January 2014 Observations and Discussion

DominicR

Next 7 days looks pretty tame. Lowest temp: 7°. Skilling's 7 day didn't look bad either. Average winter temp regime. Probably will only see small snow systems for the next 7-10 days - at least this far south.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

We're going to have to have snow cover around to even come close to what we had last week. About the coldest I've seen it with scant snow cover is about -3°. January 2003 was a case like that.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

Ya, that's why I said depending on how deep the snow cover gets around that will be the deciding factor.  We still have another Clipper Saturday to monitor and then another possible system in the GL early next week, then another chance right before the blast comes the following weekend.  I think we will have atleast 6"+ on the ground for a large area around here.

12z GFS probably just had one of the coldest runs of the season to date for next weekend.  PV targets Midwest/GL next weekend ushering -10/-20F temps next Sun - Tue.  The trend for all the models are pointing for a repeat of what we experienced Jan 3-6.  If we do have a deep enough snow cover I don't see why we wouldn't have temps that cold once again.

GFS is way cold throughout majority of the run. some clippers as well. And at the end of the run it looks as if a storm may be developing in the rockies and plains, which may be that storm that Tom has been talking about from the Jan 30-Feb 2 timeframe.

If we're referring to the LRC and the Oct 3-5th blizzard and tornado outbreak than we should see a storm before that based on this years cycle

12z GFS probably just had one of the coldest runs of the season to date for next weekend.  PV targets Midwest/GL next weekend ushering -10/-20F temps next Sun - Tue.  The trend for all the models are pointing for a repeat of what we experienced Jan 3-6.  If we do have a deep enough snow cover I don't see why we wouldn't have temps that cold once again.

That's the $64,000 question!

Under 4", is not going to do it.

So far showing high and dry.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

12z Euro Ensembles showing a picture perfect 500mb coast to coast storm track if this panned out.  Blocking over the top, cold air to supply an active west/east storm track Days 10-15.  This is when the LRC reaches its active stage and I think we will see some blockbuster storms showing up end of January into February.

12z Euro Ensembles showing a picture perfect 500mb coast to coast storm track if this panned out.  Blocking over the top, cold air to supply an active west/east storm track Days 10-15.  This is when the LRC reaches its active stage and I think we will see some blockbuster storms showing up end of January into February.

That looks nice.

I couldn't help but catch JB is already looking for the February pattern to develop. Saying the SE ridge will flex it's muscles and shift the trough further west.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

+1 Geos, that pattern above is similar to what we saw in December with blocking over the top and a west/east storm track across the U.S.  SE Ridge may become active later in February according to JB's thinking.  IMO, that seems very possible given the pattern that has entrenched this winter.

Depending on the track of the Saturday clipper, we could get some added LehS for lakeside counties.  Temps will be in the low/mid teens for the event so very high snow ratios with the weekend Clipper.  Could this be another Saskatchewan Screamer???  Probably a smaller scale version of todays Clipper.

GFS is the weakest one of the models so far tonight.  It weakens quite a bit as it heads SE but I don't see that happening as it rounds the corner.  These are they type of Clippers that flow along the southern side of the trough and then explode on the east coast.

It might snow some more this week, but both Sunday and Monday will be back above freezing.

These fluffy snows get nuked as soon as the sun comes out and the air is above 25° or so.

About 20 minutes of daylight gain so far. By the end of the month it's about a 53 minute gain here.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

To have a shot at getting as cold as we did last time, we're going to have to either do good with these next couple clippers, which isn't looking too great, or hope for a widespread big snowstorm right before the PV drops down. I don't know if you guys saw my post earlier, but I still have a really good snow pack. Just hoping I can add some and continue to hold on to it.

euro for the next clipper

http://models.weatherbell.com/ecmwf/2014011500/east/ecmwf_slp_precip_east_15.png

http://models.weatherbell.com/ecmwf/2014011500/east/ecmwf_slp_precip_east_16.png

http://models.weatherbell.com/ecmwf/2014011500/east/ecmwf_slp_precip_east_17.png

Accums?

This clipper is looking interesting Friday night. Ratios look pretty healthy as well and maybe even some lake enhancement. I am not doubting a winter weather advisory for some areas in Lakes but to early to tell yet. LOT looks favorable:

LIKE ONE OF THOSE NEVER-ENDING HANDKERCHIEFS IN A CLOWN`S
POCKET...YET ANOTHER CLIPPER (NUMERO SEIS) IS PROGGED TO BE DIVING
SOUTH TOWARD THE REGION ALREADY BY FRIDAY NIGHT. MUCH LIKE HIS
SIBLINGS THAT CAME BEFORE HIM THIS WEEK...SEIS SHOULD RESULT IN
RISING TEMPS FRIDAY NIGHT AS WARM AIR ADVECTION GETS CRANKING UP. A
RESPECTABLY LARGE SPREAD IN THE MODELS IN THEIR HANDLING OF SEIS
LEADS TO UNCERTAINTIES REGARDING THE SNOW POTENTIAL LATE FRIDAY
NIGHT INTO SATURDAY...BUT UNLIKE CINCO...SEVERAL MODELS SUGGEST THAT
SEIS COULD TAKE A MORE FAVORABLE TRACK FOR BRINGING ACCUMULATING
SNOW TO OUR CWA OR CLOSE BY SATURDAY. FOR NOW JUST RAISED POPS ABOUT
10-20% FROM GUIDANCE BUT STAYED BELOW 50% DUE TO MODEL DIFFERENCES.
AS MODELS HONE IN ON A CONSENSUS TRACK SUSPECT THAT WE COULD BE
TALKING ABOUT SEIS LAYING DOWN A SWATH OF SEVERAL INCHES OF SNOW
SOMEWHERE IN THE CWA NEIGHBORHOOD SATURDAY.

This clipper is looking interesting Friday night. Ratios look pretty healthy as well and maybe even some lake enhancement. I am not doubting a winter weather advisory for some areas in Lakes but to early to tell yet. LOT looks favorable:

Five imaginary dollars will be given if the eventual thread for this clipper has "Número Seis" in the title. LOT knows how to throw in a touch of humor from time to time.

12z GFS painting 3-5" in N IL from this clipper.

...The Artist Formerly Known as RJSnowLover...