actually looks a lot like the 2012-esque EPS weeklies.

12Z ECMWF ensemble mean at 240 hours...

http://stream.ecmwf.int/data/atls13/data/data01/scratch/ps2png-atls13-95e2cf679cd58ee9b4db4dd119a05a8d-4a6bdF.png

Troughier.

Might have to change that monthly forecast again!

Troughier.

The mean is troughier than the OP, but it definitely shifted towards a zonal flow type pattern, sort of like 2012.

Troughier.

Can't change it. Past the deadline. Feeling is still the same.

The mean is troughier than the OP, but it definitely shifted towards a zonal flow type pattern, sort of like 2012.

Which part of 2012?

It is because one run backed off a little on troughing?

Who cares?

Based on persistence actually.   Whatever.   

You're bringing up a coolish month.

Prepare for a battle.

No battle at all.   Its all interesting to me.     I am learning from Phil as we go.  

Cool kid Jesse is really starting to take over!  

This nina is getting its legs!

Yeah... serious trolling now from him.  

Just took a look back at June 2012. Really reminded me how sexy Junes used to be capable of being around here, before they went all Fresno on us the last few years

Variety is the spice of life!

Of course that spice is Anthrax, though...

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Just took a look back at June 2012. Really reminded me how sexy Junes used to be capable of being around here, before they went all Fresno on us the last few years

How could you forget that month!   Right up your alley.   

Even rain-loving Andrew called it "terrible".    Here is his succinct summary of June and the first half of 2012:

http://s33.postimg.org/pr7elr6um/Untitled.jpg

We are only Fresno temporarily.   :)

It was an interesting departure, but I miss our normal ones.

June 2013 and 2014 weren't all that abnormal.  More a return to normalcy after a handful which featured at least one fairly long, anomalously cold/wet period.  

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

June 2013 and 2014 weren't all that abnormal. More a return to normalcy after a handful which featured at least one fairly long, anomalously cold/wet period.

Yeah... 2015 was the oddball. Definitely an early peaking summer last year. Way above normal in June and then a steady decline to below normal in September.

How could you forget that month! Right up your alley.

Even rain-loving Andrew called it "terrible". Here is his succinct summary of June and the first half of 2012:

We are only Fresno temporarily. :)

Is this supposed to change my opinion, or simply show me that it's wrong?

No battle at all. Its all interesting to me. I am learning from Phil as we go.

We're all learning from everyone and everything, even if we're not consciously aware of it. :)

• Like 1