Unusual weather trivia that is hard to google

Scott

Crested Butte reported a -26 on 10/28/1919.   There was a cold snap then, but -26 does seem too low.

I think that may be a data input error. It just happens to weirdly coincide with an actual cold snap. All of Crested Butte's monthly records for Jun-Oct in that WRCC table are from 1919-1921. Just looks odd. The CO monthly report lists -17 as the low for October 1919, at Dillon on the 28th. Crested Butte did hit -30 on 11/3/1991, so that area is capable of seeing those types of readings around Halloween. 

• Like 1

Any clue as to where Garnett (record low in November) is located?   I haven't been able to find that one.

Garnett is somewhere very close to Alamosa.  Perhaps that was the name of the settlement before Alamosa became a town??  I believe the reading is legit.  There was a -40 reading at Hermit, -37 and -36 Dulce and Gavilan, NM respectively as well as a -30 at Fort Defiance, AZ. 

• Like 1

Some numbers that I've been able to find:

MAR: 97 at Arapahoe 12S in 2012 (suspect, no other reading in CO above 89 that month)

MAY: -11 at Sugarloaf Reservoir in 2013

MAY: 107 at Ordway in 2002

AUG: 112 at Joes in 2008

Some close calls:

* 88 at Campo 7S in November 2017 (and 86 at a bunch of stations, i.e. Lamar, Las Animas, La Junta, etc.). The amazing thing is that these readings occurred late in the month, on the 27th-28th. 

* 88 at Holly in February 2016 (87 at Lamar Airport).

* 99 at Las Animas and Burlington in October 2015.

* 106 at John Martin Dam in September 2014. 

Thanks again for the info.  The -11 in May at Sugarloaf is a big surprise.  I had no idea it got that cold there in May 2013.  Do you think it is legit?

Thanks again for the info.  The -11 in May at Sugarloaf is a big surprise.  I had no idea it got that cold there in May 2013.  Do you think it is legit?

Looks that way to me. That was a bigtime late season airmass, complete with a historic May snowstorm on the plains. Arkansas recorded their first measurable May snowfall on record, at any of the stations. I remember Little Rock NWS put out a statement about this. 

In Colorado, minimums on 5/2/2013 included:

-11 @ Sugarloaf Reservoir

-8 @ Hohnholz Ranch

-7 @ Twin Lakes Reservoir

Also, a Snotel site (Long Draw Reservoir) recorded -9 that morning. Oklahoma just missed their state record with a reading of 20 at Boise City (Infoplease lists 19 @ Hooker in May 1909). In Utah, Buck Pasture Snotel hit -6 on 5/2/2013. Compare to a listed official record of 0 at Silver Lake Brighton in May 1965.

• Like 1

Looks that way to me. That was a bigtime late season airmass, complete with a historic May snowstorm on the plains. Arkansas recorded their first measurable May snowfall on record, at any of the stations. I remember Little Rock NWS put out a statement about this. 

In Colorado, minimums on 5/2/2013 included:

-11 @ Sugarloaf Reservoir

-8 @ Hohnholz Ranch

Also, a Snotel site (Long Draw Reservoir) recorded -9 that morning. Oklahoma just missed their state record with a reading of 20 at Boise City (Infoplease lists 19 @ Hooker in May 1909). In Utah, Buck Pasture Snotel hit -6 on 5/2/2013. Compare to a listed official record of 0 at Silver Lake Brighton in May 1965.

Yes, incredible weather system.   Chris Burt wrote up this synopsis pointing out some of the records that were set:

https://www.wunderground.com/blog/weatherhistorian/the-phenomenal-may-snowstorm-of-may-13-2013.html

Even Louisiana was in the 30's.   Mississippi dropped to freezing. Several places in Texas were in the 20's.  As far as cities in the Rockies go, Denver was 19, Cheyenne was 9, and Laramie was 7.

Chris also mentions the late May 1947 snowstorm, another impressive one:

may1947.jpg

Impressive since the record low in October is only 0.

• Like 1

Yes, incredible weather system.   Chris Burt wrote up this synopsis pointing out some of the records that were set:

https://www.wunderground.com/blog/weatherhistorian/the-phenomenal-may-snowstorm-of-may-13-2013.html

Even Louisiana was in the 30's.   Mississippi dropped to freezing. Several places in Texas were in the 20's.  As far as cities in the Rockies go, Denver was 19, Cheyenne was 9, and Laramie was 7.

Chris also mentions the late May 1947 snowstorm, another impressive one:

may1947.jpg

Impressive since the record low in October is only 0.

