ENSO Discussion

snow_wizard

We often see even stronger IO forcing signals in bonafide weak-moderate NINOs but that clearly doesn't make them any less NINO so this point is pretty mute in the context of modern events if you're going to play the E hem interference card.

What's very obvious here which is the point of what I've been saying this entire time is we've already significantly deviated from the "normal"/average state in the Pacific.

You will not see a predominant, anomalous, persistent convective anomaly near the dateline during "normal" or near-normal ENSO, that's pretty elementary knowledge.

I’m not sure we’re going to agree on this one, brother. In the absence of any stable low pass signal in the upper levels/velocity potential, and the muted SSTAs (the last six weeks have averaged +0.4C in ONI) to argue this is any kind of established El Niño strains credulity. The negative OLR over the IPWP is a reflection of the stronger walker cell this winter vs niño climo (impossible to deny this..the Hadley/Walker intensity ratio has not been consistently niño-esque).

I think if you call this a niño, then you have to consider all winters either El Niño or La Niña and eliminate neutral.

If the argument now is going to be that this isn't a NINO event based on some highly subjective analysis of the distribution of OLR in the Pacific & Maritime Continent that's obviously fraught w/ personal biases, the OLR/precipitation indices are both in NINO territory (above 0.5 sigma which roughly corresponds to the CPC ONI threshold in terms of sigma) in January & going to be even higher for February.

I don’t see how we make 5 trimonthlies AOA +0.5C. The timing of the KW return will make that tough in the near term even with the nuclear WWB ongoing.

• 3 weeks later...

Between 62-68% of days in Jan/Feb fell below Niño threshold on all but one SST dataset (not including Hadley which isn’t out yet). However, it looks like hotbox OISSTv2 saved CPC’s arse at the last minute in February with the late spike.

So, I guess I’ll roll with it. Doesn’t change my view on what unfolded, but questioning the data and the institution that serves as the foundation for so much research is not a great look.

After struggling along through all of 2018 (and the first two months of 2019) the El Niño is finally looking legitimate as we approach the equinox.

Statistically speaking, when the ONI increases from NDJ to FMA and is in positive territory, it almost always forbodes a niño in the subsequent winter.

odeI9x9.png

jjMF5TS.png

After struggling along through all of 2018 (and the first two months of 2019) the El Niño is finally looking legitimate as we approach the equinox.

Statistically speaking, when the ONI increases from NDJ to FMA and is in positive territory, it almost always forbodes a niño in the subsequent winter.

odeI9x9.png

jjMF5TS.png

Truly mind blowing we are sitting here with continued cold weather in March with that kind of a Nino.  I'm still not sold on a Nino next winter, but it's certainly possible.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Truly mind blowing we are sitting here with continued cold weather in March with that kind of a Nino.  I'm still not sold on a Nino next winter, but it's certainly possible.

The seeds for this cold spell were sown way before the recent spike and probably unrelated to ENSO.   It has to take awhile for the atmosphere to respond.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

The seeds for this cold spell were sown way before the recent spike and probably unrelated to ENSO.   It has to take awhile for the atmosphere to respond.

Very true.  I think the freakish SOI spike where the 30 day value reached +10 could have been the trigger.  I was thinking the other day the Pacific had been largely shut down for quite some time before the cold weather began.  At first the configuration simply wasn't favorable for us to get cold.  It's possible this recent ENSO warm spike could trigger some warm weather a bit down the road.  Such a strange year it's impossible to know anything for sure.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The seeds for this cold spell were sown way before the recent spike and probably unrelated to ENSO. It has to take awhile for the atmosphere to respond.

The atmosphere is already in an El Niño state, for all intents and purposes. In fact, February was one of the most niño-like tropical forcing patterns I’ve ever seen.

The extratropical wavetrain also plays a huge role in seeding ENSO (which it has already done), so it’s a two way street. The QBO and tje lower frequency, solar-driven warm pool cycle also play significant roles.

So it’s not like the atmosphere is out of sync or something..it’s perfectly in sync. A niño can easily teleconnect to a cool, stormy West under certain boundary conditions.

