Three Most Displaced Climate Zones on Earth

wx_statman

What makes Yakutsk special is that its a decent sized city, with a population of 270,000. By far the most extreme city of its size in the world.

Their warmest daily record low in January is -71F, on the 30th. 

Here's a neat video I found from Yakutsk. City people going about their lives in -53F cold. The description in Russian says overnight low was -51C/-60F and the morning temperature was -47C/-53F, presumably when this vid was taken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mNjlv0sqSg

Here's a neat video I found from Yakutsk. City people going about their lives in -53F cold. The description in Russian says overnight low was -51C/-60F and the morning temperature was -47C/-53F, presumably when this vid was taken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mNjlv0sqSg

That girl talking on her cell phone with an exposed hand is pretty tough near 45 seconds. That is unpleasant when the temperature drops much below freezing, let alone 50 below zero. 

The people sure looked like they didn't think much of it though. 

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

That girl talking on her cell phone with an exposed hand is pretty tough near 45 seconds. That is unpleasant when the temperature drops much below freezing, let alone 50 below zero. 

The people sure looked like they didn't think much of it though.

I'm guessing a lot of it has to do with being born and raised there. The body gets used to the cold from an early age. 

My two cents on this thread:

1.  Portland is too cool and wet to be a Mediterranean climate proper.  I think that because the Med climate is held in romantic esteem by humanity (many ancient civilizations were located in or near this biome), we have a natural tendency to "shoehorn" climates into this category.  Yes, Portland may have relatively mild winters and a summer dry season - but the numbers and vegetation don't add up to anything like California or Southern Europe. 

Instead, the PNW has one of the world's few "dry summer oceanic" zones.

2.  Rost, Norway is obviously not Mediterranean!  More like subpolar oceanic.  Average winter temps above 32F are no reason to shoehorn this climate as Mediterranean.  And at that latitude and temperature, it's hard to think of 1" of rain in June as a "dry season" due to the low evaporation rates.

3.  Kurilsk and Turpan are fascinating with respect to spring/fall seasonal lag.  In the former case, you have October temps that are just about as warm as June.  In the latter case, October is nearly 10 degrees colder than April!  I'm going to assume the continentality/oceanicity plays a role here.  The changing seasonal sun angle can work its magic very promptly in Turpan, while everything is muffled by the subtropical ocean in Kurilsk.

• Like 1

1.  Portland is too cool and wet to be a Mediterranean climate proper.  I think that because the Med climate is held in romantic esteem by humanity (many ancient civilizations were located in or near this biome), we have a natural tendency to "shoehorn" climates into this category.  Yes, Portland may have relatively mild winters and a summer dry season - but the numbers and vegetation don't add up to anything like California or Southern Europe. 

2.  Rost, Norway is obviously not Mediterranean!  More like subpolar oceanic.  Average winter temps above 32F are no reason to shoehorn this climate as Mediterranean.  And at that latitude and temperature, it's hard to think of 1" of rain in June as a "dry season" due to the low evaporation rates.

3.  Kurilsk and Turpan are fascinating with respect to spring/fall seasonal lag.  In the former case, you have October temps that are just about as warm as June.  In the latter case, October is nearly 10 degrees colder than April!  I'm going to assume the continentality/oceanicity plays a role here.  The changing seasonal sun angle can work its magic very promptly in Turpan, while everything is muffled by the subtropical ocean in Kurilsk.

The Koppen System unfortunately has its limitations. It was designed by a European in the late 19th century, using European reference points. There have been a number of attempts to modernize it (Trewartha, etc) but the original Koppen system has been able to maintain its status as the lingua franca of climatological classification. I agree that a place like Rost is subpolar oceanic through and through, and only fails to qualify by a fluke in the classification system. 

I used to work at the Mt. Angel Abbey. From the top of the hill there is an amazing view of Hood and you can see Adams and St. Helens well. On a clear day Mt. Rainer is also clearly visible to the right of St. Helens. :)

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Here is a Koppen map for WA State. Can anyone figure out the deal with the area east of Seattle that transitions from temperate oceanic, to temperate continental, and then cool continental (subarctic)? I'm guessing that could be the Wenatchee Mountains. The valleys there are one of the places in WA that can regularly have freezing low temps any month of the year. I'm surprised it would be classified that cold though.