I double checked Mississippi since Chris Burt mentioned the possibility of a state record:

The temperature fell to 32° in Oxford, Mississippi on May 4th also an all-time May record. The coldest temperature ever measured anywhere in the state during the month of May is 30° at Tupelo in 1976, so there is a chance this record will be broken somewhere in Mississippi when all the COOP reports come in.

Sure enough, the Mississippi state record low for May was tied in 2013. Oakley Experiment Station fell to 30. Two other stations hit 31 degrees, Hickory Flat and Holly Springs. 

I checked Louisiana as well. Bottomed out at 32 degrees in Ashland, so the state monthly record (30 in 1925 @ Delhi) survived there. 

• Like 2

I checked Louisiana as well. Bottomed out at 32 degrees in Ashland, so the state monthly record (30 in 1925 @ Delhi) survived there. 

30 degrees is really impressive for Louisiana in May!

1925 was another interesting, but lesser known year for temperature extremes.  September 1925 had one of the most impressive heat waves on record in the Southeast.   Many locations had record highs then.    The Alabama state record of 110 on 9/5/1925 still stands.   It is the only existing state high temperature record that was recorded in September.  

Besides the areas right along the West Coast (especially California and Oregon), what's the earliest and latest in the Lower 48 that the hottest temperature of the year was recorded.

Conversely, also excluding the areas right along the West Coast, what the earliest and latest days of the year anywhere in the Lower 48 where the coldest temperature of the year was recorded?  

(I actually don't know the answers, so it might be fun to find out)

Besides the areas right along the West Coast (especially California and Oregon), what's the earliest and latest in the Lower 48 that the hottest temperature of the year was recorded.

Conversely, also excluding the areas right along the West Coast, what the earliest and latest days of the year anywhere in the Lower 48 where the coldest temperature of the year was recorded?

I assume the latest cold anomaly would be somewhere in the Great Lakes/Northeast region, but I’m only guessing.

Winter does seem to peak later in the East vs the West, for whatever reason.

dAtu1JX.jpg

I assume the latest cold anomaly would be somewhere in the Great Lakes/Northeast region, but I’m only guessing.

That would be my guess too (especially in Michigan and possibly coastal Maine), but out west it could be high in the mountains as well. In the high mountains, especially on slopes and ridges rather than in valleys, winter peaks later, often related to snow cover.

• Like 1

Here is my list of credible extremes in New Mexico:

Jan 88 1953, 1911 Pearl, Carlsbad   -47  1971, 1962 Eagle Nest

Feb 92 1902 Carlsbad   -50 1951 Gavilan

Mar 99 1946 Roswell   -34 1948 Eagle Nest

Apr 102 2012, 1965 Roswell FAA, Jal   -21 1945 Eagle Nest

May 110 2000, 1896 Bitter Lakes/Carlsbad AP, Hatch   -2 1967 Eagle Nest

June 118 1994 Ochoa   12 1946 Elizabethtown

July 116 1934 Orogrande   23 1955 Gavilan 

Aug 111 1934 Nara Vista/Obar   23 1968, 1944 Wolf Canyon, Selsor Ranch

Sept 108 1951 Jal   8 1912 Elizabethtown

Oct 101 2000, 1934 Bitter Lakes, Carlsbad   -15 1945 Red River

Nov 93 1934, 1902 Nara Vista/Obar, Carlsbad   -38 1976 Eagle Nest

Dec 87 1958 Hagerman   -47 1961 Dulce

​   

Let me know what you all think...

That would be my guess too (especially in Michigan and possibly coastal Maine), but out west it could be high in the mountains as well. In the high mountains, especially on slopes and ridges rather than in valleys, winter peaks later, often related to snow cover.

As examples, Salt Lake City has never recoded its coldest temperature of the year in March. Alta, only a few miles away and in the mountains has several times. In fact, at Alta it is pretty common for April to record temperatures as cold as January (including this year).

I also checked Rainier Paradise. In 1931, the coldest temperature of the year was on 4/18.

As examples, Salt Lake City has never recoded its coldest temperature of the year in March. Alta, only a few miles away and in the mountains has several times. In fact, at Alta it is pretty common for April to record temperatures as cold as January (including this year).

I also checked Rainier Paradise. In 1931, the coldest temperature of the year was on 4/18.

Interesting. I think we need WxStatman to settle this one.