• Like 1

Here was the tropical forcing structure in February. It doesn’t get more El Niño than this (red is anomalous subsidence, blue is anomalous convection).

The residual effects on the wavetrain following the SSW just completely smothered the climatological EOF stations across the NH.

2D1EJ8b.gif

You can even see the STJ/diabatic feed into the SW US there. It’s a fully coupled machine. The question is whether the SSW and hydrostatic perturbation to the structure of the tropical cell network was enough to pull off what the 2013 event did, and force another climate shift lasting at least several years. We’ll see.

• Like 2

I think it’s a misconception, especially after the last several years, that +ENSO has to = warmth in the west. That is absolutely not true, even if +ENSO is an easier conduit for western warmth (which it is..there’s no denying that). Out here on the east coast, some of the coldest, and snowiest months (and winters in general) on record have been La Niñas and cold neutrals.

And while our weather patterns are more chaotic and less dynamically chained to the structure of ENSO/warm pool forcing, the North Pacific wavetrain is most certainly capable of its own degree of freedom, especially if the boundary conditions set peripherally over Eurasia/NATL constructively promote a severing of the metaphorical shackles imposed by the WPAC warm pool/ENSO machine (which the SSW did this winter).

Look at cases like 1968/69, 1972/73, or to a lesser extent the early parts of 2006/07 and 2009/10. The idea that +ENSO is a death sentence for western winters is really an artifact of more recent times. Back in the LIA, it wasn’t nearly as much of an issue as it is now since the climatological location of the Indo-West Pacific Warm Pool was so much farther to the Southwest and consolidated. If that is happening again (long way from knowing that) then the ENSO/wavetrain relationship across the NPAC will change once again.

I think it’s a misconception, especially after the last several years, that +ENSO has to = warmth in the west. That is absolutely not true, even if +ENSO is an easier conduit for western warmth (which it is..there’s no denying that). Out here on the east coast, some of the coldest, and snowiest months (and winters in general) on record have been La Niñas and cold neutrals.

And while our weather patterns are more chaotic and less dynamically chained to the structure of ENSO/warm pool forcing, the North Pacific wavetrain is most certainly capable of its own degree of freedom, especially if the boundary conditions set peripherally over Eurasia/NATL constructively promote a severing of the metaphorical shackles imposed by the WPAC warm pool/ENSO machine (which the SSW did this winter).

Look at cases like 1968/69, 1972/73, or to a lesser extent the early parts of 2006/07 and 2009/10. The idea that +ENSO is a death sentence for western winters is really an artifact of more recent times. Back in the LIA, it wasn’t nearly as much of an issue as it is now since the climatological location of the Indo-West Pacific Warm Pool was so much farther to the Southwest and consolidated. If that is happening again (long way from knowing that) then the ENSO/wavetrain relationship across the NPAC will change once again.

it's funny how many tends to beleave the El ninos being the east coast cold snowy winter's when in fact it a relative new trend of el ninos being blockbusters and !a ninas being the suck fests.it use to be as you said the other way around the ninos were the suck fests and the ninas were the blockbusters.
  • Like 1

Intense upwelling of cold water in region 1+2 right now is already spilling into Nino region 3.  Looks like the El Nino is going to get the stuffins knocked out of it again.  This has to be the most unstable ENSO I've ever seen.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Intense upwelling of cold water in region 1+2 right now is already spilling into Nino region 3. Looks like the El Nino is going to get the stuffins knocked out of it again. This has to be the most unstable ENSO I've ever seen.

Going to be hard to wish this one away, I think.

Not only is there a downwelling KW present but there’s another WWB in the pipeline for later this month.

• 1 month later...

This could be the moment of truth for the future (or lack therof) for this El Nino.  For the first time in a year the Equatorial subsurface sea temps at 155 meters are not warmer than normal.  If we can avoid a WWB for a while longer this Nino may peak in the early summer and fall from there.  As of right now no WWB is in sight.

post-222-0-25329200-1555178899_thumb.gif

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Going to be hard to wish this one away, I think.

Not only is there a downwelling KW present but there’s another WWB in the pipeline for later this month.

