Unusual weather trivia that is hard to google

Scott

An amazing week for temperature extremes across the US occurred in September 1895. 

A record heat wave affected the Great Plains just after mid-month. Sioux City, IA experienced its latest triple digits on record with 103 on the 17th and 101 on the 18th. The ridge of high pressure migrated east, giving New England an incredible late season heat wave. Farmington, ME hit 100 degrees on the 22nd, which still stands as the Maine state record high for the month of September despite occurring a day after the fall equinox. At the same time, a record cold wave affected the western US. On the same day that Farmington hit 100, Lander, WY fell to 7 degrees, which to this day is nearly a month earlier than their next-earliest single digits (10/17/1925). The Nevada state record low for September was set at Carlin with a reading of 0 degrees. Government Camp recorded 9.5" of snow on the 19th-20th, followed by a low of 20 on the 21st - by far the coldest and snowiest weather experienced at that elevation of Mount Hood to the present day. Downtown Portland had a high of 58 on the 20th, followed by a low of 36 on the 21st. Blaine, WA fell to 25 on the 21st.

• Like 2

From Wunderground:

Nate’s trek north helped reinforce a very warm, moist air mass in place east of the Appalachians. Summerlike dew points in the 70s led to unusually muggy conditions for early October. The low temperature on Sunday at Washington’s Reagan National Airport was 75°F. In records dating back to 1874, that was the city’s warmest daily minimum ever recorded in October, breaking the 74°F record set on October 4 and 5, 1898, and October 4, 1941. Capital Weather Gang reported that the mid-70s dew points were virtually unprecedented for this late in the autumn. All-time warm daily lows for October were also set at Washington’s Dulles Airport (73°F) and Philadelphia (74°F). Conditions in D.C. on Sunday were so oppressive that the annual Army Ten-Miler Road Race was cut short and recast as a “recreational run,” according to Stars and Stripes.

Just wanted to highlight a truly remarkable heat wave that affected the mid-Atlantic in early October 1941. In addition to the record warm minimum of 74, Washington DC also set its still-standing monthly record high of 96 on the 5th of that month. Philadelphia posted 96-95-93 on the 5th-7th, while no other October in history even topped 91. Likewise, Wilmington DE posted 94-93-93 on those dates while no other October reading in history exceeded 91. NYC-Central Park hit 94 on the 5th while the next highest Oct reading is also 91, in a period of record back to 1869. Richmond VA reeled off 97-99-95-95 on the 5th-8th, it wasn't until 10/9/2007 that Richmond saw any other October reading crack 95 degrees (Washington DC hit 94 on 10/9/2007, also the closest they've come to Oct 1941). State record maximums for October were set in Virginia (101 in Walkerton), Pennsylvania (100 in Phoenixville), Maryland (99 in Blackwater), New Jersey (97 in Tuckerton), and Delaware (97 in Bridgeville).

• Like 1

Man oh man. And I thought today was awful enough..upper 90s in October is nuts. The 2007 heatwave is kinda vague to me, but I know it wasn't this humid.

Those 1930s and 1940s summers/autumns were the worst of the worst, though. I think all of DCA's J/J/A/S/O monthly dewpoint records were set in the 1940s. The October record is 78*F, as far as I'm aware, and the all-time high is 89*F, set in June of 1943 IIRC.

• Like 1

Man oh man. And I thought today was awful enough..upper 90s in October is nuts. The 2007 heatwave is kinda vague to me, but I know it wasn't this humid.

Those 1930s and 1940s summers/autumns were the worst of the worst, though. I think all of DCA's J/J/A/S/O monthly dewpoint records were set in the 1940s. The October record is 78*F, as far as I'm aware, and the all-time high is 89*F, set in June of 1943 IIRC.

upper 90s in october is insanely hot.

FWIW, I screwed up. The October dewpoint record of 78*F was actually set in 1995, not 1941. Also, the September dewpoint record is 84*F, set in 1946, not 1943. The all-time dewpoint record is 88*F, set in July of 1943.

Lots of very humid summers in the 1940s-50s. Much cooler and less humid summers in the 1960s and early/mid 1970s, then the nasty ones started re-appearing in the early 1980s.

The summers from 2010-present have been very similar to those back in the 1940s-50s. Dewpoints reached 80*F or higher in 2011, 2013, 2016, and 2017.