-21 1945 Eagle Nest

It's hard to say about the -36 recorded at Eagles Nest in April 1945 (this has been discussed before).  It does seem a bit too cold, but this is not certain.   If the thermometer was reading too low when the -36 was recorded, then it also would have been recording too low when the -21 was recorded.  Personally I see problems with the Eagles Nest readings during that time period.  April 1945 had a historic cold snap in that region, but the data does look suspect at Eagle Nest.

Further, if the Eagle Nest reading really is legitimate, then Eagle Nest, rather than Deeth Nevada (12 to 87 on 9/21/1954) has the record for the largest daily diurnal temperature change in the country.  The high on 4/5/1945 at Eagle Nest was 47, giving the range that day of -36 to 47 = 83 degrees, which beats the Deeth record by a long shot.  I still think that the readings at Eagle Nest are suspicious, including the -21 (though if it were just the -21 recorded then I'd be less suspicious).   

Here are the reported temperatures for those dates:

4/4 = 40/-21

4/5 = 47/-36

4/6 = 56/-16

4/7 = 61/-2

Eagle Nest does have some really high diurnal changes, but those just seem too much.  In addition, outside of 1945, Eagle Nest has never recorded anything below -12 in April.

​   

Good job on weeding out the 100 at Carlsbad in February 1904, the 104 in April 1934 at Artesia, the 122 in June at Waste Isolation Plant, and the 115 in June at the Waste Isolation plant.  They were almost surely over exposed.   I don't know if I'd trust the 92 either; in 1902 there were lots of readings that seem to high throughout the year.  I wouldn't trust the 1902-1904 readings at Carlsbad.

The 10 at Lybrook (listed as the official June record) on 6/6/1982 is definitely bogus.  I don't know how that one slipped through the data compilers.    The 19 reported in July 1935 in Therma/Eagle Nest is also not valid.    

Orogrande supposedly recorded a 116 (as you point out) in July 1934 and a 112 in September 1948.  Both readings do seem a bit high.   Both were during verified heat waves, but the readings do stand out from the others recorded during heat waves at that station.

I'm going to go with Crater Lake Oregon on 4/27/1991 as having the latest coldest day of the year outside the area immediately on the coast.   I think it is legitimate and I can't imagine anywhere later that that (at least if some of the readings at White Mountain 2 are discounted).

Still, it would be interesting to know what the answer is for states East of the Rockies.  There has got to be some late ones in places like Michigan and Maine.  I checked Marquette and see a 3/16 in 1998, but there are almost surely some later than that.

I'm going to go with Crater Lake Oregon on 4/27/1991 as having the latest coldest day of the year outside the area immediately on the coast. I think it is legitimate and I can't imagine anywhere later that that.

Still, it would be interesting to know what the answer is for states East of the Rockies. There has got to be some late ones in places like Michigan and Maine.

Hmm, that seems a bit far-fetched, considering the cold airmasses present during the winter of 1990/91.

I’ll have to look at reanalysis to be sure, but that would certainly be a head scratcher to pull off a colder low in spite of temperatures aloft being 10-15*F warmer, not to mention a very strong Sun.

Hmm, that seems a bit far-fetched, considering the cold airmasses present during the winter of 1990/91.

I’ll have to look at reanalysis to be sure, but that would certainly be a head scratcher to pull off a colder low in spite of temperatures aloft being 10-15*F warmer, not to mention a very strong Sun. 

Other mountain locations reported a similar pattern.   Laurel Mountain Oregon also had its coldest temperature of the year in April 1991.  Rainier Paradise for example missed the coldest day of the year in April 1991 by only four degrees.  

Other mountain locations reported a similar pattern. Laurel Mountain Oregon also had its coldest temperature of the year in April 1991. Rainier Paradise for example missed the coldest day of the year in April 1991 by only four degrees.

I’ll check the thermals on the ECMWF-based reanalyses tomorrow, but I’m super skeptical of both readings based on what I found on ESRL. There really is nothing about the thermodynamics of mountain climates that should produce such outrageously cold late-season lows relative to what conditions aloft would indicate.

I can think of a few ways in which sensors exposed to excessive rime icing (common in mountainous, high altitude locations) could read too cold, though.

There’s nothing about the thermodynamics of mountain climates that should produce such outrageously cold late-season lows.

They weren't that cold; it's just that winter didn't get that cold there after December 1990.  The cooler air only persisted at lower elevations by January. 

Crater Lake was 7 on 4/27/1991.   Even in an average year it gets down to 9, so 7 isn't that out of the ordinary (May has dropped to 5 and June has dropped to 10).  April 1991 was a cold month in that region and the Rockies as well.  