In spite of the recent WWB the subsurface profile west of 180 has become less favorable for El Nino in recent days.  I think we might have used up the excess heat in the Western Equatorial Pacific with the warm ENSO conditions of the past year.  Also bear in mind we had a major Nino not too long ago.  I question whether the system really "needs" another year of El Nino at this point.  My hope for next winter is neutral.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The potential El Nino just faded out into oblivion pretty much like all of our recent chances for rain.

It did?

• Like 1

The potential El Nino just faded out into oblivion pretty much like all of our recent chances for rain.

I wouldn't go that far yet.  The next few weeks to couple of months will be very telling.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Pretty much the whole Pacific has slightly above average SSTs. It is not concentrated near the Equator

cdas-sflux_ssta_global_1.png

Uhhhhh

57164025_10217212660500294_8376366170680

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

87-88.

That’s a 1/70 return rate. So yeah, pretty unlikely from a statistical point of view.

BTW, that was a late August peak, which was bizarre but only 8 weeks removed from the climatological window for peak ONI amplitude.

Verbatim the CFS actually peaks this one in late June, which has never happened going back to at least 1950.

That’s a 1/70 return rate. So yeah, pretty unlikely from a statistical point of view.

BTW, that was a late August peak, which was bizarre but only 8 weeks removed from the climatological window for peak ONI amplitude.

Verbatim the CFS actually peaks this one in late June, which has never happened going back to at least 1950.

As usual, give it another 1-2 months and it will probably start to close in on reality. The spring predictability barrier is very real. 

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

El Niño peaking in July? Seems likely..

:rolleyes:

It seems to me that what used to be "normal" ENSO behavior has ended.  Nothing really surprises me any more.  One very noteworthy thing is the last WWB did nothing to increase the subsurface warmth.  In fact the overall subsurface average is falling.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

As usual, give it another 1-2 months and it will probably start to close in on reality. The spring predictability barrier is very real. 

I'm cautiously optimistic for neutral by autumn.  Still very tenuous though.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Watch for another round of WWB activity May 5th - 15th.

Looks like a legit MJO orbit this go around with forcing getting into the EPAC/WHEM under a summer-mode NAM/extratropical wavetrain. Might be enough to torpedo the KW return/thermocline shoaling and trigger another downwelling wave, especially given the preceding easterlies.

59112082_10217272945847390_3073857370183

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Those SSTA maps (to the right of the graph) are so laughable. Not a chance in hell they verify.

Why does anyone pay attention to this trash model? It’s completely worthless. Better off with a random guess.

59112082_10217272945847390_3073857370183

LOL

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Here comes the next WWB cycle. I think this one could end up being quite strong, actually. Comes at a critical stage in the KW return/shoaling cycle and should resume warming the subsurface from late May into June.

LN4PcI7.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some recent updates from Ventrice  and Andy Hazelton over the last week.

Looking at some of the @NWSCPC ENSO products this morning - the upwelling Kelvin wave is starting to surface in the Eastern Pacific. Central Pacific still looks fairly warm for now. The overall subsurface warmth is actually below normal for the first time in over a year.

D6xDHJlUIAAQoiM.png

CFSv2 is starting to reamplify the western Pacific Low-Frequency forcing state again during the second half of June. This is opposite to what we'd we expect for El Nino advancement. This is more in lines with La Nina forcing.

D7BnS8FWwAACzVG.png

This wave will likely result in another trade surge over the Pacific in the Week 2-3 time frame.

D7LfY5fXkAYx0zf.png

I think we are getting close to the point in time on bailing on an "El Nino" signature in the Pacific this Summer... ESPECIALLY after looking at the amplitude of the upwelling Oceanic Kelvin wave entering the far eastern Pacific. This is the strongest upwelling KW in awhile

D7LftUhXsAA-BBp.png

• 2 years later...

That was back when I was predicting a +ENSO in 2019 and catching flack from the icepussies instead of the heat misers. Good times. :lol:

Though technically 2019/20 ended up a weaker +ENSO in terms of ONI than 2018/19, despite a more canonical atmospheric response (+IOD was the booster). I thought it would be the other way around.