As for the -34 degree reading at Bergland, MI being the April record low, it appears that all of the data for March/April 1923(and earlier) was actually recorded one day ​after it occurred when compared to surrounding stations in N. Wis and Western UP of MI.  I believe that the -34 reading in Bergland ​actually occurred on March 31 ​and is therefore invalid as an April reading.  There is a -17 reading on 4/2 is what I believe is the true Apr. 1 reading at that station.  In the Eastern UP and eastward toward New York state, all of the readings on 4/1/1923 are colder that the 3/31 values.  therefore I believe that the -30 degree reading at Humboldt(near Champion) on 4/1/1923 is the true record low April reading for Michigan.  ​There is also a -27 reading on 4/1/1924 there as well making it the second legitimately coldest reading for April.  As noted before Mio also reached -23 on 4/1/1923, so I think my theory is pretty sound.  In general, MN/WI/Western UP recorded there coldest temps on 3/31, while everthing east of there was coldest on 4/1/1923.  Any argument will be greatly appreciated!!

As for the -34 degree reading at Bergland, MI being the April record low, it appears that all of the data for March/April 1923(and earlier) was actually recorded one day ​after it occurred when compared to surrounding stations in N. Wis and Western UP of MI.  I believe that the -34 reading in Bergland ​actually occurred on March 31 ​and is therefore invalid as an April reading.  There is a -17 reading on 4/2 is what I believe is the true Apr. 1 reading at that station.  In the Eastern UP and eastward toward New York state, all of the readings on 4/1/1923 are colder that the 3/31 values.  therefore I believe that the -30 degree reading at Humboldt(near Champion) on 4/1/1923 is the true record low April reading for Michigan.  ​There is also a -27 reading on 4/1/1924 there as well making it the second legitimately coldest reading for April.  As noted before Mio also reached -23 on 4/1/1923, so I think my theory is pretty sound.  In general, MN/WI/Western UP recorded there coldest temps on 3/31, while everthing east of there was coldest on 4/1/1923.  Any argument will be greatly appreciated!!

Minimums were never offset at COOP stations, just maximums. The -34 at Bergland was indeed on April 1, 1923.

Minimums were never offset at COOP stations, just maximums. The -34 at Bergland was indeed on April 1, 1923.

This is always so frustrating to me. Any idea why they don't just record 12:01am to 12:00am? My understanding is they actually record highs from something like 4:01pm to 4:00pm so the high from the previous day gets carried over many times. 

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

This is always so frustrating to me. Any idea why they don't just record 12:01am to 12:00am? My understanding is they actually record highs from something like 4:01pm to 4:00pm so the high from the previous day gets carried over many times. 

I think it's 8am to 8am. Actually helps carry over the lows. I believe the reason is just that that's when the observer was required to be there and submit the numbers.

Yeah, it's a pretty dumb way of doing things. They used to record from between 8-9pm to 8-9pm the following day. The COOP observers were advised to record anytime in that one-hour block nightly, for the trailing 24 hours. That strategy was borrowed from the Signal Service which the COOP network superseded. The Signal Service recorded from 8pm to 8pm, trailing 24 hours. So back in the late 19th/early 20th centuries, both the maximums and minimums usually landed on the correct calendar day. Then at some point in the 20th century observation times were changed to 7am to include the trailing 24 hours. So the maximums were from the previous day, and minimums were for the current morning in most cases.

• Like 1

Apparently, the rest of you think the -34 reading in Bergalnd on 4/1/1923 is legit.  It is just a bit questionable that even the December record low is only -30 set in 1983.  Also, Bergland typically does not seem to get as cold as Humboldt in a given cold wave.  

We went back and forth on that reading for a while. You can go back through this thread if you wish.

Apparently, the rest of you think the -34 reading in Bergalnd on 4/1/1923 is legit. It is just a bit questionable that even the December record low is only -30 set in 1983. Also, Bergland typically does not seem to get as cold as Humboldt in a given cold wave.

That record clearly bothers you for some reason.

Apparently, the rest of you think the -34 reading in Bergalnd on 4/1/1923 is legit.  It is just a bit questionable that even the December record low is only -30 set in 1983.  Also, Bergland typically does not seem to get as cold as Humboldt in a given cold wave.  

For the sake of accuracy - you're looking at the modern "Bergland Dam" station that only extends back to 1948. This station doesn't appear to be as much of a cold spot as the original Bergland. The original Bergland also recorded -29 on 3/27/1913, so readings in the -30 range are (were) definitely possible at that time of year.