At Crater Lake the average extreme low is 2 in January, 3 in February, 5 in March, and 9 in April.  Even in an average year, January doesn't get much colder than April.  

In January, the average low is 18 vs. 22 in April.    That's only a four degree difference, even in average low temperatures.  

In 1936, the coldest reading of the year was also in April.

• Like 1

Ahhh, okay. I thought you were talking about the coldest temperatures of the entire winter season, not just the portion after January 1st.

I was getting super confused there for a second.

• Like 1

Ahhh, okay. I thought you were talking about the coldest temperatures of the entire winter season, not just the portion after January 1st.

I was getting super confused there for a second.

That would be interesting too. I was just looking at Calendar years, but in winter, perhaps the entire winter season would be more interesting.

Anyway, if you are interested, you can see that April at Crater Lake sometimes does get close to having the coldest temperatures of the season, even when counting the entire winter:

Crater Lake.JPG

Deep snow cover (the snow is much deeper in April than it is in December and January) prevents the high mountains from warming up. Since 1991, the average coldest readings in the first four months of the year are 6 in January, 6 in February, 7 in March, 10 in April, and 9 in December. There isn't much difference in the coldest readings between December and April, even in an average year.

Unlike the lowlands, the weather is more consistently cold rather than constantly up and down, at least not as as much. In winter, places like Crater Lake or Rainier Paradise really don't have that cold of extremes, especially compared to similar mountain locations in other places (including New England). In late spring and summer they do produce some impressive cold readings.

That would be interesting too. I was just looking at Calendar years, but in winter, perhaps the entire winter season would be more interesting.

Anyway, if you are interested you can see that April at Crater Lake sometimes does get close to having the coldest temperatures of the season, even when counting the entire winter:

Crater Lake.JPG

Ah. Close, but no cigar. How far back does that period of record go, btw? I’ll bet there were some seriously cold lows in December 1990 and February 1989, just before that cutoff date.

Deep snow cover (the snow is much deeper in April than it is in December and January) prevents the high mountains from warming up. Since 1991, the average coldest readings in the first four months of the year are 6 in January, 6 in February, 7 in March, 10 in April, and 9 in December. There isn't much difference in the coldest readings between December and April, even in an average year.

We see this in the Arctic and across much of Northern Canada as well, where the coldest temperatures will tend to occur in March.

That said, it’s not super unusual for March to feature the coldest temperatures of the winter in many locations across the lower-48, from time to time. Even here, in the Great Swamp, it has happened as recently as 2014, when it hit -4*F on March 2nd and 4th. Snowcover definitely does the trick.

Unlike the lowlands, the weather is more consistently cold rather than constantly up and down, at least not as as much. Places like Crater Lake or Rainier Paradise really don't have that cold of extremes, especially compared to similar mountain locations in other places (including New England).

Interesting stuff. I can imagine with the Pacific next door, it’d be tougher to get cold extremes west of the Rockies..but of course that also means craploads of snow. ☃️

Ah. Close, but no cigar. How far back does that period of record go, btw? 

1919.  Crater Lake hit -13 in February 1989 and December 1990.   Chilly, but that's nothing compared to how cold it got in other areas.

That said, it’s not super unusual for March to feature the coldest temperatures of the winter in many locations across the lower-48

Yes.  The only place I know of where it doesn't happen is in some areas on the west side of the Rockies, for example Salt Lake City.  Even Denver occasionally has the coldest day of the year in March.  It is very common in places like Michigan.   It's not that uncommon at Coastal Maine and Upstate New York either.  

Some places even have their all time low records in March.  Several places in Iowa, South Carolina, and Michigan do.  A few places in the Dakotas, Nebraska, and Kansas also do, usually on 3/11 due to the March cold snap in 1948. 

Interestingly Allenspark Colorado (in the mountains) has had two weather stations.  Both recorded their all time record lows in March, and in different years.  Allenpark Lodge (1948 to 1993) had its all time record low of -38 on 3/12/1984.   Allenspark 3NW (1994-2018) had its all time record low of -23 on 3/2/2002.

Conversely, in the West it is pretty common to have the coldest day of the year in November, something that is rare in the East.  Even away from the Coast, out West it can even happen in October.   In 2002, Spokane, for example, the coldest reading of the year was on 10/31.   Boise missed it my one degree. 

We see this in the Arctic and across much of Northern Canada as well, where the coldest temperatures will tend to occur in March. 