That map is seriously off in terms of our actual geography and climate. I would like to see a map with better resolution.

Another thing to note is that the entire Pasayten Wilderness area of the North Central Washington Cascades had the largest area of tundra in the lower 48. The last herd of caribou in the lower 48 actually resides in the highlands of Northeast Washington.

Carl is spot on in that our climate is one of the rare oceanic climates with dry summers. Our climate is not like Southern Europe.

That map is seriously off in terms of our actual geography and climate. I would like to see a map with better resolution.

Another thing to note is that the entire Pasayten Wilderness area of the North Central Washington Cascades had the largest area of tundra in the lower 48. The last herd of caribou in the lower 48 actually resides in the highlands of Northeast Washington.

Carl is spot on in that our climate is one of the rare oceanic climates with dry summers. Our climate like Southern Europe.

I love that factoid about the Pasayten. That is one of the most fascinating climate regions of the state, IMO. The eastern part of the area features several high plateaus that are indeed covered with tundra. Probably some of the lowest annual mean temps in the state in that region, if not the lowest (aside from the summits of the Cascade volcanoes). Northeastern Washington also hosts all of the "Canadian" species such as lynx, moose, woodland caribou, grey wolf and North American brown bear (Grizzlies).

The Methow valley in the south part of that region has an incredible ability to stay frigid in the winter for extended spells, even long after the west side has warmed up. Another area up there that is great at holding onto cold is the Waterville Plateau, east of Wenatchee.

1. Portland is too cool and wet to be a Mediterranean climate proper. I think that because the Med climate is held in romantic esteem by humanity (many ancient civilizations were located in or near this biome), we have a natural tendency to "shoehorn" climates into this category. Yes, Portland may have relatively mild winters and a summer dry season - but the numbers and vegetation don't add up to anything like California or Southern Europe.

2. Rost, Norway is obviously not Mediterranean! More like subpolar oceanic. Average winter temps above 32F are no reason to shoehorn this climate as Mediterranean. And at that latitude and temperature, it's hard to think of 1" of rain in June as a "dry season" due to the low evaporation rates.

3. Kurilsk and Turpan are fascinating with respect to spring/fall seasonal lag. In the former case, you have October temps that are just about as warm as June. In the latter case, October is nearly 10 degrees colder than April! I'm going to assume the continentality/oceanicity plays a role here. The changing seasonal sun angle can work its magic very promptly in Turpan, while everything is muffled by the subtropical ocean in Kurilsk.

I agree that dry summer oceanic is a much better classification for us.

I love that factoid about the Pasayten. That is one of the most fascinating climate regions of the state, IMO. The eastern part of the area features several high plateaus that are indeed covered with tundra. Probably some of the lowest annual mean temps in the state in that region, if not the lowest (aside from the summits of the Cascade volcanoes). Northeastern Washington also hosts all of the "Canadian" species such as lynx, moose, woodland caribou, grey wolf and North American brown bear (Grizzlies).

The Methow valley in the south part of that region has an incredible ability to stay frigid in the winter for extended spells, even long after the west side has warmed up. Another area up there that is great at holding onto cold is the Waterville Plateau, east of Wenatchee.

Exactly. Btw sorry for the crappy grammar in my post. I'm typing from my iPhone

"Dry summer oceanic" is Mediterranean. Dry summers are the only distinction that separate a temperate oceanic climate from a Mediterranean one. 

The native vegetation of the Willamette Valley does in fact reflect our Mediterranean climate. Prior to European settlement, the valley was dominated by open prairie/grasslands along with oak groves. Much like what you would find in central California. There were very few Douglas firs on the valley floor and they were typically found in mixed coniferous/broadleaf groves. 

Carl is spot on in that our climate is one of the rare oceanic climates with dry summers. Our climate is not like Southern Europe.

Absolutely, and its not classified as such. Southern Europe has a hot-summer Mediterranean climate. The Willamette Valley has a warm-summer Mediterranean climate. 