The original Bergland station existed from 1909-1925. 

Also, regarding the comparison to December - the month of December is not a big cold wave producer in the upper Midwest. Their winter season really peaks after January 1st. Between 1909-1925, the lowest December reading in the entire state of Michigan was -38. Meanwhile, March had dropped to -40 or lower in three separate years (1913, 1917, 1920). 

Having said all that, it's certainly possible that the -34 at Bergland on 4/1/1923 was erroneous. The thermometer may have been placed too low to the ground, or alcohol condensation in the bulb caused an erroneously low reading (a known problem at the time), or the observer was simply fibbing in order to make his numbers look more impressive. All three of those things used to happen at COOP stations. 

However, given that Humboldt was -30 on 4/1/1923, Mio on the lower peninsula was -23, and three different stations were between -30F and -32F across Lake Superior in southern Ontario that morning, I don't think there's enough evidence to outright dismiss the Bergland reading. Just my opinion.

The Bergland reading seems to be plausible and is very impressive considering the state record for Michigan November is only -23.

It was an incredible April cold snap for parts of the Midwest and Northeast. Other locations had some pretty impressive readings too and other state records, such as New York's were as cold as November records.  

It was probably the most impressive April cold snap in the lower 48 that I know of, though it only covered a part of the country.

If so, it is the coldest 'reliably measured' temperature ever to occur in April in the Lower 48.

The -41 at Peter Sinks on 4/1/2008 is probably accurate, but isn't in a populated location.

I'm wondering about the -15 reading at Big Piney, WY on 9/20/1983. Infoplease lists -9 at Riverside Ranger Station, WY on 9/24/1926 as the lower 48 record for the month:

https://www.infoplease.com/science-health/weather/september

September 1983 had a legitimate, record cold airmass. West Yellowstone hit -3 on the 20th, and Old Faithful fell to -2 the following morning. I'm thinking the Big Piney reading should be the real US monthly record. It can be found in the WRCC daily records for Big Piney, and in the WY monthly climate report for September 1983. 

I'm wondering about the -15 reading at Big Piney, WY on 9/20/1983. Infoplease lists -9 at Riverside Ranger Station, WY on 9/24/1926 as the lower 48 record for the month:

https://www.infoplease.com/science-health/weather/september

September 1983 had a legitimate, record cold airmass. West Yellowstone hit -3 on the 20th, and Old Faithful fell to -2 the following morning. I'm thinking the Big Piney reading should be the real US monthly record. It can be found in the WRCC daily records for Big Piney, and in the WY monthly climate report for September 1983. 

I have wondered about that one too and have looked into it as well.   (I have passed through Big Piney many times).    Personally, I don't think the reading is valid.

Big Piney is a known cold spot, but -15 is as cold as the record for October, set in 1971.  The next coldest September reading there is +5.

La Barge just to the south is usually a little warmer than Big Piney, but it was +13 on the day Big Piney was supposedly -15.   None of the other locations in the vicinity of Big Piney (Pinedale, La Barge, Bondurant, Fontenelle Dam, Farson, Cora, Daniel Fish Hatchery, etc.) reported any sub zero temperatures.  

Bordurant, Cora, Darwin Ranch, and Big Piney are usually the coldest places in that region of Wyoming and are some of the coldest locations in the state, and often in the lower 48 (though they are usually too small to make the headlines).  The normally close to equal cold Cora and Bondurant did report temperatures in the single digits, but not even close to -15.  

Darwin Ranch is usually even colder than Big Piney and those other locations and had a +3, which would be the next lowest reading if the -15 were valid.

Further, in the surrounding locations, the 21st lows weren't much warmer they were on the 20th.  In Big Piney, the reported temperature was -15 on the 20th and 9 on the 21st.  Bondurant was 5 on the 20th and 9 on the 21st.  Darwin Ranch was 3 on the 20th and 8 on the 21st.  Cora was 4 on the 20th and then 10 on the 21st.  

On the 21st, all of the other known cold spots in the area were between 8-10 on the 21st, including Big Piney.   It doesn't seem very possible that all the cold spots other than Big Piney were 3-5 on the 20th, but then Big Piney happened to be -15, a full 18 degrees colder than any the rest of the locations, when the following morning Big Piney was within 1 degree of all those same locations.  