Yes, especially in places like far Eastern Canada, far Northern Canada and Alaska, and also the Aleutian Islands and Bering Sea.  Although February tends to be the coldest month in some of those areas, March is colder than January.  

A few examples:

https://wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?ak1312

https://wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?ak7442

https://wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?ak3226

On the eastern side of things, even in places like St Johns, Newfoundland, March isn't much warmer than January and is colder than December.  

• Like 1

One thing that is both interesting and puzzling is that the Midwest, Northern Plains, and Eastern US also have early season heat waves.

April has had the warmest reading of the year several times and in several cities in the Northern Plains, Mid-west and Eastern US.  Even Fargo North Dakota has hit 100 in April.  A lot of normally hotter cities out west haven't gotten close to 100 in April.  

Away from the Coast, even having the hottest reading of the year in May is extremely rare.  Only a few locations have ever done it (and I don't know any that have done it in April away from the coast).   I know in Salt Lake City for example, the earliest date for the warmest day of the year was on 6/14/1987.

Also interesting is that away from the Coast, out West, having the hottest reading of the year in September is also extremely rare.   The only time I can think of it happening to several places was on 9/1/1950.  East of the Rockies, having the hottest day of the year in September is fairly common.  

• Like 1

1919. Crater Lake hit -13 in February 1989 and December 1990. Chilly, but that's nothing compared to how cold it got in other areas.

Yes. The only place I know of where it doesn't happen is in some areas on the west side of the Rockies, for example Salt Lake City. Even Denver occasionally has the coldest day of the year in March. It is very common in places like Michigan. It's not that uncommon at Coastal Maine and Upstate New York either.

Some places even have their all time low records in March. Several places in Iowa, South Carolina, and Michigan do. A few places in the Dakotas, Nebraska, and Kansas also do, usually on 3/11 due to the March cold snap in 1948.

Interestingly Allenspark Colorado (in the mountains) has had two weather stations. Both recorded their all time record lows in March, and in different years. Allenpark Lodge (1948 to 1993) had its all time record low of -38 on 3/12/1984. Allenspark 3NW (1994-2018) had its all time record low of -23 on 3/2/2002.

Conversely, in the West it is pretty common to have the coldest day of the year in November, something that is rare in the East. Even away from the Coast, out West it can even happen in October. In 2002, Spokane, for example, the coldest reading of the year was on 10/31. Boise missed it my one degree.

Yes, especially in places like far Eastern Canada, far Northern Canada and Alaska, and also the Aleutian Islands and Bering Sea. Although February tends to be the coldest month in some of those areas, March is colder than January.

A few examples:

https://wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?ak1312

https://wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?ak7442

https://wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?ak3226

On the eastern side of things, even in places like St Johns, Newfoundland, March isn't much warmer than January and is colder than December.

The fact that the West can observe its coldest temperatures in November has always baffled me. The Pacific Ocean is still quite warm, and it’s right upstream.

November is still a warmish, autumn month here. It is extraordinarily rare to observe the coldest temperatures of the winter in November here. It’s more likely to happen in March or early April than November.

• Like 1

One thing that is both interesting and puzzling is that the Midwest, Northern Plains, and Eastern US also have early season heat waves.

April has had the warmest reading of the year several times and in several cities in the Northern Plains, Mid-west and Eastern US. Even Fargo North Dakota has hit 100 in April. A lot of normally hotter cities out west haven't gotten close to 100 in April.

Away from the Coast, even having the hottest reading of the year in May is extremely rare. Only a few locations have ever done it (and I don't know any that have done it in April away from the coast). I know in Salt Lake City for example, the earliest date for the warmest day of the year was on 6/14/1987.

Also interesting is that away from the Coast, out West, having the hottest reading of the year in September is also extremely rare. The only time I can think of it happening to several places was on 9/1/1950. East of the Rockies, having the hottest day of the year in September is fairly common.

Yeah, the transition into the summer Bermuda High circulation is pretty quick, and once it happens the pattern tends to be very stable. So blasts of heat are a possibility from May - September with the dominant southwesterly flow.

Seems the Plains get the early heat more frequently than the East does, though considering it will be 92*F here in two days, maybe not. Lol.

• Like 1

Lots of interesting possibilities to explore. I don't have the time, but a couple jump out at me right away:

-The October 1941 heat wave in the mid-Atlantic produced highest readings for that year in places like Walkerton, VA (101 on 10/6, state monthly record) as well as in a number of other towns. 