"Dry summer oceanic" is Mediterranean. Dry summers are the only distinction that separate a temperate oceanic climate from a Mediterranean one.

The native vegetation of the Willamette Valley does in fact reflect our Mediterranean climate. Prior to European settlement, the valley was dominated by open prairie/grasslands along with oak groves. Much like what you would find in central California. There were very few Douglas firs on the valley floor and they were typically found in mixed coniferous/broadleaf groves.

It's interesting what you are saying about the native vegetation of the Willamette Valley. Much of it was indeed oak savannah prior to European settlement. Although this may have also been partially due to the annual controlled burns that many of the area's native tribes practiced each autumn, in order to open up areas for game the following spring and summer.

I was surprised to find out that there is actually a sub-species of ponderosa pine that is native to the Willamette Valley and even parts of the south Puget Sound lowlands, historically. Its needles are slightly longer and darker colored than the east side counterpart, and it is more resistant to fungal issues that would be brought about by the wetter climate.

I would argue that the character of the Willamette valley vegetation is still much different than Central Valley native vegetation, though. Even today, you don't start seeing pines in large concentration until the North Umpqua drainage and point south. The same goes for broadleaf evergreens like madrona and live oak.

It's interesting what you are saying about the native vegetation of the Willamette Valley. Much of it was indeed oak savannah prior to European settlement. Although this may have also been partially due to the annual controlled burns that many of the area's native tribes practiced each autumn, in order to open up areas for game the following spring and summer.

I was surprised to find out that there is actually a sub-species of ponderosa pine that is native to the Willamette Valley and even parts of the south Puget Sound lowlands, historically. Its needles are slightly longer and darker colored than the east side counterpart, and it is more resistant to fungal issues that would be brought about by the wetter climate.

I would argue that the character of the Willamette valley vegetation is still much different than Central Valley native vegetation, though. Even today, you don't start seeing pines in large concentration until the North Umpqua drainage and point south. The same goes for broadleaf evergreens like madrona and live oak.

I always wondered about the pine trees next to my old apartment on Sunnyside Rd. They're a rare sight in the Portland area. 

There are some great groves of old oaks at the edges of the valley near Dallas and Silverton. My dad has an Oak that is probably nearly 350 years old. Amazing to think what that tree has seen...

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

I think Davis, WV qualifies here. What's cool is they have a peculiar "oceanic" climate, yet their growing season is shorter than Fairbanks, AK.

Accumulating snowfall and subfreezing temperatures have occurred in every month of the year, yet this climate is also quite mild and humid during the summer, with frequent thunderstorms (both terrain enhanced, and synoptic scale activity like derechos and squall lines). They average 134" of snowfall per winter, with blizzard conditions occurring on a regular basis, too.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canaan_Valley#Climate

I think Davis, WV qualifies here. What's cool is they have a peculiar "oceanic" climate, yet their growing season is shorter than Fairbanks, AK.

Accumulating snowfall and subfreezing temperatures have occurred in every month of the year, yet this climate is also quite mild and humid during the summer, with frequent thunderstorms (both terrain enhanced, and synoptic scale activity like derechos and squall lines). They average 134" of snowfall per winter, with blizzard conditions occurring on a regular basis, too.

They're actually Humid Continental. January average of -3.1C/26.4F just barely qualifies them. 

Regardless, I'm also fascinated by Canaan Valley. Its definitely a place I want to visit sometime. 

The National Park Service citation indicates that the Valley is "a splendid 'museum' ofPleistocene habitats ... contain[ing] ... an aggregation of these habitats seldom found in the eastern United States. It is unique as a northern boreal relict community at this latitude by virtue of its size, elevation and diversity."

• Like 1

They're actually Humid Continental. January average of -3.1C/26.4F just barely qualifies them.

Regardless, I'm also fascinated by Canaan Valley. Its definitely a place I want to visit sometime.

The National Park Service citation indicates that the Valley is "a splendid 'museum' ofPleistocene habitats ... contain[ing] ... an aggregation of these habitats seldom found in the eastern United States. It is unique as a northern boreal relict community at this latitude by virtue of its size, elevation and diversity."