At best, the -15 at Big Piney seems to be extremely unlikely.    -15 Celsius seems more likely than the -15 Fahrenheit at Big Piney that day.  

Here's a weather/climate related trivia question that I don't know the answer to. Forgive me since it's not US related.

Why is the timberline lower in Scotland than in most of Norway?

It's easy to explain why the timberline is a little lower on Mount Shasta than in most of the Canadian Rockies, even though the Canadian Rockies are much farther North, but the Norway vs Scotland one is harder to explain.

Here's a weather/climate related trivia question that I don't know the answer to. Forgive me since it's not US related.

Why is the timberline lower in Scotland than in most of Norway?

It's easy to explain why the timberline is a little lower on Mount Shasta than in most of the Canadian Rockies, even though the Canadian Rockies are much farther North, but the Norway vs Scotland one is harder to explain.

I believe it has to do with Scotland having a fully maritime climate with cooler summers than Norway. Southern Norway is humid continental as soon as you get inland, which is not the case in Scotland. They fairly quickly transition to subpolar oceanic, and then to tundra. 

Here's one I don't know the answer to:

Where was the coldest sea level or near sea level (let's say within 100 feet) temperature recorded in the lower 48?

I know Portland Maine dropped to -39 on 2/16/1943, but is there another one lower than this?  

Here's one I don't know the answer to:

Where was the coldest sea level or near sea level (let's say within 100 feet) temperature recorded in the lower 48?

I know Portland Maine dropped to -39 on 2/16/1943, but is there another one lower than this?  

That's the first reading I would think of as well. 

Apparently, Hermosillo in NW Mexico hit 114F on October 24th. It's listed in the Wunderground summary as the hottest reading on Earth last month:

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/october-2017-earths-4th-warmest-october-record

Notable global heat and cold marks set for October 2017

Hottest temperature in the Northern Hemisphere: 45.7°C (114.3°F) at Hermosillo, Mexico, 24 October
Coldest temperature in the Northern Hemisphere: -45.2°C (-49.4°F) at Summit, Greenland, 28 October
Hottest temperature in the Southern Hemisphere: 45.3°C (113.5°F) at Tete, Mozambique, 27 October
Coldest temperature in the Southern Hemisphere: -68.8°C (-91.8°F) at Concordia, Antarctica, 1 October

This was of course during the record heat wave that was happening along the West coast at the time. Incredible reading. At least according to Wikipedia, the previous October record at Hermosillo was 110F. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the hottest temperature ever recorded in North America so late into the fall. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm inclined to believe the Eagle Nest reading, although I'm not 100% sure of its accuracy with regards to equipment calibration and placement. It appears very clearly in the original COOP form that month, both under April 5th and as the monthly low circled off to the right:

http://www1.ncdc.noa...28FF2388E3D.pdf

Of note, if the Eagle Nest reading really is legitimate, then Eagle Nest, rather than Deeth Nevada (12 to 87 on 9/21/1954) has the record for the largest daily diurnal temperature change in the country.  The high on 4/5/1945 at Eagle Nest was 47, giving the range that day of -36 to 47 = 83 degrees, which beats the Deeth record by a long shot.

Apparently, Hermosillo in NW Mexico hit 114F on October 24th. It's listed in the Wunderground summary as the hottest reading on Earth last month:

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/october-2017-earths-4th-warmest-october-record

Notable global heat and cold marks set for October 2017

Hottest temperature in the Northern Hemisphere: 45.7°C (114.3°F) at Hermosillo, Mexico, 24 October

Coldest temperature in the Northern Hemisphere: -45.2°C (-49.4°F) at Summit, Greenland, 28 October

Hottest temperature in the Southern Hemisphere: 45.3°C (113.5°F) at Tete, Mozambique, 27 October

Coldest temperature in the Southern Hemisphere: -68.8°C (-91.8°F) at Concordia, Antarctica, 1 October

This was of course during the record heat wave that was happening along the West coast at the time. Incredible reading. At least according to Wikipedia, the previous October record at Hermosillo was 110F. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the hottest temperature ever recorded in North America so late into the fall. 

Also of note is the 106 degree reading at Camarillo Airport in CA on October 23, 2017. Would have been the all-time record high if not for 108 degrees just reached on October 9, 2015. Very rare to get all-time records as late as 10/23 even in coastal California. Happened in October 1965 at a few stations (i.e. 96 at Fort Bragg on the 23rd) and more recently on October 26, 1993 when Eureka hit 87. 