-The March 1998 heat wave in New England - highest readings for 1998 at places like Reading, MA (92 on 3/31) and Bakersville, CT (90 on 3/31). These readings probably occurred on 3/30 given the usual COOP offset. 

• Like 2

Here's an interesting example on the cold side - there are places on Long Island that not only recorded their coldest temps of the winter, but came close to setting all-time record lows on March 19, 1967. For example, Patchogue NY hit -7 that morning. The all-time record low in a 1937-1997 POR was only -13 at that location (January 1984). 

• Like 2

​   

I did a (very) quick look to see if I could add to these. I didn't find much. Hobbs also hit 101 in October 2000. Looks like Roswell hit 91 in Feb. 2016, just missing the state record. 

• Like 1

Haha. Santiam Pass, OR in 1966-67 is about the best example I'm aware of. Coldest reading of the winter season was 4 on 4/19/1967. It takes a pretty epic blowtorch preceding winter to pull that off. 

• Like 1

April has had the warmest reading of the year several times and in several cities in the Northern Plains, Mid-west and Eastern US.  Even Fargo North Dakota has hit 100 in April.  A lot of normally hotter cities out west haven't gotten close to 100 in April.  

Away from the Coast, even having the hottest reading of the year in May is extremely rare.  Only a few locations have ever done it (and I don't know any that have done it in April away from the coast).   I know in Salt Lake City for example, the earliest date for the warmest day of the year was on 6/14/1987.

Also interesting is that away from the Coast, out West, having the hottest reading of the year in September is also extremely rare.   The only time I can think of it happening to several places was on 9/1/1950.  East of the Rockies, having the hottest day of the year in September is fairly common.  

It happens once in a while. Just need a record September heat wave following a cool summer. Examples I can think of are 1950, 1955, 1988, 2011, etc. In the case of 1988, that heat wave was so impressive that it would have topped even non-cool summers. 

• Like 1

It happens once in a while. Just need a record September heat wave following a cool summer. Examples I can think of are 1950, 1955, 1988, 2011, etc. In the case of 1988, that heat wave was so impressive that it would have topped even non-cool summers. 

I know September 1988 had the hottest day of the year along some of the coast, but did it happen inland in the West?   I also knew about the 2011 heatwave in places such as Oklahoma, Louisiana, and Texas, but did non-coastal areas out West also record their highs in September?

Anyway, the September 1950 heat wave was in a league of its own.  The desert Southwest usually has it's highest temperatures early in summer, but 1950 set several all time record highs in that region   Phoenix hit 118, which used to be the all time record high before it was broken in 1990.  

BTW, here is my provisional list of Oregon monthly records:

JAN: 80 1984 Brookings; -52 1937 Austin

FEB: 85 2016, 1992 Coquille, Coquille/Myrtle Point; -54 1933 Seneca, Ukiah

MAR: 91 1911 Dayville; -30 1922 Fremont

APR: 99 1926 Echo; -23 1936 Meacham

MAY: 108 2008, 1986 Cave Junction, Pelton Dam; 4 1954 Fremont

JUN: 112 2015, 1924 Pilot Rock, Echo; 10 1931 Fremont

JUL: 117 1939 Umatilla; 14 1955 Fremont

AUG: 116 1961 Spray; 13 1937 Seneca

SEP: 111 1955 Illahe; 2 1970, 1926 Fremont, Harney Branch

OCT: 104 1980 Dora, Lost Creek Dam; -11 2002 Seneca, Fort Rock

NOV: 88 1929 Brookings; -32 1985, 1955, 1896 Ukiah, Ukiah, Silver Lake

DEC: 80 1980 Port Orford; -48 1983 Seneca

A number of tough decisions once you get past the obviously bogus readings. 

-Pelton Dam ran conspicuously warm during the 1990's and early 2000's. I discounted readings of 113 in June 1992, 117 in August 1998, and 108 in May 2001. 

-The July 1939 Umatilla reading is probably a little over-exposed. Tossup between including it, or instead going with 116 in July 1928 @ Pilot Rock and 116 in July 2007 @ Monument.

-The -53 readings in Dec. 1924 @ both Riverside and Drewsey were extrapolated, so would not be considered official today. Same reason why the 119 at Pendleton in August 1898 would not be official - also an extrapolated reading. 

Any input is welcome.

Lots of interesting possibilities to explore. I don't have the time, but a couple jump out at me right away:

-The October 1941 heat wave in the mid-Atlantic produced highest readings for that year in places like Walkerton, VA (101 on 10/6, state monthly record) as well as in a number of other towns.