Huh, I read somewhere that they're oceanic, but maybe that's the not the case.

It's a truly beautiful area. Would be an ideal climate for me.

FWIW under the modified Koppen system the Western lowlands from Portland northward don't count as Mediterranean.  The modified system requires at least 8 months per year with monthly averages of 50+ for that classification. 

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Weird.  They call it marine West Coast.  Maybe something like the coast of BC north of Vancouver.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Weird. They call it marine West Coast. Maybe something like the coast of BC north of Vancouver.

I think the relatively small (cold season) diurnal temperature variations play a role in the classification.

I've been up there every month of the year. During winter, it's cloudy and/or snowing 80% of the time under due to orographic lifting, so there's often very little difference between the high/low..usually it's something like a high of 20*F and a low of 15*F.

During summer, meanwhile, the diurnal temperature swings are a bit larger given most precipitation is convective in nature (thunderstorms). Still, a typical afternoon will be 75-80 degrees with a dewpoint of 65-70 degrees, with fog developing rapidly in the late evening as temperatures cool radiatively and the dewpoint depression reaches zero. Overnight lows during the summer generally fall into the 50s, dropping the dewpoints with them, so mornings are fantastic as the fog usually holds until ~10AM, followed by a rapid burn-off and increase in temperatures and humidity after 11AM.

Another fascinating climate can be found in Uyuni, Bolivia. 

Look at that diurnal range. 59/9 spread in May!

This is at 12,139' and 20S latitude. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uyuni#Climate

Talk about a crazy climate!  I could almost enjoy that in a weird sort of way.  A plain at 12,000 feet seems almost inconceivable.  Pretty harsh place.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Another fascinating climate can be found in Uyuni, Bolivia. 

Look at that diurnal range. 59/9 spread in May!

This is at 12,139' and 20S latitude. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uyuni#Climate

Talk about a recipe for sun burn!   12,000 feet up at that latitude.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Another interesting case is Chokurdakh, at 70'38" in Siberia. They make a recovery from an otherwise frozen polar environment (7.9F annual avg) to 61/44 in July. Note the dramatic recovery from April/May to July. I doubt this temperature profile exists anywhere else in the world at that latitude.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chokurdakh#Climate

I found an even better example. Saskylakh at 71'57" north latitude. Because of the northward extension of the Siberian landmass, this location is able to recover from 25/11 in May to 61/44 in July.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saskylakh#Climate

The summers here are warm enough to support tree growth. The "Lukunsky Grove" of Dahurian Larch survives at 72'31" and is considered to be the northernmost forest in the world. Thus, this region also represents the northernmost extension of a Subarctic climate anywhere in the world and the northernmost location that doesn't have a Polar (ET or EF) climate in the world. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lukunsky_grove

http://www.wondermondo.com/Countries/E/RUS/Krasnoyarsk/Lukunsky.htm

• Like 1

Technically it's not and Köppen climate classification outlier, but I've always thought that coastal Peru and northern Chile has one of the weirdest climates in the world.

It's in the tropics, but is usually cool (by tropical standards at sea level).     Temperatures only very rarely rise to 80F (also unusual in the tropics at sea level).    It is extremely dry (precipitation wise, much, much drier than Death Valley and as dry or drier than most of the Sahara).   Despite its dryness, every time I have been there it is damp, cool, and often foggy (which it is most of the year).  Fog and dampness are very common although it almost never rains (Arica has gone 14 years with no rain, yet is is cool and foggy and without sunshine for much of the year).   It's like a more extreme version of the summer of San Francisco, but year round.   I don't think there is a place with a climate like that anywhere else in the tropics and at sea level.  

Edit:  Oops; I see that coastal Peru was already mentioned earlier.

Turpan Depression in western China should get an honorable mention.

Parts of the Uinta Basin (Utah/Western Colorado) have a fairly similar climate, though not quite as warm in summer.

Turpan = 10.2F average low in January/103.3F average high in July.

Dinosaur Quarry = 4.3F average low in January/95.0 average high in July.

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?ut2173

The Uinta Basin is not quite as dry, but most stations get 5-9 inches of average precip.

• 4 years later...