Alberta

Jan: 70 Pekisko 25/1906; -78 Ft Vermilion 11/1911

Feb: 77 Pekisko 2/1906; -71 Ft Vermilion 1/1917

Mar: 84 Medicine Hat 23/1911; -53 Ft Vermilion 4/1955

Apr: 96 Medicine Hat 26/1910; -41 Springdale 2/1954 (thx WxStatman)

May: 99 Medicine Hat 5/1911; -18 Lake Louise 1/1954

Jun: 107 Medicine Hat 21/1900; 14 Lake Louise 1/1919

Jul: 110  Ft Macleod 18/1941; 19 Lake Louise 8/1981

Aug: 107 Empress 5/1961; 18 Lake Louise 28/1995

Sep: 101 Empress 5/1967; -13 Lake Louise 24/1926

Oct: 93 Medicine Hat 6/1889; -33 High Level 31/1984

Nov: 80 Pekisko 15/1905; -52 Sion 30/1919

Dec: 77 Ft Macleod 8/1903; -72 Ft Vermilion 31/1933

Monthly extremes at Rocky Mountain House Airport.

June:  12

August:  11  

Also of note is the 106 degree reading at Camarillo Airport in CA on October 23, 2017. Would have been the all-time record high if not for 108 degrees just reached on October 9, 2015. Very rare to get all-time records as late as 10/23 even in coastal California. Happened in October 1965 at a few stations (i.e. 96 at Fort Bragg on the 23rd) and more recently on October 26, 1993 when Eureka hit 87.

BTW, I just noticed that Eureka tied their all-time record on September 2nd of this year. 87 degrees. 

I'm thinking December 9, 1917 was probably the earliest occurrence of all-time record cold east of the Rockies. I'm aware of -16 at Mountain Home, Arkansas that morning, which is the all-time record low for that location (1902-present). Granted, that location was most likely colder in February 1899, when even Little Rock hit -12. 

I don't know of any other cold waves that produced all-time record lows before mid-December anywhere in the Great Plains, Midwest, NE or SE. 

I'm thinking December 9, 1917 was probably the earliest occurrence of all-time record cold east of the Rockies. I'm aware of -16 at Mountain Home, Arkansas that morning, which is the all-time record low for that location (1902-present). Granted, that location was most likely colder in February 1899, when even Little Rock hit -12. 

I don't know of any other cold waves that produced all-time record lows before mid-December anywhere in the Great Plains, Midwest, NE or SE. 

Technically Ocate, New Mexico (record low -31F on November 27 1976) is east of the Rockies, but not by much.  A few places in Texas got within one degree setting the all time record during that same cold snap, but I don't know any that actually did.

A few North Carolina stations have their record lows in November, but they don't have a long period of record, so can probably be dismissed.  

It wasn't the all time record, but here's one you may be interested in (though you probably already know about it, especially since you have mentioned the November 1950 cold snap before).

Muskegon County Airport (1927 to present), Michigan hit -14 on 11/25/1950.   This was the 5th coldest reading at the airport (in 1899 other places in the area were colder).    

Five coldest readings at Muskegon County Airport:

-19 on 2/4/1996

-16 on 2/8/1934

-16 on 2/9/1935

-15 on 12/31/1976

-14 on 11/25/1950

This is most unusual since in many parts of Michigan, April record lows are colder (sometimes quite a bit more so) than those in November.   At Muskegon Airport, November has been colder than January and not that far from the other winter months.

As far as the eastern states go, it wasn't the all time record, but the -21 November reading at Mt Mitchell North Carolina was impressive (I'd have to look up the date in my almanac though as I don't see it online and don't remember-maybe 1950).  That's a degree colder than the November record for Mount Washington.  

Technically Ocate, New Mexico (record low -31F on November 27 1976) is east of the Rockies, but not by much.  A few places in Texas got within one degree setting the all time record during that same cold snap, but I don't know any that actually did.

A few North Carolina stations have their record lows in November, but they don't have a long period of record, so can probably be dismissed.  

It wasn't the all time record, but here's one you may be interested in (though you probably already know about it, especially since you have mentioned the November 1950 cold snap before).

Muskegon County Airport (1927 to present), Michigan hit -14 on 11/25/1950.   This was the 5th coldest reading at the airport (in 1899 other places in the area were colder).    