-The March 1998 heat wave in New England - highest readings for 1998 at places like Reading, MA (92 on 3/31) and Bakersville, CT (90 on 3/31). These readings probably occurred on 3/30 given the usual COOP offset.

Surprisingly Minnesota and North Dakota have had quite a few very impressive late season heatwaves. Here are some:

October 1992; North Dakota, Northern Minnesota, and Wisconsin

Several places in North Dakota, Northern Minnesota, and Wisconsin either had their warmest temperature on the year on 10/1/1992 through 10/3/1992 or missed it by just 1 degree.

Warmest temperature of the year in 10/1992

88 at Bruno MN 7ENE

93 Cavalier 7 NW ND (only 90 or higher reading of 1992!)

93 Grand Forks University ND

Missed warmest temperature of the year in 10/1992 by one degree

88 at Brainerd MN

87 at Moose Lake MN 1 SSE

88 at Madeline WI

89 at Superior WI

92 Grand Forks IA ND

92 at Cooperstown ND

94 Hansboro 4NNE ND

October 11 2015 North Dakota and Western Minnesota

North Dakota and Western Minnesota has a historical heatwave on 10/11/2015. Several places were in the 90's. The most incredible readings were 97 at Fargo ND and Moorehead MN which were the hottest temperatures of the year. At first I did wonder about the 97 though since it almost seems too hot, but it seems valid and both stations on either side of the river recorded 97. Several other places in North Dakota were in the lower to mid 90's on the same day. Also, Fargo did hit 93 in 10/1922 and 10/1963.

Places such as Detroit Lakes ND, Mayville ND did get within 1-2 degrees of the hottest temperature of the year.

More:

https://www.weather.gov/fgf/October_2015_Climate

https://www.weather.gov/fgf/20151011_RecordHeat_Winds

As far as early heat waves go, Fargo has also hit 100 in April.

October 1963 North Dakota and Northern Minnesota

Most readings were from 10/6.

Warmest temperature of the year in 10/1963

98 at Beardsley MN

92 at Cass Lake MN (only 90 or warmer of the year!)

94 at Bemidji MN

92 at Itasca MN

Missed warmest temperature of the year in 10/1963 by one degree

92 at Edmore 4NW ND

92 at Langdon ND

91 at Detriot Lakes MN 1NNE

94 at Wadena MN

91 at Fosston MN 1NE

1997 and 2011 also produced October heatwaves in Minnesota where some locations had their hottest tempertures of the year.

Surprisingly Northern Minnesota seems to be more prone to late season heatwaves than southern Minnesota, but I don't know why this is.

---------------------------------------------------

October 1954 in South Carolina also comes to mind. I know some of the all time October records tied or exceeded the all time September records, but I don't know if any locations had their hottest day of the year then because 1954 also had some record breaking high temperatures in summer.

Southern Texas has recorded the warmest day of the year anytime between March and October, but this was discussed earlier on the thread.

• Like 1

BTW, here is my provisional list of Oregon monthly records:

Looks good.

The 119's at Pendelton and Prineville are almost certainly invalid. If I remember right, at least one 1898 reading was an average of more than one thermometer reading in town?

The -53 readings in Dec. 1924 @ both Riverside and Drewsey were extrapolated, so would not be considered official today.

Ukiah was "only" -26 then, so those readings do seem a bit low. It's too bad the Seneca station wasn't reporting then. It would be interesting to see what the temperature was there.

I know September 1988 had the hottest day of the year along some of the coast, but did it happen inland in the West?   I also knew about the 2011 heatwave in places such as Oklahoma, Louisiana, and Texas, but did non-coastal areas out West also record their highs in September?

Anyway, the September 1950 heat wave was in a league of its own.  The desert Southwest usually has it's highest temperatures early in summer, but 1950 set several all time record highs in that region   Phoenix hit 118, which used to be the all time record high before it was broken in 1990.  

Yeah, September 1950 had a pretty amazing heat wave in the desert SW. 

September 1988 was a unique event here in the PNW. Some stations in the Cascades set all-time record highs. For example, 107 at Detroit Dam, OR and 101 at Cedar Lake, WA. The 105 at PDX came within 2F of the all-time record. 

For a very late season example east of the Cascades, there's September 1963. A record heat wave covered the western US late that month (same ridge that brought 111 to San Diego, their all-time record). This heat wave followed a very cool summer, so we had the perfect recipe for very late-season annual maximums east of the Cascades. Readings of 97 in Redmond and 95 in Prineville on 9/27 were the highest for the year, and the same happened at a bunch of other stations. Most impressive was the 102 in Wallowa on 9/29, in far northeastern OR. 

