Home weather station for Valdez, AK

Im.ghoti

Hi there, first post. 

I'm moving to Valdez A.K., which averages over 68 inches of rain and 300 inches of snow every year. It also gets hellishly sever windstorms.  Any suggestions on a weather station that will be accurate and survive in such conditions for a reasonable price? 

Oh! And I'd like to able to automatically upload the information to a website or Weather Underground. Thank you. 

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the forum.  First let me say I really envy you...at least as far as winter weather goes.  I used to sell weather stations and know some things about them, so I'll look at what is available now and put in my two cents.

As I've told others before if you live where there are big windstorms you might want to go for a wired station because wireless stations may miss peak instantaneous gusts due to the fact they only update every 5 seconds or whatever.  A wired station will capture the gust much better.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

On 10/23/2022 at 6:03 PM, Im.ghoti said:

Hi there, first post. 

I'm moving to Valdez A.K., which averages over 68 inches of rain and 300 inches of snow every year. It also gets hellishly sever windstorms.  Any suggestions on a weather station that will be accurate and survive in such conditions for a reasonable price? 

Oh! And I'd like to able to automatically upload the information to a website or Weather Underground. Thank you. 

Welcome to the forums.