Five coldest readings at Muskegon County Airport:

-19 on 2/4/1996

-16 on 2/8/1934

-16 on 2/9/1935

-15 on 12/31/1976

-14 on 11/25/1950

This is most unusual since in many parts of Michigan, April record lows are colder (sometimes quite a bit more so) than those in November.   At Muskegon Airport, November has been colder than January and not that far from the other winter months.

As far as the eastern states go, it wasn't the all time record, but the -21 November reading at Mt Mitchell North Carolina was impressive (I'd have to look up the date in my almanac though as I don't see it online and don't remember-maybe 1950).  That's a degree colder than the November record for Mount Washington.  

Ocate, NM actually hit -32 on 2/7/1989, but yeah the -31 from 11/27/1976 was the all-time record from 1897 until 1989. 

I wasn't aware of the Muskegon reading from Nov 1950. Really impressive. 

Ocate, NM actually hit -32 on 2/7/1989, but yeah the -31 from 11/27/1976 was the all-time record from 1897 until 1989. 

I wasn't aware of the Muskegon reading from Nov 1950. Really impressive. 

At a long time weather station, I did find one more fairly close November record dating to 1950.   

The 1950 November cold snap hit the southern states of Georgia, Kentucky, Tennessee, and parts of Florida extra hard.   For example, the 3F in Atlanta is only 2 degrees from the record at Chicago O'Hare and actually beats the modern station at Detroit.   It was a very impressive cold snap for that region.

Looking at some of the data in those states, Monterey 1E in Tennessee (1904 to present) came pretty close to the all time record on 11/25/1950.  The -7 recorded on that date is two degrees colder than the record low in January and 9 degrees colder than the record low in December.  Only a few February readings in 1951 and 1996 were colder.

Here are the coldest readings recorded recorded there:

-11 on 2/2/1951

-10 on 2/4/1996

-10 on 2/5/1996

-10 on 2/6/1996

-7 on 11/25/1950

Merritt Island Florida did record its all time record low on 11/26/1950, but the station only lasted from 1910 to 1950, so it may or may not count.  A few others with short record periods did as well.   The cold snap of January 1985 probably would have broken these records.  

Other stations in Florida did get close to setting all time record lows in November.

Beaufort 7SW (1893 to present) in South Carolina supposedly had its record low of 4 on 11/28/1943, but I don't think it's valid.   If that reading was from the 1950 cold snap, I would be more inclined to believe it, but not the 1943 reading.  

Colfax Louisiana (1926 to present) supposedly had its record low of 3 on 11/24/1962, but I don't think I believe this one either.

For the next one, I don't know what to think.  Parsons 1NE West Virginia (1899-present) supposedly had a record low of -28 on 11/23/1956 (and 1/13/1912).   There was a cold snap in West Virginia during that time period, but -28 does seem too cold, even though that location is a cold spot by West Virginia standards.   This one might be worth checking into.

Assuming the Parsons 1NE reading isn't valid, for a long term weather station, Mountain Home Arkansas might be the winner for the earliest record low east of the Rockies, at least since the Ocate New Mexico record was broken in 1989.  Several other places have gotten close (especially in the November 1950 [southeast US] and November 1976 [Texas and eastern New Mexico] cold snaps), but other than stations with a short period of record, Mountain Home may be the winner.   

At a long time weather station, I did find one more fairly close November record dating to 1950.   

The 1950 November cold snap hit the southern states of Georgia, Kentucky, Tennessee, and parts of Florida extra hard.   For example, the 3F in Atlanta is only 2 degrees from the record at Chicago O'Hare and actually beats the modern station at Detroit.   It was a very impressive cold snap for that region.

Looking at some of the data in those states, Monterey 1E in Tennessee (1904 to present) came pretty close to the all time record on 11/25/1950.  The -7 recorded on that date is two degrees colder than the record low in January and 9 degrees colder than the record low in December.  Only a few February readings in 1951 and 1996 were colder.

Here are the coldest readings recorded recorded there:

-11 on 2/2/1951

-10 on 2/4/1996

-10 on 2/5/1996

-10 on 2/6/1996

-7 on 11/25/1950

Merritt Island Florida did record its all time record low on 11/26/1950, but the station only lasted from 1910 to 1950, so it may or may not count.  A few others with short record periods did as well.   The cold snap of January 1985 probably would have broken these records.  

Other stations in Florida did get close to setting all time record lows in November.