As far as September 2011, the majority of stations in the Columbia Basin had their hottest weather of the year on 9/10-9/13. 

• Like 1

Surprisingly Minnesota and North Dakota have had quite a few very impressive late season heatwaves. Here are some:

October 1992; North Dakota, Northern Minnesota, and Wisconsin

Several places in North Dakota, Northern Minnesota, and Wisconsin either had their warmest temperature on the year on 10/1/1992 through 10/3/1992 or missed it by just 1 degree.

Warmest temperature of the year in 10/1992

88 at Bruno MN 7ENE

93 Cavalier 7 NW ND (only 90 or higher reading of 1992!)

93 Grand Forks University ND

Missed warmest temperature of the year in 10/1992 by one degree

88 at Brainerd MN

87 at Moose Lake MN 1 SSE

88 at Madeline WI

89 at Superior WI

92 Grand Forks IA ND

92 at Cooperstown ND

94 Hansboro 4NNE ND

October 11 2015 North Dakota and Western Minnesota

North Dakota and Western Minnesota has a historical heatwave on 10/11/2015. Several places were in the 90's. The most incredible reading was 97 at Fargo, which was the hottest temperature of the year. At first I did wonder about the 97 though since it almost seems too hot, but it seems valid. Fargo has hit 100 in April. Several other places in North Dakota were in the lower to mid 90's on the same day. Also, Fargo did hit 93 in 10/1922 and 10/1963.

Places such as Detroit Lakes ND, Mayville ND did get within 1-2 degrees of the hottest temperature of the year.

More:

https://www.weather.gov/fgf/October_2015_Climate

October 1963 North Dakota and Northern Minnesota

Most readings were from 10/6.

Warmest temperature of the year in 10/1963

98 at Beardsley MN

92 at Cass Lake MN (only 90 or warmer of the year!)

94 at Bemidji MN

92 at Itasca MN

Missed warmest temperature of the year in 10/1963 by one degree

92 at Edmore 4NW ND

92 at Langdon ND

91 at Detriot Lakes MN 1NNE

94 at Wadena MN

91 at Fosston MN 1NE

1997 and 2011 also produced October heatwaves in Minnesota where some locations had their hottest tempertures of the year.

Surprisingly Northern Minnesota seems to be more prone to late season heatwaves than southern Minnesota, but I don't know why this is.

---------------------------------------------------

October 1954 in South Carolina also comes to mind. I know some of the all time October records tied or exceeded the all time September records, but I don't know if any locations had their hottest day of the year then because 1954 also had some record breaking high temperatures in summer.

Southern Texas has recorded the warmest day of the year anytime between March and October, but this was discussed earlier on the thread.

The October 2015 heat wave in the Red River valley is a great example. That one slipped my mind. I think the 97 at Fargo on 10/11 is legit. Breckenridge and Browns Valley both hit 96, and they're in western MN not too far from Fargo. Especially Breckenridge. Maybe 20 miles SE. 

• Like 1

Looks good.

The 119's at Pendelton and Prineville are almost certainly invalid. If I remember right, at least one 1898 reading was an average of more than one thermometer reading in town?

Ukiah was "only" -26 then, so those readings do seem a bit low. It's too bad the Seneca station wasn't reporting then. It would be interesting to see what the temperature was there.

Well, as far as I recall IbrChris was the one who brought up the fact that the 1898 Pendleton reading was extrapolated from a thermo that couldn't actually read that high. Maybe I'm forgetting though. I know for a fact this practice used to happen (and be accepted by the Weather Bureau). For example, the alcohol-based minimum thermometers at both Riverside and Drewsey were only calibrated & marked down to -45 degrees. So the December 1924 readings were extrapolated by both COOP observers - this information according to the written summary in the Dec. 1924 OR state monthly climo report. 

Agreed about Seneca. They missed out on some big cold waves in that era. 

Dec. 1924 did bring a bunch of very impressive readings to eastern OR, so the -26 at Ukiah is a bit misleading. Some other readings were -45 at Harney Branch, -43 at Blitzen, -41 at Harper, -40 at Fremont, and a very impressive -40 at Madras. Obviously both Riverside and Drewsey pegged at the calibrated minimum of -45 as well. So it's certainly plausible that both stations actually dipped to -50 or lower...it just wasn't officially recorded. 

• Like 1