Beaufort 7SW (1893 to present) in South Carolina supposedly had its record low of 4 on 11/28/1943, but I don't think it's valid.   If that reading was from the 1950 cold snap, I would be more inclined to believe it, but not the 1943 reading.  

Colfax Louisiana (1926 to present) supposedly had its record low of 3 on 11/24/1962, but I don't think I believe this one either.

For the next one, I don't know what to think.  Parsons 1NE West Virginia (1899-present) supposedly had a record low of -28 on 11/23/1956 (and 1/13/1912).   There was a cold snap in West Virginia during that time period, but -28 does seem too cold, even though that location is a cold spot by West Virginia standards.   This one might be worth checking into.

Assuming the Parsons 1NE reading isn't valid, for a long term weather station, Mountain Home Arkansas might be the winner for the earliest record low east of the Rockies, at least since the Ocate New Mexico record was broken in 1989.  Several other places have gotten close (especially in the November 1950 [southeast US] and November 1976 [Texas and eastern New Mexico] cold snaps), but other than stations with a short period of record, Mountain Home may be the winner.   

Great stuff. Yeah, I'm inclined not to believe those suspect readings that you highlighted. 

Speaking of November 1950, I'm also aware of a 13 degree reading (11/25/1950) at Savannah Beach, GA. This is a very exposed location that juts into the Atlantic. This station existed from 1938-1977, and only one reading was colder (12 on 1/30/1966, also 13 on 2/18/1958). Even the great January 1977 cold wave only dropped this station to 16, despite bringing snowfall to Homestead, FL as well as Freeport in the Bahamas. Although like you mentioned, the January 1985 cold wave would have probably taken care of business if that station didn't stop recording.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm inclined not to believe those suspect readings that you highlighted. 

Any thoughts on the -28 reading on 11/23/1956 at Parsons 1E?   This one seems suspect, but not entirely impossible.

Parsons has produced some impressive cold temperatures in other months (including freezing temperatures in every month).

PARSONS.JPG 

Canaan Valley West Virginia also reached -14 on 11/24/1956, which is the record low for November.

The -28 at Parsons 1E does seem remotely possible under ideal conditions.  

I did find one and I'm pretty sure it's valid.  Because of the Muskegon reading mentioned earlier, I checked other stations in that area.

Benton Harbor Michigan (1893-present) had its record low of -19 on 11/25/1950.   This one is collaborated by the -14 at Muskegon.  I see no reason to doubt the reading:

benton harbor.JPG

November usually isn't a big cold snap producer in Michigan, but it seems the November 1950 cold snap produced some impressive localized readings on the east shore of Lake Michigan between Muskegon and Benton Harbor. 

Edit:  Some sources say that Benton Harbor had a low of -21 on 1/12/1918, so maybe the -19 is really the second coldest reading.  Still, it is impressive for Michigan.   The November record would still be the record for the airport.

• Like 1

Here's another possible one, though it seems a bit too cold and on the wrong date, so I'm inclined not to believe it.   Not far away, Barnesville did hit -13 and Athens 5NW hit -12 during November 1958

Cosh.JPG

Of note, the 1950's sure does seem to have a near monopoly when it comes to impressive November cold snaps.   There were many in the 1950's and other than perhaps the localized ones in January 1950 and April 1955, most seem to be in November.

At a minimum impressive record breaking November cold snaps from the 1950's occurred in the following:

1950 (actually two separate cold snaps)

Maybe other years too.  

I have:

Parshall, ND (112/-60)

Tower, MN (101/-60) although the 101 from 1901 may not be legit

Ft. Yukon, AK (100/-78) and I don't consider the 100 from 1915 to be legit

Maybell, CO (102/-61)

Poplar/Poplar River, MT (110/-63)

Miles City, MT (113/-65) although the -65 at Fort Keough in 1888 was most likely bogus

Border, WY (102/-60)

Honorable mentions:

Medicine Lake, MT (117/-59)

Glasgow, MT (113/-59)

Hebgen Dam, MT (99/-60)

What do you have against the 1915 Fort Yukon record? Fairbanks, Circle, and Eagle Alaska often climb above 90F. Just doing a quick look at Dawson, Yukon from 1915, it didn't even hit 90F/32.2C in 1915, so hitting 100F seems at first glance to be a bit preposterous, but still, they are a couple hundred miles apart.

EDIT: I found this: https://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/baked-alaska-98-reading-ties-alltime-state-heat-record.html